Mount St. Mary's 2013

Re: Mount St. Mary's 2013

New postby laxnovice57 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

brotherlax wrote:Down 7-4 at half MSM needed a short blizzard to get them back into this game. Enjoy the win. I hope this teams stays with Gravante so they never win anything. I wouldn't count on a win against Towson.

As if it was only a blizzard on Bucknell's side of the field. Sheesh, lighten up, Francis.
laxnovice57

New postby 43239 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Did you actually watch the game? The mount offense scored between the driving snow, bucknell actually performed better during the horizontal flurries. The key to this game was the fogo who got the ball to the offense, defense not on its heals, and better goal keeping. They played with character. Re Offense, they will score on anyone, if they get the ball. Md game they didn't get the ball. This game they did. Regarding Gravante, he plays his best players who can play at this level, but demanded they have character of men not boys. Many of these young men have character, but not the ability. He carries 3/4 of the scholarship money of most d1, until two years ago it was 5 of allowable 12. Its a strict catholic school in the isolated hills of Emmittsburg; sadly, not a big draw for blue chippers. He's done well to get this group of offensive payers he has. Loyola has done a great job but with 3 times the money in the middle of a major city. You clearly have a personal issue with coach. if you have character, you will grow out of the the bitter bashing.

New postby 43239 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 pm

brotherlax wrote:The Mount has 2,273 undergrads - Loyola has 3,863 undergrads and a National Championship!

I'm not sure total undergrads is the defining reason for the continuing dissapointment. I might look to leadership first.

Actually mount page quotes 1700 undergrads, did you do a separate survey?. Just kidding. Re gravante, many variables in success in leadership. You coach? Run business? Lead people in anyway?, well if you do, you clearly know leading requires good followers. Bad followers are poison, good followers are a blessing. Don't be blinded by ego. If you played you have something strong in you, build on the good, reject the bitter.

New postby devtmm on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm

MSM 15 Delaware 11....Another big win against a quality opponent
devtmm

New postby 10stone5 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah - MSM & Gravante got a lot of grief after the Maryland game.

Continuing nice turnaround, with UVA next :!:
10stone5

New postby lax a tive on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Borgogelli had a good game in goal, defense stepped up today, and the offense scores when they have possession. Delaware gave up 2 cheap goals in the end when they put their goalie on the field, but The Mount controlled almost the entire game. A solid team effort over another quality opponent.
Hope brotherlax & Laxflowbrah find someone else to trash (or not!) for a while.
lax a tive

New postby devtmm on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Mount St. Mary's Races Past Delaware, 15-12, on Saturday afternoon.

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 23, 2013)--Brett Schmidt, Cody Lehrer and Andrew Scalley combined for 11 goals to lead Mount St. Mary's to a 15-12 win over Delaware on Saturday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium on campus. Scalley finished the game with a career-high nine points on three goals and six assists.

After Delaware's Nick Diachenko opened the scoring just 41 seconds into the game, the Mount (2-1) responded with four goals in a span of 4:26 for a 4-1 advantage. Daniel Stranix opened the scoring run, followed by a pair of goals from Brett Schmidt and one from Scalley.

Diachenko stopped the streak with his second goal of the game, but Lehrer answered for a 5-2 advantage. The high-octane first quarter continued as Delaware's Connor McRoy, Brett Schmidt, and Diachenko all scored in the final 1:36. When the dust settled, the Mount led 6-4 after one quarter of play.

After the high-scoring first quarter, the game settled down, as Scalley scored the lone goal of the second quarter to put the Mount ahead 7-4 at the half.

Lehrer and Bryant Schmidt opened the scoring in the third quarter for a 9-4 advantage, but Delaware responded with five unanswered goals to tie the game at 9-9. Brian Kormondy started the run with 8:08 left in the third quarter before Danny Keane cut the deficit to 9-6. Diachenko added back-to-back scores and the run was capped by a Kormondy goal with six seconds left in the quarter.

Lehrer put the Mount back ahead, 10-9, just under four minutes into the final quarter, but McRoy answered with 8:06 left to knot the score at 10-10.

The Mount took control of the game with three goals in a span of 3:21 to make it 13-10 with 3:11 left. Scalley scored the go-ahead goal, ripping a shot past the goalkeeper on a nice feed from Anthony Golden. Eric Ososki added his first goal of the season two minutes later and Lehrer's fourth goal of the game pushed the Mount lead to three with 3:11 left.

Scalley led the Mount with three goals and six assists for nine points. The senior has 17 points over the past two games, and leads the Mount with 19 points (7g, 12a) this year.

Lehrer finished with four goals and one assist in the game. He leads the Mount nine goals this year. Brett Schmidt added four goals in the win, extending his streak of consecutive games with at least one goal to 31.

Goalkeeper Adam Borgogelli won his second consecutive start, finishing with 13 saves in the game.

Diachenko paced Delaware with five goals and one assist while McRoy added two goals and two assists. Chris Herbert allowed 12 goals while making nine saves in 56:46 of action.

The Mount is back in action at Virginia on Tuesday, February 26, at 7:00 p.m.
devtmm

New postby Sholax on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

quickhandslax wrote:for anyone that watched the game it was terrible. The score shows just how bad the D and face-offs were. While the goalie play was not great it was to be expected with two freshman in net and the D really did not help them out. The thing that was the most troubling to see was how bad the Offence worked together, with 4 redshirt sr. and 2 sr. as your starters you would like to see more out of them. The Offence was "sit and watch" the guy with the ball and hope they beat their man and score. Hopefully the coaches can pull the team together to play to the level they should be or they could be looking at going 1-9 heading into conference play as there are really no soft games for them this year.

Hey, good call... keep on hatin' :roll:
Sholax

New postby Laxflowbrah on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:26 am

Guarantee coach said his game plan against UVA was to slow down his offense so it would slow uva's offense. Guy's gotta go. No inovation. Put that aa goalie at the helm and see what happens. What do they have to lose; a .48 winning percentage? Good luck against Towson.
Laxflowbrah

New postby Laxflowbrah on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 am

Lax Fidelis wrote:Let's wait and see how long the three newbie posters/ geniuses who voiced their collective displeasure in their total of four LP posts return to talk about today's win. The Mounties are not likely to beat UVa or Hopkins but they can beat Delaware,Towson, and perhaps Georgetown in the opening half of their schedule. I give them a lot of credit for stepping up to the plate. Look at Navy as a comparison.

Tom Gravante has forgotten more about lacrosse than the three of them ever had, or are likely to ever have.

You cannot look to navy as a comparison because they have fielded competitive teams, one which went to the national championship, in the same period that gravante was learning and forgetting. And why navy? Credit for stepping to the baseball plate? Navy was losing national titles to st johns In the last century. You're comparison makes no sense. Please, Just focus on south Carolina's division I lax programs - i men club - and leave the mid Atlantic discussions to everyone else.
Laxflowbrah

New postby 10stone5 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:35 am

The Return of Joe Disgruntled :rant: -----^

Hard to see how MSM wouldn't be the favorite against TU.
And Andrew Scalley is closing out a fabulous career, where he should garner serious AA consideration
10stone5

New postby brotherlax on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 pm

laxnovice57 wrote:
brotherlax wrote:Down 7-4 at half MSM needed a short blizzard to get them back into this game. Enjoy the win. I hope this teams stays with Gravante so they never win anything. I wouldn't count on a win against Towson.

As if it was only a blizzard on Bucknell's side of the field. Sheesh, lighten up, Francis.

Like i said, they were lucky to get by Bucknell as they were outplayed for most of the game. No way they were going to beat UVA and as i said in the quote above, they would likely lose to Towson. I really didn't expect them to be CRUSHED by Towson. Gravante should go back to the cow pastures of NY where it's a little easier to win.
"I'm bigger than you and higher in the food chain. Now get in my belly!"
brotherlax

New postby devtmm on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 am

What is your issue with Gravante?
devtmm

New postby lax a tive on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:53 am

Can't figure out whether Gravante cut him or his son!
lax a tive

New postby carolinaslaxfan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

Sholax wrote:
quickhandslax wrote:for anyone that watched the game it was terrible. The score shows just how bad the D and face-offs were. While the goalie play was not great it was to be expected with two freshman in net and the D really did not help them out. The thing that was the most troubling to see was how bad the Offence worked together, with 4 redshirt sr. and 2 sr. as your starters you would like to see more out of them. The Offence was "sit and watch" the guy with the ball and hope they beat their man and score. Hopefully the coaches can pull the team together to play to the level they should be or they could be looking at going 1-9 heading into conference play as there are really no soft games for them this year.

Hey, good call... keep on hatin' :roll:

I have no dog in the fight, but my son was recruited by MSM and it was one of those programs that just stood out. Why?????? It certainly wasn't because of resources. Their fieldhouse was OK and field was nice, but hey had a total of 4 schalies at the time and had just added their first full-time asst...and this was 2 yrs ago. It certainly wasn't their location....Emmitsburg is in the middle of nowhere where a night in Gettysburg is considered a big time. It certainly wasn't the school or the gorgeous co-eds. No offense...but they weren't great draws and there were only 1400 students. So why was it one of his top choices.....GRAVANTE. He's a hell'uva coach, man, role model and program builder. MSM is lucky they have Gravante who has built this program to where they can beat a Bucknell or Delaware and make it the NCAA tournament every now and then.

Can you imagine what he could do with 12.6? You detractors need to understand what you are running up against. A kid can play in Emmitsburg or he can play in High Point, Jacksonville, Greenville, Richmond or more vibrant NE towns and schools. Be realistic.
carolinaslaxfan

New postby NECLaxfan21 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 pm

As someone whos son has played against the Mount for the last 3 years now. I think the problem is Gravante, look at the amount of talent he has had come to him of recent, the Schmidt twins and Scalley currently,and DiBartolo in the past,if you look at their roster the talent is there NOW to be a top 20 team, yet they constantly fail to impress when it matters vs the top 20. That falls on the coach and the staff as a whole to put the team in a position to win those games and become a top 20 team. With the current HC they will never be a top 20 team
NECLaxfan21

New postby lax a tive on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 pm

& is your son on the team that Gravante et al beat for the NEC championship 2 years ago, or on one of the teams that he beat on his way to the championship game last year? Either way, you need to let go of your bitterness! Better luck to you & Junior this year!
lax a tive

New postby bartsouth on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm not advocating a change at Hobart, but it seems like one could be forthcoming at the end of this year if the current HC doesn't accomplish a few things this year. If that's the case, I think many, many alums and Hobart fans would be petty happy with coach gravante. And that's with alums that were near and or teammates of him like Jeff tambroni, Matt jr wick, frank fedorajka, guy and Marc van arsdale and bobby wynne. The guy overcame some pretty serious stuff to have accomplished a lot both in the past 3-4yrs ago, but also 10-15yrs ago.

I think those that don't appreciate Coach Gravante's work at MSM are barking up the wrong tree completely. Compare for a second his résumé to Brecht, Nelson (in DI), Stephenson, Burdick (at big east member Providence) and even guys like Marr, voelker, and even zim and schills and munch and Delaware then past few yeas. He's done more with less than guys like sacred heart, quinnipiac, Drexel, etc.

I'm sure the Towson loss is frustrating, but wins over bucknell and Delaware this year (and last in delaare's case) is already better wins than most teams from say #35 and lower will really sniff, so I don't see what the complaint is. Especially if they take the NEC which appears totally open between RMU, MSM and Bryant this year.
bartsouth

New postby brotherlax on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 am

MSM has won only 2/5 games this season. The three games that they have lost (likely four after Hopkins) have not been close. Of the two games that they have won only one was against a quality oppenent (Bucknell). Delaware has lost every game except the one vs. Highpoint in there first ever D1 appearence. I'm not sure I understand why this school is even in D1 athletics. MSM is a small school that would be better suited for D2 or D3 play. They would have there hands full competing with the top 10 of D3, and have no real shot of ever competing at the top of D1. If they ever want to be competitive at D1 then they will need a coaching change at the very least and probably a change in the admin of the school. This is not a foreign concept.
"I'm bigger than you and higher in the food chain. Now get in my belly!"
brotherlax

New postby quickhandslax on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58 am

First, I litke Gravanty. He is a good man that would do anything he could to help out all of us that have played for him. He has done a great job of getting the program to were it is. The problem that most people have is that the program seem to have gone as high as it can under him. The last post asked why people he is a bad coach when you have better wins then any other team 35 and down? Well the problem is that this team should be a top 20 team. If they would have showed up and beat towson they would be in the top 20 this week. It is the standard, people want to see this program taken to the next level and they are not sure Gravanty can do that. This team has 3 players that are in the top 25 in points (in the nation) yet they could only put in 5 against towson. (and they are the only team that has 3 in the top 25 in points and the only other team with 2 is air force)One could say the players just didn't show up to play and that could be it, but the coach will still take some heat for not having them ready to play. On the whole Gravanty has done a great job to get the team to this point but it seems he cant take the team to the next level.
quickhandslax

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division I