Syracuse Recruits

Re: Syracuse Recruits

New postby offense9 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm

I was also impressed with Maltz. Showed some "sick" stick fakes and liked his quickness as well. His "game" actually reminded me of Kenny Nims.
offense9

New postby Powellfan22 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 pm

So the good news is that Randy Staats was averaging 6 points a game for the Six Nations Arrows in Junior A this season ... I say was because he's been out the last few games with an "infection near his knee". Hope that heals quickly given his past knee injuries.

http://www.ilindoor.com/2013/07/10/ola- ... Insider%29
Powellfan22

New postby jesterlax on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:27 pm

A group of the incoming Freshman will be playing together at the Lake Placid tournament in a couple of weeks
jesterlax

New postby Powellfan22 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

Just took a look at the LP data base and it looks like two new face-off recruits have been added, Michael Iacono from Nassau CC (by way of Smithtown) and Alex Schoen from Milburn, NJ. That gives the Orange three new FOGOs for next year and with Harris and Parker in the '15 class, a total of five for the next two years. Looks like they're starting to stockpile FOGOs like goalies (can't say I disagree with this strategy).

Anywas, any info about the two new guys would be much apprecitated.

Also Vella from OCC was added to the Laxpower list but not his teammate Harris.

http://www.laxpower.com/recruits/recrui ... cruits2013
Powellfan22

New postby ohmilax34 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:12 am

A few observations from this busy recruiting time...

I had the same thoughts when watching the UA AA game about Forkin and Maltz. Forkin reminded me of Perritt and Maltz reminded me of Nims. If attack wasn't so crowded this season, I would expect Maltz to get some time. Forkin's a middie. I really liked watching Forkin. He's a cold-blooded shooter.

I didn't see Nick Weston either. I didn't look too hard. I deleted the game from my DVR. Can't stand listening to those announcers. Garceau actually said "United Arab Emmer-Tis". Twice.

The class coming in is exciting. Not much being said about Matt Lane, Spencer Schmitt, Jimmy Wyrick. I think Schmitt is considered a really good athlete. Maybe a D middie. Lane looks very skilled and huge. I wonder if he can find some time, not this season, but later on.

Schoen's highlight video is impressive. He's a pinch and pop guy. He scored quite a few goals from starting fast breaks. That would be a great asset if he can do that in college. Hopefully all these face off guys can make each other better. I expect a small improvement from last season.

The JUCO face off guy is 6'4".

Kevin Harris is Matt Harris' brother.
ohmilax34

New postby Reddawg on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:16 pm

On Spencer Schmidt (I've seen it spelled Schmidt and Schmitt; San Diego newspaper had it as Schmidt):

Here's a report in June 2013 from 3d lacrosse, which specializes in evaluating h.s. talent all over the country:

"The best word to describe the way Spencer plays lacrosse is 'silky.' He is a smooth operator on the field who never looks uncomfortable regardless of the situation. Spencer has a demoralizing change of direction/split dodge, quick acceleration, vision, skill, and confidence. On several occasions, against Coronado, he looked to be in trouble only to split a double team and find an open team mate for an easy finish. Spencer is terrific shooter as well. He can blow one by a goalie with a powerful time & room shot or beat him on the run with deception or accuracy."

(See: http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.ph ... 716&page=8)

Here's hoping he is anywhere near that good at the next level! He was named to the all-San Diego Section second team in 2013, along with Jake Seau, son of the late Junior Seau (RIP). (Jake is headed to Duke in 2014.)
Reddawg

New postby tech37 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:26 am

Nice! If he's anything like another west-coast middie called Spencer who wore orange... :clap:
tech37

New postby Reddawg on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am

On Michael Iacono:
6'5", 215
Nassau Community College
(from Smithtown West HS)

2nd team Juco All-American as a freshman in 2012
1st team Juco All-American as a soph in 2013
Region XV MVP in 2013

Stats:
won 56 of 72 facoffs
77.8%
113 ground balls
8 goals 2 assists, 10 points

I'm assuming the stats on faceoffs MUST be incomplete, but that's what I was able to find.

Cuse has had some success with JC transfers in recent years: most notably in the case of Sid Smith, but also Cody Jamieson and Matt Pratt, to name a few that readily come to mind. I've talked to college coaches who say that the talent gap between D1 and Juco has grown tremendously over the years, but OCC obviously has turned out some very good players. Hopefully, Iacono can give SU a big lift at the FO "x"!
Reddawg

New postby Powellfan22 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 am

@cvock Just confirmed 2 new commits: Josh Pulver, D, Fayetteville-Manlius (NY) '13 to Syracuse, brother Jake Pulver, D, F-M '14 to Cornell.

Josh (6'1/205) was named to the Post Standard's All CNY Team this year. Looks like he switched his commitment from Cortland to the Orange. That brings a total of 4 new defensemen to the '13 recruiting class since the season ended. :think:

Here's a write up from 3d Lacrosse:

#15 Josh Pulver 2013
Fayetteville-Manlius High School, Manlius, NY
Position: Defense
Sub-Position: On-Ball
Rating: Legit

Josh looks like the defender you don’t want to anger – he’s big, strong, and just looking for an excuse to run you over. If he’s playing you, your arms will know it. His slap checks come from a different area code and you’re simply not going to get top side on him. He’s strong and aggressive on ground balls and he loves to carry the ball upfield, which is bad news for attackmen thinking about getting in his way. Quick on his feet, he’ll get his team the ball by chasing out missed shots, too.

http://3dlacrosse.com/3d-rising/upstate-ny-49

Sounds promising.
Powellfan22

New postby longtimefan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Reddawg wrote:On Michael Iacono:
6'5", 215
Nassau Community College
(from Smithtown West HS)

2nd team Juco All-American as a freshman in 2012
1st team Juco All-American as a soph in 2013
Region XV MVP in 2013

Stats:
won 56 of 72 facoffs
77.8%
113 ground balls
8 goals 2 assists, 10 points

I'm assuming the stats on faceoffs MUST be incomplete, but that's what I was able to find.

Cuse has had some success with JC transfers in recent years: most notably in the case of Sid Smith, but also Cody Jamieson and Matt Pratt, to name a few that readily come to mind. I've talked to college coaches who say that the talent gap between D1 and Juco has grown tremendously over the years, but OCC obviously has turned out some very good players. Hopefully, Iacono can give SU a big lift at the FO "x"!

Where are they going to find room for all of these guys? The incoming class (yes, not all freshmen) is around 25. I expect more than a few from last season's team will not be returning.
longtimefan

New postby FrontierLax on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:57 pm

This list is not entirely accurate (neither are other lists -- notice Ferguson listed as both a 2014 recruit and a 2015 recruit). One player is not even a high schooler any more (Joe Gillis was a freshman last year for Syracuse -- he's on this 2013 list). Another listed transfer is apparently a mistake. One of the attackman might end up in junior college first. Also sounds like there's some cuts on the way, and a couple guys might not be coming back. However, there are actually a couple names missing, including one who I believe is trying to walk on (so no guarantee that would be an actual addition). Should be interesting to see which kids actually end up making it to Syracuse and get onto the roster.
FrontierLax

New postby Powellfan22 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Frontier, is Albie DiPasquale the walk-on you're talking about? He doesn't seem like your typical walk-on. Listed below is his awards/accomplishments for 2013:

USLacrosse All American, SportsFive (Offensive) Player of the Year, D&C All-Greater Rochester Super 16 (Att), 1st All Section, All League 1st Team Attack (MC-d1), Roch USLacrosse Sr All Star Game (Attack)

Should be interesting to see where he fits in. And yes, like Frontier said, the roster will look much different in the fall than what we think it will look like right now, and it will probably change again in the Spring.

Lastly, a new '15 recruit - Sean Mackin from Ohio:

@ILPreps
Sean Mackin, M, Chagrin Falls, Oh., '15, has committed to Cuse. 23G/15A as soph. Plays club for @brlax; played varsity football as freshman.

Wondering if the Orange will go after any '16 recruits. Don't like the practice, so hoping they don't. But they weren't going after the rising sophomores until everyone else did (and it seems like a lot of people are). Something to look out for.
Powellfan22

New postby Willy23 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Brennen Ferguson, A, Niagara-Wheatfield (N.Y.)/Team Vapor
Ferguson, a Native American player from the Tuscarora area, is a massive kid with a powerful shot in close. His lone goal on the contest game, which came in the start of the fourth quarter, was wicked enough to induce an “oooh!” from the audience members in attendance. He’s committed to Syracuse.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/07/24/nikes-ride-champ-game-10-who-impressed-award-winners
Willy23

New postby Reddawg on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Is it just my imagination, or does the number of SU recruits announced over the summer seem unusually small? I'm not talking about incoming freshmen and transfers, who, it sometimes seems, will soon outnumber the returning members of the team! :shock: I'm talking about the classes of 2014, '15, and '16.

It's true that heading into the summer Cuse already had a good-size class of 2014 (more than a dozen), headed by attackman Bradley Voigt and a strong corps of middies. Brad McKinney (Watertown) and Brennan Ferguson (Niagara Wheatfield) have both been getting some very positive ink on the summer recruiting circuit. But the only new recruits I'm aware of are:

Max Parker, FO/M, class of 2014 from Lake Highland Prep in Florida;

Riley O'Connor, A/M, class of 2015 from Don Bosco Prep in NJ;

and Sean Mackin, M, class of 2015 from Chagrin Falls Ohio who had 23 goals and a bunch of assists as a sophomore in 2013.

In the meantime, Ty Xanders of IL has credited Ohio State with "stealing" middie Brandon Barker, Pittsford 2015, from 'Cuse. Careless choice of words, no doubt.

There are, of course, numerous uncommitted players still out there. Two who caught my eye:

Travis Ford, M, Webster Thomas (NY) 2016:
Not only did the Rochester area product nail two goals on the night, but he also won the halftime fastest shot competition with a 96 mph blast. Ford can sling it from long range, using a stutter step to create separation and get his hands free. Really impressive alley dodger who can shoot well with either hand and place it where the goalie has a hard time making a save.

Nick Yevoli, M, Massapequa (NY) 2015
How is this kid not committed yet? Yevoli won almost double-digit FO's, drew ooh's and ahh's from the crowd with his moves and could separate when dodging up top, tallying a goal and an assist. Once he works on his shot (he did however have a great off-hip goal falling down), he'll be a rather complete player. In my opinion, Yevoli is arguably the best uncommitted '15 out there, but he should be off the board in the next month.

Both comments are from IL coverage of the Maverik Showtime in CT. Yevoli must be at least a cousin, maybe a younger brother, of Joe Yevoli, who after three years at VA played his final year of eligibility at SU and if I remember correctly made 3rd team AA at attack.

Hopefully, both of these kids are on the SU coaching staff's radar screen. Who else? Tell us, Casey!
Reddawg

New postby Reddawg on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Looks like I forgot to mention Kevin Hutchings, A/M, of Marcellus HS, class of 2014, who will be taking a PG year, so he becomes a 2015 recruit.

Casey Vock tweeted his commitment to Syracuse on June 12, and Willy23 added it to this forum on the same day. Summer recruit? I won't nitpick.
Reddawg

New postby ohmilax34 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:22 pm

The number of rising junior commits is a little small and I expect the number to increase throughout the fall as it usually does. I like the 2 classes above it so I'm not gonna freak out yet.
ohmilax34

New postby Powellfan22 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am

Add another recruit to next year's class?

Nishan Ketchoyian (A), Binghamton, N.Y., Binghamton HS (2013), Syracuse University

According to the Champion All American showcase. Can't find out too much info on him though. Maybe a walk-on?

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.ph ... 836&page=4

To add to Reddawgs point, it seems like the Orange are actually adding more to this year's class (which is already stacked) then to any other class (Ketchoyian, Pulver, Harris, Vella, DeMarco, Schoen, Wenham, Iacono). Anyways, like I said before, as teams focus more on '16 recruits, Syracuse seems content recruiting older players. Doesn't seem like a bad idea, as they may be exposing a market inefficiency with the other ACC/Big 10 teams that seem infatuated with the youngsters. Very interested to see if Syracuse keeps up this strategy.
Powellfan22

New postby Powellfan22 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 pm

@cvock: David Dilts, D, Culver Academy, IN (2015) has committed to Syracuse. Also plays for @truelacrosse.
Powellfan22

New postby Powellfan22 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Casey Vock listed Randy Staats as one of his "Winners" for the week, along with Casey Powell. Worth a mention:

Casey Vock (@cvock)
Casey Powell — This guy should be on the world team in 2014. Nice to see he was included in the list of guys invited to try out. Team USA will need the best players on the field in 2014, and CP has shown he’s still as good as anyone out there. Bonus winners: Randy Staats and the Six Nations Arrows. Staats pulled off a wicked clutch three-goal, four-assist performance Sunday night in helping the Six Nations Arrows win their OLA Junior A semifinals series against Peterborough. Staats, who’s looking like a strong candidate to play for the Iroquois Nationals next year at the world games, had battled off an infection on his leg (not the same leg he hurt twice in his career) to come back strong and led the Arrows to victory. Up next is what should be a great battle against Whitby for the Ontario title.

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/07/ ... box-fights
Powellfan22

New postby ohmilax34 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 am

Vaughn Harris has had a nice OLA playoffs as well. He seems to put up a few points every night and this series was pretty low scoring.
ohmilax34

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division I