Johns Hopkins 2018

Re: Johns Hopkins 2018

New postby johnnyonthegunpowder on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:19 pm

I didn't have a chance to watch this one yesterday, and I don't know if I'll be able to bring myself to after reading these posts, especially with Shack getting injured.

In other news though, insane scoring yesterday: Yale put up 27, Loyola 23, and Princeton 24. The Ivy tournament will be interesting.
johnnyonthegunpowder

New postby jhu06 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Aside from the obvious which has already been stated and agonized over
-another Oh fer on emo.
-Forry was back, good to see.
-Marr may hit more pipes and goalie masks than any other player. Eventually those will hit net instead.
-If there is any doubt on shacks health, sit him versus michigan.
-Three rough games in a row at the X.
-Clearing, which had been a strength and been a top 10 statistic nationally was not great yesterday and two failed clears led directly to goals. Brock has to be smarter.
-They dug a hole but again didn't lay down and almost came back and won. Speaks to the heart in the lockerroom. In other years 10-4 might have ended up as 15-7.
-Still on pace for an ncaa home game, something we haven't been able to say this early in the season very often over the last decade.
-Last few weeks of b1g play Fraser has announced himself as more than an outside shooter. Had a terrific ct late in the 4th as well.
jhu06

New postby HopFan16 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 pm

SteelHop2 wrote:Marr also leads the team in penalties and PIM. Not exactly something you would want out of your attackman.

Since the Loyola game, which we all know was a disaster, he's only accrued 1 minute of penalty time. You've posted about as much in the last 24 hours as you have throughout the monthlong 7-game winning streak. Anything else to add while we've got you here?

jhu06 wrote:-If there is any doubt on shacks health, sit him versus michigan.

This is my view as well. Without knowing how bad the injury is (he did gingerly run off the field on his own power, so my hope is it's not too severe), if you can't beat Michigan without Shack then we've got bigger problems. The important thing now has to be getting him healthy for B1G/NCAA tournament play. The silver lining is you're getting Forry minutes and getting Cole experience in the offense without #32 conducting the orchestra.
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby HopAlum80 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:06 pm

I didn't like using a pole against Arceri. The Jays have three face-off men. Just play them in rotation and wear the guy down. Arceri wore down yesterday in the second half anyway.

If you're going to use a pole on the draw, cover the wings. Arceri was able to dump off to a wide open man every time. The strategy was ill-conceived and poorly executed and not surprisingly backfired.

I still think the Jays would have prevailed yesterday if Shack hadn't been injured. He's worth at least 3 points in any game.

Hope the Jays learn from this defensively moving forward. Penn State exposed a ton of defensive weaknesses but I think they are things that are correctable. This team has shown resilience this year and I would expect them to bounce back against Michigan and give UMD a game at Homewood. PT for Forry and #25 at the X should pay dividends in the future.
HopAlum80

New postby jhu06 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:58 pm

the 8 out of 10 to start the season was one of their best starts over the last decade. They have the talent to figure it out. I don't get how 6 days of scheming and practicing and they come out flat but then in 15 minutes of half time they seem to figure it out.

Lot of goalies would've been pulled after giving up 10 in the first half. Petro seemed to have faith Brock would turn it around and/or believe they weren't his fault.

Onto Michigan and I really don't want 6 days of reading why we shouldn't and won't win this game by 7-8 goals because they beat a weakened notre dame team.
jhu06

New postby hoponboard on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm

When the coaches finally put Cole on EMO and he scores on three straight opportunities, they will wonder why they waited so long. 28 6 on 6 goals is a pretty good indicator that Williams may thrive on 6 on 5.
hoponboard

New postby HopAlum80 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:48 pm

He'd be pretty effective on the crease IMO, especially with teams pressing out to cover Fraser and Marr.
HopAlum80

New postby hoponboard on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Williams would probably draw a double, making it 6 on 4.
hoponboard

New postby WOMBAT on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 pm

6 on 5
1 guy ties up 2 out of the play.
That effectively leaves 5 on 3, not 6 on 4.

Know what you meant though.
WOMBAT, Moderator Emeritus
Make Hopkins Lacrosse Great Again! CC killed the cats.
WOMBAT - persecuted by mods since 1997.
He can be reached at 87wombat@gmail.com
WOMBAT

New postby Jaysjay on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I know Shack has never been the fastest guy on the field, but did anyone else notice that he has been a bit slower to the end line of late, struggling to accelerate for shots out of bounds? Wondering if he was playing injured and this latest is an aggravation of an existing condition?

Anyway, I was happy to see the Jays play a decent second half even without their quarterback on offense. Hope he heals fast.
Jaysjay

New postby Hop56 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm

hoponboard wrote:When the coaches finally put Cole on EMO and he scores on three straight opportunities, they will wonder why they waited so long. 28 6 on 6 goals is a pretty good indicator that Williams may thrive on 6 on 5.

I’m all for putting Cole on the EMO but which left hander will be coming out? Marr Fraser or Shack (assuming he’s healthy) And do any of you really think Benson will remove any of those guys from the unit?
Hop56

New postby hoponboard on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Shack, Cole, Marr, DeSimone, Shilling and Tinney.

Fraser has shown himself to be a good finisher in recent gsmes and has warmed up from the outside, so I might substitute him for Tinney and play Williams in the middle. Cole can use either hand.
hoponboard

New postby HopFan16 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:31 pm

hoponboard wrote:Shack, Cole, Marr, DeSimone, Shilling and Tinney.

Fraser has shown himself to be a good finisher in recent gsmes and has warmed up from the outside, so I might substitute him for Tinney and play Williams in the middle. Cole can use either hand.

You'd take Tinney off EMO??? He's probably the team's best skip passer, which is one of the most important skills on an EMO. He's leading the team in man-up assists. There is absolutely no way I'm taking him off.

Cole should take Shack's spot if Shack can't go. Otherwise you have a tough decision to make, but to me it does not involve removing either your best passer (Tinney) or your best stretch shooter (Fraser) who forces the D to extend out and rotate just by being on the field. That's irreplaceable. Fraser's presence out there creates the room that allows for the easy dunks on the crease.

Jaysjay wrote:I know Shack has never been the fastest guy on the field, but did anyone else notice that he has been a bit slower to the end line of late, struggling to accelerate for shots out of bounds? Wondering if he was playing injured and this latest is an aggravation of an existing condition?

Anyway, I was happy to see the Jays play a decent second half even without their quarterback on offense. Hope he heals fast.

Shack has been playing banged up for several years now. I'm worried the PSU injury was indeed an aggravation of his existing back issues. After seeing him jog off I thought for sure we'd see him back out there quickly but there must have been enough concern to not push things.

Knowing Petro, we're not going to hear a single peep about his status. I imagine Ed Lee will ask him about it during the week and he'll say something like "day to day" or "dealing with some things" or "next man up," etc etc.
HopFan16

New postby jhu72 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 am

Agree with SteelHop2, Petro paniced in the 1st quarter and IMO it effected team play, it spread to the field. Very uncharacteristic for this team. They regained their cool, but it took a quarter. I don't understand why he did, but he did. I thought it was pretty clear early on that Arceri would likely tire, which he did. Don't understand why you go with the uncontested pole. I would have kept forcing Arceri to grind every faceoff, against someone other than Moreland. They finally settled on that strategy and it paid dividends. Could have done it earlier and without the panic.

If you really want to play the game of conceding the FO and trying to cause a turnover, you don't need a pole. Jones would be much more effective given his speed and ability to change direction quickly.

They Jay's played poorly in a number of facits of the game, they lost by two after throwing a good scare into the PSU team. Everyone in the stadium and the PSU team were expecting a UVA like comeback and the Jay's almost delivered. Jay's made too many unforced errors in the last 4 minutes of the game. PSU to their credit hung tough.

The offense did well even without Shack, nonetheless, I suspect the result may have been different if Shack had not been injured. I though it was made clear, none of the freshman playing on attack are at Forry's level.

Jay's learn the lessons and move on. Win next week and they are guarantteed a spot in the BIG tournament, they still have a chance to take the first spot by winning out. I like their chances of beating Maryland at home more than I ever did the chances of beating PSU on the road.

Take Michigan seriously, prepare for the game and forget about the loss.
Go Turtles! Current holders of the longest running D1 Lacrosse Championship drought among teams to ever win a championship. 42 years.
jhu72

New postby hoponboard on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 am

Tinney has 2 goals and 4 assists on man up. Fraser and Smith have two goals each. Shack, Hubler and Shilling have one each. Marr has three goals to lead the team. In the last ten games, the unit is 9-31. That's a huge drop-off from 2017 which is an anomaly since Hopkins has improved in most statistical categories from last season.

Earlier in the season, right handed middies did not have success from the outside. Fraser did not light it up from the left. Most of the success has been on the inside and on the crease. What has been missing has been a dodging threat. Enter Williams. No longer would defenses be able to crowd around Tinney or Smith. Cole's dodging would open up crease opportunities if he doesn't can it himself. Not to mention skip pass opportunities to the top of the key or step down shots from the right side.

It's past due to give opposing defenses something to fear on Hop's EMO.
hoponboard

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 am

Why exactly are we discussing the EMO with such fervor right now? It had nothing to do with the most recent game. Hopkins had 1 30 sec man advantage - without their offensive quarterback in the game. The possession didn't run like a Swiss watch but IIRC they retained possession after the penalty expired which is half the battle in a 30 second EMO because most of the time you panic when it is running out and you think you have to shoot because you're up a guy and that's what you're supposed to do. I wonder what the stat for NCAA lacrosse is, but it is of course Captain Obvious at the helm that you do not score nearly as often on technical fouls as you do on personal fouls. Rutgers - a very good passing team - went 0-6 on technical fouls against Maryland yesterday and the Terps went 0-1 on technicals. I agree it's a bit odd that Cole Williams is not on EMO - again - I think it probably comes down to probably two things:
- Keeping one more player engaged - they have tried 3 instead of Cole - Petro and Benson like scoring goals - they are not doing this out of spite
- HOB used the operative word "Cole dodging" - you are NEVER supposed to dodge on EMO - ball movement and getting to open spaces are the key - if the ball dies in someone's stick against a zone - you help the zone - maybe when he's out there in practice he can't resist - who knows?

I certainly agree - he would seem to be a big target and a handful if he camped out in the middle and it is logical he would help out Fraser and Marr.

But I care much more about why the face-offs have fallen off the face of the earth and the offensive efficiency by opponents in the last three games. If those improve - the game will be affected much more than Cole being on EMO. We have scored 13, 13 and 12 the last 3 games - against some pretty darn good defenses - offense and scoring goals is maybe the least of the problems.

Noseworthy, Curran and Young better have your attention - lopsided possession advantage because of face-offs/bad clears and turnovers and this is not going to be the game anybody thinks it's going to be.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:29 am

Can anyone that knows him ask Ernie or find out if there is going to be some ability to watch the game on the computer? Michigan's lax web-site now says BTN Plus - but BTNPlus or BTN2GO has no record of it on the schedule. I was hoping in this day and age it was being streamed somewhere.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby SteelHop2 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:21 am

HopFan16 wrote:Since the Loyola game, which we all know was a disaster, he's only accrued 1 minute of penalty time. You've posted about as much in the last 24 hours as you have throughout the monthlong 7-game winning streak. Anything else to add while we've got you here?

Okay, thanks posting police. I've posted numerous times but I have numerous issues like a job and vacation that require my attention. Just since you seemed to be concerned, I'll be missing from May 23 through June 5th with the likelihood of disappearing during the summer and early fall because of the lack of news.
SteelHop2

New postby HopFan16 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

It may have been a late addition to the BTN Plus schedule. Seeing as Michigan would be responsible for the broadcast (BTN Plus is 100% run by the home team and not the network itself) if it's on their schedule then that probably means it'll be available. The Jays various social media accounts have done a good job telling people how and where to watch the games in the week leading up.

In his IL top 20 post, Quint said that the word is Shack hurt his ribs. I'll leave the specific scenarios to the orthopedists but my understanding is, while it can be extremely painful, it's not something that will keep him out for too long. But if there's any risk whatsoever of making things worse then he's gotta sit against the Wolverines.
HopFan16

New postby SteelHop2 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 am

Cyanocitta Cristata wrote:Can anyone that knows him ask Ernie or find out if there is going to be some ability to watch the game on the computer? Michigan's lax web-site now says BTN Plus - but BTNPlus or BTN2GO has no record of it on the schedule. I was hoping in this day and age it was being streamed somewhere.

I think 06 mentioned this when the TV schedule came out so I don't think it is "new" that the game is on BTN Plus. From what I recall 06 stated that it was likely a moneygrab by B!G to force Hopkins fans to pay for B!G plus to watch the game.
SteelHop2

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division I