ESPNU Lacrosse Coverage and other ESPN news

Re: ESPNU Lacrosse Coverage and other ESPN news

New postby trysail on Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 am

FannOLax wrote:
MM11 wrote:Quints talk of "faking an equipment malfunction just to by some extra time for his defense" during the Georgetown /JHU game doesn't show much sportmanship.

Indeed. Quint essentially said that the Georgetown goalkeeper should have cheated, then explained in a bit more detail the particular cheating ruse. Wonderful; just wonderful.

Agree. See my comment above.
trysail

New postby voyuer on Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 am

Question: no comment on the sportsmanship of QK's suggestion or the following: Could a coach accomplish the same thing, slowing down the momentum and giving the D a quick rest, by asking the ref for a "Stick Check" on a certain player???
voyuer

New postby vipersback on Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 am

Question: no comment on the sportsmanship of QK's suggestion or the following: Could a coach accomplish the same thing, slowing down the momentum and giving the D a quick rest, by asking the ref for a "Stick Check" on a certain player???

..... or having a player fake an injury, or knock out the lights during a night or indoor game (aka Superbowl XLVII), etc,etc. Maybe we'll learn about those techniques from the ESPNU folks during the quarter finals and final four!?!?

A more novel idea might be to use one of two timeouts that have been allotted to the team if available.
vipersback

New postby steakandeggs on Tue May 15, 2018 6:46 pm

dmaclaxnut11 wrote:
steakandeggs wrote:Why must ESPNU put 2 Syracuse graduates (at least I think they graduated),

Why such a meatless, snarky comment eggs? Yup, they both graduated and are doing well. (Beardsey won the State Championship with his CBA team last year) How's that egg on your face feeling?

Apparently you're the one who liked the coverage! :lol:
steakandeggs

New postby Gorilla Fan on Tue May 15, 2018 8:29 pm

After being at the game, then watching it on DVR, thought Alter and Boyle did a great job.

Covered the game, identified strategies, highlighted critical points without being boisterous and lame.

Would love to see that crew again.
Gorilla Fan

New postby oldhopper on Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Any of you thinking that a goalie, or other player, trying to gain an advantage? Wake up and smell the roses, baby. Sports at all levels have been doing this since probably before the very first Olympic Games in Ancient Greece.

I think that you are just shocked that Quint actually mentioned this issue on live TV!

Spare us your indignation please.
oldhopper

Location: Hattiesburg, MS from:(CT, Manhattan, Boston, Columbia SC!) Ecuador seems to the next potential stop.

New postby Dunker on Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm just glad they televise the games. However, ESPN should be promoting the hell out of Baptiste v Irelan matchup this Saturday. Never has lax had an individual heavyweight Mano a Mano battle like this. SportsCenter should be all over it
Dunker

New postby oldhopper on Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 pm

With respect? Viewers who do not already know about these guys will not be swayed to watch, as far as they are concerned, some minor league niche sport by blurbs on Sportcenter.
oldhopper

Location: Hattiesburg, MS from:(CT, Manhattan, Boston, Columbia SC!) Ecuador seems to the next potential stop.

New postby wgdsr on Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 pm

vipersback wrote:

..... or having a player fake an injury, or knock out the lights during a night or indoor game (aka Superbowl XLVII), etc,etc. Maybe we'll learn about those techniques from the ESPNU folks during the quarter finals and final four!?!?

A more novel idea might be to use one of two timeouts that have been allotted to the team if available.

yes you can. did it once, about 8 years ago. end game, knockout regional final. guys were exhausted in the heat.
only one ever called, had them check the goalie. set up a faceoff. would do it again. hope that doesn't make me a bad person.
wgdsr

New postby Dunker on Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 am

oldhopper wrote:With respect? Viewers who do not already know about these guys will not be swayed to watch, as far as they are concerned, some minor league niche sport by blurbs on Sportcenter.

Need to at least mention games. NY papers had no listings that there were even games last weekend. The FOGO lure adds to game interest. The sport goes on and interest grows without HOP dominance of yesteryear.
Dunker

New postby trysail on Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am

oldhopper wrote:Any of you thinking that a goalie, or other player, trying to gain an advantage? Wake up and smell the roses, baby. Sports at all levels have been doing this since probably before the very first Olympic Games in Ancient Greece.

I think that you are just shocked that Quint actually mentioned this issue on live TV!

So, where do YOU draw the line? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Eleventh Commandment ("Don't get caught")?
Fudging eligibility?
Illegal sticks?
Hiring players?
Intentionally injuring an opponent?
trysail

New postby relaxachussetts on Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 am

Dunker wrote:I'm just glad they televise the games. However, ESPN should be promoting the hell out of Baptiste v Irelan matchup this Saturday. Never has lax had an individual heavyweight Mano a Mano battle like this. SportsCenter should be all over it

As good as they are at one of the most highly specialized positions in any sport, we're in trouble if a match-up between fogos is the selling point for a playoff game.
relaxachussetts

New postby VONL on Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am

Love all the fans of this sport. Passionate discussions all year long. I would disagree on two things here.

Quint: Providing you with an insight as a player who did it at the highest level and his job is to provide potential nuggets like that. Thats why you have a player/coach in that role. They report things like that because they have experienced things like that.

When I work with Mark Dixon on BTN he is a wealth of info as a player/coach and Ref that you can't get. Thus that knowledge he provides is exclusive to his skills that he brings to the broadcast and adds something to it.

Albany-Denver: In the analytic age, what these two players are doing is extraordinary. Having both in the same match up is the #1 key in this game. Which guy gets the ball for his team? So it merits the promotion that it will receive. The players work has earned it.

Keep supporting the great players and schools who play the game.. See you next year.
VONL

New postby CU88 on Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

trysail wrote:
MM11 wrote:Quints talk of "faking an equipment malfunction just to by some extra time for his defense" during the Georgetown /JHU game doesn't show much sportmanship.

I'm glad somebody else caught that and found it as objectionable as I did.

I found it "off putting"; but understand that sometimes it happens during a game.

Does anyone think that he did this more than twice in his JHU tenure?

I would have loved his fellow announcer to have asked, what game or how many times in his career he took such action during a game. I find it hard to believe that opposing coaches or Ref's would have allowed this to occur on any sort of a regular basis.

Anyone here a Ref, are there instructions to watch for this delay tactic and an appropriate penalty?
A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.
Mark Twain
CU88

New postby XXXXXXX on Wed May 16, 2018 11:38 am

trysail wrote:
oldhopper wrote:Any of you thinking that a goalie, or other player, trying to gain an advantage? Wake up and smell the roses, baby. Sports at all levels have been doing this since probably before the very first Olympic Games in Ancient Greece.

So, where do YOU draw the line? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Eleventh Commandment ("Don't get caught")?
Fudging eligibility?
Illegal sticks?
Hiring players?
Intentionally injuring an opponent?

The line will always be pushed as far as it can be until someone stops it. Buddy Ryan used to have his players fake injuries at the end of games when he had no timeouts to stop the clock. It goes on at every level to some degree or another. A college lacrosse player with an equipment issue hardly seems like a big conspiracy to me.
XXXXXXX

New postby Dunker on Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am

relaxachussetts wrote:
Dunker wrote:I'm just glad they televise the games. However, ESPN should be promoting the hell out of Baptiste v Irelan matchup this Saturday. Never has lax had an individual heavyweight Mano a Mano battle like this. SportsCenter should be all over it

As good as they are at one of the most highly specialized positions in any sport, we're in trouble if a match-up between fogos is the selling point for a playoff game.

Sport not in trouble, but television viewing is small. There is a distinction. Try to increase ratings with a natural set up. Kids in Texas or Cali don't care about Hop/Cuse type matchup. NU/Albany not a Brand name/must watch to people taking up lax in last 10 years. but fogo matchup is alluring. Baptiste has a positive cult like following among Millenials. Remember, Lakers-Celtics, was great drama, but NBA and ABC promoted Russell v Chamberlain to get extra viewers. (also Bird v Magic).
Dunker

New postby trysail on Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm

FannOLax wrote:

Indeed. Quint essentially said that the Georgetown goalkeeper should have cheated, then explained in a bit more detail the particular cheating ruse. Wonderful; just wonderful.

It was (obviously) appalling to me that Kessenich directly advocated cheating.

:naughty: :naughty:
Last edited by trysail on Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trysail

New postby relaxachussetts on Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Not disparaging either player, just not a big fan of what the emergence of the fogo has done to the game. No other sport has a position like this.

However dominant TD and Baptiste are, we can't equate them to Bird v Magic or Russell v Chamberlain, can we? None of those 4 legends took a jump ball and ran off the court until the next one.
relaxachussetts

New postby dmaclaxnut11 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Vinatieri has won more than a game or two just coming out for one play then leaving the field, no?
What has the emergence of the FOGO "done to the game"?
dmaclaxnut11

New postby UAalum72 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm

dmaclaxnut11 wrote:Vinatieri has won more than a game or two just coming out for one play then leaving the field, no?
What has the emergence of the FOGO "done to the game"?
But the NFL doesn’t promote a game as a matchup of field goal kickers.
Neither of these guys are strictly faceoff, they both play some minutes on attack
It's the University AT Albany, not "of". Vermont is UVM (Universitas Viridis Montis - University of the Green Mountains). There's no "p" in Binghamton, a space but no "e" in Stony Brook, and no "n" in America East.
UAalum72

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division I