Maryland 2018

Re: Maryland 2018

New postby Typical Lax Dad on Sun May 27, 2018 9:50 am

Class of 2018 has a lot to be proud of. Congratulations. Special congrats to Connor Kelly on an outstanding year and an outstanding career. Coached him in the 4th grade and hope to see him over the summer. Going out 1-10 is tough....he shot it well. 70% on goal. Sometimes you hit a hot goalie. Some of those shots were daggers.
Typical Lax Dad

New postby HHS '64 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:51 am

Cooter wrote:
HHS '64 wrote:^^^^

@Cooter: Neither is it at all classy for you to fail to acknowledge that Duke's defense had (likely much) to do with Kelly's 1-in-10 shooting performance this afternoon, indicating instead that many of the shots he missed today resulted only from his being “somewhat banged up” (excuses, excuses . . . at this point, in every season, lots of guys are not 100 percent physically). The gracious and sportsmanlike approach would have been to recognize that Duke’s D was especially hot today (e.g., a dozen saves, eleven caused turnovers, and an eighteen minute Maryland scoreless drought, in addition to Kelly’s single goal for ten shots). Twice you failed to do so (you can review your responses to validate this), which is the only reason I was compelled to make my point quantitatively. And, incidentally, I believe I offered several sincere — and certainly deserved — compliments to Maryland and to Kelly throughout this thread as well as the applicable game thread.

Which thread are you on? This is the Maryland thread.
I am discussing my feelings about Maryland on the Maryland thread.
I am not on the Duke thread or even the game thread, and you are coming over here and rubbing in your team's victory repeatedly.
I care about Maryland, I don't give 2 craps about Duke. I am not even going to watch game on Monday.
I congratulated Duke on their victory up on the game thread, and that is about as far as it goes.

I entirely agree with wgdsr. No LaxPower thread is the “property” of a single individual or group of fans/alumni; to the contrary, all are open to every participant. It’s absurd for you (or for HenFan) to suggest that only Maryland-affiliated posters should present their opinions here. More important, it is particularly hypocritical for you to do so. I cannot count the number of times you have posted your viewpoints on other teams’ threads — every frequent LaxPower participant has observed your doing so on numerous occasions — and that’s perfectly fine. Therefore, it is only equitable and reasonable for you to sanction this practice universally.
SGT James Regan
Duke Lacrosse ’99-’02
Academic All-ACC
Army Ranger, KIA Iraq, 2007

LT Brendan Looney
Navy Lacrosse ’01-’04
Spirit of Tewaaraton Award
Navy SEAL, KIA Afghanistan, 2010

May God bless them and their families always
HHS '64

New postby TerpLax Fan on Sun May 27, 2018 11:05 am

...you wonder why MD fans can’t stand Duke.
Making it to the National Championship 4 years in a row these days is a crazy thought. Not a bad rebuilding year.
I heard Quint comment about the iPad a few weeks ago. Like it or not, that’s Tillman’s style. I get frustrated with him at times but it sure is a class operation all around that he’s developed and C.K. was a great Terp. Won’t watch (Beach) but sure pulling for Yale now.
TerpLax Fan

New postby Runnerguy45 on Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am

HHS '64 wrote:
Cooter wrote:

@Cooter: Neither is it at all classy for you to fail to acknowledge that Duke's defense had (likely much) to do with Kelly's 1-in-10 shooting performance this afternoon, indicating instead that many of the shots he missed today resulted only from his being “somewhat banged up” (excuses, excuses . . . at this point, in every season, lots of guys are not 100 percent physically). The gracious and sportsmanlike approach would have been to recognize that Duke’s D was especially hot today (e.g., a dozen saves, eleven caused turnovers, and an eighteen minute Maryland scoreless drought, in addition to Kelly’s single goal for ten shots). Twice you failed to do so (you can review your responses to validate this), which is the only reason I was compelled to make my point quantitatively. And, incidentally, I believe I offered several sincere — and certainly deserved — compliments to Maryland and to Kelly throughout this thread as well as the applicable game thread.

I am not on the Duke thread or even the game thread, and you are coming over here and rubbing in your team's victory repeatedly.

I care about Maryland, I don't give 2 craps about Duke. I am not even going to watch game on Monday.
I congratulated Duke on their victory up on the game thread, and that is about as far as it goes.

I entirely agree with wgdsr. No LaxPower thread is the “property” of a single individual or group of fans/alumni; to the contrary, all are open to every participant. It’s absurd for you (or for HenFan) to suggest that only Maryland-affiliated posters should present their opinions here. More important, it is particularly hypocritical for you to do so. I cannot count the number of times you have posted your viewpoints on other teams’ threads — every frequent LaxPower participant has observed your doing so on numerous occasions — and that’s perfectly fine. Therefore, it is only equitable and reasonable for you to sanction this practice universally.

Really all people are asking is that you show some class. Class isn't rolling over to another teams thread and running your yap.
Runnerguy45

New postby wgdsr on Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Runnerguy45 wrote:Really all people are asking is that you show some class. Class isn't rolling over to another teams thread and running your yap.

TerpLax Fan wrote:...you wonder why MD fans can’t stand Duke.
Making it to the National Championship 4 years in a row these days is a crazy thought. Not a bad rebuilding year.
I heard Quint comment about the iPad a few weeks ago. Like it or not, that’s Tillman’s style. I get frustrated with him at times but it sure is a class operation all around that he’s developed and C.K. was a great Terp. Won’t watch (Beach) but sure pulling for Yale now.

great. a couple more.

at least they've been fortunate to have bud, the big man, cottle and tillman to head up and be the face of the program over the years.
wgdsr

New postby Cooter on Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 pm

HHS '64 wrote:
Cooter wrote:

wgdsr is off base, for I didn't say you couldn't post on this thread, only pointed out that your posting lacked class. I tried to explain to you why a fan might be posting the Maryland side of things on the Maryland thread.

My thoughts on Kelly do not just relate to just the Duke game, but as I have said go back to final regular season game against Hopkins where Kelly was 0 for 14. Whether Kelly was injured or not, I do not know. I am not an insider but just a fan watching from a far.
I would also say, that I didn't see Tim Rotanz take his big left-handed shot for like the whole month of April. He seemed to get back to shooting his left-hand shot some in the NCAA tmt.

Duke is very good and Maryland probably needed a hot-shooting Kelly to beat them. It does point to one of Maryland's flaws, a lack of depth of offensive scoring.

Looking at things in the general sort of way. The Terps return 3 established scorers in Bernhardt, Wisnauskas, and Fairman. If they just find 2 good scorers it probably keeps them in the top 10 and perhaps even gets them in the top 5, but most likely they will come up short at the end, like this year. If they can find 3 or even better 4 scorers, perhaps they could pull off another title. I have been fairly impressed with DeMaio towards the end of the season, and think he might be one of those 3 or 4.
Terps 2017 NCAA Champs! Current owners of the longest D1 NCAA tmt. streak.
Cooter

New postby Typical Lax Dad on Sun May 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

New postby wgdsr on Sun May 27, 2018 12:25 pm

he can defend himself, but nothing he said was out of line. and he was debating a point of contention about the game. which had 2 participants, including maryland. because you were exasperated at "needing" to reply on it, even if it was further detailing your position vs his, that doesn't even approach not being "classy" on his end, or rubbing anyone's nose in it. that didn't happen.
you can probably get a better example of that in the last page of the cornell/maryland game thread.
and then you flipped. hhs is the furthest thing from that accusation, and basically just wants to discuss lacrosse with lacrosse fans. maybe you could reread.

ftr, duke played good defense, but i happen to agree with you on kelly. he's shown the ability repeatedly (before the last month) to be a much better shooter/goal generator than he was on saturday. even against a good defense. he had his hands free. missed his spots. it happens to the greatest players, of which he certainly is one.
wgdsr

New postby Typical Lax Dad on Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 pm

wgdsr wrote:he can defend himself, but nothing he said was out of line. and he was debating a point of contention about the game. which had 2 participants, including maryland. because you were exasperated at "needing" to reply on it, even if it was further detailing your position vs his, that doesn't even approach not being "classy" on his end, or rubbing anyone's nose in it. that didn't happen.
you can probably get a better example of that in the last page of the cornell/maryland game thread.
and then you flipped. hhs is the furthest thing from that accusation, and basically just wants to discuss lacrosse with lacrosse fans. maybe you could reread.

ftr, duke played good defense, but i happen to agree with you on kelly. he's shown the ability repeatedly (before the last month) to be a much better shooter/goal generator than he was on saturday. even against a good defense. he had his hands free. missed his spots. it happens to the greatest players, of which he certainly is one.

It happens. Getting 10 shots off and putting 7 on goal is no easy feat. Kelly logged a lot of minutes and had a high usage rate this year. Tom Schreiber wore down his senior year for perhaps the same reason. Duke played well defensively. Both goalies played well...Maryland is going to be good again next year. Carcaterra made good comments about the relative freshness of the two teams yesterday as guys ran in and out of the box. Duke has played a lot of guys over the course of the year, like Yale. Should be a good game tomorrow. Yale has modeled its program after Duke...player development a big part of both programs....as well as team development over the course of the season.
Typical Lax Dad

New postby Cooter on Sun May 27, 2018 12:36 pm

wgdsr wrote:he can defend himself, but nothing he said was out of line. and he was debating a point of contention about the game. which had 2 participants.

There is a game thread and he knows where it is for he has posted on it.

Perhaps you could do something a little more positive for the forum this year and start an "acc 2019" thread. Virginia is getting back in the swing of things again.
Cooter

New postby wgdsr on Sun May 27, 2018 12:44 pm

it's good to know that so many maryland posters get bent out of shape when non-terp fans post on "their" thread. when you get the moderator label i'll pick up on some of your advice on where to go.
guessing the "foe" button still works, pb&j, so you should be good.
wgdsr

New postby Terps39 on Sun May 27, 2018 1:14 pm

wgdsr wrote:it's good to know that so many maryland posters get bent out of shape when non-terp fans post on "their" thread. when you get the moderator label i'll pick up on some of your advice on where to go.

Seems like reasonable posts are welcome on Maryland and most other threads, trolls not so much
Terps39

New postby wgdsr on Sun May 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Terps39 wrote:
wgdsr wrote:it's good to know that so many maryland posters get bent out of shape when non-terp fans post on "their" thread. when you get the moderator label i'll pick up on some of your advice on where to go.

Seems like reasonable posts are welcome on Maryland and most other threads, trolls not so much
hmm..
so who has trolled?
and why don't you quote the poster?
wgdsr

New postby The Orfling on Sun May 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Terps39 wrote:

I agree with this sentiment. HHS '64 is a true fan of the game, though, and the furthest thing from a troll. (Not to assume you were saying he was.) It's always tricky to figure out when it's "my guy had a bad day" vs. "your guys made my guy have a bad day" and I think Cooter made a lot of excellent points based on his in-depth knowledge of the Terps' and Kelly's season. But I don't think HHS was trying to rub anything in -- among other things, the Duke thread doesn't have a lot of posters and full compliments, the Maryland fans are as educated as any fan base out there so if you want to get into the lacrosse details this is a great place to come.

I will stand by my opinion of Tillman as the reigning best coach in the game -- the string of Championship Weekend appearances is unbelievable and is the best evidence there is of this coaching staff's ability to attract and develop talent. Congrats to Maryland for another terrific season and I look forward to seeing what the coaching staff comes up with next year to return the Terps to the top five.
The Orfling

New postby Laxter on Sun May 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Cooter wrote:

Not trying to pile on, Coots, but please remember you posted this when you craft one of your more provocative or critical posts on the Virginia thread. That said, many of your posts are good natured and fair. Good season for the Terps... as usual.
Laxter

New postby Cooter on Sun May 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Nah, that post on the Virginia thread was in response to wgdsr. He seemed to need some entertainment or something.
Cooter

New postby gobigred on Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Cooter wrote:I am not on the Duke thread or even the game thread, and you are coming over here and rubbing in your team's victory repeatedly.

Sort of like you did by thanking all those who picked Cornell to beat Maryland and mocking their "expertise?"

Bit of a hypocrite you are.
gobigred

New postby wahoomurf on Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Any team that makes it to the semis has accomplished something of note. Two teams lost..... two teams won and will play for the Championship.

Congratulations for making it into "the arena"......“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short because there is no effort without error and shortcoming". (Teddy Roosevelt)
"TAATS AMORE "

"It is better to have failed your Wasserman test than never to have loved at all"
wahoomurf

New postby Cooter on Sun May 27, 2018 3:29 pm

gobigred wrote:
Cooter wrote:I am not on the Duke thread or even the game thread, and you are coming over here and rubbing in your team's victory repeatedly.

Sort of like you did by thanking all those who picked Cornell to beat Maryland and mocking their "expertise?"

Bit of a hypocrite you are.

No, that was on the Maryland-Cornell game thread. I didn't post on the Cornell thread.
Cooter

New postby Truthbetold1 on Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm about to open the Maryland 2019 thread....
Truthbetold1

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division I