Denver 2010

Denver 2010

New postby hewhohesitatesislaxed on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I see alot of Colorado posts on other forums, what does Denver have for next year, what do they need? Can Denver draw players from the coasts ?
There is always someone behind you
hewhohesitatesislaxed

Re: University of Denver

New postby laxxal on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 am

hewhohesitatesislaxed wrote:I see alot of Colorado posts on other forums, what does Denver have for next year, what do they need? Can Denver draw players from the coasts ?

I know they have a couple of RI Long Poles (talked to one on the plane last summer) and I believe they are starting to develope a nice pipeline into/from Canada which is a good place to start. There style reminds me of 'Cuse to some degree. I could be way off, but from what I recall seeing last year, they need a more dependable midfield, and perhaps some better decision making on both ends of the field.

Why wouldn't you want to go play in the new hot-bed of lacrosse (at least fan-base wise)!?

Great place to go to school!
Spartacus: I am not an animal!

Antoninus: Are you afraid to die, Spartacus?
Spartacus: No more than I was to be born.
laxxal

New postby DenverFan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:38 pm

The Pioneers really don't recruit much in places like Md. and NY, where they are a long shot to land top talent. They would rather go to places where they are in the mix for the better kids from less-hunted places. They have always landed kids from places like RI, Mass, Pa, and Conn (usually prep schoolers) who want an affluent eastern-style private school (which DU is) in a western setting.

Canada is a huge pipleline for Denver in many sports, and Denver's top players are often Canadian (Matt Brown, Geoff Snider, and Jamie Lincoln in recent years to name a few), they now also like to get the best players out of up-and-coming places in the lax world - such as in the backyard of Colorado, Texas, Ohio and other non-coastal places.

With a top 100 academic school, a new lax-only lighted stadium, 300 days of sunshine, jet travel to most games including many east coast appearances, and a growing lax culture, Denver is an attractive option.
DenverFan

New postby pirate lax 43 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:20 pm

DU only loses 5 seniors. Only 2 of those will be missed ( Paulson, 17 goals and Koll for his leadership ). Their biggest need is to play a more disciplined game offensively and defensively. They have the talent and athleticism to be a good team, but the silly penalties, defensive lapses, and sloppy turnovers have always killed them.
pirate lax 43

U of Denver lacrosse

New postby hardshott on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:55 am

it seems to me that more and more great players are developing in Colorado and California, and that Denver would be a logical landing place for the California players who did not want to go completely cross country to play good D-1 lacrosse. I see Denver as a dark horse national power as Colorado and California lacrosse gets better and better and as competition for the relatively few slots in the top 10 lax powers in the east gets tougher and tougher. I have heard that some very talented players from excellent eastern high schools are looking at Denver.
hardshott

Re: U of Denver lacrosse

New postby laxxal on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:17 am

hardshott wrote:it seems to me that more and more great players are developing in Colorado and California, and that Denver would be a logical landing place for the California players who did not want to go completely cross country to play good D-1 lacrosse. I see Denver as a dark horse national power as Colorado and California lacrosse gets better and better and as competition for the relatively few slots in the top 10 lax powers in the east gets tougher and tougher. I have heard that some very talented players from excellent eastern high schools are looking at Denver.

The hard part can be keeping those instate/area athletes in state/area. Look at Long Island and New England. Understandably so, a lot of times they are looking for new experiences in new locals.
Spartacus: I am not an animal!

Antoninus: Are you afraid to die, Spartacus?
Spartacus: No more than I was to be born.
laxxal

University of Denver 2009

New postby dulaxisfun on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:52 pm

What about the Pioneers? Really only losing a couple of key players and returning a solid senior class. This will be the last year of the GWLL...can they get past Ohio State and Notre Dame?
dulaxisfun

New postby 5280lax on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:36 pm

I can't believe their has not been a post since July about DU and it's class that just came in and how they look for 2009. From what I can see they have great SR. leadership. Konkel is back in the goal and if not the most athletic goalie in the country one of them. Murray, Lincoln, Smith and Gaijch scoring goals and Roy is one of the best close D guys in the country. doesn't anyone else think they look really good? I don't even live there anyone and I am excited
5280lax

New postby byualum on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:21 pm

OK, I'll bite...as a long-time Denver fan, I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. I don't think there's any doubt they have top 10 talent. They should score goals in bunches this year. The question is, can they avoid throwing the over-the-head check when they're 40 yards away from the goal? Can they avoid the cross-checking penalty when they're up 1 in the 4th-quarter? Are they willing to pull the ball out in the end of a close game, instead of always forcing the ball?

There's no doubt they are entertaining...there is, however, doubt as to whether or not they are disciplined enough to make it to the 2nd-round of the tournament.
byualum

New postby AMK on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Does anybody know anything about the freshman class this year? How does this class compare to previous classes? Any impact players? Any transfers this year? I'm hoping for a good year and hopefully a 2nd round game......
AMK

New postby 5280lax on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:33 am

The only thing I know is what I read. It says they are the #10 class in the country. 3 players in the top 50 Mark Matthews from Canada, another Canadian kid and Greyson Konkel from Denver. I think Matthews was in the top 10 ranked attackman and Konkel was in the top 15 middies.
5280lax

New postby byualum on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:03 pm

I've only seen the three Colorado kids play. I'd expect two of them, Konkel and Wylie to get time right away. Konkel is a big, rock-solid midfielder. Could be converted to a d-mid and still give you an offensive threat on clears. Probably the second best midfielder in the state last year, behind Patrick Murray (Georgetown).

Wylie is great d-man, might have been the best in the state. He'll fit right into the super-aggressive, over-the-top defensive scheme. Wollenhaupt is a gifted offensive player, but on the smallish side...somewhat in the Dickenson mold.

You could have an all-Canadian attack with Smith, Lincoln and the freshman Matthews. By all accounts, he had a very good world games in the U-19 tournament this past summer.

The two kids from Oregon are a total crap-shoot. Rodgers was POY in Oregon and put up 78 goals/31 assists in 19 games. His HS went 18-1 and won the state championship, but obviously there are questions about the talent level he played against.

DU will be extremely talented...I hope they have the discipline to reign it in at times.
byualum

New postby Trinity on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Great addition getting Glenn Gorden on the staff. He had a big part in Brown's success last year, was widely admired and can really teach defense.
Trinity

Another Gajic at DU?

New postby Reddawg on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:19 am

A while ago I was seeing posts suggesting that Ilia Gajic's younger brother Alex, of the Burnaby (BC) Lakers, is headed to DU. But I haven't seen his name lately. He's a tremendous box player. Anyone have any info?

Unfortunately, another terrific Canadian, Damon Edwards (a high school All American at Brewster Academy) apparently will not be attending Denver this year, after committing in the summer of '07. I saw an announcement that he will be attending Onondaga Community College this year.
Reddawg

New postby dskclax on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Alex Gajic is on campus at DU.
dskclax

Re: Another Gajic at DU?

New postby Lax Genius on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Reddawg wrote:Unfortunately, another terrific Canadian, Damon Edwards (a high school All American at Brewster Academy) apparently will not be attending Denver this year, after committing in the summer of '07. I saw an announcement that he will be attending Onondaga Community College this year.

Onondaga jumped the gun in making that announcement. Damon is attending Brock in Canada, which carries with it the benefit that it will not cost him any NCAA eligibility. He was caught up in some changes in NCAA Clearinghouse rules that meant that he could not use certain of his prep school grades from Brewster Academy to qualify. I hope to see Damon at Denver in 2009.
Lax Genius

Freshman

New postby fogornogo on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Alex Demopolus looking great at attack out of avon old farms. Zander Buteaux talented goalie coming in from the berkshire school back east absolutely shut the mile high team down for the better part of three quarters the year before last at king of the hill. Two canadians young gajic and matthews. Three rado boys and Jon Vande Werken out of Upper Arlington in Ohio and Liam resch a late recruit out of philly two solid aggressive defenseman! Solid class with a ton of returning talented veterans should be a fun year!
fogornogo

New postby rasheed on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 am

dskclax wrote:Alex Gajic is on campus at DU.
Yea he's amazing and the bros are really tight with Billings I was hoping Dom would have tried to snag Alex - bummer for UVA - kudos for DU.
Today's ThreatDown:

#1: Conservationists
Amphibians are nature's fence-sitters. Come on, amphibians, which is it? Water or land? Pick one. We're at war.
rasheed

New postby vtd on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 am

The talent is there to be a Top 10 team this season, but they will never go anywhere until they learn how to spell discipline, especially on the defensive end of the field. They hung Konkel out to dry last year making desperate checks when none were needed and taking dozens of stupid penalties. Right now I've got Denver somewhere around #15 preseason.
vtd

New postby 5280lax on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:33 pm

true about konkel. I have them between 10-15. They have some great Sr's. Konkel, Murray, Smith. those three alone could take you a long way and then add Gaijch and Lincoln you have the foundation of a very good team. I have them having 3-5 first team all-conf players with a couple who have all-American potential. none of that matters or will happen unless the whole team performs. possession on offense and stop the STUPID penalties.
5280lax

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I