St. John's 2010

St. John's 2010

New postby MCNPA on Tue May 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Figured I'd start the thread considering that this season is now over. A look ahead reveals that St. John's has it's biggest losses in the midfield, but brings back the entire starting defense, and a strong defensive recruiting class. Attack gets bolstered with quite a few bodies. I got a chance to see the Ayers brothers, Dillon and Brandon, out of Lynbrook who will be playing for St. John's next season, and I like what I saw. Both kids are about 5'9" I'd estimate. Both have fantastic stamina, and are tenacious, speedy kids. Dillon is a LSM with fantastic on-ball skills, and a great stick in the open field. As an LSM he's a threat to score taking it up the field with his speed. Sometimes I question whether Miller will even keep him an LSM considering his twin brother Brandon will likely be an All American offensive Mid in Nassau County this year.

Brandon is also super speedy, with a nice stick, and good overall skills. Plays a little out-of-control at times, and tries to do too much with the stick in his hand ala Carl Iacona, but he's a very versatile player. He reminds me a lot of Iacona in some ways, but I think is a bit faster and built thicker. Both are excellent, and my guess is that Brandon will start next season due to the fact that we lose a lot in the midfield and need help at O-mid. The LSM spot is up for grabs, and from what I've seen of Dillon Ayers, he'll compete right away. Not sure how good Tanner Seago is, who is already on the roster, but D. Ayers is quite good. I haven't seen any of the other SJU recruits yet, but have heard good things about all of them.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

Re: St. John's 2010

New postby mimbster on Wed May 20, 2009 12:15 am

MCNPA wrote:Figured I'd start the thread considering that this season is now over. A look ahead reveals that St. John's has it's biggest losses in the midfield, but brings back the entire starting defense, and a strong defensive recruiting class. Attack gets bolstered with quite a few bodies. I got a chance to see the Ayers brothers, Dillon and Brandon, out of Lynbrook who will be playing for St. John's next season, and I like what I saw. Both kids are about 5'9" I'd estimate. Both have fantastic stamina, and are tenacious, speedy kids. Dillon is a LSM with fantastic on-ball skills, and a great stick in the open field. As an LSM he's a threat to score taking it up the field with his speed. Sometimes I question whether Miller will even keep him an LSM considering his twin brother Brandon will likely be an All American offensive Mid in Nassau County this year.

Brandon is also super speedy, with a nice stick, and good overall skills. Plays a little out-of-control at times, and tries to do too much with the stick in his hand ala Carl Iacona, but he's a very versatile player. He reminds me a lot of Iacona in some ways, but I think is a bit faster and built thicker. Both are excellent, and my guess is that Brandon will start next season due to the fact that we lose a lot in the midfield and need help at O-mid. The LSM spot is up for grabs, and from what I've seen of Dillon Ayers, he'll compete right away. Not sure how good Tanner Seago is, who is already on the roster, but D. Ayers is quite good. I haven't seen any of the other SJU recruits yet, but have heard good things about all of them.

Well. I hope that being a member of the Big East Lacrosse conference will help SJU in terms of recruiting. Now that they'll playing under a Big East brand, more LI kids will want to stay home and that's going to help SJU in the long run. Also, the automatic qualifier will help allowing the school to have more potential avenues to the postseason. Good luck.

:pray:
mimbster

New postby MCNPA on Wed May 20, 2009 1:20 am

mimbster wrote:
MCNPA wrote:Figured I'd start the thread considering that this season is now over. A look ahead reveals that St. John's has it's biggest losses in the midfield, but brings back the entire starting defense, and a strong defensive recruiting class. Attack gets bolstered with quite a few bodies. I got a chance to see the Ayers brothers, Dillon and Brandon, out of Lynbrook who will be playing for St. John's next season, and I like what I saw. Both kids are about 5'9" I'd estimate. Both have fantastic stamina, and are tenacious, speedy kids. Dillon is a LSM with fantastic on-ball skills, and a great stick in the open field. As an LSM he's a threat to score taking it up the field with his speed. Sometimes I question whether Miller will even keep him an LSM considering his twin brother Brandon will likely be an All American offensive Mid in Nassau County this year.

Well. I hope that being a member of the Big East Lacrosse conference will help SJU in terms of recruiting. Now that they'll playing under a Big East brand, more LI kids will want to stay home and that's going to help SJU in the long run. Also, the automatic qualifier will help allowing the school to have more potential avenues to the postseason. Good luck.

:pray:

We already had an AQ with the ECAC. It will actually be more difficult of a prospect to win the AQ with Syracuse in the conference. They are certainly the top dog, but the idea is to build a bigger, better conference that competes with the bids that the ACC gets. First issue is recruiting, and from what I have heard, the recruiting has certainly improved with the Big East Conference upcoming. I love to get good Long Island kids to St. John's, but to tell the truth, I don't care where they come from. I want kids at SJU that want to be there. SJU has traditionally had almost half their roster from Long Island. The upcoming class has 2 Long Islanders, 4 from Philly suburbs in PA, 4 from Maryland/Baltimore area, 1 from Massachusetts, and one from Ohio. I really do want to see the most talented kid here, regardless of where he is from. To tell the truth, I'd like to see some more Central NY players at SJU. It is a natural fit, with NYC nearby. Too many CNY kids slip away, and it is an area that SJU hasn't been ultra-successful in recruiting, whether by choice or chance...
I
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby MCNPA on Sat May 30, 2009 11:33 am

SJU fans on LI should check out Brandon Ayers and Dillon Ayers this Wednesday in the Nassau County Class B finals vs Garden City. Lots of good players in that game overall.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby 81navy on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:29 am

Heard from a couple of friends that the junior from Lynbrook #8 , not sure his name was thinking about St. Johns. One of the guy's from Lynbrook didn't think he would come because of the facilities and he said this class has some real clown's comming in. If St. John's can grab this kid they schould do it now. They said he's the real deal.
81navy

New postby MCNPA on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:24 am

#8 that you refer to is DeNapoli. I believe he might be cousin of SJU's Dom DeNapoli, and brother of Hofstra's DeNapoli. He is certainly a good player and worthwhile recruit. His two teammates the Ayers brothers are also very good and headed to SJU. As far as St.John's facilities go, the stadium was ripped down because they are building a beautiful new student center on the hill where the old stadium was. There is a temporary stadium in place, and the "facilties" certainly do stink right now. I don't believe that these temporary facilities are the permanent solution though, but I don't know of a time frame for their revamping the facilities. I'm guessing they don't intend to go with the current state of affairs forever. St. John's has done a great job over the last 10 years developing excellent facilities for their soccer, basketball and baseball teams so I don't see why they'd stop with the lacrosse stadium. With the economy the way it is, the plans might have gotten slowed, which is what I'm hoping it is...just a bump in the road. I would hope that DeNapoli doesn't make a choice based on the facility, but rather the school, coaches, conference, team and level of play he'll be playing at.

As far as this class being a bunch of "clowns", well that is pretty ambiguous. I don't really know much about the recruits personalities. I hope when at SJU they carry themselves as they are supposed to. There are quite a few good players that recieved lacrosse honors in their respective leagues. Tyler Novotny was POY in his conference. Adam Bitzer and Jarrett Carr were named first team attackmen in their conference. Colin Canty Honorable mention All ISL, Brandon Ayers will likely be named an All Nassau County and All American, and Jeff Lowman might be the best HS goalie in the state of Maryland, which is nothing to sneeze at. We'll see what they are like when they get to SJU.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby 81navy on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm glad that Hofstra play's St. John's, it's only going to help promote lax in the area. But St. John's is still a tough sell. If they host Hofstra or N.D. where are they going to put the fan's ? Most of these kid's have better facilities at ther high school's. If the Johnnies want to compete and compare themselves with the top program's they better step up to the plate and get a plan to get thing's done. It doesn't help to tell a kid now that in 10 year's something will be built. Good luck Redmen but I think your looking at a 4 win season.
81navy

New postby MCNPA on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:26 pm

81navy wrote:I'm glad that Hofstra play's St. John's, it's only going to help promote lax in the area. But St. John's is still a tough sell. If they host Hofstra or N.D. where are they going to put the fan's ? Most of these kid's have better facilities at ther high school's. If the Johnnies want to compete and compare themselves with the top program's they better step up to the plate and get a plan to get thing's done. It doesn't help to tell a kid now that in 10 year's something will be built. Good luck Redmen but I think your looking at a 4 win season.

Understand what you are saying about the facilities and I agree totally. They NEED to build a nice stadium with decent facilities. Trust me, it bother me more than you. As far as the 4 win season goes, I think you're totally off. SJU returns a lot of kids, and brings in their most talented recruiting class thus far. It's funny how you predict a 4-win season without even knowing what St. John's schedule will be... It's absurd and a stab in the dark.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby MCNPA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:24 pm

I saw this on another thread, and figured it would be good to summarize St. John's incoming recruiting class as it stands for those who are interested:

1) Brandon Ayers/ Mid/ Lynbrook H.S. NY -- Finished the season as Nassau County's second leading goal scorer with 81pts/ 61G/ 20A. Will surely make All-Nassau County and very likely to make All-American in Nassau with his production. Not big, but a speedy and strong mid with great stamina and skills. Was one of the best football kick/punt returners on LI.

2) Dillon Ayers/ D, LSM/ Lynbrook H.S. NY-- Twin brother of Brandon Ayers, Dillon played mainly close D this season but likely a LSM at the next level at his size.(5'8" 160). Great speed and skills with the long pole, was one of LI's better defenders. Great in transition and scored quite a few goals this season.

3) Adam Bitzer/ ATT/FOGO/ Central Bucks East H.S., PA-- Bitzer was primary scorer on attack for CBE HS. 43G this season Named First Team All-Suburban One Attack. Physical Attackman who can also face off.

4) Andrew Zbikowski/ Def/ Lasalle College H.S. PA-- 6'0" 180lb defenseman. Played for Dukes club team.

5) Jarrett Carr/ ATT/ Hatboro-Horsham HS PA-- Top scorer for the Hatters. Named First Team All-Suburban One with Bitzer. Played for Twist Black.

6) Erik Flexer/ DEF/ Dublin Jerome H.S. OH-- 6'1" 190lb Defensman. Not sure of any honors yet, but was Jerome's strongest defender.

7) Tyler Novotny/ ATT/ Spring-ford H.S. PA-- Big-time scorer in his conference. Pioneer Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year in both 08/09. Played for the Dukes.

8) Jeff Lowman/ G/ Severna Park H.S. MD-- Split time with Hofstra's Gvozden last year. One of Maryland's top goaltenders.

9) Parker Bratton/ DEF/ McDonogh H.S. MD-- Good sized defender on very strong McDonogh defense

10) Ryan Dutton-O'Hara/ ATT/ Urbana H.S. MD-- Named All Frederick County player in 08 as junior.

11) Colin Canty/ DEF/ Governor's Academy MA-- Top defender on very strong Governor's team in ISL. Hon- Mention All-ISL I believe.
Last edited by MCNPA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby LI13 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:34 pm

81navy wrote:I'm glad that Hofstra play's St. John's, it's only going to help promote lax in the area. But St. John's is still a tough sell. If they host Hofstra or N.D. where are they going to put the fan's ? Most of these kid's have better facilities at ther high school's. If the Johnnies want to compete and compare themselves with the top program's they better step up to the plate and get a plan to get thing's done. It doesn't help to tell a kid now that in 10 year's something will be built. Good luck Redmen but I think your looking at a 4 win season.

Just for future references, apostrophes are either used in contractions or to indicate possession.
Boys Suffolk Champs 2001, 2002, Long Island Champs 2001, 2002, State Champs 2001
Girls Suffolk Champs 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, Long Island Champs 1998, 2003, 2004, 2011, State Champs 2011

Northport Lacrosse L12A
LI13

New postby MCNPA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:39 pm

LI13 wrote:

Just for future references, apostrophes are either used in contractions or to indicate possession.

Don't know why that happened?? Could it be an auto-fill thing? Now that I look, it wasn't even my post. I guess for future reference, you should probably check the poster first...
Last edited by MCNPA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby MCNPA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:41 pm

MCNPA wrote:
LI13 wrote:

LOL... I saw that but can't fix it. I don't type like that. Don't know why that happened?? Could it be an auto-fill thing? It placed an apostrophe at the end of every word ending in an s. No idea...

It was 81navy's...
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby PALacrosse37 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:02 pm

My son played for Duke's with Andrew Zbikowski and Tyler Novotny. There are both great players and St. Johns did a great job getting them seeing as they were recruited by many nationally ranked D1programs. Novotny is a great finisher and finished his high school career with over 200 goals and Zbikowski is a great defenseman with outstanding stick skills and take away checks. His team also won back to back PA State Championships with one of the best defenses in the COUNTRY. Good luck next year.
PALacrosse37

New postby MCNPA on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:04 pm

PALacrosse37 wrote:My son played for Duke's with Andrew Zbikowski and Tyler Novotny. There are both great players and St. Johns did a great job getting them seeing as they were recruited by many nationally ranked D1programs. Novotny is a great finisher and finished his high school career with over 200 goals and Zbikowski is a great defenseman with outstanding stick skills and take away checks. His team also won back to back PA State Championships with one of the best defenses in the COUNTRY. Good luck next year.

Thanks for the assessment. Defense should be very strong at St. John's, which returns the entire starting D. The newcomers will certainly push the starters, as I've heard some are quite talented. SJU will be built around a strong D the next few years. We also need more finishers. Hopefully Novotny provides that.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby coachmpc on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:58 am

Looks like St. Johns also added Stony Brook next year. To bad Hofstra dropped SBU this three way rivalry would have been good for college lacrosse on the Island.
coachmpc

New postby MCNPA on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:07 am

coachmpc wrote:Looks like St. Johns also added Stony Brook next year. To bad Hofstra dropped SBU this three way rivalry would have been good for college lacrosse on the Island.

Fantastic for St. John's to have both Hofstra and Stony Brook on the schedule!! The way it should be...
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby MCNPA on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Figured I'd give an update on the early commits for the 2010 Rising Seniors with a running list:

1) Kevin Cernuto /ATT/ St. Joseph's Metuchen N.J. - Leading scorer in N.J. as junior with 75G/31A/50GB
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbc ... 9906190384

2) James Lang /D-LSM/ Hicksville N.Y. - All Nassau County player, Defensive MVP of Class A. Championship game. Under Armor Underclassmen All American Long Island.

3) Tommy Cox/ Goalie/ Cold Spring Harbor N.Y.

4) John Bello/ Defense/ Somers HS N.Y.

5) Colin Keegan /Attack/ Springfield Delco HS P.A. (All Conference)

6) Joe Addona /LSM/ Springfield Delco HS P.A. (All Conference, Under Armor Underclassmen All American Philadelphia)

7) Ryan Fitzgerald /Midfield/ Putnam Valley HS N.Y.

8) Keith Switzer /Attack/ Bergen Catholic HS N.J.

9) Donal Flaherty /Mid-FOGO/ Eastport NY/Avon Old Farms C.T.

Thus far seems like a great start. Lang is one of the best and could arguably be the best defender in Nassau county next year. Big commitment for St. John's, and love the defenders that St. John's has been bringing in over the last 2 seasons. I have yet to see Cox play, but look forward to it. Great start.
Last edited by MCNPA on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby MCNPA on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:28 am

To add, another incoming recruit who will suit up this coming season is Jordan Rothman- Mid/FOGO/ Bridgewater-Raritan H.S. N.J. All County/All American. Rothman boasts a .72% at the X. Great to see St. John's address the face-off issue with one of the best FOGO's in NJ. If there's one place I like to see All American's it is at the X. Kid faced off with top talent at the X like DeLuca of Mountain Lakes headed to Duke, DelBarton's White headed to Harvard and Marcelli of Moorestown headed to Maryland. Best FOGO St. John's has landed yet, and should make a huge difference the next few seasons. Kudos to the staff.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby Willy23 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:55 am

Somers’ John Bello, one of the leading returning defensemen in the region for next season, just got off the phone moments ago with St. John’s coach Jason Miller.

Bello called Miller this evening to inform him he has accepted a scholarship offer from the Red Storm.
Willy23

New postby MCNPA on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Another new commitment:

Colin Keegan / Attack/ Springfield-Delco H.S. PA
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I