Hofstra Flying Dutchmen 2010

Hofstra Flying Dutchmen 2010

New postby HU34 on Thu May 21, 2009 7:15 pm

2010 should be another playoff apperance for Hofstra. Attack and Defense are proven. Attack - Card, Ford and Stein can get the job done. Defense looks to be stacked - Scuderi, Swarsen, Skudin are back. Ryan Smith should be back from injury. DeNapoli at short stick. Gvozden in goal. Throw in some solid recruits and the Hofstra D will be deep and talented. Midfield is the question mark. Besides Interlicchio there is nobody with much experience. If a few guys step up Hofstra will be pretty good next year.
Last edited by HU34 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HU34

Re: Hofstra Flying Dutchmen 2010

New postby hofstraandrew on Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 pm

Agreed that our defense should be rock solid if we get Annunziata as All-American recruit Cody Solaja will also be a solid addition. The wild card is of course the status of Kevin Ford and how they will replace his scoring if he does not return. I'll be curious to see what our schedule looks like now that we have an extra non conference game allowed due to UMass being in the CAA and having 6 teams in the league instead of 7. We are also dropping Stony Brook and adding St. John's and Manhattan so that leaves one more non conference game we can schedule. I hope its a top 10 team like Maryland or Syracuse.
hofstraandrew

New postby MCNPA on Thu May 21, 2009 11:23 pm

hofstraandrew wrote:Agreed that our defense should be rock solid if we get Annunziata as All-American recruit Cody Solaja will also be a solid addition. The wild card is of course the status of Kevin Ford and how they will replace his scoring if he does not return. I'll be curious to see what our schedule looks like now that we have an extra non conference game allowed due to UMass being in the CAA and having 6 teams in the league instead of 7. We are also dropping Stony Brook and adding St. John's and Manhattan so that leaves one more non conference game we can schedule. I hope its a top 10 team like Maryland or Syracuse.

Didn't know that Hofstra is adding St. John's to the schedule. Should actually be a good game next season. Love to finally see a LI team added to SJU's schedule. SJU returns starting goalie and entire defense, as well as brings in Jeff Lowman, a very good goalie that shared half of Gvozden's minutes at Severna Park. Entire defense is back, and lots of starters at mid and att as well as a talented recruiting class. Hofstra certainly will be the favorite, but glad that this game was added to the schedule.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby hofstraandrew on Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 am

MCNPA wrote:
hofstraandrew wrote:Agreed that our defense should be rock solid if we get Annunziata as All-American recruit Cody Solaja will also be a solid addition. The wild card is of course the status of Kevin Ford and how they will replace his scoring if he does not return. I'll be curious to see what our schedule looks like now that we have an extra non conference game allowed due to UMass being in the CAA and having 6 teams in the league instead of 7. We are also dropping Stony Brook and adding St. John's and Manhattan so that leaves one more non conference game we can schedule. I hope its a top 10 team like Maryland or Syracuse.

Didn't know that Hofstra is adding St. John's to the schedule. Should actually be a good game next season. Love to finally see a LI team added to SJU's schedule. SJU returns starting goalie and entire defense, as well as brings in Jeff Lowman, a very good goalie that shared half of Gvozden's minutes at Severna Park. Entire defense is back, and lots of starters at mid and att as well as a talented recruiting class. Hofstra certainly will be the favorite, but glad that this game was added to the schedule.

I'm glad it was added as well but am also dissapointed we dropped Stony Brook as that has proven to be a great Long Island rivalry. Too bad we didn't play St. John's this year as the two DeNapoli brothers (Steven for Hofstra and Dom for St. John's) could have battled each other.
hofstraandrew

New postby Dutchman on Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 am

What's behind the rationale for dropping SBU and bringing on to our 2010 schedule the likes of St John's, Manhattan and
first year ever, Jacksonville. I hate to think what effect this shuffle will have on our SOS rating.
hc57
GO DUTCH!
Dutchman

New postby 10stone5 on Sat May 23, 2009 5:34 pm

HU34 wrote:2010 should be another playoff apperance for Hofstra ...

True ... but the main thing I'm interested in for next year is how the "pecking order" of the Colonial will change with the addition of UMass & PSU.
UMass has graduated a lot of seniors, but PSU has been raking in the recruits the past couple years -- and will present quite a challenge to the Pride.
10stone5

New postby norbeL on Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 pm

2010 should be another playoff apperance for Hofstra. Attack and Defense are proven. Attack - Card, Ford and Stein can get the job done. Defense looks to be stacked - Scuderi, Swarsen, Skudin are back. Ryan Smith should be back from injury. DeNapoli at short stick. Gvozden in goal. Throw in some solid recruits and maybe Annunziata and the Hofstra D will be deep and talented. Midfield is the question mark. Besides Interlicchio there is nobody with much experience. If a few guys step up Hofstra will be pretty good next year.
Mid field question mark???
Hmmm
they let two all american middies slip through their fingers in Murphy and Bradish...now going to ND and UNC...horrible back yard recruiting (or lack there of is killing this program)
norbeL

New postby WNYGradio1 on Sun May 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Norbel-

In general yes you're right, the lack of elite LI player recruiting has hurt the HU program but this has been a problem forever, and I've begun to take on a new philosphy in regards to it- Do NOT rely on recruiting in Long Island, treat is as desert rather than the dinner that will get you through.

It isn't a Tierney problem, and wasnt a Danowski problem. Bottom line has been the elite LI kids from the traditional HS power programs have beyond rarely chosen HU. The reasons I speculate on are many.....Affluent families from the Manhassets/Garden City's of the world can afford to accept a 5% schollie from a Virginia and make up the difference versus taking a 25% ride from a Hofstra....Hofstra doesnt appeal to the parents and players that are of the Ivy League mentality neither as a school nor as something they go out and brag about....and nearly all of these kids want to go away and again in a high percentage their families can afford to do so and don't need their kid to commute to school to save some $. Hofstra as a school academically has REALLY improved over the last half-decade, but the perception probably hasnt caught up yet and I just can't see the high roller father from Manhasset sending his Lax son to Hofstra over smaller $ offers to all the other top 15 programs. Hopefully HU continues its academic progress towards the top so that more consideration and respect is given to it.

I think the Tierney coaching staff has already started to do this and I think it's a solid move. Lax is catching on so much outside the traditional hotbeds and is starting to get some depth to it that you CAN get great players and not have to have kids from the Top 10 HS programs in the nation- West Islip, Garden City, Manhasset, Boys Latin and the whole MIAA affluent schools down there. You've seen HU for next yr getting top players from the Dukes club program in PA, a HS AA in Solaja thats from Dallas, and a canadian via Trinity Pawling and Defenseman from Whitby. Theyve attacked Ohio really well with Jack Rogan and Austin Wright. For 2010 they got the attackman Varn from Central NY away from those powers, he's apparently very highly regarded.

This is not to say to stop recruiting the top LI kids, this to me just means you can't put all your eggs into that basket because the odds are going to be against you...and what also would be good is to at least make a really positive impression on all the kids that leave LI for the "Name" college programs, and once in a while you're going to get them unhappy and wanting to transfer back home....Scuderi signed initially with UMass and was a great pickup for them before he had to go to NYIT for a year..and now Annunziata was a top 50 overall in the 08 class type player and he's apparently coming home to LI to play at HU, so I think they still have to do their due dilligence with every kid no matter how labeled the kid is for going to a Hopkins/UVA/princeton because you just never know, as well as really work hard outside of LI.

I also think Seth T has probably taken HU's recruiting up a slight bit over Danowski from this angle....HU has at least finished in the top 4-5 for several top LI/name HS program guys....Kevin Interllicchio from Yorktown, Ochwat from F-dale, Gallasso from WI so theyve been battling big time and I think down the road they will finally hit on one of these guys. They even have a kid from Landon School coming in next yr Cassidy Cullen, when was the last time HU got a kid from that school? In the last decade Landon kids-to-HU now ties the amount of kids they have had from Garden City and Manhasset.

Overall I think the staff is busting its butt working really hard and they are doing everything they can to keep HU in the top 15 and working on getting them beyond that. They have adapted and gotten players from all angles -transfers/Jucos/PG's/non-traditional areas and 2nd tier LI kids and done well.
WNYGradio1

New postby Dutchman on Sun May 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Norbel, are you privy to firsthand information relative to Hofstra's incompetent recruiting attempts in the
instances of recruits, Murphy and Bradish? Certainly you must have some solid info when you use such strong
language, ie., "horrible backyard recruiting (or lack there of is killing this program.)"
Could it be that these young men chose to attend other institutions of higher learning, in spite of Hofstra's
effort(s) to woo them?
HU's recruiting efforts seem to have been quite successful when you look at the number of quality recruits
ready to enter the program for the 2009 -2010 season.

Dutchman
hc57

Go Dutchmen!
Dutchman

New postby realist20 on Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am

Tierney has gotten Empire players Cantonese and Bentz. LI lacrosse is alot more than Garden City and Manhassett and people really need to stop talking about those two towns as if they are. Neither team has won a state title in some time. Tierney can have alot of success IMO recruiting Suffolk county. I think that all college coaches are expanding their recruiting into Suffolk county, but I really think that Tierney can have success there where he might not with GC, Manhassett, Chaminade, etc.
realist20

New postby realist20 on Tue May 26, 2009 11:41 am

The conference will be much tougher next yr with the addition of UMass and Penn State. I think that it should be Hofstras goal and expectation to win CAA every yr., but this just got much harder.
realist20

New postby Juggernaut1 on Tue May 26, 2009 12:45 pm

HU34 wrote:2010 should be another playoff apperance for Hofstra. Attack and Defense are proven. Attack - Card, Ford and Stein can get the job done. Defense looks to be stacked - Scuderi, Swarsen, Skudin are back. Ryan Smith should be back from injury. DeNapoli at short stick. Gvozden in goal. Throw in some solid recruits and maybe Annunziata and the Hofstra D will be deep and talented. Midfield is the question mark. Besides Interlicchio there is nobody with much experience. If a few guys step up Hofstra will be pretty good next year.

Midfield was a question every game this past season. The young talent on the roster at midfield can't be that much of a drop off. Sometimes you just need some reps.
Juggernaut1

New postby hofstraandrew on Tue May 26, 2009 12:51 pm

I agree with WNYG that the Hofstra coaching staff has done an outstanding job selling the Hofstra name against the big boys and have brought in some solid players who can make us a consistent NCAA tourney team. They are smart to go after out of state players who may be attracted to attending an up and coming school like Hofstra that is in the shadows of the Big Apple.
hofstraandrew

New postby MCNPA on Tue May 26, 2009 1:33 pm

It has always been this was for Hofstra and the LI schools. The best LI players have in general always left for other institutions like UVA, Hop UNC, Princeton etc. I think the poster who mentioned the importance of recruiting off LI was on the money. Get players from the best programs out of state, with kids that want to come here to NY, much like NY's players want to leave. I don't know all to much of Hofstra's recruiting, but in this recruiting class, St. John's landed 4 kids from Pennsylvania including 2 from the Dukes program, and one from the Twist Black program, a kid from Ohio, A defenseman from the MIAA, 2 Baltimore public school players and finally 2 LI players out of Lynbrook, one who will likely be an All American this year in Nassau County. While most think that it must be built with LI players, I disagree. Grab a few LI kids, and then the best from elsewhere. Stony Brook's success this season has been greatly because of Canadians, and generally not LI players. It's great if you can get them, but Hofstra won't be winning titles if they have to rely on third tier LI talent as opposed to top-level talent from elsewhere.
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

Jamie Lincoln

New postby Good Ole Canada on Fri May 29, 2009 7:31 pm

I don't want to start any rumors.

Does anyone know where Jamie Lincoln will be playing next year, if he is playing at all?

Thank You
Good Ole Canada

Re: Jamie Lincoln

New postby hofstraandrew on Fri May 29, 2009 7:43 pm

I heard that he visited Hofstra recently but not sure if they have signed him or not.
hofstraandrew

New postby Drexel06Dragon on Sat May 30, 2009 1:20 am

I've heard that he was looking at quite a few schools including Hofstra.
Drexel06Dragon

New postby the equalizer28 on Sat May 30, 2009 2:53 am

Jamie has committed to Hofstra already
the equalizer28

New postby hofstraandrew on Sat May 30, 2009 8:23 am

the equalizer28 wrote:Jamie has committed to Hofstra already

I hope your right. That would be a huge boost to our offense next year. I'm sure he and fellow Canadian Jay Card would have great chemistry.
hofstraandrew

New postby fieldlax13 on Sat May 30, 2009 9:26 am

Jamie Lincoln will end up at Hofstra next year. What a combination with Card. This will put them in top 10 for sure.
fieldlax13

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I