Additions/Recruits:

LaPierre, Chris Medford NJ Shawnee NJ Attack/Midfield E Virginia
Landon, Chris Chevy Chase MD St. Albans School DC Defense/LSM E Virginia
English, Connor Manhasset NY Manhasset NY Attack E Virginia
Cockerton, Matt Oshawa ON Monsignor Paul Dwyer ON Attack/Midfield U Virginia
Cockerton, Mark Oshawa ON Monsignor Paul Dwyer ON Attack U Virginia
White, Matt Ridgefield CT Ridgefield CT Attack E Virginia
O'Reilly, Nick Rockville Centre NY South Side NY Attack E Virginia
Ghitleman, Jacob Laurel Hollow NY Cold Spring Harbor/Deerfield Academy MA Midfield E Virginia
Long Jr., Howie Ivy VA St. Anne's-Belfield VA Defense E Virginia
Riley, Blake Byfield MA Governor's Academy MA Attack/Midfield E Virginia
Prevas, Harry Baltimore MD Gilman School MD Defense E Virginia

Looks like a serious class coming in to reload the team

Possible Starting lineup:
Attack:
Stanwick
English
Fuchs

1st Midfield:
S. Bratton
R. Bratton
Carroll

2nd Midfield:
Haldy
Elsmo
Huguely

Defensive Midfield:
LSM: Malphrus
Max Pomper
Mike Thompson

F/O:
Ince
Elsmo
LaPierre

Defense:
Nizolek
Lovejoy
Clausen

Goalie:
Ghitleman
wahoowa9

Re: VIRGINIA 2010

New postby ohmilax34 on Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 am

I think UVa is the favorite to win the title next season. It usually goes to the team with the best midfield and they don't lose much at midfield.

I think the attack will see a drop off, but there is still a lot of talent there. I wonder if Bocklet might start with Stanwick and English is a lefty I think, so I would guess that he'll get a lot of playing time.

O'Reilly and White are big recruits. White is supposed to be playing middie.

If the Cockerton's are coming in, this could be the best freshman class. JHU has a good group coming in and SU is bring in some good players and they'll have a lot of redshirt freshmen who are a year older and ready to play.
ohmilax34

Some thoughts

New postby Fill on Tue May 26, 2009 12:35 pm

First of all, I don't think Fuchs will start on attack. Most likely Stanwick sliding to X and operating with his right hand, English moving into the lefty role, and either Bocklet or one of the freshman taking the third spot (or shift a guy like Haldy back to his natural position). I would look for this to be a finishing unit rather than a creating unit, if the Brattons can refine their passing skills once they create slides.

On the midfield, I would expect to see Chris Lapierre playing very early, maybe even on the first line. Dom has a history of running first year middies with good potential on the first line to spread out the depth of experience (eg, Dixon, Carroll, S Bratton). Some have suggested a missing element for the Hoos this year was toughness, and I would not disagree with that. LaPierre, who was good enough to garner some serious DI football interest as a safety and RB, should provide some physical play between the lines. I say get him in there, especially if the Brattons are the other first line middies. Need some power with the finesse. I don't know where that leaves Carroll. Maybe he could play a Poskay-type middie role as a quasi-attackman.

On defense, I would love to see Clausen rotate up and play LSM. He is a good defenseman, but could be an outstanding LSM with his speed and GB skills. Maybe Malphrus and he could switch, as Bray seems to be a littler more solidly built and more suited to positioning rather than takeaway checks. Who knows if this will happen or not.

I guess the third D man will be Lovejoy if he comes back strong from his injury. He appeared to have good athleticism and stick skills in limited action two years ago. It seems to get a little thin after that, as Dom did not give much PT to any of the first year poles. I don't know if the incoming guys are projected as potential starters or not, but I would think that at least Long would fall into the "project" category given his potential and athleticism. Is this a unit where Dom may look for transfer for next season?

I hate to say it, but I think our coaching and strategy needs to improve for next season. I felt that all 3 of our losses came to teams whose coaching staff gameplanned for us very effectively, and we did not adjust. With increased competition level across the sport, we no longer have the clear talent advantage that allows us to say "here is what we're going to do - try to stop us." We need to gameplan for different teams and their tendencies, becoming a more flexible unit that does whatever it takes to win. I felt like our mantra all season in the face of adversity was to tighten things down and become "a better version of ourselves" rather than implementing carefully crafted strategies to counter the opposition. I thought that was a little bit disappointing.

The goalie play against JHU was very encouraging, and for a game we looked more like the national championships of 2003 and 2006 were good saves lead directly to offense in the transition game. This has been lacking the last few years, and it took Adam's performance against JHU to remind me of how essential that element is to our team success. Development in the goal will be key to getting back to a running game hopefully fueled by the Brattons. Adding another JJ Morrissey certainly would not hurt either.

That's about all I have. I'd love to see some more discussion on here about the state of UVA lax.
Fill

Re: Virginia 2010

New postby wahoomurf on Tue May 26, 2009 2:06 pm

English will be a welcome addition as will O'Reilly and White.English is just tearing it up and has a lefty rocket.Should fit like a glove on the left wing.O'Reilly had what some may consider an "off year".In all fairness,the South Side team started out slowly.However lately,O'Reilly seems to be rounding into form.The playoffs tend to bring out the true leaders and he is clearly RVC/SS's go to guy.White is an amazing talent.He can make the switch to midfield rather easily as he is a superb athlete.

These are comments about the guys I've 'watched this year and IMHO,the future looks bright for these guys and next years team..

Last year,Jake G. played his chords off throughout the playoffs.Not sure what kind of year he had at Deerfield.Great athlete.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Tue May 26, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can live to be 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to be 100."
wahoomurf

New postby wahoomurf on Tue May 26, 2009 2:10 pm

wahoowa9 wrote:Might as well start it up:

Key losses:

Danny Glading
Garrett Billings
G. Gill
Mike Timms
Matt Kelly
Steve Gianonne
Chad Gaudet

Additions/Recruits:

LaPierre, Chris Medford NJ Shawnee NJ Attack/Midfield E Virginia
Landon, Chris Chevy Chase MD St. Albans School DC Defense/LSM E Virginia
English, Connor Manhasset NY Manhasset NY Attack E Virginia
Cockerton, Matt Oshawa ON Monsignor Paul Dwyer ON Attack/Midfield U Virginia
Cockerton, Mark Oshawa ON Monsignor Paul Dwyer ON Attack U Virginia
White, Matt Ridgefield CT Ridgefield CT Attack E Virginia
O'Reilly, Nick Rockville Centre NY South Side NY Attack E Virginia
Ghitleman, Jacob Laurel Hollow NY Cold Spring Harbor/Deerfield Academy MA Midfield E Virginia
Long Jr., Howie Ivy VA St. Anne's-Belfield VA Defense E Virginia
Riley, Blake Byfield MA Governor's Academy MA Attack/Midfield E Virginia
Prevas, Harry Baltimore MD Gilman School MD Defense E Virginia

Looks like a serious class coming in to reload the team

Possible Starting lineup:
Attack:
Stanwick
English
Fuchs

1st Midfield:
S. Bratton
R. Bratton
Carroll

2nd Midfield:
Haldy
Elsmo
Huguely

Defensive Midfield:
LSM: Malphrus
Max Pomper
Mike Thompson

F/O:
Ince
Elsmo
LaPierre

Defense:
Nizolek
Lovejoy
Clausen

Goalie:
Ghitleman

You left Benincasa off your F/O list....an oversight or an opinion?
Last edited by wahoomurf on Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can live to be 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to be 100."
wahoomurf

New postby wahoowa9 on Tue May 26, 2009 2:38 pm

wahoomurf wrote:
wahoowa9 wrote:Might as well start it up:

You left Benincasa off your F/O list....an over site or an opinion?

Oversight...my bad.
:?
wahoowa9

New postby jhu7276 on Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Heard ya finally ran out of Gills...

:wink:
"showoff shown up at showdown"
"It's your attitude not your aptitude that determines your altitude"
(both from fortune cookies)
jhu7276

New postby Gypo Nolan on Wed May 27, 2009 9:40 am

jhu7276 wrote:Heard ya finally ran out of Gills...

:wink:

Are there any more Stanwicks out there?
"When bad ideas have nowhere else to go,they emigrate to America and become university courses"- Oscar Wilde
Gypo Nolan

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Gypo Nolan wrote:Are there any more Stanwicks out there?

Didn't know if your question was real or rhetorical but yes there are - Wells Stanwick is at Boys Latin right now - the MIAA afficianados are high on him - there might be one more - Tad maybe? also at Boys Latin? not sure about that one

On one of the other Virginia threads some folks seem pretty positive that at least the better Cockerton is not heading to C'ville this coming year - no idea if that's true but it seems to be a recurring notion.
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby rasheed on Wed May 27, 2009 12:32 pm

ohmilax34 wrote:I think UVa is the favorite to win the title next season. It usually goes to the team with the best midfield and they don't lose much at midfield.

I think the attack will see a drop off, but there is still a lot of talent there. I wonder if Bocklet might start with Stanwick and English is a lefty I think, so I would guess that he'll get a lot of playing time.

If the Cockerton's are coming in, this could be the best freshman class. JHU has a good group coming in and SU is bring in some good players and they'll have a lot of redshirt freshmen who are a year older and ready to play.

ohmylax34 - i love your positive attitude - but I must say your assessment makes no sense to me. This year was UVA's best chance IMHO for the next 2-3 yrs. This year the team lacked toughness. There were no guys, outside of Kelly and Nizolek, that anyone would be scared to see in a back alley - unlike, say, their undefeated season, when there were tough kids like Dixon, Culver, Poskay and Ward - kids that could take a punch and then punch back - knocking the kids block off. That's what it takes to have win the championship - Cornell and Cuse had it this year - we didn't. Asides from Lapierre, I dont see any kids like that on the roster or coming in. Make no mistake - as far as "lacrosse talent" - yea, we ALWAYS have some of the best recruits - but to win, we need tough kids - and I don't see them right now.
Today's ThreatDown:

#1: Conservationists
Amphibians are nature's fence-sitters. Come on, amphibians, which is it? Water or land? Pick one. We're at war.
rasheed

New postby dek on Wed May 27, 2009 12:35 pm

There is talk that Mark Cockerton may take a post-grad year. I don't think there has been anything official from Starsia or the Cockertons .
dek

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 pm

If you go by a fairly commonly espoused theory on tournament success - talented experienced first mid-fields are a key to success - certainly a common element in recent tournaments since 2003
'03 - Rotelli, Shannon, Glading
'04 - Bunch of seniors - Nee, etc.
'05 - Harrison, Rewkowski, G. Peyser as a junior leading second line
'06 - Dixon, Poskay, Thompson a junior
'07 - Maybe the youngest of the most recent bunch - 2 juniors and a freshmen
'08 - Brooks, Loftus and all the juniors
'09 - All the juniors that became seniors from the year before

With that in mind as I look at the mid-fields - UVA will trot out 2 juniors and a senior on their first middie line (likely the Brattons and Brian Carroll). I'm having trouble coming up with a more experienced mid-field from the likely suspects:
Duke - loses Shoeffel and Ross - could put Crotty back at middie - but who joins Turri on the first line?
UNC - loses Hunt - Delaney's a senior, Dumpster's a sophomore
Cuse - I'm certainly not going to sell them short - but mid-field experience would certainly be the #1 reason you wouldn't pick the Orange
Princeton - loses 2 and middies are also probably the primary reason you would argue against the Tigers
Cornell - huge losses in the mid-field
Maryland - essentially loses the entire starting mid-field from the beginning of the season - like all these teams - not without very good young players but short on first line experience
Hopkins - has Kimmel - one tantalizing possibility in Palasek's inversions - but as QK likes to say - "Who's going to run by their man and start the defensive rotation?"

From this list - UVA and UNC seem best positioned from the first mid-field line
Cyanocitta Cristata

New postby molo on Wed May 27, 2009 1:32 pm

It wasn't too long ago that I can remember sitting next to a former Hopkins attackman who commented that Virginia always had their share of goons among their defensemen. During this year's regular season UVA-Hopkins game a former UVA defenseman a little younger than I am remarked about the lack of toughness. There are several kinds of athletic toughness, the kind that makes receivers afraid to go over the middle and the kind that allows the marathoner to run through the pain he is inflicting upon himself. This year's team lacked the first type, the enforcer who metes out punishment, and the second type, the player who fights through the mental and physical torment when the game is slipping away.
SU had both types. The 2005 Hopkins team had lots of the second type, winning all those close games and losing none. Can you coach it, or do you have to recognize it and recruit it?
As a mediocre--at best--athlete, I always assumed that those better than I had the second type because I could not comprehend that a superior athlete would lack the mental toughness to deny discomfort in pursuit of victory. Unfortunately, skill and determination are not distributed in equal measure or always to the same individuals.
molo

New postby maddog9718 on Wed May 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Cyanocitta Cristata wrote:
UNC - loses Hunt - Delaney's a senior, Dumpster's a sophomore

From this list - UVA and UNC seem best positioned from the first mid-field line

"Dunster" :lol:
Go Heels
maddog9718

New postby mack on Wed May 27, 2009 5:11 pm

rasheed wrote:
ohmilax34 wrote:I think UVa is the favorite to win the title next season. It usually goes to the team with the best midfield and they don't lose much at midfield.

ohmylax34 - i love your positive attitude - but I must say your assessment makes no sense to me. This year was UVA's best chance IMHO for the next 2-3 yrs. This year the team lacked toughness. There were no guys, outside of Kelly and Nizolek, that anyone would be scared to see in a back alley - unlike, say, their undefeated season, when there were tough kids like Dixon, Culver, Poskay and Ward - kids that could take a punch and then punch back - knocking the kids block off. That's what it takes to have win the championship - Cornell and Cuse had it this year - we didn't. Asides from Lapierre, I dont see any kids like that on the roster or coming in. Make no mistake - as far as "lacrosse talent" - yea, we ALWAYS have some of the best recruits - but to win, we need tough kids - and I don't see them right now.

I agree with Rasheed this is not a "tough" bunch of kids, I saw them play 4 or 5 times this year and it appeared they just expected to win and did not play with a ton of heart. The 2009 team was incredibly talented given the same set of circumstances that 'cuse played through Monday I really don't think they would have or could have come back. The 2 glaring examples to me were the Dartmouth game that they trailed at home for 3 quarters and then finally out talented a poor opponent in the 4th quarter, and the second Duke game. One would have expected them to come out like a ball of fire with a killer instinct after the 1st whoopin and they just rolled over and played dead, there shouldn't be anything more motivating than revenge of an early season loss to a rival. (See Syracuse v. Hopkins 2004).
mack

New postby Gypo Nolan on Wed May 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Cyanocitta Cristata wrote:
Gypo Nolan wrote:Are there any more Stanwicks out there?

Didn't know if your question was real or rhetorical but yes there are - Wells Stanwick is at Boys Latin right now - the MIAA aficionados are high on him - there might be one more - Tad maybe? also at Boys Latin? not sure about that one

On one of the other Virginia threads some folks seem pretty positive that at least the better Cockerton is not heading to C'ville this coming year - no idea if that's true but it seems to be a recurring notion.

Blue Jay - I'm a wretched outcast (I live on LI) and was seriously wondering whether or not that family had any more up and comers.I sure like Steele.I had family at Georgetown when the older(est?) Stanwick sister was tearing it up with Erin Elbe.Didn't Steele go to LB? These other 2 Stanwicks are playing for Shriver.....wonder why they're not going to LB as well?

One of my former partners lives in Oakville,Onatario.He was very surprised,actually stunned,to hear that either Cockerton would/could go to UVA.Most of the Canadian kids PG at Salisbury. Perhaps Stan wants them to mature a bit both academically and physically.
"When bad ideas have nowhere else to go,they emigrate to America and become university courses"- Oscar Wilde
Gypo Nolan

New postby jhu7276 on Wed May 27, 2009 5:47 pm

If you want the "tough" UVA just watch them in any JHU game...

:twisted:
"showoff shown up at showdown"
"It's your attitude not your aptitude that determines your altitude"
(both from fortune cookies)
jhu7276

New postby Cyanocitta Cristata on Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Gypo Nolan wrote:Blue Jay - I'm a wretched outcast (I live on LI) and was seriously wondering whether or not that family had any more up and comers.I sure like Steele.I had family at Georgetown when the older(est?) Stanwick sister was tearing it up with Erin Elbe.Didn't Steele go to LB? These other 2 Stanwicks are playing for Shriver.....wonder why they're not going to LB as well?

G N: Everyone around these parts makes jokes about how many Stanwicks there are - and of course the unusual first names - so just wanted to recognize the possibility you were being facetious. Anyway, no real personal knowledge of the situation but the scuttlebut I remember reading over in the high school forum about why Wells is at Boys Latin instead of Loyola is that it was thought he could make a bigger impact sooner at BL - get playing time on the varsity sooner etc. Again, that could be a load of you know what... but I think it was the speculation du jour.
Cyanocitta Cristata

Re: Some thoughts

New postby 1moreUVAfan on Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Fill wrote:First of all, I don't think Fuchs will start on attack. Most likely Stanwick sliding to X and operating with his right hand, English moving into the lefty role, and either Bocklet or one of the freshman taking the third spot (or shift a guy like Haldy back to his natural position). I would look for this to be a finishing unit rather than a creating unit, if the Brattons can refine their passing skills once they create slides.

On the midfield, I would expect to see Chris Lapierre playing very early, maybe even on the first line. Dom has a history of running first year middies with good potential on the first line to spread out the depth of experience (eg, Dixon, Carroll, S Bratton). Some have suggested a missing element for the Hoos this year was toughness, and I would not disagree with that. LaPierre, who was good enough to garner some serious DI football interest as a safety and RB, should provide some physical play between the lines. I say get him in there, especially if the Brattons are the other first line middies. Need some power with the finesse. I don't know where that leaves Carroll. Maybe he could play a Poskay-type middie role as a quasi-attackman.

On defense, I would love to see Clausen rotate up and play LSM. He is a good defenseman, but could be an outstanding LSM with his speed and GB skills. Maybe Malphrus and he could switch, as Bray seems to be a littler more solidly built and more suited to positioning rather than takeaway checks. Who knows if this will happen or not.

I guess the third D man will be Lovejoy if he comes back strong from his injury. He appeared to have good athleticism and stick skills in limited action two years ago. It seems to get a little thin after that, as Dom did not give much PT to any of the first year poles. I don't know if the incoming guys are projected as potential starters or not, but I would think that at least Long would fall into the "project" category given his potential and athleticism. Is this a unit where Dom may look for transfer for next season?

I hate to say it, but I think our coaching and strategy needs to improve for next season. I felt that all 3 of our losses came to teams whose coaching staff gameplanned for us very effectively, and we did not adjust. With increased competition level across the sport, we no longer have the clear talent advantage that allows us to say "here is what we're going to do - try to stop us." We need to gameplan for different teams and their tendencies, becoming a more flexible unit that does whatever it takes to win. I felt like our mantra all season in the face of adversity was to tighten things down and become "a better version of ourselves" rather than implementing carefully crafted strategies to counter the opposition. I thought that was a little bit disappointing.

The goalie play against JHU was very encouraging, and for a game we looked more like the national championships of 2003 and 2006 were good saves lead directly to offense in the transition game. This has been lacking the last few years, and it took Adam's performance against JHU to remind me of how essential that element is to our team success. Development in the goal will be key to getting back to a running game hopefully fueled by the Brattons. Adding another JJ Morrissey certainly would not hurt either.

That's about all I have. I'd love to see some more discussion on here about the state of UVA lax.

You have some interesting thoughts. I like the Clausen to LSM move the best, along with Bray moving to close d. Your comments about Ken are right on. Malphrus could be just what we need at the crease. He likes to hit, has a bit of a nasty streak, and would take no prisoners. The number of opposing attackmen camping out in front of our net unchecked would drop significantly. About a year ago Starsia was quoted as saying that Bray might make a top quality close defenseman. The more I think about it, the more I like your Clausen/Bray idea.

If that switch works, we still need more toughness on defense. Dom likes Lovejoy, but I don’t know how tough he is. Does anybody know his style? I want to put a good word in for Howie Long who I have seen play twice. While many are skeptical of his lax talent, the guy likes to hit and he can bring it. He is not as big as his brothers and his stick skills need work but I think his positives outweigh his negatives. If he gives us more toughness out there, I’d like to see him on the field.

So close defense could be Nizolek, Malphrus and either Lovejoy or Long. I like the sound of that, although the group is a little light on experience at this position.

Does anybody know the style and readiness of Harry Prevas, the highly rated defenseman out of Gilman who starts here in September?

Regarding LaPerrier, I do like his size and strength but I don’t see him on the first line next year. He is still a little raw as a lax player, and we know how hard it is for a first year to adjust to being a college middie. Another point is that we probably need a passer if the Bratton twins are both going to be on the first line. That’s why Haldy has been out there with them. He was a top flight feeder (to Hopkins’ Wharton mostly) in prep school. There really is a dilemma here, because the best middie not named Bratton is Carroll. But I don’t know if I see him as an assist man for the twins. We don’t want to bury Carroll, he is a proven performer. That’s another reason for going slower on LaPierre than you suggest. I don't have specific suggestions for the 2 middie lines but we have good talent and we are deep. The coaches should be able to come up with good answers.

I agree that the coaching and strategy needs to improve. I love Dom and Van but this point may be the hardest to achieve. It may be difficult for them to change their approach. A wild idea would be to switch their responsibilities, Dom to offense and Van to defense. That might jar loose some new thoughts.
1moreUVAfan

Re: Some thoughts

New postby Laxter on Thu May 28, 2009 8:41 am

1moreUVAfan wrote:
Fill wrote:First of all, I don't think Fuchs will start on attack. Most likely Stanwick sliding to X and operating with his right hand, English moving into the lefty role, and either Bocklet or one of the freshman taking the third spot (or shift a guy like Haldy back to his natural position). I would look for this to be a finishing unit rather than a creating unit, if the Brattons can refine their passing skills once they create slides.

You have some interesting thoughts. I like the Clausen to LSM move the best, along with Bray moving to close d. Your comments about Ken are right on. Malphrus could be just what we need at the crease. He likes to hit, has a bit of a nasty streak, and would take no prisoners. The number of opposing attackmen camping out in front of our net unchecked would drop significantly. About a year ago Starsia was quoted as saying that Bray might make a top quality close defenseman. The more I think about it, the more I like your Clausen/Bray idea.

If that switch works, we still need more toughness on defense. Dom likes Lovejoy, but I don’t know how tough he is. Does anybody know his style? I want to put a good word in for Howie Long who I have seen play twice. While many are skeptical of his lax talent, the guy likes to hit and he can bring it. He is not as big as his brothers and his stick skills need work but I think his positives outweigh his negatives. If he gives us more toughness out there, I’d like to see him on the field.

So close defense could be Nizolek, Malphrus and either Lovejoy or Long. I like the sound of that, although the group is a little light on experience at this position.

Does anybody know the style and readiness of Harry Prevas, the highly rated defenseman out of Gilman who starts here in September?

Regarding LaPerrier, I do like his size and strength but I don’t see him on the first line next year. He is still a little raw as a lax player, and we know how hard it is for a first year to adjust to being a college middie. Another point is that we probably need a passer if the Bratton twins are both going to be on the first line. That’s why Haldy has been out there with them. He was a top flight feeder (to Hopkins’ Wharton mostly) in prep school. There really is a dilemma here, because the best middie not named Bratton is Carroll. But I don’t know if I see him as an assist man for the twins. We don’t want to bury Carroll, he is a proven performer. That’s another reason for going slower on LaPierre than you suggest. I don't have specific suggestions for the 2 middie lines but we have good talent and we are deep. The coaches should be able to come up with good answers.

I agree that the coaching and strategy needs to improve. I love Dom and Van but this point may be the hardest to achieve. It may be difficult for them to change their approach. A wild idea would be to switch their responsibilities, Dom to offense and Van to defense. That might jar loose some new thoughts.

Lovejoy is a tough (but somewhat short) stay-at-home type D-man- similar to Kelly. I LOVE the idea of switching Clausen and Malphrus. That switch needs to happen for so many reasons. I have heard that Prevas has more potential at close D that any of the 1st year poles we had this year.
Laxter

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I