Hobart 2010

Hobart 2010

New postby snowbart on Tue May 26, 2009 12:42 pm

I figure I'll get this started for anyone to share over the next eight months. While the second half of the 2009 season didn't quite go as hoped, next year is a new year. I thought a lot of progress was made this year on defense, clearing and riding and some new guys stepped up when having to replace 4 of the top five scorers from 2008. Next year, while having significant losses, there is a lot returning.

One small question is who will be the distrbiutor behind the cage next year (Colburn spent a lot of time there last year)? If Robinson is as good as advertised, do you move Pederson or Curtin behind the net. Curtin could do it, but what about Bigelow on the first line in that role with Curtin and Robinson. Then your second line is Pederson, Mike White and either Keegan or a FR on the second line and you've got your first two attack lines set. Will have to replace two on D (Evans and Hager), but a lot of guys played on that end of the field so there should be guys stepping up (Doodian, Klenhenz, Baumann, Reintjes). I liked what I saw from Datillo at Cornell and if he can get his shot on cage, this could add some transition O for the next couple of years. Look at how teams like Loyola have killed us with that the last few years, its a nice weapon to have. Obviously Silberlicht will anchor that half of the field next year, but I understand this goalie from the Buffalo area is supposed to be excellent as a possible heir apparent.
Hip Hobart Forever!
snowbart

Re: Hobart 2010

New postby ketch on Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 pm

We don't know who the contributing freshmen might be, but I think it will be Curtin, White, and Robinson on attack with the dynamo Pedersen moving to midfield to terrorize people there. If I've counted right, we've got the top 7 offensive middies returning. Count Pedersen as a middie and that's 8. Can't win without plenty of midfielders. DelPreore should be returning on D, I think, so there's no reason that unit shouldn't continue to improve with Max and O'Brien as anchors. The team is going to have depth and experience at every position. Of course going into the season no one will expect that we have anything, so that should play into our hands once more. X-factor is a bunch of unfamiliar teams on the schedule. And I think we're about due for a win against Cornell...
Estab. 1997
ketch

New postby TheInformant on Wed May 27, 2009 2:08 pm

I think the unknown player thing always plays into our hands for the first few games...

I think that's usually why we have a strong start and then sputter out towards the mid to second half of the season. I would much rather have seasoned veterans coming in than unknowns. Luckily, we should have that at the midfield at least.

I hate saying the same story different year after every season. I hope we can finally figure it out this year. A New conference may do us a world of good.
TheInformant

New postby oldbartman on Wed May 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Personally I prefer Pedersen at attack. He and Kevin Curtin (who will drive the attack) worked well together. Bigelow adjusted well to midfield and he will improve as long as he listens to the coaches. A forgotten Statesman is Ben Koster. He was out all season due to an injury. He has a cannon shot and can play midfield or attack. It will be good to get DelPreore back on D. Sean Robinsons credit transfer issues should be resolved so we will have another big attackman to take Jeff Colbourn's spot (he will be missed). Mike White has a nice slick stick and was coming on strong at seasons end. I hope Doug Shiver gets healthy and can return to his prior form. I've heard Derek Akner will be spending a lot time of this summer in Canada playing lax and should come back with improved stick skills to go with his good field vision. It looks like we have 2 good faceoff guys. Both of them improved as the season went progressed. As far as incoming freshmen I'm hearing good things, especially about the Dmen & LSMs. The attackmen from CBA is a solid finisher. @ of the incoming middies, Silberlicht (Max's "little" brother) and Goldacker are solid 2 way players. The middie from Landon is supposed to be a typical slick Baltimore player who can hustle. I've heard we're picking up a few other players ( 2 from NJ) and another LI kid. All in, it sounds like Bart is continuing to improve. Fall ball ... :D
lately things don't seem the same.....
oldbartman

New postby lroggy on Wed May 27, 2009 8:19 pm

A forgotten Statesman is Ben Koster. He was out all season due to an injury.

Thanks for posting that, I wonder what had happened to him.

Once again, a few goals (and one quicker whistle refs!) away from a pretty good season.

What will it take to get over the top? Better schemes? More conditioning? That one great attack recruit? As a long time hockey fan I can name numerous examples of teams that had to learn to win to become a league power. We seem to be at that point now.

And please, will someone sacrifice a live chicken (Bull Durham) to the G-ds to once and for all end our overtime curse.
lroggy

New postby snowbart on Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 pm

Moving Pederson to M is interesting. He scooped up a fair bit of ground balls last year (although he lost his share also). Does that move work and can he play on a line with Cassell if he continues to avoid his right hand next year? Could Curtin become the distributor? Is White ahead of Bigelow for first line (granted guys #3 - 5 are pretty interchangeable most years, so first and second line aren't that big of a deal).

Hopefully Shiver is back to form or someone else steps up with a shot because the hardest shot I saw this year was from Bigelow, and it wasn't comparable to Booth if you get my drift. I didn't see a single rocket all year (except maybe the one that hit the pipe late in the Cornell game). That seems to be missing.

On the recruiting front, I heard from someone close to this Bellando kid down in Boca that he is pretty interested in Hobart. Apparently all he used to talk about is Cuse (from what I've been told), but he's been silent on that in recent months.

Is anyone surprised that Jacksonville isn't on Bart's schedule for next year (surmised from looking at J'Ville's schedule)? Do people think it's simply a scheduling issue (e.g. needing to beef up OOC with losing G'Town and the restructured ECAC, probably can't afford St. Joe's, Canisius, Binghamton, Providence and J'Ville), or would there be any reason to believe there would be anything more behind it? Maybe just the expense? I just figured Bart - J'Ville would be on the schedule for a few years, at least.
Hip Hobart Forever!
snowbart

New postby Firefly on Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 am

re : Jacksonville - a certain A.D. probably views it as a no win situation.
Endeavor to persevere
Firefly

New postby ketch on Thu May 28, 2009 8:47 am

snowbart wrote:Moving Pederson to M is interesting. He scooped up a fair bit of ground balls last year (although he lost his share also). Does that move work and can he play on a line with Cassell if he continues to avoid his right hand next year? Could Curtin become the distributor? Is White ahead of Bigelow for first line (granted guys #3 - 5 are pretty interchangeable most years, so first and second line aren't that big of a deal).

Hopefully Shiver is back to form or someone else steps up with a shot because the hardest shot I saw this year was from Bigelow, and it wasn't comparable to Booth if you get my drift. I didn't see a single rocket all year (except maybe the one that hit the pipe late in the Cornell game). That seems to be missing.

On the recruiting front, I heard from someone close to this Bellando kid down in Boca that he is pretty interested in Hobart. Apparently all he used to talk about is Cuse (from what I've been told), but he's been silent on that in recent months.

Is anyone surprised that Jacksonville isn't on Bart's schedule for next year (surmised from looking at J'Ville's schedule)? Do people think it's simply a scheduling issue (e.g. needing to beef up OOC with losing G'Town and the restructured ECAC, probably can't afford St. Joe's, Canisius, Binghamton, Providence and J'Ville), or would there be any reason to believe there would be anything more behind it? Maybe just the expense? I just figured Bart - J'Ville would be on the schedule for a few years, at least.

Pedersen played middie at the Albany scrimmages last fall and was a standout. Oldbartman can confirm, but I think that middie is Pedersen's original position. We've got so many offensive middies with more on the way, however, that maybe he'll stay down on attack where he was very effective with Kevin Curtin. As for Pedersen's mostly/all left-handed play, it's not only effective, it's also popular. You could see Cody Jamieson copying him on Monday. 8)

Booth had a wicked ("wicked hahd") shot, but I don't remember him as being particularly accurate. Shiver, Bigelow, and Cassell all have good and more accurate outside shots. It still wouldn't be bad to have a Daryl Veltman-type who can blow a fastball past a Drew Adams from one yard inside the restraining line.

Jacksonville? I have no interest in playing them and the only thing it would do is roil the waters. Besides, J'ville isn't set to install a defense until about 2025, so things could get out of hand.
Estab. 1997
ketch

New postby laxwatch24 on Thu May 28, 2009 11:47 am

The laxpower recruiting database lists Blumer as transferring to Lemoyne. CNY fan who would love to see one of our boys come back home. Any news from the Hobart end?
laxwatch24

New postby pegleg on Thu May 28, 2009 12:28 pm

ketch wrote:Booth had a wicked ("wicked hahd") shot, but I don't remember him as being particularly accurate. Shiver, Bigelow, and Cassell all have good and more accurate outside shots. It still wouldn't be bad to have a Daryl Veltman-type who can blow a fastball past a Drew Adams from one yard inside the restraining line.

More accurate? Than Booth's...perhaps. I would not tout any of Hobart's shooters as overly accurate. Big hard shots, perhaps but accuracy? Add to the fact that gravity ceases to exist when Hobart shoots keeping all shots high only decreases the teams shooting woes. Mix in a few bounce shots would ya?
pegleg

New postby LA Statesman on Thu May 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I understood that next season the (latest and perhaps the last?) version of the ECAC would incorporate teams (OSU, Denver, Bellarmine?, etc) from the now "defunct" GWLL (save for ND which will go to the new Big East).

Works pretty well for a left coaster like me as a Denver-Hobart game is a) not too difficult to attend vs. getting to Geneva or elsewhere on the EC and b) there are lots of HWS alums in the LoDo area.
LA Statesman

New postby ketch on Thu May 28, 2009 4:37 pm

I don't know if someone posted this before, but Jake Silberlicht is going to be playing in the U.S. Lacrosse National Senior Showcase next month. He was on the Central team in last year's Empires as well and is going to be a great addition to the school and the program. You'll need to scroll down a bit...
http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com/ne ... ion-award/
Estab. 1997
ketch

New postby diehard on Sat May 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Yes, it is true and official. Blumer has left Hobart and will be at Lemoyne in the fall. It's too bad when good kids leave the program but if it's best for him/his family we wish him the best of luck.
We don't have problems, we have situations. Problems suggest blame, situations lead to solutions.
diehard

New postby snowbart on Sun May 31, 2009 8:28 am

I know LeMoyne really well (my best friend went there and I spent a lot of time there) and this has to be about something other than lacrosse. It's really too bad because I thought he was a very good and improving player. The goal he scored early against Fairfield was just nasty. Hpefully he finds what he's looking for at LeMoyne.

Anyone think TW's taking a shot at Jamie Lincoln? Seems like we haven't had our share of incoming transfers versus outgoing. The two that come to mind, Kirk and Williamson, were obviously incredibly high quality though. (never mind, I just saw that Hofstra is getting Lincoln, but the sentiment on transfers is the same)
Hip Hobart Forever!
snowbart

New postby ketch on Sun May 31, 2009 10:34 am

snowbart wrote:I know LeMoyne really well (my best friend went there and I spent a lot of time there) and this has to be about something other than lacrosse. It's really too bad because I thought he was a very good and improving player. The goal he scored early against Fairfield was just nasty. Hpefully he finds what he's looking for at LeMoyne.

Anyone think TW's taking a shot at Jamie Lincoln? Seems like we haven't had our share of incoming transfers versus outgoing. The two that come to mind, Kirk and Williamson, were obviously incredibly high quality though. (never mind, I just saw that Hofstra is getting Lincoln, but the sentiment on transfers is the same)

Any truth to the rumor that this is a trade, Jack Harmatuk for Blumer and a 2011 rookie to be named later?...Nick Blumer is the type of player who will help Lemoyne take down those Long Island teams in the playoffs. He's got more speed and quicks than what the Dolphins usually have at midfield, plus he's got two years of DI experience (and yes folks, there is a difference) and was really starting to come into his own. Too bad for 'Bart that he's going. Wish him well. What's with the #2, though? The last two players who wore that number (Buchmayr and Blumer) have left. Maybe that number should be retired. Personally, I'd like to see an attackman or midfielder wearing one of those crazy hockey numbers. "Goal by #87 from Hobart, his fiftieth of the season... Assist to #99..."
Estab. 1997
ketch

New postby oldbartman on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:54 pm

At this point most, if not all incoming freshmen will have had to send in their deposits for the 2009-10 academic year. I read comments about additional recruits who are not listed in LPs' data base. Jacob Silberlicht is the only one that isn't listed that I'm sure is coming to Geneva. Does anyone else know if there are additional recruits, who they are, where they're from, and what postions they play? As always additional insight is always welcome by the Hobart faithful. Thanks.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldbartman

New postby baggataboy on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:35 pm

The only recruit who has sent in his deposit for the 2009 - 2020 term is Blotto Blutarski. Yup, Bluto's son.
"Where would this college be without (lacrosse)? Have we got a stadium? Have we got a college? Well, we can't support both. Tomorrow we start tearing down the college."

Groucho Marx, Honorary Chair, HWS BoT (1932)
baggataboy

New postby oldbartman on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:03 am

Baggs... corrected

"sophmore year.... 3 of the best years of my life.."
oldbartman

New postby snowbart on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:31 pm

I saw that Daryl Veltman had been released from the Blazers. Is there any story behind this? I realize he hadn't produced much, but he was just the #1 pick last year, so it seems odd to give up on the guy so quickly.

Any other news from Bart? Any more updates on the Boz renovation?
Hip Hobart Forever!
snowbart

Veltman

New postby oldbartman on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:13 am

I'm pretty sure he was released from the MLL Boston Cannons, not the NLL Blazers. He had 77 pts for the Blazers this season and made the all rookie team.

Still waiting for some news on the new field and locker room, as well as any unamed recruits. Thanks.
oldbartman

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I