Syracuse 2010

Syracuse 2010

New postby Willy23 on Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:The King is Dead - Long live the King!

Congrats to the seniors who proved a lot of people wrong after the 2007 season and graduate with 2 National Championships. :clap:

Lot's of questions marks next year compared to this year. Players need to step up if they want to three-peat.

Some needs in no particular order:
1. 3rd defenseman
2. 1st line and 2nd line middies
3. F/O man
4. 3rd attackman

I was all ready to post my guess at a starting X but couldn't even get past the 3rd defenseman. Here are some thoughts.:

John Galloway........................G.........Jr.....(lock. 2 years. 2 rings. hopefully people get off his back.)

John Lade.............................D........ Jr.....(lock. played great all year)
Matt Tierney..........................D..........Sr.....(lock. played great all year)
Tyler Hlawati.........................D..........Sr.....(default 3rd defensman. I think White stays at LSM if he keeps a pole.)

Josh Amidon...............................M...........Jr.....(lock. really came on this year. will definitely draw a pole next year)
Marasco/Coleman/Mendes?.......M...........Fr.....(no idea who joins Amidon on the 1st line. whomever transitions fastest might win a spot)
Joel White..................................LSM.........Jr.....(best LSM in the country. will play major minutes with or without a long pole.)

Cody Jamieson........................A...........Sr.....(lock. should be dominant with a full off season with the team)
Stephen Keogh.......................A...........Jr.....(lock. leading returning point scorer)
Daniello/Desko? .....................A...........Sr/So.(these guys played 3rd fiddle all year. will need someone to carry, create and feed)
Marasco/Coleman/Mendes?......A...........Fr......(just like above someone needs to step up and feed Cody and Keogh)
Last edited by Willy23 on Tue May 26, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willy23

Re: Syracuse 2010

New postby clax13 on Tue May 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Willy23 wrote:John Galloway........................G.........Sr.....(lock. 2 years. 2 rings. hopefully people get off his back.)

Galloway will be a junior next year, not senior.
clax13

New postby Willy23 on Tue May 26, 2009 10:34 pm

clax13 wrote:
Willy23 wrote:John Galloway........................G.........Sr.....(lock. 2 years. 2 rings. hopefully people get off his back.)

Galloway will be a junior next year, not senior.

fixed. tks.
Willy23

New postby jhu7276 on Tue May 26, 2009 10:45 pm

yes...I'm sure you will come up with a feeder on attack...I think you guys will miss Sid Smith ALOT...I really think this guy solidified your D the last two years and took it to "a whole other level"...
"showoff shown up at showdown"
"It's your attitude not your aptitude that determines your altitude"
(both from fortune cookies)
jhu7276

New postby ohmilax34 on Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 am

jhu7276 wrote:yes...I'm sure you will come up with a feeder on attack...I think you guys will miss Sid Smith ALOT...I really think this guy solidified your D the last two years and took it to "a whole other level"...

I agree. He was the glue and he was fantastic on groundballs. We saw how much JHU missed Bocklet this season.

There are some guys competing for more playing time, like Conlin, Guadagnolo, Hlawati. Also, there will be some redshirt freshmen competing for time.

Next year will be fun to see how guys develop in bigger roles.
ohmilax34

New postby ohmilax34 on Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 am

Willy23 wrote:
UKLaxfan wrote:The King is Dead - Long live the King!

Congrats to the seniors who proved a lot of people wrong after the 2007 season and graduate with 2 National Championships. :clap:

Lot's of questions marks next year compared to this year. Players need to step up if they want to three-peat.

Some needs in no particular order:
1. 3rd defenseman
2. 1st line and 2nd line middies
3. F/O man
4. 3rd attackman

I was all ready to post my guess at a starting X but couldn't even get past the 3rd defenseman. Here are some thoughts.:

John Galloway........................G.........Jr.....(lock. 2 years. 2 rings. hopefully people get off his back.)

John Lade.............................D........ Jr.....(lock. played great all year)
Matt Tierney..........................D..........Sr.....(lock. played great all year)
Tyler Hlawati.........................D..........Sr.....(default 3rd defensman. I think White stays at LSM if he keeps a pole.)

Josh Amidon...............................M...........Jr.....(lock. really came on this year. will definitely draw a pole next year)
Marasco/Coleman/Mendes?.......M...........Fr.....(no idea who joins Amidon on the 1st line. whomever transitions fastest might win a spot)
Joel White..................................LSM.........Jr.....(best LSM in the country. will play major minutes with or without a long pole.)

Cody Jamieson........................A...........Sr.....(lock. should be dominant with a full off season with the team)
Stephen Keogh.......................A...........Jr.....(lock. leading returning point scorer)
Daniello/Desko? .....................A...........Sr/So.(these guys played 3rd fiddle all year. will need someone to carry, create and feed)
Marasco/Coleman/Mendes?......A...........Fr......(just like above someone needs to step up and feed Cody and Keogh)

I think you're right on with your list of needs.

I liked Knight, Jenkinson and Harder enough at FO and think they'll be fine next season.

My guess for the top 6 O middies are Amidon, Marasco, Eilers, Ianzito, Mendes and White. Of course, I could be totally off, I guess that's what'll make it fun. Maybe Jovan Miller gets more time on O, or Kevin Drew. Maybe Ryan Barber or Daniello.

My guess for the 3rd attackman between Keogh and Jamieson is Coleman. Desko and Daniello will still get some time.
ohmilax34

New postby MaxFischer on Wed May 27, 2009 9:39 am

3rd close D will be either Little Guad or Conlin. Hwalti stays at pole, especially if Joel is on the first middie line. I'm going to guess Little Guad wins the job.
MaxFischer

New postby maddog9718 on Wed May 27, 2009 9:53 am

Is it confirmed that Tony Mendes transfered to SU?
Go Heels
maddog9718

New postby whollymoly on Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 am

Point production is going to be the issue at M.

I agree Ianzito could well be in the middie mix. And almost any (non-boxla) A is a potential M at 'Cuse. I want to get a better look at Barber, and we know next to nothing about the level Coleman and Spenser Parnell are at (let alone the incomings - Hakeem Lecky, Pierce Abrams, Ned Parker). Maybe Jovan gets a harder, more accurate shot. I have a feeling he's on the verge.

But in the absence of a couple of serious step-ups out of all the M possibilities, I really think you need White at O mid (we're losing a first midfield line that was probably the best in the country). In that scenario, White's a potential Matt Abbott with probably a bit more scoring, in my view. It just sounds crazy to move the best pole in D1 to short O. But it could be the right thing.

Qs re pole options:
-What happened to Joe Moore ?
-Is Fazio good enough for serious immediate PT ? That's hard to do at close D, but we've seen it happen at longpole.
Saepe Errati, Numquam Dubitati
whollymoly

New postby ohmilax34 on Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 am

whollymoly wrote:Point production is going to be the issue at M.

I agree Ianzito could well be in the middie mix. And almost any (non-boxla) A is a potential M at 'Cuse. I want to get a better look at Barber, and we know next to nothing about the level Coleman and Spenser Parnell are at (let alone the incomings - Hakeem Lecky, Pierce Abrams, Ned Parker). Maybe Jovan gets a harder, more accurate shot. I have a feeling he's on the verge.

But in the absence of a couple of serious step-ups out of all the M possibilities, I really think you need White at O mid (we're losing a first midfield line that was probably the best in the country). In that scenario, White's a potential Matt Abbott with probably a bit more scoring, in my view. It just sounds crazy to move the best pole in D1 to short O. But it could be the right thing.

Qs re pole options:
-What happened to Joe Moore ?
-Is Fazio good enough for serious immediate PT ? That's hard to do at close D, but we've seen it happen at longpole.

Moore played in lots of games including the semis, but I don't remember seeing him in the final. He was the 3rd lsm and it's hard to get much minutes at that position. I think the hype for Moore at the beginning of the season was because he was such an unheralded recruit and a surprise that he, of all the freshman poles, was the one contributing.

I have no idea if Fazio can step in and play, but there are so many options that I doubt he'll have to. Don't forget about the freshmen who are probably redshirting, like Clegg, Myers and Hamlin.

I like your thought of having some attack at middie. Daniello, Marasco, Barber come to mind.
ohmilax34

New postby tobylax on Wed May 27, 2009 12:22 pm

maddog9718 wrote:Is it confirmed that Tony Mendes transfered to SU?

Based on his response when asked directly, no. Not sure SU is a good fit for him and I would think if SU wanted him there would be no doubt that he's coming. Too many unknowns here and I think SU is better off working with the middies they have and their incoming class.
tobylax

New postby TheyCallMeBruce on Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Is there any word on where the Thompsons will be next year? I remember a ton of hype surrounding those two, as well as Jordy Patterson, and I'm curious as to what is going on with all of them. Is there any chance that some of those mid spots get filled in by any of these guys next year?
TheyCallMeBruce

New postby FrontierLax on Wed May 27, 2009 11:40 pm

tobylax wrote:
maddog9718 wrote:Is it confirmed that Tony Mendes transfered to SU?

Based on his response when asked directly, no. Not sure SU is a good fit for him and I would think if SU wanted him there would be no doubt that he's coming. Too many unknowns here and I think SU is better off working with the middies they have and their incoming class.

When and by whom was he asked directly? I read a post on here saying that he was spotted at the Dome for a late season Syracuse game...
FrontierLax

New postby a fan on Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 pm

whollymoly wrote: It just sounds crazy to move the best pole in D1 to short O. But it could be the right thing.

I think that it'd be better to keep him at LSM. Clearing, F/O's, defensive consistency.

It's gonna be a bit weird to not have an obvious top notch dodging/shooting threat returning to the midfield, though. Syracuse has been spoiled on this count for many, many moons. Spaghetti offense by committee seems like the way to go. You've got two world class finishers on attack. You just have to to get them the ball. If I was Desko (and holy cow, I'm not) I'd be platooning his mids, looking for the kids who are ready for prime time.
a fan

New postby Willy23 on Thu May 28, 2009 6:54 am

TheyCallMeBruce wrote:Is there any word on where the Thompsons will be next year? I remember a ton of hype surrounding those two, as well as Jordy Patterson, and I'm curious as to what is going on with all of them. Is there any chance that some of those mid spots get filled in by any of these guys next year?

Jordy played at Grand Canyon University this season so I'm assuming he isn't coming to Cuse. 13g and 2a
Willy23

New postby gadget on Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 am

The post said he was at the last game in the Dome this year--vs. Siena. Mendes to 'Cuse is a done deal at this point. I don't know when tobylax is referring to, but it was probably a while ago. Mendes gives them offensive depth as well as a little experience. Always thought his game translated more to a free-flowing system of SU rather than, perhaps, the most scripted offense in college lacrosse at MD.

Also, IMO, White should stay at LSM. Didn't we all just watch him do work on Siebald?
gadget

New postby TheyCallMeBruce on Thu May 28, 2009 10:46 am

Willy23 wrote:
TheyCallMeBruce wrote:Is there any word on where the Thompsons will be next year? I remember a ton of hype surrounding those two, as well as Jordy Patterson, and I'm curious as to what is going on with all of them. Is there any chance that some of those mid spots get filled in by any of these guys next year?

Jordy played at Grand Canyon University this season so I'm assuming he isn't coming to Cuse. 13g and 2a

OK, but the Thompsons appear to have completed their eligibility at OCC. I read an article about them beating the hell out of someone, and they were referred to as "Syracuse hopefuls." What is the chance that they're at SU next year?
TheyCallMeBruce

New postby hvfan on Thu May 28, 2009 1:14 pm

About as much chance as me being there next year. [delete] content edited by moderators [delete]
hvfan

New postby whollymoly on Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Post Standard's take today, on topic (2010 prospects): http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/05/syracuse_lacrosse_to_reload_in.html

Sez Daniello and Desko were mids in HS anyway. I can see that in the way Desko moves, but wouldn't have guessed it about Daniello, with that precise comearound lefty 80-degree low to high shot of his.
Saepe Errati, Numquam Dubitati
whollymoly

New postby Cuse03 on Sat May 30, 2009 11:21 am

a little quiet on the championship front.....

we obviously lose alot, but we still have a ton of talent to choose from. if we can develop a solid 2nd and 3rd unit, no reason at all why we wont be going for a threepeat.

aside from the depth issue, finding a qb at attack, and figuring out what position to put joel white at (top 5 player in the country regardless of position) are the biggest ? we face.

what frosh/sophs will emerge?
Cuse03

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I