Siena 2010

Siena 2010

New postby The Mayor on Wed May 27, 2009 1:02 pm

So looks like the new thing is to talk about next year.

Key Losses:
M Kenny Mazzone: 17G 21A 52GB
M Chris Zarins: 20G 8A 23GB
FO Scott Montgomery: 55.7%FO 97GB 2G
FO Brett Heim: Spelled Montgomery when needed 53.2% FO
D Chris Viviano: DPOY, 3 time All-MAAC, 54GB 28CT
D Dan Mulhall: Captain, All tournament team, 25GB 12CT
D Anthony Nunziata: Started 10 of the 17 games he played 14GB 9CT
LSM Kevin Reilly
LSM Travis Montgomery
DM Charlie Rogener: 2G 1A 40% FO

Key Stats:
Returning 75% of the offense
17 players playing in 11+ Games
11 players having started at least 1 game
1 All-MAAC player having redshirted
Coming off first MAAC Championship and NCAA appearance
Only let up two double digit goal games (Syracuse 11, Johns Hopkins 11)

Key Returning Players:
G Brent Herbst Sr: HM AA, 3 time All-MAAC, former ROY… he’s legit

A Bryan Neufeld Soph: MAAC ROY, solid finisher on the left side and crease. 38G 13A… speaks for itself
A Jordan Loftus Sr: 3rd leading scorer in the conference. Primarily the X man in the offense this year. Really stepped it up during conference play.
A Ryan Duggan Sr: 2 time All-MAAC. Solid on the left side and can also play at X and through the right side. Can also play middie when asked but performs better on attack.

M Shaun Dunn Sr: 2 time All-MAAC, speed and shoots extremely hard on the run with both hands 5 EMO goals. Can go against a pole and is a nightmare for short sticks. Started off slow this year but showed his potential as the season progressed
M Chris D’Alberti Soph: future stud, played in all 18 games making 3 starts. Key player on EMO as well
M Matt Leithead Sr: Seen consistent playing time in his 3 years. Expect him to step up and become more of a consistent and go to middie.

DM Bryan Hale Sr: SOLID Dmiddie who can play the transition (5G 3A 24 GB 13Shots). One could argue he could play (and has) as a 2 way middie but I think he’s too valuable of a player on the defensive end. I would expect him to fill the void of Mazzone on the man down unit.
DM Mike Whalen Sr: Also a solid d middie who is capable of pushing the ball on the offensive end (2G 2A 10GB 5Shots). Most likely won’t be playing MDD as he was in the box 8 times last year (team leader among returning players).

LSM Faus Bernabo Sr: Played in every game as a Saint. 24GB’s and does well on the top middie of the other team. To be honest I don’t know ALL that much about him but I hear good things.

D Kyle Vercruysse Sr: Aside from Herbst, Cruysse will be the defensive leader on the field. Plagues a little by injuries this year but is a solid defender.
D Duncan Seale Jr: Great size, good experience, expect a lot of burn next year
D/LSM? Joe Vaccari Jr: Don’t know too much about him other than he played in 17 games and experience is key.

Key Reserves:
G Tom Morr Jr: Solid backup

A Chris Roth Soph: Played in all 18 games making 2 starts. A good man at X to spell Loftus or whoever is playing there. Great vision with 10A on 18PTS but can also score
A Matt Girsh Sr: All time: 115G 30A Former ROY, OPOY, 2nd team All-MAAC. Interesting to see where he fits in the offense next year. Could have a situation like Cuse situation with Jameson (L) and Keogh (R). Kid’s numbers speak aren’t disputable.

M John Rogener Jr: played through injuries at points in the year, playing in all 18 games making 2 starts. Smart middie who has got some speed and a strong left hand and great vision
M Brendan Murphy Sr: Primarily on EMO but I see him getting a lot of burn on 1st or 2nd line. 2 words… Lefty Cannon

DM Kevin Cotter JR: Great size, played in 12 games, expect him to be key next year.

D/LSM? Derek Favara Soph: Good size, some decent playing time, hopefully will improve by next spring
D/LSM? Phil Dumont Soph: Good playing time this year as a freshmen, expect more in 2020

Looking at the players that are returning with significant playing time I’m feeling pretty good but it’s always hopeful to have a freshmen stud come in and compete. Siena has 3 of the last 4 ROYs, I’d like to see that again in 2010. I don’t know much about the recruits coming in as I normally never do and I’m sure BB likes to keep that on the DL until the opening game. I mean who saw Neufeld being the player he is other than members of the team? I sure didn’t.

Siena’s D has been the strength of this team for the past 2 years and I’d like to see them perform just as well next year. The offense has been up and down but I’d like to see more production in the OOC games. With the experience they’re returning, I’m sure they have the ability to do so.

I guess the main concern to look at is F/O’s. Montgomery’s performance was a main reason for their 3 consecutive 10+ win seasons. Repeating in 2010 is going to be tough with mediocre faceoff play.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns?
Last edited by The Mayor on Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Mayor

Re: Siena 2010

New postby clockwork bluejay on Wed May 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Will Siena be returning to Homewood next year?
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
clockwork bluejay

New postby tunatime on Wed May 27, 2009 1:38 pm

mr mayor, as usual good thumbnail of the squad next year, particularly the losses. for those of us on the outside, the saints D was easy to overlook (those offensive guys get all the glory), but the D certainly got the job done. alot of wholesale changes there next year with poles, lsm, & dm. add in the new FO guy and who knows what the chemistry will be. mazzone & zarins have been great team players for them as well. fortunately, there is plenty of fire power back, but i wonder how much time it will take the team to gel. i'm sure they will still be favored.
tunatime

New postby Jerrylax on Wed May 27, 2009 2:17 pm

clockwork bluejay wrote:Will Siena be returning to Homewood next year?

That decision lies in the hands of one man. Date Petramala. I am sure Siena would love to return to Homewood. It is a great opportunity for them.

Siena Losses Mount, Wagner, and Prov to new conferences. They pick up Detroit, who just joined the MAAC. So there is room to pick up a few more OOC games. I can see Wagner and Prov on the schedule again, but not Mount. Reason being distance.

I like new match up's. It would be cool to see Siena play a Patriot or ACC team in 2010. Maybe Navy, Colgate, Army, Bucknell, Duke, etc.

Beggars can't be choosers though. So I will be happy with any new match up on the schedule.
Jerrylax

New postby The Mayor on Wed May 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Jerrylax wrote:Siena Losses Mount, Wagner, and Prov to new conferences. They pick up Detroit, who just joined the MAAC. So there is room to pick up a few more OOC games. I can see Wagner and Prov on the schedule again, but not Mount. Reason being distance.

Wagner and Mount are in the MAAC for 2009-2010 I believe, leaving 2010-2011
The Mayor

New postby Jerrylax on Wed May 27, 2009 3:45 pm

The Mayor wrote:
Jerrylax wrote:Siena Losses Mount, Wagner, and Prov to new conferences. They pick up Detroit, who just joined the MAAC. So there is room to pick up a few more OOC games. I can see Wagner and Prov on the schedule again, but not Mount. Reason being distance.

Wagner and Mount are in the MAAC for 2009-2010 I believe, leaving 2010-2011

Mayor...good call...
Jerrylax

New postby alaxgoaly8 on Wed May 27, 2009 6:19 pm

There are lots of key losses on both sides of the ball and FOX...

I think the defense will be fine though with 2 returning starters and plenty of young guys that got experience. I'm sure coach has someone that can fill in the 3rd slot down low. The key returner there though is Herbst.

The offense should be fine with 3 solid returning attackmen, who can distribute and score. I think Girsh will fit in nicely either at Attack, with one of the other 3 moving to midfield or Girsh himself moving to midfield. D'Alberti and Roth each saw significant time, and to have youngsters seeing that much time is only a good thing when you lose middies.

The faceoffs will be a concern of course because it didn't look like too many other guys have much experience on the roster at that spot.

Has anyone heard about the recruits coming in or transfers? I noticed they weren't listed on laxpower this year. I heard the kid from PA is an impact recruit, but haven't heard much else. I have to imagine the NCAA appearance will help more with the next recruiting class than this one.
alaxgoaly8

New postby Trapper on Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 am

Got to be careful with Girsch. His production dropped significantly from 2007 to 2008 (69 pts to 43 pts), and he dominates the ball on Offense. Look at the stats, he takes a very high % of the overall shots on the team when he played. One of the strengths of this years team was the contribution of a lot of players.

I would definately leave Loftus & Nuefield on Attack. You could move Duggan back to middie or put Girsch at middie. Whatever Brecht decides to do I would make it clear to Girsch that he is not the epicenter of the offense & needs to move the ball.

The kid Debellis from Emmaus PA is legit. Named to play in the US Lacrosse senior showcase & has had extensive playing time with the Dukes club team that won Champ Camp 3 straight years (was actually signaled out in insidelacrosse.com for his play at Champ Camp). Martinsen from Smithtown West is another good one coming in.
Trapper

Re: Siena 2010; Stats

New postby Laxxinterest on Thu May 28, 2009 9:31 am

Look at the stats, he takes a very high % of the overall shots on the team when he played. One of the strengths of this years team was the contribution of a lot of players.

Trapper: I have in fact looked at the team stats, and you are probably spot on. In 2008, 16 games 79 assists (4.9 avg.); 2009 18 games 119 assists (6.6 avg.); according to NCAA, that's 10th nationally. Whatever caused the change (personnel, philosophy, maturation, etc.), it seems to have been successful this year. I would love to see that approach continue in 2010 and beyond.
Laxxinterest

New postby WheredWhoGo on Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 am

Trapper wrote:You could move Duggan back to middie or put Girsch at middie

IMO, I do not see Girsh in a Midfield role. Perhaps he could play out of the box, and be first off on clears, but that leaves the chance of being caught on defense and I dont think Girsh has played much D.

Trapper wrote:Whatever Brecht decides to do I would make it clear to Girsch that he is not the epicenter of the offense & needs to move the ball.

This I do agree with. Siena had way too much success this year to revert back to old gameplans. Might hurt an ego, but its for the good of the team, and I think Girsh can provide help in areas like EMO. He's defnintely an asset, but I dont think its going to be like 2007 and 2008.
We went like this, he went like that. I said to Hollywood, "Where'd he go?" Hollywood says, "Where'd who go?"
WheredWhoGo

New postby alaxgoaly8 on Thu May 28, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm not sure you can compare how Girsh played before to how he would play now. In 2007 and 2008, the supporting cast wasn't there, so when you have a guy who can shoot, you let him shoot, especially if you don't have another shooter.

I agree that he has to get on the train or be left at the station though. Either play within the team concept or don't play. But I also think that is reflected in the supporting cast. The better the supporting cast, the more often you share the ball.

Who knows what this team will look like next year. They have a lot of really good young players on the squad that could take over for starters already there. We won't really know until next year.

I'd be interested to hear about more recruits though. Anyone have more info besides the two mentioned? Any transfer news? You've got to figure that the Loftus connection to OCC could only help lure a couple more kids from there.
alaxgoaly8

New postby Jerrylax on Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 pm

alaxgoaly8 wrote:I'm not sure you can compare how Girsh played before to how he would play now. In 2007 and 2008, the supporting cast wasn't there...

By "supporting cast", who exactly do you mean?
-In 2007 and 2008, Duggan started and put up 38 points in both years
-In 2007, Matt Donovan put up 54 points
...Not to mention Zarins, Mazzone, Lashomb, S. Montgomery, Herbst, Viviano, etc. etc. etc..

I think it is a bit unfair to say there was no supporting cast. Yes..Loftus and Neufield are huge additions. But they basically had the same supporting cast as Girsh did.

alaxgoaly8 wrote:...so when you have a guy who can shoot, you let him shoot, especially if you don't have another shooter.

What are you judging this assumption on? Seriously...
Jerrylax

New postby Gladhe8er on Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 pm

I think they have enough firepower coming back. The main thing that worries me is the face-off situation. I remember we went 0-24 against Boston College when I played and only lost the game 13-7. Would have been a different story if we got the ball. Anyways, I only got to see a few games on TV this year, but they have legit players all over the field. it will be interesting to see what the new recruits do as well.
Gladhe8er

New postby Trapper on Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

Update on PA recruit Mic Debellis. Named today as a US Lacrosse All-American from the Eastern PA(Suburban Philly) Area.

That makes 3 HS US Lacrosse All-Americans Brecht has recruited now on Siena's Roster. Loftus - 2005 from CNY Area. Veracruysse - 2006 from Hudson Valley. 2009 - Debellis from Eastern PA.
Trapper

New postby alaxgoaly8 on Fri May 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Jerrylax wrote:
alaxgoaly8 wrote:I'm not sure you can compare how Girsh played before to how he would play now. In 2007 and 2008, the supporting cast wasn't there...

By "supporting cast", who exactly do you mean?
-In 2007 and 2008, Duggan started and put up 38 points in both years
-In 2007, Matt Donovan put up 54 points
...Not to mention Zarins, Mazzone, Lashomb, S. Montgomery, Herbst, Viviano, etc. etc. etc..

I think it is a bit unfair to say there was no supporting cast. Yes..Loftus and Neufield are huge additions. But they basically had the same supporting cast as Girsh did.

alaxgoaly8 wrote:...so when you have a guy who can shoot, you let him shoot, especially if you don't have another shooter.

What are you judging this assumption on? Seriously...

When you look up the full lineup of stats, this years team was much more well rounded statistically. The assists from 2008 were much lower than this years showing. I also think that the contributions came from much more people (especially the younger guys with 5 or more goals). While Donovan was a good player in his own right, there wasn't near the depth of this years team on the 2007 team.

As far as supporting cast, I was referring to the offense, not the defense. With a more rounded supporting cast around Girsh, I think he would adjust his game a bit. The point the other person was making was if Girsh would fit in with the new team and the point I was making is that the situation would be different when he returned on the offensive end.

As far as letting shooters shoot, other than Donovan in 2007, there wasn't another pure scorer on the squad like Girsh. Duggan was just starting out and wasn't the player he is now (factor in the competition played against as well from 2007 vs. 2009). The difference is having 5 guys with over 10 goals to having 5 guys with over 15 goals (Plus the number of guys with 19 assists or more went up as well). Nevermind the fact, you can't disregard the SOS difference Siena had in 2007 vs. 2009. The players now are putting up better numbers vs. better competition.

My point was, that you play the role that is needed onthe team that you are playing on at the time. Next year's team will be different than what Girsh was used to playing on.
alaxgoaly8

New postby unclax23 on Sat May 30, 2009 12:20 am

Siena will be intersting next year. I think they lose too many seniors to be competetive. The MAAC wil be terrible as usual and they will not be able to rebound with all those losses. I'm telling you right now and you can quote me " Losing Viv and Mazzone is going to kill." You might have some decent replacements but those two were warrriors who simply cannot be replaced.
unclax23

New postby oldmanlax on Sat May 30, 2009 10:03 am

unclax23 wrote:Losing Viv and Mazzone is going to kill." You might have some decent replacements but those two were warrriors who simply cannot be replaced.
so what? you expect some optimism from a unc lax fan???
Go underdogs!
oldmanlax

New postby laxduck on Sat May 30, 2009 10:07 am

I'm telling you right now and you can quote me " Losing Viv and Mazzone is going to kill." You might have some decent replacements but those two were warrriors who simply cannot be replaced.[/quote]

Spoken like a true parent
laxduck

New postby Trapper on Sat May 30, 2009 2:49 pm

unclax23. What's up with the attitude? Have your team play with 3.5 scholly's every year and see what happens. You had enough problems being fully funded. The scholly limit was just raised in the MAAC this year. Siena will be playing with 8 scholly's next year.

Siena will be dam good next year. Top 3 scores return as well as Girsch. Good recruit coming in from Emmaus PA who was just honored as a HS US Lax All-American as well as a good attackman from LI - Smithtown West who just scored 4 goals in upsetting the 1 seed in Suffolk County Class B.

Agree replacing Viv will be tough. Siena is a legit D1 team and shoul apologize to no one. Let's see- UNC beat Providence 14-7 and Siena beat them 7-1. Pretty comparable scores wouldn't you say?
Trapper

New postby LI13 on Sat May 30, 2009 4:18 pm

I've seen two Siena recruits play recently, Smithtown West middie Danny Martinsen and South Side attackman Brendan Meehan. Both impressed me and I think are good pickups for the Saints. Martinsen is a good all-around middie who has led his young team (he is one of only two or three seniors that play) to the Suffolk B title game. He does everything, plays the wing on faceoffs, is great on ground balls, is everywhere on the field and has a pretty good shot as well. I think this kid will be very good for you guys. Meehan had a couple of goals against Lynbrook last night and looked pretty good overall. Hard to say too much about him since that was the only time I had seen him play, but he did look good.
Boys Suffolk Champs 2001, 2002, Long Island Champs 2001, 2002, State Champs 2001
Girls Suffolk Champs 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, Long Island Champs 1998, 2003, 2004, 2011, State Champs 2011

Northport Lacrosse L12A
LI13

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I