Cornell 2010

Cornell 2010

New postby Kenton Place on Thu May 28, 2009 9:00 pm

Lets fire this up. Thoughts on returning talent? Word on incoming freshman class?
Kenton Place

Re: Cornell 2010

New postby Big_Big_Red_Fan on Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 am

On paper, I think we're actually in good shape. Pannell showed he can create against the top D. Hurley has another 40 in him, at least and I think we have enough depth to find a third guy to complement those 2.
If Lang is as good as advertised, our other middies can fill in around him and we'll be ok there.
I think we'll be able to field a solid Defense as well. Frosh from Ithaca HS should be able to fill the net.

We can replace the points in my opinion but who's going to be the voice in the locker room now that Max is gone. And who does the team lean on now that Max, Johnny, Moyer, Rocco, Jake, Finn and all the other seniors are gone? If someone doesn't step up, it's going to be a long season.

I believe Hurley and Derkac have to be the hardest working guys on the team.
Big_Big_Red_Fan

New postby panchess07 on Fri May 29, 2009 1:01 pm

It's going to be the best Ivy League season in a long, long time. There could be five teams in the running next year, with only Dartmouth and Yale on the outside looking in to start.
panchess07

New postby coyote on Fri May 29, 2009 1:24 pm

The bench is deep - players will emerge. It may not be a pretty process at first but the talent is there.

Lang can do more than play D and will be an offensive force in the future - same with Langton. The current sophomores showed little during the 2008 season but emerged strong this year - Feely, Livadas, Lau. I'm sure there are current freshmen who will step up as well next year now that 16 seniors are departing.

Leadership - two have been named and I'm sure they will step up vocally (Derkac) or by example (Hurley). MacDonald also will lead - he has seen significant playing time over the past 3 years and knows what it takes to compete at this level.

Goalie - don't discount the player already on the team. Martinez was considered a big time recruit when he committed to Cornell. He will compete hard for the job.

Face off - several good players are waiting for their chance - Sutherland and Raesly - time to see what they can do.

Defense - returns Howe, Derkac, MacDonald, Feely and Livadas who saw significant playing time this year. Yes - Moyer was a key to the defense but these players contributed greatly and form the nucleus of an excellent unit next year. Whoever wins the goalie job will be happy to have these players in front of him. Others will step up - they always do with this team.

d-mids - Does Boykin follow Calvert from ssdm to o-mid? What about Lang and Langton - do they stay or play both o and d? If all three move to o-mid with the graduation of the top 4 mids - who replaces them?

Offense - The Offense starts off great with the return of Hurley and Pannell. Does Ritchie stay at mid or move back to attack? Is Lau the third attackman? How about O'Neil and McMichael, they saw some time early but less as the season went on? Thompson started playing mid-season and saw more and more playing time with the second mids. They say he has a cannon of a shot and is also very accurate. What about Dudley, Gilbane, Austin, Restaino and Daugherty - all well regarded players waiting for a shot to play?

The Big Red start strong on defense in front of the goalie with a very capable junior on board and a big recruit coming in to compete for the job. They move down the field with the return of the top three d mids from this year. 4 mids return who ran on the second mid line this year who combined with the 3 d mids gives a strong start to the 2010 midfield. Attack is manned by two tremendous returning players with several strong alternatives currently on the roster. All-in-all, not a bad start.
coyote

New postby Big_Big_Red_Fan on Fri May 29, 2009 3:10 pm

The timing of the tournament might have worked out well for the Big Red. They may not start strong but you have to think that by the end of the year, they'll be playing well. I think they just need to find their way into the top 4 and hope to win a couple games.

I'm not discounting them winning the Ivy or getting an at-large, but they have a lot of work to do to replace the seniors. I think they can do it, but it's not going to look pretty at times.

I'm very excited for the season. These three coaches are as good as any in the country and these are the types of years that really separate the elite coaches.
Big_Big_Red_Fan

New postby CUontheslopes131 on Fri May 29, 2009 3:12 pm

I feel like 2010 will be less of a rebuilding year than 2008. Yes, we certainly have some key losses -Seibald, Glynn and Moyer most notably will be hard to replace. I mean it's almost impossible to replace a Tewaarten winner, but somehow Cornell always manages to reload, not rebuild. We have one returning asset that's more important than any other - our coach. Tambroni's famous for filling holes. The Cornell program has always been predicated upon having juniors and seniors step up after two years of little action. Of course, every now and then we have some underclassmen sprinkled in who shine (Seibald, Bolokus, McMonagle, etc.), but more often than not, it's the unheralded guys who make the difference and have breakout seasons.

The main concern for this team is obviously the midfield. I think Lang, McMichael and Thompson will step up nicely. They saw a lot of playing time in the NCAA tournament. Don't underestimate how important that big game experience will be for their maturity as players. They've been battle-tested. Getting to play 4 extra pressure-packed games accelerates the maturation process. They'll be sophomores next year, but they'll have played more like a season and a half of big games.

I net, hopefully Fiore (sp?) will step up and be a solid addition. I think the D in front of him, even without Moyer will be very strong. Attack likewise - hard to beat the duo of Pannell and Hurley. I expect another 40 goal year from Hurley and a MONSTER year from Pannell. He really elevated his game at the end of the year. At the outset of the year, he was more of a pure feeder, but he got much better scoring goals towards the end of the year. Because defenders had to respect his move to the net, it in turn made him an even more lethal feeder. I can't wait to see what he'll be able to do with a season of off-season strength and conditioning. I think he'll get to be a better dodger and more complete attackman next year.

Overall, I don't see the team slipping that much. I think they'll have some growing pains and I foresee them losing a close game or two early in the season without the standout senior leadership, but I think they'll gel and be a real threat again come May. They'll be more balanced next year than this year, hopefully with better goaltending (than the Myers in the regular season), a solid D nucleus, a high-octane attack and a midfield that has a few stars waiting in the wings. As a Cornell fan, I'm looking forward to next year far more than I was in 2008, when I thought the sky would collapse...
CUontheslopes131

New postby gobigred on Fri May 29, 2009 4:44 pm

CUontheslopes131 wrote:They'll be more balanced next year than this year, hopefully with better goaltending (than the Myers in the regular season), a solid D nucleus, a high-octane attack and a midfield that has a few stars waiting in the wings.

Keep in mind that Myers was hurt for nearly half the season, and didn't play until the Yale, Penn, and Harvard games, and then only in the fourth quarter. He was pretty solid in goal after the Syracuse game, which was his first start.
gobigred

New postby another fan on Fri May 29, 2009 7:58 pm

I think all the right names and thoughts are being mentioned, so I'll just try to fill in and talk about some of the incoming freshmen (unlike prior years, I have not seen any of them play, and this is based completely on others' comments.)

Attack-- I think Pannell, Hurley, and Lau will be a very strong unit. Guys like Austin and Restaino are good players who can provide depth at attack as well as midfield.Two freshmen with a chance are Taylor and Mock. Taylor in particular is having a great year and is one of the best in central NY. Mock plays on a LI team having an off year, is very good, but probably needs another year.

Midfield-- I think there will be a lot of experimentation here. Lang is the obvious candidate to replace some of the scoring we lose. Langton is a great athlete, but still raw. Boykin really came on as a defensive mid, and I'd like to see him stay there. I like Jack Dudley's size and athleticism and think he will see lots more time, probably on the defensive line. JJ Gilbane is a smooth athletic guy. Shane O'Neill seemed to have a sophomore slump, but can be an effective offensive player-- good speed, dodging, and hard shot. McMichael, Ritchie, Thompsen are obviously in the mix as returnees who saw plenty of time. There are two interesting freshmen-- Henry from LI and Van Bourgondien from Lawrenceville via NY. Both are good-sized, very athletic players who probably need a year or two, but will contribute down the road.

Defense-- Moyer was a star and huge loss, but we will be very good, and also very deep next year. Derkac, MacDonald, Feely,Howe and Livadas are an impressive returning nucleus Nobody has mentioned TJ Weyl and Ethan Gilbert (who was once described as having Belisle-like potential). Incoming freshmen Bronzino and Keith will be HS AAs or close to it from strong lacrosse areas. The Canadian kid, Noble, is smallish but skilled-- kind of reminiscent of Howe (who also proved himself to be an effective face-off option with a long stick). Cornell seems to be bucking the trend toward big defensemen.

Goal-- Martinez and incoming AJ Fiore will make us quite good here.

I think it might take some time for our midfields to jell but they will. As others have said, the leadership losses are huge. We'll probably be rated third in the Ivy League behind Princeton and Harvard, and close to Brown. But we all know not to underestimate this team and what the staff can mold with what it has.
another fan

New postby Kenton Place on Sat May 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Any word on Levine and the kid from WRA (Jake Thompson)? I heard the people from Landon thought that Thompson was a very good attackman (and he is Canadian...) The incoming face-off guy from Western NY is also suppose to be good. What about Ewanouski (football/lax player from BC High) and Myan Adams? Any color on those 2?
Kenton Place

New postby panchess07 on Sat May 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't think Cornell will fall off a cliff either, but the Ivy League was really good in 2009, and likely even better in 2010.

The Ivy tournament may help Cornell, but it adds an element of uncertainty. One lucky bounce of the ball, and Lehigh and Hartford would have made their conference tournaments.
panchess07

New postby panchess07 on Sat May 30, 2009 8:19 pm

The general Cornell schedule probably helps. As we usually play the weaker teams first, it should help build the schedule.

With a tournament, the weaker teams in the league will play harder as the season goes. We saw this year how good Brown was in a must-win situation. There will be more of that next season.
panchess07

New postby bleedred on Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 pm

I think another fan has it all correct I'm not quite up on all the incoming freshman but there is a ton of talent on this team that hasn't seen the field yet.
Attack - Pannell, Hurley and Lau are going to be fine. Restaino will fit in with no problem. I hear Mock from Huntington is a pretty good player and will transition pretty well.

Mids - Here is where we take the biggest hit but we have some unseen talent Dudley will need to step it up. Gilbane should be a nice addition to a second midfield line, as will McMichael(who is adjusting to the outdoor game)But the diamond in the rough is Langton his skills are still a little rough but he's probably the best athelete on the team he need some strong summer ball. I think the leadership of Boykin(who was one of the top scorers to come out of Maryland) will be needed. John Thompson will be just fine considering he to still adjusting to the outdoor game. Ritchie can float back and forth to Mid or Attack as can Lau.
I think the real key here is who will be the face off guy???? Sutherland, Raesly, possibly Boykin I mean we know Howe can hold his own I just don't know if he is the type of guy who can take ever face off.

Defense - We have two starters returning Feely and McDonald. I think Livadas will take over the third spot very nicely. As you can see toward the end of the year the coaches realized they had to get him on the field so they gave him a short stick.

Goal - I think we will be just fine Martinez has come through the Tambroni program and was a highly touted goalie to come out of LI. I hear he controls the defense very nicely.

The key will be how quickly they can come together I can't wait until fall ball.
bleedred

New postby another fan on Sat May 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Jake Thompson, a Canadian playing for Western Reserve in Ohio, is a nice player but is very small. I think Myan Adams' future is probably as a d mid. Don't know anything about Levine, although it would be great if he played like his father. Ewanouski is a big, multi-sport player with good speed. He made HS AA, but a lot do in Mass. Someone mentioned that Boykin was a scorer in HS, which is correct. He was a do it all mid and all MIAA, although his offensive game seems to be MIA the last couple years. On faceoffs, I think Kevin Raesly will surprise.
another fan

New postby Kenton Place on Sat May 30, 2009 11:41 pm

I don't know much about Thompson, I just heard that the Landon people thought he was legit... I don't want to forget Gillum - he could surprise. I heard he is solid as well. I think this class will contribute next year - just looking for some color.
Kenton Place

New postby laxfan1313 on Sun May 31, 2009 9:58 am

another fan wrote:Jake Thompson, a Canadian playing for Western Reserve in Ohio, is a nice player but is very small. I think Myan Adams' future is probably as a d mid. Don't know anything about Levine, although it would be great if he played like his father. Ewanouski is a big, multi-sport player with good speed. He made HS AA, but a lot do in Mass. Someone mentioned that Boykin was a scorer in HS, which is correct. He was a do it all mid and all MIAA, although his offensive game seems to be MIA the last couple years. On faceoffs, I think Kevin Raesly will surprise.

Cody Levine scored 106 points in 18 games this year, almost 6 points per game, and should contribute in 2010. http://www.maxpreps.com/new-york/lacros ... y-day-(rye)/cody-levine/stats.aspx?athleteid=e541f83d-49de-44c0-a694-a91526361236&ssid=e87192fb-49d0-4c7a-8841-e08ab796ba4e&urpath=,local,player
The Cornell-affiliated LAXPOWER Division 1 pollster

No one goes there anymore - it's too crowded! Yogi Berra
laxfan1313

New postby another fan on Sun May 31, 2009 11:03 am

laxfan1313 wrote:
another fan wrote:Jake Thompson, a Canadian playing for Western Reserve in Ohio, is a nice player but is very small. I think Myan Adams' future is probably as a d mid. Don't know anything about Levine, although it would be great if he played like his father. Ewanouski is a big, multi-sport player with good speed. He made HS AA, but a lot do in Mass. Someone mentioned that Boykin was a scorer in HS, which is correct. He was a do it all mid and all MIAA, although his offensive game seems to be MIA the last couple years. On faceoffs, I think Kevin Raesly will surprise.

Cody Levine scored 106 points in 18 games this year, almost 6 points per game, and should contribute in 2010. http://www.maxpreps.com/new-york/lacros ... y-day-(rye)/cody-levine/stats.aspx?athleteid=e541f83d-49de-44c0-a694-a91526361236&ssid=e87192fb-49d0-4c7a-8841-e08ab796ba4e&urpath=,local,player

Not a strong schedule, but that's a lot of points. I hope you are right about his ability to contribute.
another fan

New postby laxfan1313 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Some posters seem to want to skip over Matt Martinez at goal & move right to incoming freshman A.J. Fiore. That's not the Cornell way of doing things. Matt is an excellent goalie who has waited his turn and now it's here. He will be working over the summer with one of Cornell's Hall of Fame goalies and will be ready when the time comes to step up and contribute. I expect Matt to be the starter.
The Cornell-affiliated LAXPOWER Division 1 pollster

No one goes there anymore - it's too crowded! Yogi Berra
laxfan1313

New postby Big_Big_Red_Fan on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:21 pm

laxfan1313 wrote:Some posters seem to want to skip over Matt Martinez at goal & move right to incoming freshman A.J. Fiore. That's not the Cornell way of doing things. Matt is an excellent goalie who has waited his turn and now it's here. He will be working over the summer with one of Cornell's Hall of Fame goalies and will be ready when the time comes to step up and contribute. I expect Matt to be the starter.

I think we would all like to see that. I just think that with the uncertainty of the goalie situation around mid-season, it strikes me as odd that he never really got a chance. Somebody has to, and probably will, step up next year to fill the cage. I think we would all prefer the Junior candidate to be the guy, as opposed to the Frosh. Either way, I just hope the guy that's in there plays as well as Jake did in the Tourney.
Big_Big_Red_Fan

New postby semsox on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:24 pm

laxfan1313 wrote:Some posters seem to want to skip over Matt Martinez at goal & move right to incoming freshman A.J. Fiore. That's not the Cornell way of doing things. Matt is an excellent goalie who has waited his turn and now it's here. He will be working over the summer with one of Cornell's Hall of Fame goalies and will be ready when the time comes to step up and contribute. I expect Matt to be the starter.

I disagree. McMonagle was a four year starter under Tambroni. Jeff's going to go with whoever gives him the better chance to win, and I have reason to believe that will be Fiore, who was much higher regarded coming out of HS. Of course, neither of us will know for sure until fall ball starts and we hear some rumblings.
semsox

New postby Big Red Lax on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:54 pm

I also think Fiore will be the starter. He is highly regarded and Martinez had two years to step up with a very unsettled goalie situation and did not.
Big Red Lax

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I