Penn State 2010

Penn State 2010

New postby keystone on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Okay. 2009 is done and over and it is June 1. Time to start talking Penn State Lacrosse 2010 and playing in the CAA.

As noted at the end of the 2009 posts, Rastivo will be the man in goal and comes in with big time credentials and accolades. Huge shoes to fill though.

Mackrides is a player at attack and hopefully Forster is fully recovered by the start of the season. Hogan is the top midfielder and Bernier and Davis will anchor the defense. Ross will be a key defender too. Vosburgh and Shea were a nice surprises on offense in '09 and FO looks good too.

I have a feeling the incoming freshman class won't be quite as highly touted as the #5 ranked 2009 freshmen but I'm just guessing. Any potential impact players coming in?

Thoughts?
keystone

Re: Penn State 2010

New postby TWLax on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Just to be clear, Rastivo redshirted right? So he'll be coming in as a freshman this year?
TWLax

New postby keystone on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:35 pm

TWLax wrote:Just to be clear, Rastivo redshirted right? So he'll be coming in as a freshman this year?

Yes.
He could be in goal for the next 4 years.
keystone

New postby TWLax on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:33 pm

keystone wrote:
TWLax wrote:Just to be clear, Rastivo redshirted right? So he'll be coming in as a freshman this year?

Yes.
He could be in goal for the next 4 years.

That's great. Big shoes to fill, but we've had a lot of great goalies over the last 10+ years. Adams, Garrity, Vallone, Keenan.
They've all filled big shoes and done a great job. Hopefully Rastivo can step in and step up.
TWLax

New postby keystone on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am

I saw that Mackrides was picked by Inside Lacrosse as one of the top freshmen of 2009. Congrats.

I'm pretty sure Forster has 3 more years of eligibility, so those 2 should be fixtures on the attack for the next 3 years. That is exciting. Add Hogan at midfield for 2 more years and that makes 3 big time scorers.

Anyone want to take a shot at possible lines for next year?
keystone

New postby Myles Finch on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:51 pm

It looks like Guy Van Arsdale has been earning his pay. He has been doing a great job recruiting some great young players. I read that in Upstate New York there are three players coming to PSU. One is a pretty good D/lonestick middy from Geneva named Travis. A pretty quick middy and leading scorer from Penfield named Van Thof. And a junior middy has given his verbal named Tom LaCrosse (real name!). I think they all have made their respective first team All League teams and Tom LaCrosse was just named to the Under Armour Underclassman team I saw on the UA web page and will play in the New York State Class B Championship tomorrow as the leading scoring middy for Canandaigua.

I love it!! Keep adding horsepower!! There is just two things needed now. First is to get the Lions to play the beginning and middle of their season like they play at the end of their season. Second is for this team to get the national recognition on TV and in print that they should get. Of course when they start making a run for the National Championship the second need will take care of itself... Have a great summer guys!
Myles Finch

New postby zaglax on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:16 am

The tenative 2010 schedule is as follows:

February
20 Robert Morris (home)
28 at Notre Dame
March
6 at Ohio State
9 Villanova (home)
13 at Rutgers
20 at Duke
27 St. John’s (home)
April
3 Massachusetts (home)
6 Bucknell (home)
10 at Drexel
17 Hofstra (home)
24 at Towson
May
1 Delaware (home)
5 CAA Semifinals
8 CAA Finals

Finally, an ACC team agrees not to back down from scheduling the Lions; way to step up Duke. Now, if only Hopkins or Cuse would agree to play in the regular season instead of only pre-season this schedule would be top shelf. As it is, the improvement is strong as a good team looks to be even stronger next year.
SEMPER UBI SUB UBI
zaglax

New postby laxwatch2007 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Any truth to the rumor that Rastivo announced that he was transferring to North Carolina?? If so, who will the Lions have in goal next season??
laxwatch2007

New postby buddypass99 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Is it North Carolina? I heard Cornell.
laxwatch2007 wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Rastivo announced that he was transferring to North Carolina?? If so, who will the Lions have in goal next season??
buddypass99

New postby TWLax on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 am

buddypass99 wrote:Is it North Carolina? I heard Cornell.
laxwatch2007 wrote:Any truth to the rumor that Rastivo announced that he was transferring to North Carolina?? If so, who will the Lions have in goal next season??

Eugh, this would not be good news. I have no information on the subject, but would love to hear something legitimate one way or the other.
TWLax

New postby laxs-a-daisical on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 pm

It is UNC and should be offical by weeks end.
laxs-a-daisical

New postby Lax Veritas on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Interesting, if true. Rastivo was redshirted in 2009 and has four years of eligibility left.
"If you can't afford a NO answer -
Don't Ask!"
Lax Veritas

New postby laxjunkie2 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Lax Veritas wrote:Interesting, if true. Rastivo was redshirted in 2009 and has four years of eligibility left.

Just checked 2009's roster. That only leaves 1 goalie who will be a Junior, and there are no goalies showing on the incoming recruit page. Somebody close to Coach Thiel better send him this... http://www.athletics.psu.edu/recreation/clubroster.asp?Club_ID=33 . Looks like about 150 names, bound to be a few goalies in there.
laxjunkie2

New postby Trinity on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Last I heard, Steven is going to school on LI this fall.
Trinity

New postby TWLax on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Does anyone know why he's leaving PSU?
TWLax

New postby gwd4141 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm

If it is true about Rastivo, it's a real shame for his teammates. Bailing out on them at this time of the year is a real shaft job. No room for the coaches to recruit. This rumor was around in April, and if he had privately spoken with the coaches then, they may have been able to get another goalie. I give Coach Thiel credit for approving the release. He could have kept Rastivo out another year.
gwd4141

New postby POlaxer on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:31 pm

gwd4141 wrote:If it is true about Rastivo, it's a real shame for his teammates. Bailing out on them at this time of the year is a real shaft job. No room for the coaches to recruit. This rumor was around in April, and if he had privately spoken with the coaches then, they may have been able to get another goalie. I give Coach Thiel credit for approving the release. He could have kept Rastivo out another year.

If it is not the right fit, it's not the right fit.
I've followed this thread over the past year and have a pretty good feel for how frustrated the Lions fans have become. The back-biting, second guessing and down rite calling for the head of the Coach has not been pretty to watch and this, from adults. You expect more from kids?
Coaches, AD's and Administrations all treat this like a business and it's not "fair" to anyone. In light of the whole Tierney change and the off season Coaching carousel, what do you all expect? How about the Drexel players and recruits? If Vanarsdale was offered a plumb head coaching job at a prominent D1 school, you don't think he would jump?
Let's not get all sanctimonious here.
I'm sure this was a very difficult decision for the young boy and tough on both the player and his (ex) teammates.
We all seem to give Coaches a pass when they change their mind and look to greener pastures so let's get some perspective and afford the same understanding to an 18 year old.
POlaxer

New postby Baltimoron06 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Excellent post. These are 18/19 year old kids. Sometimes you don;t realize it's not the right fit until you're there.
Baltimoron06

New postby laxjunkie2 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:46 pm

POlaxer wrote:
gwd4141 wrote:If it is true about Rastivo, it's a real shame for his teammates. Bailing out on them at this time of the year is a real shaft job. No room for the coaches to recruit. This rumor was around in April, and if he had privately spoken with the coaches then, they may have been able to get another goalie. I give Coach Thiel credit for approving the release. He could have kept Rastivo out another year.

If it is not the right fit, it's not the right fit.
I've followed this thread over the past year and have a pretty good feel for how frustrated the Lions fans have become. The back-biting, second guessing and down rite calling for the head of the Coach has not been pretty to watch and this, from adults. You expect more from kids?
Coaches, AD's and Administrations all treat this like a business and it's not "fair" to anyone. In light of the whole Tierney change and the off season Coaching carousel, what do you all expect? How about the Drexel players and recruits? If Vanarsdale was offered a plumb head coaching job at a prominent D1 school, you don't think he would jump?
Let's not get all sanctimonious here.
I'm sure this was a very difficult decision for the young boy and tough on both the player and his (ex) teammates.
We all seem to give Coaches a pass when they change their mind and look to greener pastures so let's get some perspective and afford the same understanding to an 18 year old.

I understand and agree with your 1st message - if the kid wants out, then he should feel free to go. Obviously he does, and he is.
Regarding what I think is your second message - that the Penn State lacrosse climate is pessimistic. Two questions come to mind;
Why?
And how does it change?

My thoughts:
Why? - The program is stagnant. Not blaming anyone, just my honest assessment. I don't like calling for the replacement of a coach who runs a clean, respectable program, but the last time I checked, coaches at the D1 college level in all sports are replaced when they've hit a wall. We keep score, count wins and losses, have playoffs and crown a champion, because we care about winning. Some programs care about winning to the point that competing for a championship is a priority. I am not suggesting that Penn State players or coaches don't have that goal in mind, but I am suggesting that it may actually occur with some new leadership. High school, college and pro teams bring in "fresh blood" with a new focus and new vision all the time. It doesn't make them bad or mean people, it means they understand human nature and that sometimes...CHANGE is necessary. Isn't that what 51% of you clowns all have as bumper stickers on the back of your cars now :o "oh no he didn't"

Regarding question 2; How does it change? I think you know my answer.
laxjunkie2

New postby nassaufan on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 am

Trinity wrote:Last I heard, Steven is going to school on LI this fall.

What school is Rastivo going to attend?
nassaufan

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I