UAlbany 2010

UAlbany 2010

New postby uofalbany on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:14 pm

With Corey Small and Chris Schongar off to major league lacrosse,
how are the Great Danes looking for next season?
America East Tournament Championships - 2013, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003 - NCAAs
AE Tournament Championship Finalists - 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002
uofalbany

Re: UAlbany 2010

New postby uofalbany on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Fuller, Will - Garden City NY - Attack
Winterfeldt, Brian - Calhoun NY - Defense
Ostrander, Anthony - Farmingdale NY - Defense

How did these guys look in high school?

We had a ton of freshman and sophmores this past year,
and alot of those guys showed signs of brilliance.
America East Tournament Championships - 2013, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003 - NCAAs
AE Tournament Championship Finalists - 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002
uofalbany

New postby on the run on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

its gonna be all about caufield, resatris, and brock next year. barring injury they should be loaded on offense.. defense/goalie still pose a problem
on the run

New postby lax observer on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Hey all Albany Alum and fans lets give coach Marr a hand for trying to finish what he started in Albany and not giving up on the program for a more established program like Princeton. He made the Albany program what it is today..
Great news today for the great danes and with a decision like that he must feel that he has the right pieces in place to make another run in the near future.
lax observer

New postby best in show on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:41 am

Big day for Albany lacrosse yesterday. I'm certainly glad that situation is over with!

As for this upcoming season, you can add the following 2 names to the incoming freshman class.

Andy Fish- 2x all state defender from Oregon. He was also a D1 football recruit.

http://www.westsidelax.com/Lincoln-Senior-Andrew-Fish-Signs-With-the-University-of-Albany

Kevin Glueckert (Bethpage)- 2x All county, All long Island Running Back in Football. 2x All County in Lax.

http://www.bethpageathletics.com/news.php?newsid=23

As for the comment above, I would think that Pompo or the freshman Fuller would take the 3rd attack spot as they are both lefties. We'll see.

Go Danes!
You are the bouncers. I AM THE COOLER.
best in show

New postby laxking on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 am

With so much up in the air for the Danes next season I'm surprised to see that almost every d1 team has a more active forum this summer. Has everyone taken the summer of from talking lacrosse? Personally I am both excite and nervous to see what this years danes do. Anyone with incite as to how things will shake out
laxking

New postby DakotaDan on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Albany Lacrosse Has 11 Recruits Make Commitents for 2010

Albany, N.Y. -- University at Albany men's lacrosse coach Scott Marr announced today that 11 student-athletes have made commitments to play for the Great Danes in the 2009-2010 academic year.

"Athleticism, speed and toughness describe the qualities of this group," offers Marr, a former USILA national coach of the year who has an 80-58 career record in nine seasons with the UAlbany program. "We did well in Long Island and brought in two Canadians who are mature with a certain level of playing experience. In addition, we were able to expand our recruiting to the states of Florida and Oregon which is an example of the growth of the game."

The Great Danes picked up their first student-athletes from the states of Oregon and Florida. Portland native Andy Fish was twice named to the Oregon High School Lacrosse Association (OHSLA) all-state first team. A two-time All-6A Columbia League selection, Fish led his team to the 2009 state championship final and a 19-5 record. Ben Young was selected to the Miami Herald All-Broward County first team and South Florida Sun-Sentinel Coaches' All-District 11 squad. The midfielder was chosen second-team all-county as a junior.

Long Island is well represented in the incoming class. Jack Nickla, a 6-foot-2 midifielder from Bellport High, earned All-Nassau County and All-Section XI honors after totaling 45 goals and 19 assists as a senior. He was named to the Class AA all-state football team as a quarterback and kicker. Kevin Glueckert, a two-time all-county midfielder at Bethpage High, had 40 goals and 15 assists last year. As a football standout, he was chosen to the Class A all-state third team and All-Long Island first team as a linebacker and running back. The two-sport star set the single-season rushing record and made 123 tackles. Glueckert's high school teammate, James Haugen, earned all-county recognition while scoring 22 goals and 19 assists from his midfield position.

UAlbany received three more commitments from All-Nassau County standouts. Will Fuller, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound midfielder, led Garden City High to a 17-4 record as the state's fifth-ranked Class B team. Fuller scored 38 goals and 24 assists for the Trojans, who reached the Long Island championship game. Defenseman Anthony Ostrander led Farmingdale High to a top-20 ranking in the state's Class A poll and a 13-5 overall mark. Ostrander, who had six goals and two assists, helped the Dalers capture the county championship as a junior. Brian Winterfeldt, a defenseman from Calhoun H.S., joined Ostrander as a member of the gold-medal winning Long Island scholastic squad at the 2008 Empire State Games. Winterfeldt also played fullback, linebacker and safety for the Colts' football program.

Mike Woods, a 6-foot-2 midfielder who played at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire last year, received first-team All-Northern New England Lacrosse League (NNELL) last year. A native of Newmarket, Ontario, Woods accounted for 24 goals and 21 assists for a program that posted a 14-1 record and was ranked No. 24 nationally. Matt Mackenzie, a left-handed midfielder from Edmonton, Alberta, was coached by Major League Lacrosse all-star Brodie Merrill at The Hill Academy in Ontario. He also played for the Edmonton Miners Junior A in the Rocky Mountain Lacrosse League. Colin Beavers-Anderson played both lacrosse (midfielder) and football (wide receiver) for Lawrence High in Central New Jersey. He accounted for a season-best eight points (5 goals, 3 assists) versus New Egypt and had seven points (3 goals, 4 assists) against Robbinsville.

UAlbany returns 23 letterwinners, including seven starters, from last year's squad. The Great Danes have won four America East Conference tournament championships made four NCAA appearances as a Division I program.

2010 University at Albany Men's Lacrosse Commitments

Name                       Pos.    Hometown (High School)
Colin Beavers-Anderson Mid. Lawrenceville, N.J. (Lawrence)
Andy Fish Def. Portland, Ore. (Lincoln Senior)
Will Fuller Mid. Garden City, N.Y. (Garden City)
Kevin Glueckert Mid. Bethpage, N.Y. (Bethpage)
James Haugen Mid. Bethpage, N.Y. (Bethpage)
Matt Mackenzie Mid. Spruce Grove, Alberta (The Hill Academy)
Jack Nickla Mid. Brookhaven, N.Y. (Bellport)
Anthony Ostrander Def. North Massapequa, N.Y. (Farmingdale)
Brian Winterfeldt Mid. Merrick, N.Y. (Calhoun)
Mike Woods Mid. Newmarket, Ontario (Brewster Academy)
Ben Young Mid. Coral Springs, Fla. (St. Thomas Aquinas)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby sore+old on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 pm

WOW!!! This sounds like a strong class!!! With all the big pieces coming back, this team could really be a force this year. I wish we at SB could get a few more of these home town studs.
Going to be a Grandpa!
sore+old

New postby Trapper on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:30 am

No HS AA's from NY State? Last year Marr signed 4, what gives?

A state school with state tuition and no HS AA's, disappointing.
Trapper

New postby tclaxer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:12 am

Anyone know anything about Mackenzie from Hill Academy. I know the school and they have a great lacrosse program, but they don't play in a league and don't have any stats posted. Obviously if he played at Hill and Marr recruited him-he's good, but was Mackenzie a top scorer or feeder or d-mid stud, fo/go etc...? I can get the jr a stats, but wondered what his field game was like.

Stony Brook, Bryant, JHU and Hofstra have Hill Academy recruits as well and I can't find info on them either.
thank God I'm only watching the game -- controlling it --
tclaxer

New postby laxpanther on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:29 am

Trapper wrote:No HS AA's from NY State? Last year Marr signed 4, what gives?

A state school with state tuition and no HS AA's, disappointing.

These kids were juniors this year, 6 from LI, tough to make AA as a junior on the island. I'm sure the 4 AA's from last incoming class were not all AA's as Juniors. Some of these guys may be AA's this year. I like what I see as far as size and athletic ability from this 2010 incoming class, many Football standouts with good size, all seemed to put up real strong
numbers. Generally speaking, I'll take strong kids from LI hotbeds before HS All-Americans from other parts any day. I believe this will be a real strong class loaded with athletic middies, an area that definitely must be improved.
laxpanther

New postby sore+old on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:48 am

From what I can see, the only D-1 state school bringing in NYS AAs is Binghamton with H.S. AA attackman (Doherty, Yorktown Hts.) and a JUCO AA goalie (Sallazo, Yorktown Hts./ Herk. CC ). SB has not announced their class yet.
Going to be a Grandpa!
sore+old

New postby Great Dane on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:53 am

I believe all of these incoming recruits listed were HS seniors starting at UAlbany this coming fall. BTW, not sure about the other recruits but Glueckert, Ostrander and Winterfeldt were all nominated for HS AA in Nassau County on LI. Not AA's but considered, in a very competitive hot bed of lacrosse.
Great Dane

New postby laxerdude on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:41 pm

Honestly with how UAlbany has been steadily improving this does seem like a lesser class. I know that the only SUNY school with an AA coimng in is Bing, but recently I have kind of expected more out of UA. With non- state schools like Marist picking up NY AA I would fully expect them to be able to do the same (with out getting in an arguement about what areas these AA and how good each area is and difficulty of becoming an AA.) I also do not fully understand how scholarships work at state schools with some getting in state tuition and some not, but i have seen a trend at both SB and UA with out of state recruits. thsi to me does seem like the smartest use of athletic money. I will admit i have never seen the Fish, Young or Beavers-Anderson kids play but could that not have been found in their own back yard for assumabley cheaper. Half the class is from out of state and no in state AA. McKenzie from the Hill is a big strong athlete and a lefty I think. Truth he may be best suited for the above mentions L attack spot, he is a bigger stronger Thomson, with possibley a slight lesser stick. Also why two Canadian M? Other than Crowley currently and then going back a bit AJ Shannon can anyone name a Canadian M that has done much? I know that they dont need an attackmen and like I said one maybe both Canadians may get bumped or have the ability to get bumped down the road, but no incoming goalie (which wasnt a strong point) and only two D the rest all M. A weird class if you ask me.
laxerdude

New postby tclaxer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:41 pm

laxerdude wrote:Honestly with how UAlbany has been steadily improving this does seem like a lesser class. I know that the only SUNY school with an AA coimng in is Bing, but recently I have kind of expected more out of UA. With non- state schools like Marist picking up NY AA I would fully expect them to be able to do the same (with out getting in an arguement about what areas these AA and how good each area is and difficulty of becoming an AA.) I also do not fully understand how scholarships work at state schools with some getting in state tuition and some not, but i have seen a trend at both SB and UA with out of state recruits. thsi to me does seem like the smartest use of athletic money. I will admit i have never seen the Fish, Young or Beavers-Anderson kids play but could that not have been found in their own back yard for assumabley cheaper. Half the class is from out of state and no in state AA. McKenzie from the Hill is a big strong athlete and a lefty I think. Truth he may be best suited for the above mentions L attack spot, he is a bigger stronger Thomson, with possibley a slight lesser stick. Also why two Canadian M? Other than Crowley currently and then going back a bit AJ Shannon can anyone name a Canadian M that has done much? I know that they dont need an attackmen and like I said one maybe both Canadians may get bumped or have the ability to get bumped down the road, but no incoming goalie (which wasnt a strong point) and only two D the rest all M. A weird class if you ask me.

Rob Campbell is another Canadian middie at Stony Brook and he had 21 goals and 12 assists as a fr. I think that's very legit for Fr on a top 20 (final rankings) team with a decent strength of schedule.

As for Mackenzie- I find it hard to beleive he is anywhere near as talented offensively as Thomson. I checked his Jr A box lacrosse stats and he only had 9 points in 11 games (6g) and in a weak league to boot. Again I'm sure he's a good athelete and a good player, but a bigger stronger Thomson? Could he be a Dmiddie or fo/go guy?
thank God I'm only watching the game -- controlling it --
tclaxer

New postby lax observer on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:11 pm

One thing to remember is that marr has made a living finding these players that are not regarded highly and then they get to school and become aa. Thomson, resitarits, levine, small and daquino were all players that were overlooked that marr was on top of and look what they did for the program. I feel this is a solid class and only time will tell but judging from marr's track record I'm pretty confident he knows what he's doing
lax observer

New postby Trapper on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:30 pm

The players mentioned in the press release all have GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL and will be freshman this year at UA.

I know kids want to sometimes leave an area there from but how does Marr not get any HS AA's that come out of Niskayuna? Additionally, why no kids from Yorktown? He is an alumnus of Yorktown and his brother is the coach!

Marr has done a great job there at UA , but with Siena now up to 8 scholly's I think Brecht has closed the gap, recruiting shows it.
Trapper

New postby Paesan33 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm

lax observer wrote:One thing to remember is that marr has made a living finding these players that are not regarded highly and then they get to school and become aa. Thomson, resitarits, levine, small and daquino were all players that were overlooked that marr was on top of and look what they did for the program. I feel this is a solid class and only time will tell but judging from marr's track record I'm pretty confident he knows what he's doing

i think thats exactly right- and now Marr has worked his way up to the point where he CAN pull in high profile guys like Caufield, Bonatatitus, etc. So what if you dont recognize all the names; it doesnt always translate to the best team. My guess is the UA will be just fine. In fact, prediction- these kids will probably pull in an AE title or two over the next four years.

with that said, yes, theres a bit less shine on this class than in the past. but that doesnt mean they aint good just because they arent talked about on IL. lets not forget just two years ago Marr took 40 SUNY student athletes a few seconds away from a F4 appearance.
money for nothing / chicks for free
Paesan33

New postby laxerdude on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:19 pm

I do not believe that is true. Yes big names dont always translate, but when you look at who is bringing in the big names they are the ones winning champs. Take PU they have a couple down years bring in top classes with Mcbrides class then Firolitos and they are quickly back to prominence. Of course the bad example is GU, but all in all the top classes win. So if he can bring in the big names why isnt he. With harvard and UNC having top classes coming up we will have to wait to see what happens to them...

and tclax

I do agree that robbie had a great yr and put up huge numbers for a fr M, but i do think that has to do with being at SB. The lack of M depth had him on the field a lot, yes he did his job while out there, but he does not sniff the field at M at a top 10 team fr yr.

as well I never once said McKenzie was the second coimng. I do think he is both bigger and stronger than Merrick esp as a Fr,but that by know way measn he will be better or make him a better player and I even made a point of saying his stick is not as good. I guess my post does lead you in that direction and I did not mean it in that way. as for box players it is not their point production that is the best translator it is their athletacism. I believe he plays both ways in box and this leads to a much lower pt total. If he does become a d middie or a fogo that is a huge waste of $ then beause those can litterally be found in UA's back yard.
laxerdude

New postby Paesan33 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:37 pm

laxerdude wrote:I do not believe that is true. Yes big names dont always translate, but when you look at who is bringing in the big names they are the ones winning champs. Take PU they have a couple down years bring in top classes with Mcbrides class then Firolitos and they are quickly back to prominence. Of course the bad example is GU, but all in all the top classes win. So if he can bring in the big names why isnt he. With harvard and UNC having top classes coming up we will have to wait to see what happens to them...

fair enough- agreed there. 8-)
money for nothing / chicks for free
Paesan33

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I