Stony Brook 2010

Stony Brook 2010

New postby tclaxer on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

I know SB only graduates 2 seniors (long pole and d-middie), but aside from the goalie from MIddle Country (laxpower recruit page), who else has been signed?

I'd love to see a JUCO transfer at long pole or offensive middie who can be an immediate starter. Besides that the Brook can build depth across the board.

Surprisingly, Adam Rand was the #1 fogo in the country. He went under the radar even though he played against some good teams, so we are set in that spot.

The dynamic Canucks, Crowley and McBride, return along with freshman 'Nuck Robbie Campbell who contributed 21 goals and 12 assists. Hauppauge product Compitello (3rd on team with 38 points) will be a senior.

Parr is back in the cage and poles Waldeck (McArthur HS), Gignilliat, Sopko return. So the d will be very experienced and tested. That being said if the Seawolves want to start knocking off top 10 teams they need to bring in an instant potential all conference level player on D.

I would argue the coaching staff are in an enviable position of being able to really focus all their recruiting energy on only one or two key position upgrades. Course I have no idea what their scholarship situation is.

Go Brook!
thank God I'm only watching the game -- controlling it --
tclaxer

Re: Stony Brook 2010

New postby Paesan33 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:19 am

tclaxer wrote:I know SB only graduates 2 seniors (long pole and d-middie), but aside from the goalie from MIddle Country (laxpower recruit page), who else has been signed?

I'd love to see a JUCO transfer at long pole or offensive middie who can be an immediate starter. Besides that the Brook can build depth across the board.

Surprisingly, Adam Rand was the #1 fogo in the country. He went under the radar even though he played against some good teams, so we are set in that spot.

The dynamic Canucks, Crowley and McBride, return along with freshman 'Nuck Robbie Campbell who contributed 21 goals and 12 assists. Hauppauge product Compitello (3rd on team with 38 points) will be a senior.

Parr is back in the cage and poles Waldeck (McArthur HS), Gignilliat, Sopko return. So the d will be very experienced and tested. That being said if the Seawolves want to start knocking off top 10 teams they need to bring in an instant potential all conference level player on D.

I would argue the coaching staff are in an enviable position of being able to really focus all their recruiting energy on only one or two key position upgrades. Course I have no idea what their scholarship situation is.

Go Brook!

i believe the class is almost complete, with some new canucks, a few transfers, and your perennial long island core. i think sowell likes to announce them all at once. there's some rules (i cant cite exactly) about releasing info on recruits and whatnot during signing periods.

btw newsday article on SB and Hof sports:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-spcoll0812847763jun07,0,5666026.story

i think theyve got enough firepower on midfield- but you may get your wish- heard that coach is working on some man-child recruits from Suffolk CCC to come on board.

i think what they need are the young defensemen (reinert, gibson, kaufman, greene, mizvesky) to STEP UP. I think only reinert got some solid time this year and mizvesky/kaufman made an appearance or two. Miceli seems very comfortable as a backup pole and should assume the role after Waldeck/Sopko graduate.
There's 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Paesan33

New postby coachmpc on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Heard they are brining in a topflight midfielder that should solidify the 2nd line and allow the first line to be rested so they are fresh for the end of the game. Offensively they have everyone back on the midfield and attack ( Compitello will be a redshirt JR.) for the next two years and should be solid. I believe if they can figure out the defense the should challenge for the AE title.
coachmpc

New postby artful dodger on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Call me a pollyanna, but I think they will not only win the AE, but also rank in the top 10-15. This team will be overlooked by the Maryland-centric crowd. It's a good thing that Hofstra bailed this year. It might have been embarrassing.
There is no life after lacrosse.
artful dodger

New postby Paesan33 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:39 pm

artful dodger wrote:Call me a pollyanna, but I think they will not only win the AE, but also rank in the top 10-15. This team will be overlooked by the Maryland-centric crowd. It's a good thing that Hofstra bailed this year. It might have been embarrassing.

Pollyanna,

I wonder why you think they need a ready-mix midfielder- look at this second line- likely Scott, Hewitt, Russell, and then youve still got guys like Adams that can play (or even go back on attack- and then Belton has shown up at middie). Then youve got some other rising sophs that id like to see them get out there- Kyle Smith, Shane Ferguson- and can we get Laverne to shoot the ball!!!

I like Hewitt a lot- a big hefty middie that plays lefty and with confidence. He also shoots outside and found a comfortable home on man-up as a freshman. Id like to see more touches from him up top and Russell isolating. He clearly wants to- and has the talent- but may havent shown the confidence yet to drive to the hoop.
Paesan33

New postby coachmpc on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Rumor has it that Russel is not coming back, transfering to DU
coachmpc

New postby Paesan33 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 pm

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=36626

looks like a few JUCO middies are at least on the radar for SB-

Ronnie Irving (Northshore HS/NCCC)
Craig Blom (Comsewogue HS/SCCC)
Patrick Hayes (Eastport South Manor HS/SCCC)

This is if you trust the linked thread. Not sure if any are solidified yet. Both Irving and Hayes were named to the All America team.

Blom may be listed as an attacker- 36,23 last year. Hayes put up 26,11 from midfield. Was Irving hurt last year? Seems like he only played in 5 games, but that doesnt make much sense if he ended up on the First Team.
Paesan33

New postby DD-Tech on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 pm

coachmpc wrote:Rumor has it that Russel is not coming back, transfering to DU

If true Tierney just got himself a great athlete. I was looking forward to seeing him play out his years at SBU.
DD-Tech
"Go Seawolves!"
DD-Tech

Location: Out in the parking lot having a pre-game toast to Artful Dodger.

New postby artful dodger on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:22 am

Paesan33 wrote:
artful dodger wrote:Call me a pollyanna, but I think they will not only win the AE, but also rank in the top 10-15. This team will be overlooked by the Maryland-centric crowd. It's a good thing that Hofstra bailed this year. It might have been embarrassing.

Pollyanna,

I wonder why you think they need a ready-mix midfielder- look at this second line- likely Scott, Hewitt, Russell, and then youve still got guys like Adams that can play (or even go back on attack- and then Belton has shown up at middie). Then youve got some other rising sophs that id like to see them get out there- Kyle Smith, Shane Ferguson- and can we get Laverne to shoot the ball!!!

I like Hewitt a lot- a big hefty middie that plays lefty and with confidence. He also shoots outside and found a comfortable home on man-up as a freshman. Id like to see more touches from him up top and Russell isolating. He clearly wants to- and has the talent- but may havent shown the confidence yet to drive to the hoop.

????????????? What are you talking about? :?
artful dodger

New postby laxrat119 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:19 pm

"i think what they need are the young defensemen (reinert, gibson, kaufman, greene, mizvesky) to STEP UP. I think only reinert got some solid time this year and mizvesky/kaufman made an appearance or two. Miceli seems very comfortable as a backup pole and should assume the role after Waldeck/Sopko graduate.[/quote]"

I am pretty sure Mizvesky was injured this year? As was Kaufman? but its evident someone needs to step up on that end of the feild...
laxrat119

New postby laxfan42 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:34 pm

I am wondering how many games some of you saw:
Sopko played close D 98% of the time when he played and Miccelli (spelling) was the back-up to Waldeck - I do not recall seeing Sopko on the face-off except once or twice

Reinhart started a couple of games for Matturo (spelling) - did not understand the entire situation there but he needs to work on off-ball

Gignilliet was an all-league as a freshman and all-rookie team and the last two seasons he has played, was an all-tournament team player in the AE - I do not understand how a D-man can be all tourney yet not all league

Paar had some great saves and great games but when he gets frustrated he looses it. Composa stepped up big after Paar got hurt. If not for Camposa SBU would not have beaten Albany in the first round to make it to the AE finals - the kid played great - he kept them in the game at UMBC when the offense did not show up until the 4th quarter which was waaaaay toooo late by then. The big Canadian guns were meek and mild at that game to say the least - not even sure if McBride had a goal. Had SBU offense played the way they played against Albany in the final game of the season, SBU goes to the tourney and UMBC goes home that simple

Many issues on D this year were created by turn-overs, turn-overs, and yes turn-overs - in some games Virginia being the best example the ball was on the d-side of SBU for 70 to 80% of the game - no one wins games that way

Finally, many goals this year were scored in transition which if SBU wants to be a top 10 team they need to figure that out quick - transition hurt many times over

Agreed that SBU needs another pole or two but to say that they are weakness of the team is pretty lame if you watched them play
laxfan42

New postby tclaxer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:32 pm

laxfan42 wrote:Many issues on D this year were created by turn-overs, turn-overs, and yes turn-overs - in some games Virginia being the best example the ball was on the d-side of SBU for 70 to 80% of the game - no one wins games that way

I agree with with you on that point which is why I want a top flight offensive middie as well as D. Every game I watched last year the opposing team showed no respect for our middies and agressively attacked them as soon as they crossed midfield (this didn't happen the year before because SB had not only Crowley, but Duch, Hughes and Owen to throw out there). I can't count how many turnovers happened because of this pressure on our middies before we were even able to set up on O. Not that our current middies are bad-their not-but they aren't intimidating (in an scoring threat kind of way) either. The group we have will only get better next year and that's promising. However, adding another middie with 20-25+ goal scoring potential can only help. :drool:

Keep in mind-we had no middies aside from Crowley, Trenkle and Campbell who scored more than 5 goals last year. :think:
tclaxer

New postby sore+old on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm

tclaxer wrote:
laxfan42 wrote:Many issues on D this year were created by turn-overs, turn-overs, and yes turn-overs - in some games Virginia being the best example the ball was on the d-side of SBU for 70 to 80% of the game - no one wins games that way

I agree with with you on that point which is why I want a top flight offensive middie as well as D. Every game I watched last year the opposing team showed no respect for our middies and agressively attacked them as soon as they crossed midfield (this didn't happen the year before because SB had not only Crowley, but Duch, Hughes and Owen to throw out there). I can't count how many turnovers happened because of this pressure on our middies before we were even able to set up on O. Not that our current middies are bad-their not-but they aren't intimidating (in an scoring threat kind of way) either. The group we have will only get better next year and that's promising. However, adding another middie with 20-25+ goal scoring potential can only help. :drool:

Keep in mind-we had no middies aside from Crowley, Trenkle and Campbell who scored more than 5 goals last year. :think:

There were really only 3 legit ball carriers: Trenkle, Crowley, and Compitello. Everytime it left their stick it was an adventure.
So, I guess you never ran into a bus driver before?!
sore+old

New postby coachmpc on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:04 am

Dropped for SBU schedule Hofstra, Lehigh and Harvard. Looks like they have added Towson, St. Johns and Cornell. Also heard they were adding Bryant which would make a 14 game schedule.
coachmpc

New postby MCNPA on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:08 am

coachmpc wrote:Dropped for SBU schedule Hofstra, Lehigh and Harvard. Looks like they have added Towson, St. Johns and Cornell. Also heard they were adding Bryant which would make a 14 game schedule.

Love it!
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby tclaxer on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:15 am

MCNPA wrote:
coachmpc wrote:Dropped for SBU schedule Hofstra, Lehigh and Harvard. Looks like they have added Towson, St. Johns and Cornell. Also heard they were adding Bryant which would make a 14 game schedule.

Love it!

If true, I'm glad we added St. Johns and Cornell. Good to have another local team to play (more fans and less travel=good). Towson-to me-is like Del, Loyola, Penn State. A good top 10-30 team year in and year out. Rather add those types of teams than VMI or Wagner (no offense to either school).

One of the first ever live D1 games I ever saw was Towson vs Maryland at Towson many many years ago (1988 to be exact), so I have some sentimental favoritism for the Tigers.

Any news on what the team is doing for fall ball?

Go Brook!
tclaxer

New postby Paesan33 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:06 pm

laxrat119 wrote:"i think what they need are the young defensemen (reinert, gibson, kaufman, greene, mizvesky) to STEP UP. I think only reinert got some solid time this year and mizvesky/kaufman made an appearance or two. Miceli seems very comfortable as a backup pole and should assume the role after Waldeck/Sopko graduate.
"

I am pretty sure Mizvesky was injured this year? As was Kaufman? but its evident someone needs to step up on that end of the feild...[/quote]

Yes i heard he had a bum knee or something- but i did see him out there- maybe it was fallball maybe season i dont remember. Kaufman i thought i saw out there once as well- cant be sure (vision isnt so good!).

And yes- Russell would be a tough loss- def a great athlete with speed, and apparently, a nice on the run crank. 8)
Paesan33

New postby Paesan33 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:14 pm

tclaxer wrote:
MCNPA wrote:

Love it!

If true, I'm glad we added St. Johns and Cornell. Good to have another local team to play (more fans and less travel=good). Towson-to me-is like Del, Loyola, Penn State. A good top 10-30 team year in and year out. Rather add those types of teams than VMI or Wagner (no offense to either school).

One of the first ever live D1 games I ever saw was Towson vs Maryland at Towson many many years ago (1988 to be exact), so I have some sentimental favoritism for the Tigers.

Any news on what the team is doing for fall ball?

Go Brook!

no idea yet on fall ball as its too far away... unfortunately.

Every year everyone likes to push the panic button- this kid left, this kid failed out, this kid is hurt, etc. Yet SB had a mass migration, started a whole lot of underclassmen and yet had their best (arguable?) year since 2002/2005. And they finished a solid #20 with two wins over UA. Theyll be just fine.

WIth that said- yes, McBride was completely shut out of the AE championship by UMBC (i think Goedeke was on him? or was it settembrino). At least during the regular season he put up 2G. Well deserved HMAA honor, though, and i wish Waldeck or Crowley would have been recognized.
Paesan33

New postby sore+old on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:37 pm

IMHO, as important as any other factor this year in SB success was the transformation of Compitello from freight train scorer as was his HS reputation to a very skilled distributor and passer. He was able to help the Canadian kids who, other than Crowley, needed some one to get them the ball where they can be most effective and pick up a few very important goals along the way himself. He, Paar,and Campbell also bring a toughness to the team that doesn't show up in the stats.
So, I guess you never ran into a bus driver before?!
sore+old

New postby artful dodger on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:41 pm

sore+old wrote:IMHO, as important as any other factor this year in SB success was the transformation of Compitello from freight train scorer as was his HS reputation to a very skilled distributor and passer. He was able to help the Canadian kids who, other than Crowley, needed some one to get them the ball where they can be most effective and pick up a few very important goals along the way himself. He, Paar,and Campbell also bring a toughness to the team that doesn't show up in the stats.

Excellent points for a zebra!
artful dodger

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I