Navy 2010

Navy 2010

New postby D1laxdad on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:15 am

Any thoughts or concerns about the coaching changes that have been happening lately (with more to come) and the potential impact to Navy?

Meade was reported to have been under consideration for UNC's opening last year, Ross was listed as a contender for the recent Denver opening, and Moran left last year for MD. Does that have some folks scratching their heads? I'm not even including Tillman's move to Harvard since I doubt that there's a single person that would question his loyalty to the Mids.

Still you have to wonder, will Ross be looking for the next patch of green grass when he's supposed to be focusing on bettering Navy's team? :confusion-shrug:
Could Coach M be persuaded to take on Pton or any other top D1 program? I guess 'Gate has the same issue with wondering what Nagle will be/is doing.

There is no doubt....you need strong, committed leadership at the top to have a great program!
D1laxdad

Re: Navy 2010

New postby paradise on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 am

If my understanding of the UNC hiring process involving Coach Meade is correct, he withdrew his name from consideration for the job and assisted the UNC athletic department in the hiring process. Coach Meade is also a hand to hand combat teacher at the Naval Academy, and I do not see him leaving the Navy sidelines for another program. He's thoroughly devoted to Annapolis, not only the lacrosse program but the entire school.
paradise

New postby randyrad on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I don't think anyone thought Stan Ross coming to Navy as an Asst would eliminate him from consideration for future HC job openings - just the opposite. It's just a matter of time.
A lateral move of a Jr Asst to his alma mater is not a big deal either.
Navy asst positions are obviously highly regarded stepping stones, with no shortage of outstanding applicants.
Consecutive losses of the top asst to HC jobs is a positive indicator. ...it's just slightly disruptive.
randyrad

New postby LadyLaker on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:49 am

Agree totally with RR.

Stan's desire to pursue an HC position in no way demonstrates a lack of devotion to the Navy program. He made a quite a name for himself as an HC before the rug was pulled out from his program. No one can fault Moran or Meade from pursuing opps at their alma maters. I don't think any of these actions constitute a lack of commitment to Navy Lacrosse.

It is interesting, though, to sit on the devoted fan side of a team fence -- fans are so devoted they can imagine a coach going anywhere else. In the end, it's a job. Coaches give their top effort to maximize outcome, but it is just a job that has to fit the coach's and, in many cases, his family's life goals.

I'd like to hear from some of the more informed just who is coming in and how the Mids will look. Plus anyone have the Fall Ball schedule yet?

LL
Being "Over the Hill" is much better than being under it!
LadyLaker

New postby OCanada on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:50 am

LL has it pretty much right in my view.

Coaching is a profession and financial considerations are an important part of it.

Coaches change jobs especially assistant coaches who want to become head coaches. I want an assistant coach who has ambition and drive. That does not always mean a HC job is the goal but for many it is.

Seth Tierney was approached for many jobs before he considered the Hofstra job as a good fit for him. Tillman as well. Same for Army's coach. Their teams did pretty well while all that was going on.
John Paul Petrovick December 13, 1983 - April 28, 2012. The last of three news stories over the last 3.5 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsCStqsV9UA
OCanada

New postby CALL THE BALL on Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:01 pm

It would be interesting to see if any recent alums will enter coaching after their Navy/Marine careers come to and end. Any thoughts on who might follow Army's Walker when they can.
CALL THE BALL

New postby randyrad on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 pm

CALL THE BALL wrote:It would be interesting to see if any recent alums will enter coaching after their Navy/Marine careers come to and end. Any thoughts on who might follow Army's Walker when they can.

http://www.gocrimson.com/ViewArticle.db ... ID=1569658
randyrad

New postby CALL THE BALL on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks, I should have seen that.
CALL THE BALL

Camp Chatter

New postby LadyLaker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 am

With Navy in the midst of its summer camps, I am wondering if you Navy lax guys are hearing any chatter for the 2010 season?

C'mon. Dish!

LL
LadyLaker

Re: Camp Chatter

New postby mystic lax on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 am

LadyLaker wrote:With Navy in the midst of its summer camps, I am wondering if you Navy lax guys are hearing any chatter for the 2010 season?

C'mon. Dish!

LL

you're best bet is to head to Pusser's if you want to hear something. My bet is they are there between or after sessions relaxing and enjoying the sights.
mystic lax

New postby Oracle on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Navy boys head back to school next week so I guess we'll hear some rumblings about things soon enough. :)
Oracle

New postby PNLax on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Anyone else heard Navy hosting fall ball tourney Oct. 10th?
PNLax

Re: Camp Chatter

New postby Tecumseh on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:36 pm

mystic lax wrote:
LadyLaker wrote:With Navy in the midst of its summer camps, I am wondering if you Navy lax guys are hearing any chatter for the 2010 season?

C'mon. Dish!

LL

you're best bet is to head to Pusser's if you want to hear something. My bet is they are there between or after sessions relaxing and enjoying the sights.

McGarvey's at the back bar to get all the answers . Great news for NAPS that former AA and 2006 Co-Captain Jon Birsner will be joining the faculty and coaching the Men's Lax team when he returns from his IA in Iraq this fall.

In coming plebes are "loaded" and several will make a very serious impact to the starting roster , of that I'm certain. Maybe the strongest class since the plebe group that came in 2003. The upper class-men will need to bring their "A" game to fall ball if they don't want to be riding the pine this spring.

May be the best run camps in the country for learning skills.

All is fine in NAPSTOWN

V/R

"T"
"We are determined to defend our lands and, if it be the "Great Spirits" will, we wish to leave our bones upon them."
Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief 1813
Tecumseh

Re: incoming class

New postby my2¢ on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Tecumseh wrote:
In coming plebes are "loaded" and several will make a very serious impact to the starting roster , of that I'm certain. Maybe the strongest class since the plebe group that came in 2003. The upper class-men will need to bring their "A" game to fall ball if they don't want to be riding the pine this spring.

"T"

Sorry, but as having personally watched the NAPsters play against the Navy "JV" group this past spring, I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that "several will make a very serious impact to the starting roster". While I'll concede that there is some talent in the incoming class, I don't see them as being any stronger than any other other recent classes.

Just my opinion...based on how they performed this past spring against existing Navy players. Honestly, I really didn't see anyone that I'd consider a true standout.
my2¢

New postby jhuck-80 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 am

my2¢ wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:

"T"

Sorry, but as having personally watched the NAPsters play against the Navy "JV" group this past spring, I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that "several will make a very serious impact to the starting roster". While I'll concede that there is some talent in the incoming class, I don't see them as being any stronger than any other other recent classes.

Just my opinion...based on how they performed this past spring against existing Navy players. Honestly, I really didn't see anyone that I'd consider a true standout.
But how can we trust what two cents says? Those pennies are Canadian!!!
"They should play waterpolo on seahorses. It would make more sense."

whuck-14
jhuck-80

New postby randyrad on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:45 pm

jhuck-80 wrote:
my2¢ wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:

"T"

But how can we trust what two cents says? Those pennies are Canadian!!!

Navy JV is now NDS (Navy Developmental Squad), now comprised of reserves from the Varsity roster. Thus, for the NDS, there were several 3/c, some 2/c & nearly all the 4/c were former NAPSters. Big homefield psych advantage. The extra year(s) at USNA make a big difference, especially at that stage. I saw a lot of encouraging things from both sides on Rip Miller that day. Don't forget the direct entries & other Prepsters.
randyrad

All the details you need on Fall-ball @ USNA

New postby Tecumseh on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:22 pm

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-lacr ... -body.html

Thanks to SM , The finest SID in the land !

Landing Zone training is about a 3rd over. Lots of hungry hungry Plebes and Youngsters in search of Playing time.

"T"
"We are determined to defend our lands and, if it be the "Great Spirits" will, we wish to leave our bones upon them."
Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief 1813
Tecumseh

New postby LadyLaker on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 am

I like the idea of a Developmental Squad. Just like a JV, it gets these kids playing time and can only help the program in the long term.

Can't wait for October and some of these play days. T -- thanks for the link with the info.

In the spring, I would love to see a men's and women's lax double header at NMCS. Just throwing that out there to the NAAA people who profess not to read LaxPower, but all secretly do! :whistle: In the past 3 years, a bunch of the big lax schools have done at least one of these doubleheaders a season...

LL
LadyLaker

New postby laxxygilmore on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:11 pm

With serious intra-squad scrimmages underway now, is there any solid and relaible information available out there on how the team is actually looking so far? Any interesting position competitions going on? Comments from the coaches? Comments from the players?

Flash forward to 10/10/09...Navy 12 - Syracuse 9...Navy 15 - Penn St. 7. And then to 10/18...Navy 11 - Team USA Blue 9...Navy 9 - UVA 8. Sound good?
"I'm a hockey player, but I'm here to play lacrosse today."..."I think you should be working at the snack bar!"
laxxygilmore

New postby keeper73 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 am

Anyone had eyes on Cade Norris?? How is he doing?
Keeper73
keeper73

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I