Lehigh 2010

Lehigh 2010

New postby reg-dunlop7 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:47 am

The coaching staff is settling in . . . more recruits on the way . . . and some good ones I hear . . . what's on tap for the Brown & White in 2010?
reg-dunlop7

Re: Lehigh 2010

New postby lehighlax1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Gonna be good some solid recruits coming in from all over the country, Casesse just needs more of his own players that fit his style of coaching to come into the program. Once more of his recruiting classes fill the team we will see a vast improvement from the past few years
lehighlax1

New postby greenlax07 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:51 am

Sounds like a lot of the key contributers this spring will be frosh/sophs...tough to win in the patriot league with a young team like that...good for the future though.
greenlax07

New postby lehighlax1 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:33 pm

Exactly so we cant comment on how Cassese is doing until his recruiting classes completely yield onto the team. We must remember that this incoming class is more or less his first full recruiting class taking into consideration being able to recruit juniors. His first year he had to deal with what he had been given. Last year he was behind the ball as he only had the ability to do summer recruiting for the 2012 class. Now he has had the ability to recruit these incoming guys for 2 years so we will begin to see Lehigh lacrosse progress over the course of the next few years. Nobody can comment on how these coaches are doing for at least another 2 years. Lehigh will still have a strong team though, because Coach Cassese as well as his assistants Wray and Callahan are excellent and know what they're doing. Looking back at last year's 4-11 record does not indicate how that season went though. They had a very strong win over an Army team that was top 20 at the time, but they did also have somewhat weak losses to St. Joes and Lafayette which can somewhat compliment that win over Army. They did have many close 1 and 2 goal losses to some other strong teams who were mainly in the top 20 for the most of the season, Brown, Navy, Bryant, and Colgate. If we can see Lehigh maybe get back to .500 this year it will be a good season. It would be a plus to even finally get back in the Patriot league tourney. Lehigh is a team to be reckoned with in a few years if this is what this young coach staff is being able to do now. Watch out for the Mountain Hawks.
lehighlax1

New postby mystic lax on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54 am

lehighlax1 wrote:Exactly so we cant comment on how Cassese is doing until his recruiting classes completely yield onto the team. We must remember that this incoming class is more or less his first full recruiting class taking into consideration being able to recruit juniors. His first year he had to deal with what he had been given. Last year he was behind the ball as he only had the ability to do summer recruiting for the 2012 class. Now he has had the ability to recruit these incoming guys for 2 years so we will begin to see Lehigh lacrosse progress over the course of the next few years. Nobody can comment on how these coaches are doing for at least another 2 years. Lehigh will still have a strong team though, because Coach Cassese as well as his assistants Wray and Callahan are excellent and know what they're doing. Looking back at last year's 4-11 record does not indicate how that season went though. They had a very strong win over an Army team that was top 20 at the time, but they did also have somewhat weak losses to St. Joes and Lafayette which can somewhat compliment that win over Army. They did have many close 1 and 2 goal losses to some other strong teams who were mainly in the top 20 for the most of the season, Brown, Navy, Bryant, and Colgate. If we can see Lehigh maybe get back to .500 this year it will be a good season. It would be a plus to even finally get back in the Patriot league tourney. Lehigh is a team to be reckoned with in a few years if this is what this young coach staff is being able to do now. Watch out for the Mountain Hawks.

I have to agree, it is entirely unfair to judge a coach by the first season or two that he is at the helm. It takes a few years in order for his recruits to be on the team and have any kind of meaningful effect. This is the unfortunate reality of hiring a new or potentially unproven guy. However, within a year or two we will see what coach Cassese is made of.
mystic lax

Upperclassmen

New postby laxjunkie2 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:00 am

Anybody close to the program know if this never ending theme of "wait till Cassesse's recruits get here" is undermining the programs cohesion. Apparently if you read about Lehigh here, Chris Wakely only recruited inferior lacrosse players. If I were an upperclassman at Lehigh I would be more than tired of listening to this BS. What's worse is it is not just fans of the program, if you read some of the posts close enough, it's the inbound recruits themselves telling us all that as soon as they get there the program will be saved.
laxjunkie2

Re: Upperclassmen

New postby Lax1724 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:20 am

laxjunkie2 wrote:Anybody close to the program know if this never ending theme of "wait till Cassesse's recruits get here" is undermining the programs cohesion. Apparently if you read about Lehigh here, Chris Wakely only recruited inferior lacrosse players. If I were an upperclassman at Lehigh I would be more than tired of listening to this BS. What's worse is it is not just fans of the program, if you read some of the posts close enough, it's the inbound recruits themselves telling us all that as soon as they get there the program will be saved.

Your kidding yourself if you think that Cassesse is recruiting the same types of players that Wakely was. He has a national reputation that will get the attention of players that would not normally have looked at Lehigh. That is not a knock against Coach Wakely or any of his players that are still in the program. New coaches in any sport at any level need time to make their mark on a program. My money is on Cassese(s), Wray and Callahan to build a winning program because they do things the right way.
Lax1724

New postby laxspec on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:56 pm

I just checked out the recruiting section and was surprised at the number of new Lehigh recruits. It is something like 17 new freshman. Did Lehigh lose that many to graduation and attrition or is the team expanding its total roster? Cassesse is probably going to do just fine. However, it will be a challenge bringing that many frosh in this coming year, integrating them into the program and establishing cohesive playing experience. With that said, if he is successful with this class, he will have a big upside 2, 3, and 4 years down the road.
laxspec

New postby stillcreasebeast on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Lehigh lost 2 impact seniors. If the returning players stay healthy they should be improved. 1 first line middie was limited to 9 games another was injures most of the year but played anyway. LSM was out 5 games. We could use more stops from the net minders. There will be healthy competition to get on the field in 2010.

As far as 17 recruits goes - the recruits can input their own data in Laxpower. Which makes accuracy problematic. 11 of those names are legitimate and I would guess that the 2 that list themselves as walk-ons are legit as well.
stillcreasebeast

New postby lehighlax1 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:35 pm

A coach brings in players based off of his particular systems and coaching styles. Thus, the players from the Wakely era may be underminded in some senses as to their particular role in the program, but wait till Cassese gets the particular players that he wants to fit in certain roles within his team. Obviously Wakely was no schmuck in terms of recruiting, look at Cornetta and a Honeywell. Although there are some good players from the prior coaching era, I agree in the fact that Coach Cassese has a bigger name than Wakely and definitely will be attracting more higher end recruits. Some feel that we are bashing on Wakely and his recruiting, but it is rather we believe that once Cassese fills the team with what he wants then it will turnover into a stronger program. Take a team like Siena for example, this was the first year that their coach had a team full of his recruits, the senior class being 17 as well. They ended up winning the post-season conference championship as well as receiving a tournament bid, not bad. Lets just let Cassese do his thing and wait and see how he turns out as a head coach.
lehighlax1

New postby snowbart on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:22 am

If you're going to bring in classes that large, you better not have too many kids from name programs and press clippings. Hobart had a stretch with hughe classes earlier this decade and had a couple of at large bids and things looked really bright, but ultimately it lead to a lot of attrition from transferring or kids losing their focus. Even the kids that stuck ended up losing their team mentality as they played with the idea that they had to do more individually to stand out. Now that I think aobut it, this may be one of GTown's problems (when a kid like Mirabito, from a public school in Broome Co., NY stands out more than a heralded kid like Bronco).
Hip Hobart Forever!
snowbart

New postby stillcreasebeast on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:46 pm

snowbart wrote:If you're going to bring in classes that large, you better not have too many kids from name programs and press clippings. Hobart had a stretch with hughe classes earlier this decade and had a couple of at large bids and things looked really bright, but ultimately it lead to a lot of attrition from transferring or kids losing their focus. Even the kids that stuck ended up losing their team mentality as they played with the idea that they had to do more individually to stand out. Now that I think aobut it, this may be one of GTown's problems (when a kid like Mirabito, from a public school in Broome Co., NY stands out more than a heralded kid like Bronco).

Lets not forget that "recruits" list themselves on Laxpower. 11 or 12 are real recruits & the 2 listed as walk-ons get kudos for honesty.

On the subject of improvement - Lehigh graduated a only couple key players. Which means they bring back a very seasoned squad. If they can keep everyone healthy, then I believe they have a shot at real improvement. It wouldn't hurt if 1 of the new goalies was a wall either.
stillcreasebeast

Re: Upperclassmen

New postby reg-dunlop7 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:39 am

laxjunkie2 wrote:Anybody close to the program know if this never ending theme of "wait till Cassesse's recruits get here" is undermining the programs cohesion. Apparently if you read about Lehigh here, Chris Wakely only recruited inferior lacrosse players. If I were an upperclassman at Lehigh I would be more than tired of listening to this BS. What's worse is it is not just fans of the program, if you read some of the posts close enough, it's the inbound recruits themselves telling us all that as soon as they get there the program will be saved.

You're right about this. Upperclassmen are the key to a strong program. Talented frosh still usually play like frosh. Good, but dumb. For a strong season, the upperclassmen will need to step up and play well. Based on what I've seen, this group of upperclassmen fits that bill.
reg-dunlop7

New postby snowbart on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:32 am

stillcreasebeast wrote:
snowbart wrote:If you're going to bring in classes that large, you better not have too many kids from name programs and press clippings. Hobart had a stretch with hughe classes earlier this decade and had a couple of at large bids and things looked really bright, but ultimately it lead to a lot of attrition from transferring or kids losing their focus. Even the kids that stuck ended up losing their team mentality as they played with the idea that they had to do more individually to stand out. Now that I think aobut it, this may be one of GTown's problems (when a kid like Mirabito, from a public school in Broome Co., NY stands out more than a heralded kid like Bronco).

Lets not forget that "recruits" list themselves on Laxpower. 11 or 12 are real recruits & the 2 listed as walk-ons get kudos for honesty.

On the subject of improvement - Lehigh graduated a only couple key players. Which means they bring back a very seasoned squad. If they can keep everyone healthy, then I believe they have a shot at real improvement. It wouldn't hurt if 1 of the new goalies was a wall either.

I'm not saying that the class won't have success, just that it get's into kid's heads when there are 8 - 10 guys from "name" programs (the BL's of the world) and begins to impact their games collectively and individually. IMO, you really want 8 or 9 "real" recruits with 3 - 5 from that fit this prototype. The kids from the name programs may not perform either way, but they're less likely to fall into bad habits when they look left and right and see 9 or 10 guys just like them.
Hip Hobart Forever!
snowbart

New postby paradise on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 pm

This is exactly where the coach must step in. It's the coaches job to nurture a player's role on the team, and in particular monitor the freshman and make sure they are having a successful transition from high school to college. The coach must make sure all players are aware of their roles on the squad, both in the present and in the future. Coach Cassese will certainly have the opportunity to prove his merit this year.
paradise

New postby Lax1724 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:16 am

paradise wrote:This is exactly where the coach must step in. It's the coaches job to nurture a player's role on the team, and in particular monitor the freshman and make sure they are having a successful transition from high school to college. The coach must make sure all players are aware of their roles on the squad, both in the present and in the future. Coach Cassese will certainly have the opportunity to prove his merit this year.

If I'm not mistaken, this post could be construed as being positive.
Lax1724

New postby laxidaisical55 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:05 pm

snowbart wrote:
stillcreasebeast wrote:

I'm not saying that the class won't have success, just that it get's into kid's heads when there are 8 - 10 guys from "name" programs (the BL's of the world) and begins to impact their games collectively and individually. IMO, you really want 8 or 9 "real" recruits with 3 - 5 from that fit this prototype. The kids from the name programs may not perform either way, but they're less likely to fall into bad habits when they look left and right and see 9 or 10 guys just like them.

You will enjoy Dante Fantoni, a frosh from St. Anthony's. Natural scorer and very tough. Got a lot of playing time at St. A's while a junior and that is hard to do. I felt he was best their best attackman this year overall, overshadowed by Tom Schrieber greatness who will be a top 5 player in the country graduating in 2010.
laxidaisical55

New postby paradise on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Any rumors floating around on the 2010 schedule?
paradise

New postby Lax1724 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 am

paradise wrote:Any rumors floating around on the 2010 schedule?

According to the Tierney interview, they will be heading out to Denver this year.
Lax1724

New postby stillcreasebeast on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 am

Lax1724 wrote:
paradise wrote:Any rumors floating around on the 2010 schedule?

According to the Tierney interview, they will be heading out to Denver this year.

According to their website,Carolina has them in Chapel Hill on 2/20. I know they have Denver and Air Force and I've heard that Yale and Sacred Heart are on the schedule as well. That's 5 +PL schedule leaves 5 more
Last edited by stillcreasebeast on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stillcreasebeast

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I