Princeton 2011

Princeton 2011

New postby jhu6569 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Sorry if this thread already exists- but I could not find one similar in the first three pages of archived threads - SO:

What is this talk on the Denver thread about Coach Bill Tierney going, potentially, to Denver next year!

Hogwash - or actually a possibility? If he does leave - what happens at Princeton??

To me this seems like a block-buster paradigm shift in Men's DI IF it actually happens. Anyone with some inside dope to contribute here?
"Pro bono humanum"
User avatar
jhu6569
 
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Hattiesburg, MS (nee Columbia, SC)

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby Traveler on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:54 pm

Christian Swezey of IL is a pretty grounded reporter. He has a column in IL about the three candidates at DU, with no mention of Bill T.

Coach T may be in Denver now, perhaps visiting family or even recruiting, maybe even offering suggestions on how to do it or recommendations (remember Ross was an assistant at PU a while ago), but I would be astonished if he were interviewing for a job. Frankly, he's too old to take on a major program rebuilding effort, and he's on the verge of a possible NC run with a couple of outstanding classes right now.
User avatar
Traveler
 
Posts: 3868
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:37 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby jhu6569 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 pm

That makes sense to me, Traveler. I do not read or access IL. Thanks for the reply. I will await developments.
"Pro bono humanum"
User avatar
jhu6569
 
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Hattiesburg, MS (nee Columbia, SC)

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby Traveler on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:29 pm

User avatar
Traveler
 
Posts: 3868
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:37 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby MercerCounty on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Stunned silence.

"Demise of Princeton" posts coming soon from Hopkins fans.
MercerCounty
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:05 am

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby edge11 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Princeton isn't going anywhere. They have an unbelievable collection of freshman and sophmores and, as i suspect, Metzbower is will be named head coach. the guy knows what he's doing, he has been behind one of the best for years.
"Canada's a sweet country. Its like your retarded cousin that comes over for Thanksgiving. You sort of pat him on the head. You know, he's nice, but you dont take him seriously. Thats Canada."- Tucker Carlson
edge11
 
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: NY

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby Big Red Lax on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Traveler wrote:Christian Swezey of IL is a pretty grounded reporter. He has a column in IL about the three candidates at DU, with no mention of Bill T.

Coach T may be in Denver now, perhaps visiting family or even recruiting, maybe even offering suggestions on how to do it or recommendations (remember Ross was an assistant at PU a while ago), but I would be astonished if he were interviewing for a job. Frankly, he's too old to take on a major program rebuilding effort, and he's on the verge of a possible NC run with a couple of outstanding classes right now.

Consider yourself officially astonished.
User avatar
Big Red Lax
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby Traveler on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Big Red Lax wrote:
Traveler wrote:Christian Swezey of IL is a pretty grounded reporter. He has a column in IL about the three candidates at DU, with no mention of Bill T.
Coach T may be in Denver now, perhaps visiting family or even recruiting, maybe even offering suggestions on how to do it or recommendations (remember Ross was an assistant at PU a while ago), but I would be astonished if he were interviewing for a job. Frankly, he's too old to take on a major program rebuilding effort, and he's on the verge of a possible NC run with a couple of outstanding classes right now.

Consider yourself officially astonished.

I did, but that was 4 1/2 hours ago. I've moved on since then. Time to think about the replacement.
User avatar
Traveler
 
Posts: 3868
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:37 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby MCNPA on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:05 pm

edge11 wrote:Princeton isn't going anywhere. They have an unbelievable collection of freshman and sophmores and, as i suspect, Metzbower is will be named head coach. the guy knows what he's doing, he has been behind one of the best for years.


As much as it sounds nice to think Princeton won't lose a step, it is far from a given. Being behind the best is not the same as being the guy who built the program. There is a stigma there. Regardless of whether Metzbower did a ton of the recruiting, or coaching, Tierney...the man, the coach, the legend, was still there. It is hard to figure out where Princeton lands in all this after an icon leaves. I believe they probably will stay near the top of the Ivy's , but it's far from guaranteed when a Dean Smith of the Lax world moves on.
Let's Go REDMEN!
User avatar
MCNPA
 
Posts: 3216
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:48 am
Location: Northport, NY

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby cheapshot on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:35 pm

i think this will be a good change for the tigers, tierney's methods just seemed to only get the tigers so far in the past couple of years. It almost seemed his game plans were holding back the strength of the tigers. Just an outsiders view of who would catch about 4- 5 PU games a year. Their offense needs a kick in the a$$ and their d will still be solid. So hopefully with a new coach they can try some new stuff. Maybe they can get some new equipment to haha
cheapshot
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:18 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby jhu6569 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Very difficult for me to think that whomever the successor to Coach Bill Tierney: Princeton in the next few years will have to struggle to match their past recent accomplishments - incoming recruiting class or not. I think this coaching change DOES impact both the Ivy league, clearly, and those long-time PU - X rivalries big-time in the short-term.

Heck - as a fan of Hopkins I like this move by Coach Tierney, Sr. For selfish reasons. Yep- I certainly do not believe that the Nassau Tigers will disappear from the competitive map. However? I care not for anyone's supposed careful and in depth analysis of how now Princeton will play a different, that is - more up-tempo - style when led by a new coach.

My bottom line? Princeton has lost one of the very, very best coaches in the history of DI men's lacrosse. His record of accomplishment will be very hard to duplicate.

As Denvers' fortunes have suddenly increased dramatically, so have the immediate fortunes of Princeton decreased big-time: in my opinion. Unlike teams such as Syracuse, UVA, and Hopkins - where in depth talent can combine with coaching: I have always felt that at Princeton the over-riding factor was Coach Tierney getting the absolute most out of a few great players and integrating the rest of the line-up into a particular style of play that resulted in victories. This skill was always, I thought, simply amazing.

Therefore, I am indeed in doubt as to the immediate future of Princeton Lax. No - the NJ Tigers will not immediately plummet from the top level. BUT- anyone being sanguine about the replacement for Coach Tierney in the short-term is simply in denial (I think).
"Pro bono humanum"
User avatar
jhu6569
 
Posts: 6845
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:42 pm
Location: Hattiesburg, MS (nee Columbia, SC)

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby realist20 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 am

I think that Metzbower will look to lead Pton to 15-10 or 15-9 victories instead of trying to win 6-5. IMO this will make Pton tougher to beat . Metzbower is up to the job and should get it. Hats off to Coach T. and all that he has accomplished at Pton and in lacrosse. All the best out west. Enjoy the additional time with the family. You will be missed.
realist20
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:08 am
Location: New York NY

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby Princeton75 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:20 am

The ONLY surprise here to me is that Tierney did not leave when his sons graduated.
Never debate an idiot....he will drag you down to his level and defeat you with experience.
Princeton75
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:47 am

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby hubert on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 am

Have not seen or heard anything relating to Princeton search for new coach. I assume Metz. has favored status but I'm guessing Princeton would want to at least kick the tires of other applicants wouldn't they? Has the process even started yet?
hubert
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:11 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby realist20 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 am

Get Nagle. End of story.
realist20
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:08 am
Location: New York NY

Princeton 2010

New postby coachmpc on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 am

Any word on who has interviewed?
coachmpc
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:27 am

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby hws196 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 am

This is what Inside lacrosse is reporting.
http://blogs.insidelacrosse.com/2009/06 ... andidates/
hws196
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby FrontierLax on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:56 am

Does anyone have any idea or thoughts on the impact this might have on the incoming class or the class behind it? It seems that this big of a coaching change can lead some young players to rethink things. Princeton is a world-leading institution, so the effect might be somewhat mitigated by the fact kids are still heading there to get a top-notch education.
User avatar
FrontierLax
 
Posts: 797
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby lancaster on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:51 pm

FrontierLax wrote:Does anyone have any idea or thoughts on the impact this might have on the incoming class or the class behind it? It seems that this big of a coaching change can lead some young players to rethink things. Princeton is a world-leading institution, so the effect might be somewhat mitigated by the fact kids are still heading there to get a top-notch education.


Anyone who is currently on the team and actually thinking about transferring is probably at Princeton for the wrong reasons. I can understand disappointment but to transfer would seem very short sighted. Princeton is a great place to attend college, though this coaching change does level the playing field versus the other Ivies a bit. Harvard seems like the school with the best opportunity to dissuade players from Princeton, but the weak social scene at the school still is a great deterrent to many. Plus, it's a long haul to get to Cambridge from the mid-Atlantic, which has always favored Princeton in recruiting from Baltimore and DC. Yale still doesn't seem to have the institutional interest in lax that is necessary to compete for players with Princeton. Given the right coach and continued support from the administration, Princeton should do fine.
User avatar
lancaster
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Princeton 2010

New postby Hardmesh on Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:56 pm

There's nothing wrong with the social scene in Boston/Cambridge. The problem is, there are all those Harvard people around!
Hardmesh
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:25 am

Sponsor
 

Next

Return to Men's - Division I

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bulldoglax1, Google Adsense [Bot], randyrad and 32 guests