Colgate 2010

Colgate 2010

New postby jonnycomegately on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:48 am

Congrats to Jeff Cohen for landing Clark University HC job. Good luck Jeff.

So it looks like Colgate has an interesting year ahead. What's the mood up north?
jonnycomegately

Re: Colgate 2010

New postby BackFin on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:40 pm

jonnycomegately wrote:Congrats to Jeff Cohen for landing Clark University HC job. Good luck Jeff.

So it looks like Colgate has an interesting year ahead. What's the mood up north?

I'm certain that these aren't happy times at 'Gate.

Nagle has spend more time trying to get a new job and getting out of Hamilton than taking care of business at home. I'm certain his AD , staff , players , parents and mostly important Alums must be most disappointed with the "interview tour" . The last 3 weeks of the season remain a taste that I'm certain nobody likes in their mouth. I'm also certain that has been a very strong factor in no doors opening for him.

Mr. Corp is gone after a wonderful 4 years and gaining 1st team AA status. Maybe the strongest rookie in the MLL right now and a true force to be reckoned with. He will not be replaced anytime soon nor many of the seniors that just graduated with him. You can't find the next AA if you are looking for another gig.

Even my Chatelaine , the lovely Shirley ( and all his make believe friends ) have gone quite in support . Sources have reported that 'Gate players are no longer allowed in Frats , which to some takes a little college out of college because of issues Nagle is trying to fix. Not exactly a way to recruit serious players who want to experience "all of college".

With Lehigh , HC , and Lafayette climbing quickly , Bucknell having the recruiting class of the decade , and Navy and Army lurking for revenge , could spell and interesting fall for 'Gate and it's faithful .

My Chatelaine has also created an "image" with some prominent people in the lacrosse community that will haunt Coach Nagle for years for approving.

Coming visit me this summer:

http://www.virginiaaquarium.com
Now it's completely up to a bunch of guys wearing shorts to provide vicarious thrills for their unathletic parents who didn't make their respective Little League teams until they loosened up the requirements and everyone made the team!
BackFin

New postby realist20 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:08 am

Colgate is still squarely in the mix at the top of the Patriot league and will continue to be. All else is wishful thinking by fans of conference rivals. No one will individually replace Corp, but collectively the team can.
realist20

New postby Lax 2105 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Any word on possible candidates/interviews for a new assistant coach to replace Cohen?
Lax 2105

New postby centralnylax on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:47 pm

What does Nagle's incoming freshman recruiting class look like for this year?
centralnylax

New postby brunos13 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Good attackman in Ryan Collins (St John the Baptist/Brightwaters, NY)
BVR Lax
brunos13

New postby jonnycomegately on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:56 am

centralnylax wrote:What does Nagle's incoming freshman recruiting class look like for this year?

1096 1 Williams, Ryan Wayland MA Middlesex School MA LSM E Colgate
349 1 Collins, Ryan Brightwaters NY St. John the Baptist NY Attack E Colgate
2923 1 Wilson, Colby Hudson OH Western Reserve Academy/Georgetown OH Attack TR Colgate
739 1 Stanich, Kyle Ventura CA Oaks Christian CA Midfield/Defense R Colgate
168 1 Brown, Connor Pleasantville NY Fordham Prep NY Midfield E Colgate
98 1 Baker, Matthew Ridgefield CT Ridgefield CT Midfield E Colgate
816 1 Brown, Denis Point Lookout NY Chaminade NY Attack R Colgate
645 1 Baum, Peter Portland OR Lincoln OR Midfield E Colgate
1188 1 Thomas, Michael Peterborough ON St. Peter's Secondary ON Attack/Midfield R Colgate
2386 1 Bourdon, Robbie Quebec PQ Taft School CT Midfield R Colgate
836 1 Grabher, Robbie Glen Head NY North Shore NY Midfield/FO E Colgate
903 1 Queeney, Jimmy Reading MA Reading Memorial MA Attack/Midfield E Colgate
1043 1 Clemmenson, Eric Farmington CT Farmington/Bridgton Academy ME Defense R Colgate
849 1 Manning, Will Garden City NY Garden City/Westminster School CT Defense E Colgate

Looks like a couple of Canadians, a transfer from Georgetown, a few PG prep schoolers. I think the Oregon kid played in the UA game. Time will tell. I'm more interested in how things are going in the hunt for the new assistant. Does the perception that Nagle may not be around much longer hurt the hunt or might some go getter take a shot that maybe if Nagle leaves, they could take over? Has Gibson been moved up to the number one assistant?
jonnycomegately

New postby centralnylax on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 am

Everyone knows that the best coaches are usually the ones with the best players, or at least it doesn't hurt, and with a former LI defenseman of the year in Will Manning, and Under Armour All American in Peter Baum, and a Georgetown transfer, certainly looks like it could be a strong class. Solid top to bottom. Those Canadians could be crafty too, which never hurts.
centralnylax

New postby Hardmesh on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:12 am

The Georgetown transfer played in one game for the Hoyas and registered no stats last year. Maybe he was hurt. Help is on the way!
Hardmesh

New postby realist20 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:53 pm

Backfin sounds alot like the ACC rivals that smashed Duke prior to last yr. Gate will be strong, very strong.
realist20

New postby centralnylax on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 am

The Inside Lacrosse power 100 recruit ranking just came out for this year's class, and there is only one Colgate freshman in the top 100. But then there is a bright spot in the #3 junior college/PG player Will Manning.
centralnylax

New postby jonnycomegately on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 am

centralnylax wrote:The Inside Lacrosse power 100 recruit ranking just came out for this year's class, and there is only one Colgate freshman in the top 100. But then there is a bright spot in the #3 junior college/PG player Will Manning.

No offense to the recruits alluded to above, but Inside lacrosse top rankings are a laughable concept at best. I've seen more can't miss types crash and burn because they cannot handle the jump to college life and equal talent. Hope Nagle has found some gems.

Anyone seen a schedule yet? Will there be another swing down through ACC country? What about fall ball? I think I saw that thye are playing in a tourney @ some prep school in Mass.
jonnycomegately

New postby morningspoon on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:05 am

some of the younger guys are going to have to step up, starting with Chris Zielinski who is a great talented upcoming sophomore. Still have Tim Harrington in goal. And although Nagle has been interviewing he is still at Colgate and is a great coach, i think it will be somewhat of a rebuilding year but still do fairly well, without corp and not as much of an older talented team, they will have to play the possession card, hows the fo guy?
morningspoon

New postby Luke1909 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 am

I know they have a rising junior who was pretty successful last year and a few rising sophomores that are face off guys. What I don't understand about Coach Nagel is why do so many players that he recruits end up leaving the team? Obviously he is a good coach and I talked to a few players on the team and they said they like him a lot, yet there is a still huge amount of players that get recruited by him and end up not joining the team in the spring.
Luke1909

New postby coyote on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am

jonnycomegately wrote:Anyone seen a schedule yet? Will there be another swing down through ACC country? What about fall ball? I think I saw that thye are playing in a tourney @ some prep school in Mass.

From the UVM website:

BURLINGTON, Vt. – The University of Vermont men’s lacrosse program is set to host the second annual Catamount Classic – Lacrosse For a Cure on Sunday, October 11, 2009 at Thayer Academy in Braintree, Massachusetts. The 12-team tournament will raise money for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. This year’s tournament field includes: Adelphi, Albany, Bentley, Colgate, Holy Cross, Le Moyne, Massachusetts, Providence, Robert Morris, Siena, Western New England and Vermont.

Also, I believe Colgate is playing PSU and Cornell on 10/3 at Cornell.
coyote

New postby jonnycomegately on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:36 am

Luke1909 wrote:I know they have a rising junior who was pretty successful last year and a few rising sophomores that are face off guys. What I don't understand about Coach Nagel is why do so many players that he recruits end up leaving the team? Obviously he is a good coach and I talked to a few players on the team and they said they like him a lot, yet there is a still huge amount of players that get recruited by him and end up not joining the team in the spring.

Your post kind of throws something out there without specifics. Would you care to elaborate on the number of recruits who don't suit up in the spring? Is it a yearly thing? A recent phenomena? What is a "huge" number of players?

Its not that I'm skeptical, I just wonder if players are basically told in the fall "hey you're not going to play much this spring based on what we see" and the kids decide that maybe they would rather enjoy the frat life or something. Doesn't Nagle prohibit players from joining a frat? Can't be fun looking forward to practicing in Jan-Feb in hamilton, especially if you know you're not going to see much field time.

I imagine many programs lose players who were stars in HS but suddenly have to deal with everyone being as good if not better than they are. Tough to handle for some on top of all the other challenges including tougher academics and being away from mommy.
jonnycomegately

New postby Luke1909 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:10 am

The 08-09 class had 4 recruits out of the 12 who did not end up on the spring roster. In the 07-08 recruiting class 5 recruits out of 14 recruits did not end up on the spring roster. I definitely think that yes,some of the players probably had trouble with the transition to the college athletics, academics, and social life but it is very unusual for that amount of recruits not to stay with the team.

I mean I think it would be expected if you were a Colgate recruit that it would be challenging to play for a competitive lacrosse team and try to keep up with your grades. I'm just wondering is it Coach Nagel or the transition to the college life that is causing these players to not join the team?
Luke1909

New postby hubert on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:33 am

Luke1909 wrote:The 08-09 class had 4 recruits out of the 12 who did not end up on the spring roster. In the 07-08 recruiting class 5 recruits out of 14 recruits did not end up on the spring roster. I definitely think that yes,some of the players probably had trouble with the transition to the college athletics, academics, and social life but it is very unusual for that amount of recruits not to stay with the team.

I mean I think it would be expected if you were a Colgate recruit that it would be challenging to play for a competitive lacrosse team and try to keep up with your grades. I'm just wondering is it Coach Nagel or the transition to the college life that is causing these players to not join the team?

Maybe the coach makes cuts. Its not unheard of.
hubert

New postby candle on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Luke1909 wrote:The 08-09 class had 4 recruits out of the 12 who did not end up on the spring roster. In the 07-08 recruiting class 5 recruits out of 14 recruits did not end up on the spring roster. I definitely think that yes,some of the players probably had trouble with the transition to the college athletics, academics, and social life but it is very unusual for that amount of recruits not to stay with the team.

I'd have to say that it is not the transition from hs to college. If you look at many of the players who have stopped playing, many of them aren't freshmen. Also, it seems that it is not always the playing time issue as well, as (if I recall correctly) Colgate had a 3 year starter on attack a few years back who did not come back onto the team his senior year. I agree that it is very unusual for this many players to not stay with the team, (and I'd hate to mention it) but perhaps it is the coach? If it was just an issue of over-recruiting or making cuts, then you'd see just freshmen dropping off the team, but this isn't the case. When you have upperclassmen leaving the team (especially someone who contributed in the previous years), you have to start thinking it's something else.
candle

New postby BucksLaxDad on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm

How's the recruiting for the freshman 2010 (playing spring 2011) class looking?
BucksLaxDad

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I