Georgetown 2010

Georgetown 2010

New postby hoyaboy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:12 am

Time to move on . Hoyas will be a team of seniors in 2010 and that counts for something . I think that this experience factor will play a positive role in outcomes . A Syracuse - like dedication among the players themselves might be necessary given the institutional model of excellence ; we compete.... better than most .

Certainly , making the Final Four is not a realistic expectation of mine . I am hoping for something like a back-up , hat in hand , at large bid . But I was also hoping for less rain this spring and I am famously always wrong with my predictions . Anyway , it's hard to make such a call without seeing the schedule . I am near certain that we can beat Providence but that's about the limit of my certainty ( how's that for locker room material , eh ? ) . Then , its probable that we beat St.Johns , as back to back wins over the Hoyas would not be spiritually good for the Johnnies ; it ruined their season in 09 . Villanova ? The Cats in a Hat are full of surprises it seems and historically they have always been a pesky opponent but we should be able to win that ... . in OT. Ok , i'll man-up and say it : Hoyas WILL WIN 3 ! Good to start the thread on a positive note .
hoyaboy

Re: Georgetown 2010

New postby despair21044 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:26 pm

hoyaboy wrote:Time to move on . Hoyas will be a team of seniors in 2010 and that counts for something . I think that this experience factor will play a positive role in outcomes . A Syracuse - like dedication among the players themselves might be necessary given the institutional model of excellence ; we compete.... better than most .

Certainly , making the Final Four is not a realistic expectation of mine . I am hoping for something like a back-up , hat in hand , at large bid . But I was also hoping for less rain this spring and I am famously always wrong with my predictions . Anyway , it's hard to make such a call without seeing the schedule . I am near certain that we can beat Providence but that's about the limit of my certainty ( how's that for locker room material , eh ? ) . Then , its probable that we beat St.Johns , as back to back wins over the Hoyas would not be spiritually good for the Johnnies ; it ruined their season in 09 . Villanova ? The Cats in a Hat are full of surprises it seems and historically they have always been a pesky opponent but we should be able to win that ... . in OT. Ok , i'll man-up and say it : Hoyas WILL WIN 3 ! Good to start the thread on a positive note .

Oh come now,

I'm as big a fan of bitterness and sarcasm as anyone, but it's time to move forward! It's a beautiful day here in the District, and you have seniors to tout and incoming freshmen to overhype. Get with the program! Be the first to proclaim how you'll upend the evil empire!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Now listen to me, all of you.
You are all condemned men.
We keep you alive to serve this ship.
So row well, and live.
despair21044

New postby hoyaboy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 pm

despair21044 wrote:
hoyaboy wrote:Time to move on . Hoyas will be a team of seniors in 2010 and that counts for something . I think that this experience factor will play a positive role in outcomes . A Syracuse - like dedication among the players themselves might be necessary given the institutional model of excellence ; we compete.... better than most .

Oh come now,

I'm as big a fan of bitterness and sarcasm as anyone, but it's time to move forward! It's a beautiful day here in the District, and you have seniors to tout and incoming freshmen to overhype. Get with the program! Be the first to proclaim how you'll upend the evil empire!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ok , 4 .
hoyaboy

New postby I'm Awesome @ Lax on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:29 pm

I saw the UA AA game. Zac Guy really impressed me. I believe he is attending Gtown this fall? Hopefully he will see considerable minutes on attack this spring to help the constantly underachieving Hoyas reach the NCAA tournament in '10
I'm Awesome @ Lax

New postby MCNPA on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 pm

Considering that St. John's will likely be better this year, nothing is a sure thing any more...
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

New postby jayrat on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks Hoyaboy for getting this 2010 thread started.

Ever the optimist, I think the Hoyas will win a lot more than the 3 - or 4 - suggested (albeit tongue-in-cheek) by Hoyaboy.

There is a lot of talent coming back and it appears from the Under-Armour game, there is some good new talent coming in.

I'm expecting good years from Dowd, Mirabito, Kocis, Brancaccio, Ehrmann, Nixon, et.al. and I predict that Georgetown returns to the tournament and is a top-10 team in 2010.

Go Hoyas!
jayrat

New postby Zlax45 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Someone posted in the UMass thread that G-town and Umass are playing @ UConn next year...Just found it a little odd...Any insight here?
Zlax45

New postby PLB on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:39 pm

6 UA All-Americans in the freshmen class should help to brighten the prospects at Georgetown this coming season.
Zac Guy, Tyler Knarr, Dan Mckinney, Brian Casey, Dave Emala, Patrick Murray.

UMd only got 3 UA AAs and Georgetown handled UMd in College Park last year, so this could only widen the gap.
PLB

New postby splitdodge99 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 am

I had a a good talk recently with some 2008 grads, and I think a big factor is how much the players want it. QK had some very insightful commentary as to what is wrong with Georgetown and I still believe he was dead on. Lacrosse just is not as important to players at Georgetown as it is at other schools, and it is a big problem with this talented rising senior class. The 2 players I recently talked with said they could guarantee that not a single talented player has touched a lacrosse stick so far this summer to work on their skills. They are at Georgetown to #1 have fun and party #2 pass their classes and #3 play lacrosse. It is a big factor as to why we see players not get any better. There is not a player that would sacrifice a Sunday afternoon at the bars in the spring to prepare for a good practice on Monday and a tough upcoming opponent.
As competitiveness and skill level continue to rise in D1this mindset no longer works like it used to. Georgetown can no longer walk all over the Penn States of the world with their C - game. This has to come from captains and coaches and supposedly the captains of past years have not been the greatest role models on these issues.
I only hope that maybe this years senior class will take the last two seasons to heart because they obviously did not last year. As the number 1 recruiting class I doubt they would want to end their carreers as the most disappointing class in program history, but who knows.
splitdodge99

New postby fanoflax on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:03 am

I was at a summer league game and saw 2 college kids playing from G Town and they looked good. They had 2 down years, actually last year was more of a down year as the year before they did beat Duke and had a bad loss to Penn St. They have alot of kids coming back maybe they shake a few things . They shot really poorly the past year. They have a good recruiting class coming in, Engleke red shirted last year who is a great scorer, so lets what and see.
fanoflax

New postby thatsmell on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:13 am

PLB wrote:UMd only got 3 UA AAs and Georgetown handled UMd in College Park last year, so this could only widen the gap.

Come on PLB, it's not nice to start the mental warfare this early on the hoyas- what are you taking a cue from Cottle and sandbagging your team already???

:D

Seriosly, I've never heard Cottle say anything nice about his own team...ever! Most of the time when you hear him interviewed, you get the impression that he would choose to coach any team but his own! I can't believe it's rubbing off on the UMD fans!

:lol:
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Trapper on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 am

Could not agree more regarding the lacrosse culture at G'Town. Having known a few kids that went there, and their comments after they left, I agree QK was spot-on. The kids for whatever reason just are not serious about the sport as other top-tier teams. They party, go to class and play lacrosse in that order.

The Big U has to take ultimate responsibility for what goes on at G'Town.
Trapper

New postby PLB on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:12 am

thatsmell wrote:
PLB wrote:UMd only got 3 UA AAs and Georgetown handled UMd in College Park last year, so this could only widen the gap.

Come on PLB, it's not nice to start the mental warfare this early on the hoyas- what are you taking a cue from Cottle and sandbagging your team already???

:D

Seriously, I've never heard Cottle say anything nice about his own team...ever! Most of the time when you hear him interviewed, you get the impression that he would choose to coach any team but his own! I can't believe it's rubbing off on the UMD fans!

:lol:

More just a reaction to UMd setting a team record for losses last year, and also a jab at the UA AA section process and IL's recruit rankings. While Georgetown has had some fine recruiting classes over the last four or five years, lots of highly ranked players and UA AAs - but few college AAs last season.
PLB

New postby hoyaboy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:20 pm

We do play St.John's at home in 2010 , right ? Just checking .

Did someone say that we play UMass this year ? Make that 5 . I know , I know UMass is still in New England and that's pretty close to Garber.... and nothings a sure thing .

BTW Dave Urick is in 3 HOF .
hoyaboy

New postby splitdodge99 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 am

Trapper wrote:Could not agree more regarding the lacrosse culture at G'Town. Having known a few kids that went there, and their comments after they left, I agree QK was spot-on. The kids for whatever reason just are not serious about the sport as other top-tier teams. They party, go to class and play lacrosse in that order.

The Big U has to take ultimate responsibility for what goes on at G'Town.

It's tough for people to continuously dump blame on the coaches when the players care so little that they are partying on Sat, Sunday and Tuesday night midseason. By the time they recover from that maybe they'll actually get a decent practice in on Friday the day before the game, hey and that just might be good enough to squeak out a win against St Johns this year. When I played not too long ago, there were always a small handful of guys that acted like this but now it is commonplace.
splitdodge99

New postby jayrat on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 pm

As a Georgetown Alum, who did a fair amount of partying at GU, I find Splitdodge's claim that the Lacrosse team's perfomance (or lack thereof) is a result of too much partying by players a little hard to fathom.

Please excuse me if I remain skeptical. Then again, I am not in a position to know whether partying is a factor or not.
jayrat

New postby jhu6569 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Uh- jayrat? You state that you partied as a player at G'Town - but then you deny any competency to judge how such behavior might or might not impact the Hoya on field results? Really - what a "cop-out" message.

Frankly, this message to me hints that actually the claims by others that Hoya players do not REALLY care about the ultimate achievement of their team might just be right on the money. That is, Hoya players are NOT all that concerned about winning the big prize - they just want to play good (not great) lacrosse, get a VERY valuable academic degree, and have a lot of fun in the term.

I have three knee-jerk reactions to this ideology (if correct). In order of my thought trend: (1) Right on! Going to G'Town is about getting a great degree pedigree, NOT about sports. Having some fun at the same time is simply a bonus big-time. (2) WELL! That explains why the Georgetown team has underachieved so much over so long! (Hey Hoya fans - yes I understand that some of you debate this assertion. Not pertinent here to interject. Bottom line - Georgetown has NEVER lived up to their pre-=season hype in my experience.) (3) Ah! NOW maybe I understand the results obtained at Georgetown by Coach Ulrich! Multiple Hoya fans, defending their program and their coach, have stated here on LP that the Hoya's record of making the tournament is all that matters. Actually winning the trophy? - not all that important. OTHER
Hoya fans have assumed exactly an opposite position of opinion. Ulrich and cohorts HAVE to go because Georgetown players once recruited never develop further and the team has not garnered a national title in spite of great recruiting classes. Seems to me that the apparent Ulrich philosophy at G'Town meshes very nicely with the apparent player philosophy. That is? The goal here is to make the NCAA in lacrosse yes, but other than that: (a) graduate, and (b) have an enjoyable college experience. Actually winnning the NCAA title? - not an important quotient in the final equation.
"Pro bono humanum"
jhu6569

New postby Strannywastheman on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:13 pm

jhu6569 wrote:Uh- jayrat? You state that you partied as a player at G'Town - but then you deny any competency to judge how such behavior might or might not impact the Hoya on field results? Really - what a "cop-out" message.

Frankly, this message to me hints that actually the claims by others that Hoya players do not REALLY care about the ultimate achievement of their team might just be right on the money. That is, Hoya players are NOT all that concerned about winning the big prize - they just want to play good (not great) lacrosse, get a VERY valuable academic degree, and have a lot of fun in the term.

I have three knee-jerk reactions to this ideology (if correct). In order of my thought trend: (1) Right on! Going to G'Town is about getting a great degree pedigree, NOT about sports. Having some fun at the same time is simply a bonus big-time. (2) WELL! That explains why the Georgetown team has underachieved so much over so long! (Hey Hoya fans - yes I understand that some of you debate this assertion. Not pertinent here to interject. Bottom line - Georgetown has NEVER lived up to their pre-=season hype in my experience.) (3) Ah! NOW maybe I understand the results obtained at Georgetown by Coach Ulrich! Multiple Hoya fans, defending their program and their coach, have stated here on LP that the Hoya's record of making the tournament is all that matters. Actually winning the trophy? - not all that important. OTHER
Hoya fans have assumed exactly an opposite position of opinion. Ulrich and cohorts HAVE to go because Georgetown players once recruited never develop further and the team has not garnered a national title in spite of great recruiting classes. Seems to me that the apparent Ulrich philosophy at G'Town meshes very nicely with the apparent player philosophy. That is? The goal here is to make the NCAA in lacrosse yes, but other than that: (a) graduate, and (b) have an enjoyable college experience. Actually winnning the NCAA title? - not an important quotient in the final equation.

I'm sure Coach Ulrich would be very interested in what you're saying.
Strannywastheman

Location: In the basement at Phil's, looking for the right stick...

New postby jhu6569 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 am

Well, stranny? NOT all that original from me, really. I am here just collating thoughts from HOYA posters and regurgitating these ideas within a context that I hope makes possible sense. I am NOT trying to hassle Coach Ulrich - BUT, I think that these recent posts by Hoya fans/ex-players DO provide a real potential explanation for the on field gambols of Georgetown in recent years. And, uh, according to LP posts? Is it not apparent that in Georgetown circles of coaching/administration - playing well is all that is required - actually defeating ALL comers to win the NCAA trophy is NOT required.

Bottom line question to all? How many of you LP posters think that the Hoya higher administration's job description as applied to Coach Ulrich states anything other than "participation in the NCAA men's lacrosse tournament is expected." That is, nothing said about actually WINNING said competition. :?:

HEY- if Hoya players decide to party rather than hone their high-school skills in order to get to the collegiate level of men's DI lax? Their choice, and clearly also dependent upon overall coaching attitude. This statement is NOT intended as a prejorative! Frankly, it describes exactly MY concept of nirvana had I ever had the opportunity to play the game at the college level. (1) Get a degree that counts. (2) PLAY a GAME and have fun. (3) Play well, but do not obsess, since this is not the NFL or MLB. Understand that choosing a college/university for me was dependent upon academics first, and ALL else immaterial, actually.

Yeah, I understand all of you "PLAYERS" out there! Thinking: "Easy for me, a total non-player to post. No concept of what it means to be on the field of play." Hmpph. Believe that if you so desire. I myself always played actively in sports - if not at any collegiate regulated level. Example - at 115 lbs played rugby in the major NYC Central Park league (and traveling) as a grad student (age mid-20's) - serious stuff! Tackling opponents well over twice my weight was always a challenge I relished and rose to accomplish. Actual on field competition? - yes I understand and have experienced the concept.
"Pro bono humanum"
jhu6569

New postby Laxball1 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:49 am

Are you guys talking about Coach Urick? :oops:
Laxball1

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I