Penn 2010

Penn 2010

New postby cshlaxer99 on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:05 pm

Predictions - Schedule- Recruits??
cshlaxer99

Re: Penn 2010

New postby ThirtySomethingGoalie on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:33 pm

cshlaxer99 wrote:Predictions - Schedule- Recruits??

I'm guessing at a 7-6 or 6-7 best-case result in 2010, given that most of their offensive producion is gone (Andrzejewski, Heiderman, Collins, Weber) and the team is young. If the defense can come around with the new pole recruits, if Penn can get production from Kohart, Winkoff and Griff, as well as the new recruits like Fitzpatrick, Heenan and Gribbin, and the goalie position can get solidified (is it Hegener? Is it the frosh Engelke? Will Casey come back strong?), then they could make a run.

The good news for Penn is that the Ivy League could be up for grabs. Yes, Cornell should be strong, but they have lost Seibald, Romero and Glynn so they'll have some adjustments to make, Brown lost arguably the best goalie in D1, and Princeton, though still talented, will have some learning to do under a new system with Bates. Harvard will be tougher as they seem to be coming together and they are relatively young, but Yale and Dartmouth are going to be also-rans. If Penn can find an identity on D and backfill the scoring, they could avoid also-ran status, but I still don't see my Quakers much better than 7-6 next year, unfortunately.
ThirtySomethingGoalie

New postby Baltimoron06 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Ivies are quickly becoming the haves and the have nots. Penn unfortunately is trending toward the latter IMHO. Don't think this group of recruits will change that.
Baltimoron06

New postby masterlax66 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I was under the impression that Gribbin was headed to Penn State not Penn. Can anyone confirm this either way? Gribbin is a fantastic player and would be a huge boost for whichever school he is going to. The recruits section of lax power says Penn State but it has been wrong before.

I do agree that the Ivy league is up for grabs this year. I dont think Penn is really in the mix for the title but Cornell, Princeton, and Brown all lost a lot of key players (Siebald, Glynn, Kovler, Burke etc.) so even though they have a lot of talent left on the rosters there may be a chance for Penn Dartmouth or Yale to step in.
I know its early but i predict the Ivy league will unfold as follows,

1. Princeton 2. Harvard 3. Cornell 4. Penn 5. Brown 6. Dartmouth 7. Yale Just my opinion but they Ivy tournament should be fun to watch regardless

As for the Penn recruits lax power has
65 1 Horowitz, Jared Greenwich CT Greenwich CT Attack R Penn
106 1 Parietti, Ryan Littleton CO Arapahoe CO Attack R Penn
117 1 Fitzpatrick, Rob Towson MD Loyola Blakefield MD Attack R Penn
119 1 Bement, Alex Towson MD Loyola Blakefield MD Defense R Penn
120 1 Swann, Paul San Antonio TX St. Mary's Hall TX Defense R Penn
122 1 Engelke, Brendan Garden City NY Garden City NY Goalie R Penn
144 1 Heenan, Kevin Manhasset NY Manhasset NY Attack/Midfield R Penn
160 1 Chapman, Michael Mount Sinai NY Mount Sinai NY Attack R Penn
383 1 Santomo, Anthony Mendham NJ Mendham NJ Defense E Penn
782 1 Richards, Nick Walnut Creek CA De La Salle CA Midfield R Penn
1181 1 Ives, Greg Belle Mead NJ Montgomery NJ Midfield R Penn

Any Info on these guys?
masterlax66

New postby LaxMagician on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Jared Horowitz - very good left handed attackman. Quick and can finish.

Brendan Engelke - split time with other GC goalie. Avg.

Kevin Heenan - left handed attackman for State champion Manhasset. Hard shot but somewhat slow.

Michael Chapman - right handed attackman with good size. Did not play HS lacrosse this past season I don't think.
LaxMagician

New postby killacam24 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:22 pm

i thought the name horowitz looked familier. according to laxpower he was an all american as a sophomore in high school. a 3 time all american is very rare in high school, but horowitz is not listed as one for his junior year. so even rarer is a player who was all american as a sophomore but not as a junior. im not sure about his senior year since laxpower hasnt posted them yet.
killacam24

New postby Baldo on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:32 pm

killacam24 wrote:i thought the name horowitz looked familier. according to laxpower he was an all american as a sophomore in high school. a 3 time all american is very rare in high school, but horowitz is not listed as one for his junior year. so even rarer is a player who was all american as a sophomore but not as a junior. im not sure about his senior year since laxpower hasnt posted them yet.

Horowitz has battled more than a few injuries over the past two years. This past season, I don't think he played much if at all and that may have been true of his 2008 season as well.

He was not AA in either 2008 or 2009.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"
- Yogi Berra
Baldo
Site Admin

New postby Strannywastheman on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:16 pm

masterlax66 wrote:I was under the impression that Gribbin was headed to Penn State not Penn. Can anyone confirm this either way? Gribbin is a fantastic player and would be a huge boost for whichever school he is going to. The recruits section of lax power says Penn State but it has been wrong before.

I do agree that the Ivy league is up for grabs this year. I dont think Penn is really in the mix for the title but Cornell, Princeton, and Brown all lost a lot of key players (Siebald, Glynn, Kovler, Burke etc.) so even though they have a lot of talent left on the rosters there may be a chance for Penn Dartmouth or Yale to step in.
I know its early but i predict the Ivy league will unfold as follows,

1. Princeton 2. Harvard 3. Cornell 4. Penn 5. Brown 6. Dartmouth 7. Yale Just my opinion but they Ivy tournament should be fun to watch regardless

As for the Penn recruits lax power has
65 1 Horowitz, Jared Greenwich CT Greenwich CT Attack R Penn
106 1 Parietti, Ryan Littleton CO Arapahoe CO Attack R Penn
117 1 Fitzpatrick, Rob Towson MD Loyola Blakefield MD Attack R Penn
119 1 Bement, Alex Towson MD Loyola Blakefield MD Defense R Penn
120 1 Swann, Paul San Antonio TX St. Mary's Hall TX Defense R Penn
122 1 Engelke, Brendan Garden City NY Garden City NY Goalie R Penn
144 1 Heenan, Kevin Manhasset NY Manhasset NY Attack/Midfield R Penn
160 1 Chapman, Michael Mount Sinai NY Mount Sinai NY Attack R Penn
383 1 Santomo, Anthony Mendham NJ Mendham NJ Defense E Penn
782 1 Richards, Nick Walnut Creek CA De La Salle CA Midfield R Penn
1181 1 Ives, Greg Belle Mead NJ Montgomery NJ Midfield R Penn

Any Info on these guys?

I believe Gribbin is PSU not Penn.
Strannywastheman

Location: In the basement at Phil's, looking for the right stick...

New postby flowingg23 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:56 am

does anyone know why chapman didnt play this year?
flowingg23

New postby spenny on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:31 pm

i got an email from the athletic dept this morning saying that voelker had taken the open drexel job:

Penn Athletic dept wrote:Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:34 AM
Subject: Penn Lacrosse
Dear Friend of Penn Lacrosse,

We wanted to let you know that Brian Voelker has accepted the head coaching job at Drexel. We thank him for the work he did at Penn and wish him the best in the future. We have already commenced our search for his successor. We are committed to finding someone who has the ability and desire to take us to the top of the Ivy League. I will keep you informed of our progress.

Alanna W. Shanahan
Senior Associate Director of Athletics
University of Pennsylvania
235 S. 33rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
--spenny
I reject your reality and substitute my own

old phorum: http://forums.laxpower.com/list.php?f=1&action=old
spenny

New postby laxwatch2007 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 pm

When did the head coaching position at Drexel become a "step up" for a guy who was already the head coach at an Ivy league school such as Penn? Even though the Drexel lacrosse program has made some significant improvements over the past 4-5 years (particularly with the opening of the new field and locker room), I'm more than a little surprised by Coach Voelker's decision.
laxwatch2007

New postby spenny on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:39 pm

my opinion is that it was unlikely that he would have gotten a new contract after this one, so it keeps him employed.
--spenny
I reject your reality and substitute my own

old phorum: http://forums.laxpower.com/list.php?f=1&action=old
spenny

New postby ggait on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Quite a series of dominoes falling this summer -- Denver then Princeton then Drexel then Penn. And more to come unless Penn hires someone who does not currently have a job (i.e. Munro, Metzbower).
ggait

New postby MercerCounty on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Announcement to alums and friends of lacrosse not important enough for Bilsky to put his name on it?
MercerCounty

New postby Ivywatcher on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:14 pm

MercerCounty wrote:Announcement to alums and friends of lacrosse not important enough for Bilsky to put his name on it?

I expect like most AD's he will put his name on the announcement for the replacement, not the loss.

Voelker is a nice guy, but has been a big disappointment for PENN. He started about the same time as Brower who made steady improvements each year on the women's team turning some walk-ons or near walk ons (brought in for grades, not stick skills) into top players, while slowly moving up in the rankings. Voelker never got a good grip on the rung to success. he probably guessed correctly that this is not the best time to be mediocre at PENN.

This is a year that the PENN students and alumni are expressing their impatience with lackluster teams. Big money is being raised for the new athletic facilities, so when asked for money, each donor gets a chance to ask about the quality of the teams and their coaching. The focus has been on the disappointments in football and basketball of late, but lacrosse alumni pony-ed up for the Ace Adams field, so i expect that many put in their two cents or so. Also, with the men's and women's lacrosse Alumni Boards being combined, Brower's success is hard to ignore, especially since some of the Board Members have daughters on her team.

On the bright side, this should be a great opportunity for an up and coming coach. The facilities are expected to be among the best in the nation and certainly the top for an urban school. PENN also has Wharton, a big draw for some ivy focused athletes. PENN is patient, if a game plan is in place, as it has been with Glen Miller who replaced Dunfey in basketball, and has strong student and alumni support. Brower had a tough time as she raised the bar and level of player commitment, to the dissatisfaction of her inherited team, and the university backed her all the way as she kept her eye on the prize.

Lacrosse is starting to get a lot more attention at PENN- the NCAA's were quite profitable a few years back- and Bilsky will have to come up big when he does sign his name to the next announcement.
Last edited by Ivywatcher on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ivywatcher

New postby Regularjesus on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Ivywatcher wrote:This is a year that the PENN students and alumni are expressing their impatience with lackluster teams. Big money is being raised for the new athletic facilities, so when asked for money, each donor gets a chance to ask about the quality of the teams and their coaching. The focus has been on the disappointments in football and basketball of late, but lacrosse alumni pony-ed up for the Ace Adams field, so i expect that many put in their two cents or so. .
For better or for worse, I have to agree with Ivywatcher's assessment of the PENN Alumni's influence over coaching decisions. The Men's rowing program has seen heads roll for several years now, and about to see more. The coaches' names have been removed from the website - never a good sign.

Best of luck to the new PENN Men's Lacrosse coach - because vocal alumni can be even worse than helicopter parents, if things don't go perfectly.
Regularjesus

New postby Traveler on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Ivywatcher wrote: PENN is patient, if a game plan is in place, as it has been with Glen Miller who replaced Dunfey in basketball, and has strong student and alumni support.

While your description of patience may be true generally, I'm not sure Miller is the right example, as I hear speculation about his future among UP alums. But to this outsider, it does seem like the Mens Lax position should attract some good candidates.
Traveler

New postby Ivywatcher on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 am

Regularjesus wrote:For better or for worse, I have to agree with Ivywatcher's assessment of the PENN Alumni's influence over coaching decisions. The Men's rowing program has seen heads roll for several years now, and about to see more. The coaches' names have been removed from the website - never a good sign.

I checked the PENN website and noticed that the 2009-2010 season has not been updated for several of the teams. Coaches, rosters and schedules are missing. Your rowing coaches may be survivors, after all.
Ivywatcher

New postby Viking on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Ivywatcher wrote:...lacrosse alumni pony-ed up for the Ace Adams field..

:?: :!: Ace Adams Field? What's that? Does UP have plans for some kind of smaller facility for lax and similar sports like some other schools have been doing? Please spill!
Viking

New postby ThirtySomethingGoalie on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Strannywastheman wrote:I believe Gribbin is PSU not Penn.

My bad...you are correct.
ThirtySomethingGoalie

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I