Saint Joseph's 2010

Where will Saint Joseph's Hawks Place in this year's Wacky MAAC?

First
7%
Second
7%
Third
11%
Fourth
10%
Fifth
23%
Sixth
40%

Total votes : 69

Saint Joseph's 2010

New postby MadMike on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Where will this year's version of the Hawks fly to? What about the returning starters? Replacements due to graduation? New Recruits? Take the poll - let us know!
MadMike

Re: Saint Joseph's 2010

New postby Gretsky on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:58 pm

MadMike wrote:Where will this year's version of the Hawks fly to? What about the returning starters? Replacements due to graduation? New Recruits? Take the poll - let us know!

Most of the offense is back, correct? So they should be able to equal or exceed last year's offensive output. The ?? are at the faceoff x, goalie and in-close defense. Someone who knows the returning players will have to chime in on this one. Very little is known about the recruits, so its difficult to say whether any one or more of them can make a difference.
Gretsky

New postby tunatime on Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:38 am

most of their points are back but guys like lopes, oneil, & mandela were significant parts of their offense. i think the 2010 story with sju will be on the D side. like siena, they loose 4 poles or so that either started or played a ton, plus a good dmid in bopf. add to that a leader in hotaling. though this sr group only made it to 1 maac tourney, they were pretty solid players, and spread all over the field. there will definitely be opportunity for new guys to step up and see the field. finding chemistry will be the key for the hawks.
tunatime

Hawks for 2010

New postby MadMike on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:32 pm

tunatime wrote:there will definitely be opportunity for new guys to step up and see the field. finding chemistry will be the key for the hawks.

I count seven (7) returning Seniors and fourteen (14) Juniors from this year's squad. With a 50-player roster, this is a very young team. That could be good or bad, depending on how they work together during fallball.

I'm hopeful that the recruits will be able to help and the team is able to create more offense than last year.

Does anyone know when the schedules will be published for fallball and spring?
MadMike

Hawks in 2010

New postby MadMike on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

From Munster on MAAC Thread...
looks like 4 incoming St. Joseph's recruits earned All-American honors:

- Chris Moffa - Goal
- Artie Marrapese - Midfield/Attack
- Kyle Williams - Attack
- Kyle Mahoney - Attack

When I look at the 2009 stats...

15 Seniors - 52% starts, 45% played, 27% goals, 37% assists
7 Juniors - 21% starts, 7% played, 48% goals, 47% assists
14 Sophomores - 27% starts, 20% played, 23% goals, 11% assists
16 Freshmen - 0% starts, 28% played, 3% goals, 5% assists

8 Freshmen, 6 Sophomores, 1 Junior and 1 Senior each played in less than 4 games with no starts. Only 1 redshirt (FR).

So, returning are: 6 SR, 6 JR and 8 SO (+ 1 redshirt SO) players with significant playing time.

My take on Hawk Lineup:
Goalie is a ? - Ferrigan did well but was not Hotaling. Will AA Moffa push him?
Midfield Depth is a concern. Much of the Senior losses were here. Some promising underclassmen though.
Defense loses 6 Seniors including 2 starters. 1 SR, 5 JR and 4 SO poles plus recruits should be okay.
Faceoff guys is SO with < 30% plus freshman recruit. Could be a struggle.

Overall, I see many of the freshmen getting chances to play right away.
MadMike

New postby Gretsky on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:02 pm

According to Laxpower, there is another St. Joe's commit who earned All-American honors for a total of 5 AA incoming:

- Patrick Mueller (North Carolina)

St. Joe's has a top business school, big-time basketball, has just completed a major upgrade to its athletic facilities, and (hopefully) will take it's financial commitment to the sport of lacrosse up another level. IMHO, with Providence gone, no other MAAC school can offer as much.
Gretsky

Oh no - off the front page already

New postby MadMike on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Just wanted to keep the thread fresh.
MadMike

New postby Woody on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 am

I dont know why you guys arent talking up Jack Spallone from Cortland High school and CNY Roadhawks, great finisher and will put up a lot of points if given minutes, good hustler and very clever finisher!
Head, Heart, Hustle...............Forever!

BC #7

AG

JFM

Legends - #22, #19, #3, #29, #47, #26, #10, #1, #44, #2, #42 #15 #11#7.
Woody

Conference Afiliation?

New postby MadMike on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 am

With Bryant, Quinnipiac, Wagner, Mount, RMU and Sacred Heart all migrating to the new NEC for 2011, do the Hawks fly over to the Colonial with perennial opponents Delaware and Drexel? Colonial welcomes Penn State (another yearly SJU opponent) and UMass for 2010. MAAC will drop from current nine members to seven for next season unless they invite more institutions (Presbyterian, Jacksonville, etc...)

This would certainly be a jump in terms of competition and SOS. IF the Hawks move, does anyone see them as able to make the NCAA on RPI and SOS in the CAA or would they still need to win the CAA tournament for a bid?
MadMike

New postby hvfan on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:23 pm

With all the talent in the CAA the Hawks would have to win the tourney, they would not get an at large bid.

And as much as I love the Hawks, I really feel there need to be some changes, they are quite stagnant in the development. I honestly think moving to the CAA would be a step backwards with the current situation on Hawk Hill.
hvfan

New postby jimmy_the_crickett on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:01 pm

the hawks were rejected 3 times so far by the caa membership committee... i agree w/ hvfan's comments, "I really feel there need to be some changes, they are quite stagnant in the development. I honestly think moving to the CAA would be a step backwards with the current situation on Hawk Hill."

There will be no moving up in the lacrosse development on hawks hill for another year or 2... definitely want to see them win some more games...
jimmy_the_crickett

Conference?

New postby MadMike on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 am

jimmy_the_crickett wrote:Hawks were rejected 3 times so far by the CAA membership committee...

Huh? How do you get rejected if you are invited to join? I heard they were considering a move and were invited to join the CAA during the realignment.
MadMike

New postby glax82 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 am

Gretsky wrote:According to Laxpower, there is another St. Joe's commit who earned All-American honors for a total of 5 AA incoming:

St. Joe's has a top business school, big-time basketball, has just completed a major upgrade to its athletic facilities, and (hopefully) will take it's financial commitment to the sport of lacrosse up another level. IMHO, with Providence gone, no other MAAC school can offer as much.
Hard to call St JOes a TOP school when hey accept 60+% applicants....their biz school not ranked in top 50 national best schools as per biz week.. so they will continue to be more a local draw to most students and laxers..
glax82

New postby Munster on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am

glax82 wrote:
Gretsky wrote:According to Laxpower, there is another St. Joe's commit who earned All-American honors for a total of 5 AA incoming:

Hard to call St JOes a TOP school when hey accept 60+% applicants....their biz school not ranked in top 50 national best schools as per biz week.. so they will continue to be more a local draw to most students and laxers..

I thought the discussion was about St. Joseph's as compared to the other MAAC schools. No doubt it is a regional school, but so are the other MAAC schools. If I'm looking at the right ranking, St. Joseph's is ranked 57 nationally. I didn't see any other MAAC school in the top 100. For a small, regional school, I would have to say 57 is pretty good recognition.
Munster

New postby MadMike on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am

glax82 wrote:Hard to call St Joe's a TOP school when they accept 60+% applicants.

SJU accepted 1200 incoming freshmen this year from a pool of 7000 applicants. That is 17% per my calculator. How do you get 60+% ???

With regard to Top/Bottom/Middle schools, it is more about the individual student and his/her "fit" at a particular school than it is the school. For example, a person graduates from Robert Morris with an Accounting degree and passes their CPA on the first try. But this person is looked down upon by relatives that attended Notre Dame, received their Accounting degrees but can't pass the CPA even after 3 tries... I doubt anyone would argue the merits of RMU versus ND but the learning is by the student.
MadMike

New postby glax82 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 am

MadMike wrote:
glax82 wrote:Hard to call St Joe's a TOP school when they accept 60+% applicants.

SJU accepted 1200 incoming freshmen this year from a pool of 7000 applicants. That is 17% per my calculator. How do you get 60+% ???

With regard to Top/Bottom/Middle schools, it is more about the individual student and his/her "fit" at a particular school than it is the school. For example, a person graduates from Robert Morris with an Accounting degree and passes their CPA on the first try. But this person is looked down upon by relatives that attended Notre Dame, received their Accounting degrees but can't pass the CPA even after 3 tries... I doubt anyone would argue the merits of RMU versus ND but the learning is by the student.
ur out of ur mind if u think 1200 were accepted..thats how many accepted their acceptance!! u must be a grad! ha!
glax82

New postby route66lax on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 am

I'm surprised Glax82 didn't say:

"their biz school is not ranked in the top 56 national best schools as per biz week"

St. Joe's is a highly-regarded, well-respected University. Just because it is small and draws many "local" kids doesn't mean it isn't one of the best in the nation.

Please don't be one-sided or state incorrect facts. No one here is saying that St. Joe's is the best school in the nation - and we all agree that there are schools that are better - but don't distort the truth and make up "facts". The people that are lucky enough to go/have gone to St. Joe's and receive a quality college experience will tell you how blessed they are.

After reading your posts, it's quite apparent you did not qualify to attend St. Joe's.
route66lax

New postby glax82 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 am

route66lax wrote:I'm surprised Glax82 didn't say:

"their biz school is not ranked in the top 56 national best schools as per biz week"

St. Joe's is a highly-regarded, well-respected University. Just because it is small and draws many "local" kids doesn't mean it isn't one of the best in the nation.

Please don't be one-sided or state incorrect facts. No one here is saying that St. Joe's is the best school in the nation - and we all agree that there are schools that are better - but don't distort the truth and make up "facts". The people that are lucky enough to go/have gone to St. Joe's and receive a quality college experience will tell you how blessed they are.

After reading your posts, it's quite apparent you did not qualify to attend St. Joe's.
my facs are not incorrect look at us news reports.. go to SJU and right there they state 61% of applicants were accepted..not terrible selective..i went to hopkins w/ around 20% acceptance..not that i was comparing but when u make the comment i was not qualified to attend such a distinguishe u as SJU i had to bust out laughin!!
glax82

New postby Munster on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:26 pm

glax82 wrote:
route66lax wrote:i went to hopkins w/ around 20% acceptance..not that i was comparing but when u make the comment i was not qualified to attend such a distinguishe u as SJU i had to bust out laughin!!

Now you've got my interest. I would pay real money to see your Hopkins diploma. Would you mind photocopying it and posting it on this forum? You can black out the part that includes your name.

JHU6569, where are you when we need you?
Munster

New postby jimmy_the_crickett on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:48 pm

st. joe's has a world reknown food marketing major... as for the hs aa's, high school is high school!!! years ago when my cousin went to st. joe's they had a hs aa named chris myatt who's college career was so-so at best... i believe in my cousin's same class they had a hs aa named drew scott who is the school's leading scorer... so it all really depends on if the recruit is willing to put in the time to get better by themselves and if they are motivated to succeed...
jimmy_the_crickett

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I