Yale 2011

Yale 2011

New postby LaxDad123 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm

According to Laxpower, the 2009 recruits database lists:

152 1 McCormack, Michael West Islip NY West Islip NY Defense R Yale
110 1 Cordia, Andrew Alexandria VA St. Stephen's & St. Agnes VA Attack R Yale
850 1 Zdrill, Kirby Edmonton AB Westminster School CT Attack R Yale
817 1 Lipin, Michael Boca Raton FL Saint Andrews School FL Midfield R Yale
534 1 Johnson, Peter Minnetonka MN Blake School/Deerfield Academy MA Defense/LSM R Yale
165 1 Gross, Phil Upper Arlington OH Upper Arlington OH Defense R Yale
2772 1 Sinclair, Mike Manhasset NY Manhasset NY Midfield R Yale
569 1 Yeager, Cole Wayne PA Radnor PA Midfield/FO R Yale

The program is moving to more recruits per year. Reese stadium is being renovated with new surface, facilities, & stands. Seems like they are getting ready to do battle in the upcoming Ivy League Conference Tournament. Good article on Yale and Yale's 2009 freshman class and their play: http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/29024. Looks like a promising future.

For 2010, I see two commits already:

Levings, Dylan Plainedge High School NY Midfield
Brandon Mangan, Wantagh High School NY Attack

What other names? Also, can the program get to top 20?
LaxDad123

Re: Yale Recruits & Direction

New postby LaxMagician on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Top 20?? The Ivies are increasingly becoming a haves and have nots. Yale is in the 2nd group. They will have their work cut out (along with Dartmouth and Penn) to not be in the basement of the Ivies.
LaxMagician

New postby Cardlax01 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Yale needs consistency, they played Princeton and Maryland pretty even but had just enough lapses to lose the game. Their stadium renovation should help, the plans look nice on the website.
Cardlax01

New postby Lax Genius on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Deron Dempster, an attackman from the Hill Academy and the Orangeville Northmen, is committed to Yale for this fall according to the following link:

http://www.thehillacademy.com/news_item ... ommit.html
Lax Genius

New postby LaxDad123 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Cool. Checked the school out on their web site. Never heard of it but looks like a phenomenal lacrosse skills building program. I was at a tournament in the last few weeks and heard that a Hill player was either interested or going there. At the time I did not know anything about the school (though it was in MD) so did not take interest. Not sure if it was the same player or one from the 2010/2014 class (since he was playing summer lax).
LaxDad123

New postby Yale on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:09 pm

Hopefully we can finally get some enthusiasm mustered for this team. Even if it's a complaint - it's something. I would rather see the ramblings of a rabid fan than nothing.

So whats the 411 on the new recruits?

What's the opinion of Gibson as Captain? Heard he's a great kid but can he rally the troops?
Yale

New postby Smart-Lax on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Gibson is a great choice as he has to be shown worthy through actions on the field (I'm not his dad, I promise). Speaking of recruiting, he has a great background coming from Chaminade. If we can get more like him from his school we should be in pretty good shape. The recruits above especially the LI boys look pretty good and Shay has already given playing time to sophomores & freshman last year. That should bode well next year and beyond. Also, as you know, the Ivies get their commits late versus the Virginias and Carolinas. I wouldn't just pay attention to the IL Top 25 Blue Chips recruits. There are many other kids that will be pretty good but haven't been necessarily identified early on in the recruiting process.

I agree. Let's get more enthusiasm and discussion going. Some down years does not make Yale a 'have not'. They carry a strong strength of schedule and the the Ivy League tournament will add more quality win opportunities (for NCAA consideration). I too see things improving. Hopefully, some others will agree (obviously the show-mes do not).

8)
Smart-Lax

New postby flowingg23 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:26 pm

who ran the offense for yale this year?
flowingg23

New postby Yale on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:40 am

Great to hear about Gibson. There is no reason why this team shouldn't be more successful this year. It looks like they have a solid group of recruits coming in and they already have a few good 2010's that have committed.

Once the season starts (even fall ball) I would sincerely appreciate more game/strategic opinions posted. As I don't have a son on the team I have no source of information to go by. I have not been able to understand the lack of chatter on this group. Is it apathy? I can't imagine that there aren't a few players/parents/fans/alumni that have a personal interest in this team....I think energy and enthusiasm is good for recruiting. Every team needs a fan base.

just my opinion.....
Yale

New postby LittleBoPeep on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:55 am

LaxDad123 wrote:According to Laxpower, the 2009 recruits database lists:

534 1 Johnson, Peter Minnetonka MN Blake School/Deerfield Academy MA Defense/LSM R Yale

The program is moving to more recruits per year. Reese stadium is being renovated with new surface, facilities, & stands. Seems like they are getting ready to do battle in the upcoming Ivy League Conference Tournament. Good article on Yale and Yale's 2009 freshman class and their play: http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/29024. Looks like a promising future.

Jack Meyer, goalie from Manhasset is doing a PG yr then going to Yale. very good player and had great yr this season. and he can sing!
LittleBoPeep

New postby LaxDad123 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:14 am

This is the son of JB Meyer, the Manhasset-UVA All-ACC goalie. According to the article 'Jack was considered by many as the most talented young goalie ever seen in these parts' (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:Qz6 ... clnk&gl=us). Yale already has two very good young goalies in Falcone & Brown. I guess Shay is separating them out by having Meyer do the extra PG year. Shows good commitment to Yale when I am sure Meyer could have gone elsewhere (maybe even UVA).
LaxDad123

New postby IvyLax on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:05 am

For Shay's sake, you have to hope Meyer is as good as the PR. If so, Shay will be commended for the right decision over the long term. On the other hand, if 2 of the top goalies from MD and TX, who were eyeing Yale and don't need PG years, turn out to be better at other Ivies or the Academies, then the Elis will have missed again.
IvyLax

New postby Ginseng on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:48 pm

LittleBoPeep wrote:
LaxDad123 wrote:According to Laxpower, the 2009 recruits database lists:

Jack Meyer, goalie from Manhasset is doing a PG yr then going to Yale. very good player and had great yr this season. and he can sing!

Two more Class of 2010 commitments for Yale. Both play for Bulldog Elite, the high school club team run by Graham Niemi.

Ryan McCarthy, Glastonbury High School CT Attack
Jack Ambrose, Staples High School CT Defense
Ginseng

New postby Smart-Lax on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:12 am

did either of these two play in Brine (champions) and Tri-State (finals)? How did they do?
Smart-Lax

New postby LaxDad123 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 pm

IvyLax-

Understand your doubt. I wrote the message to generate positive interest on recruits that I thought looked pretty good. I'd certainly like to know more about them as well as about other recruits. But, back to your point, as you indirectly indicated, with 3 out of 5 losing seasons, well, it is what it is. However, there are good signs beyond the recruits like the stadium renovation, the pull of the Ivy league tournament to be one of the top four teams, and the support from the university to allow for more yearly recruits (critical), etc. So, I do not agree that the coach is on any sort of time table. Shay seems to maintain the right balance between academics and lacrosse that is consistent with what Yale College requires. However, what is different now is that the university is finally coming around to recognizing the recent growth and popularity of the sport, all the excitement about next year's tournament, the types of well rounded student-athletes that lacrosse brings to the school, and the type admission and amount of financial support required to make the team more competitive. These things take time in an institution like Yale and especially for a young coach like Shay. I think he and the school are turning the corner. So, I am getting reinvested in following and rooting for Coach Shay and the team to succeed.
LaxDad123

New postby IvyLax on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:24 pm

First, Coach Niemi was at the Brine Shootout with a very talented Bulldogs team that won the tournament last week. Second, I agree with every comment LaxDad123 made regarding the encouraging signs for an improved program. However, Yale's stellar academic reputation and the Reese stadium renovations will only go so far in attracting great lacrosse players. I hear the saying that a collegiate student-athlete should be committed to the school and not to any particular coach; however, you also must realize that we are talking about an 18 year-old making the decision. Recruiting acumen is significant. Ask the successful DI coaches (or any Ivy coaches with a winning record).
Last edited by IvyLax on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
IvyLax

New postby nassaufan on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 am

McCormack is an All-American defenseman from West Islip, one of the top teams in the country. He could play for anyone.
nassaufan

New postby LaxDad123 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 am

Pretty good article on him:

http://laxmagazine.com/high_school/boys ... _mccormack

I think at 5'9" and 180 and 'adding strength' he will be fine on defense as well as LSM. There's just too much strength, offensive talent, and winning xperience there (especially as a former attack).
LaxDad123

New postby Collegelaxfan on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:02 pm

It is not entirely clear that Yale has taken the next step from a recruiting standpoint to move the team into the higher tier of the Ivy League. Brown has clearly moved to the Cornell/Princeton class since Tiffany came on board and Tillman apparently is getting some top notch recruits if these sites have any validity. It leaves Yale, Penn, and Dartmouth fighting with Harvard to get to the playoffs on a regular basis. The tone at Yale has been challenging over the past two years according to alumns close to the program; that is what happens when you only win one game in the Ivies over that period despite higher expectations for the 2008 season. In terms of the goalies, Falcone and Brown would not be considered top-notch recruits - maybe Brown was - and the goalie stats would support that.
Collegelaxfan

New postby Yale on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 am

Jack Meyer, goalie from Manhasset is doing a PG yr then going to Yale.

Where is he doing his PG?
Yale

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I