Canisius 2010

Canisius 2010

New postby GetchaPopcornReady on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Last season ended at 4-9. A disappointment, but looking forward to next year already. Who are the incoming recruits and who could be the starters for next years team?
GetchaPopcornReady

Re: Canisius 2010

New postby NYLaxcoach on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Just recently caught some wind about a potential incoming transfer, Garth O'Nell, from William Smith College. Seems that he may a few issues with size at 5'5 230 but should make a tremendous impact on the Griff's defensive end with his incredible discipline, and knack for ground ball play.

also look for incoming walk on freshman Wayne Nostrant and Stefan Steele to make a significant impact at the midfield.
NYLaxcoach

New postby laxfan830 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:14 pm

They also got some candian kids and some home grown talent and a goalie from california
laxfan830

New postby NYLaxcoach on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:27 pm

laxfan830 wrote:They also got some candian kids and some home grown talent and a goalie from california

No offense to the folks north of the border but it seems as if our friends from Canada have been a let down in previous seasons, ie: A. Jones (imo). I wouldn't bank on many impactful Canadian players in the upcoming season.
NYLaxcoach

New postby GetchaPopcornReady on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:00 pm

All of last year's freshmen finally have a year under their belts so next season is looking pretty strong. However many there were (16ish) have all matured along with the rest of the team. I think that this will really help bridge the gap with the older guys and younger guys and possibly help the team to build the chemistry of a winning team.
GetchaPopcornReady

New postby laxfan830 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:03 am

Yes last year was a very strong recruiting class for canisius. What is this year projected starting line up suppose to be
laxfan830

New postby GetchaPopcornReady on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:47 pm

Starting Line-up:

Goalie: It's gonna be a toss-up. 3 returning sophomore goalies (Bell, Callahan, Freeburg) with 1 freshman goalie coming in(Carrasco). Heard of a walk-on goalie too. It's all going to be who is consistent and who can get the ball on a line for the clears.

Defense: Barkas and O'Neill are the two givens. Whoever can fill in at the 3rd spot will complete a very solid defense. Plenty of names can go into the mix, Capron and Kyle O'Hagan are both tall guys (still need to put on some weight), Murray, Niesink(freshman) and of course the human wrecking ball himself, Brendan Murphy. Whoever doesn't get the 3rd close D spot will most likely split time with Nowak on the LSM.

Midfield: Plenty of options here because this was a problem area last season, but this may be one of the strengths this season just because of so much depth. Plenty of Griffs were in the boxla scene this summer and that experience can definitely help with the vision and the sticks. If next year's midfield can get that offensive chemistry and limit the turnovers, the Griffs can definitely make it to the NCAA's again.
Offensive: Jones, Alex Caldeiro, Giourmetakis
Defensive: Rowley, Nowak, Mike Rautenstrauch

Attack: A good chunk of the Griffs offense came through the attack this past season, but they had great chemistry with each other. Starting line-up is Lococo, Haney, Minieri.

Things to Improve on: Chemistry as a team, Production from the midfield, Limiting the turnovers
GetchaPopcornReady

New postby maaclaxing on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:18 pm

Alot of talent returning, plus some good recruits coming in
I don't see Mearns changing the midfield around, Benzingers is probably still gonna be on the 1st line.
Attack
X-Lococo
L- Haney
R-Mineri/Gibbons

Midfield(s)
Jones...............Calidero .......Domres
Gioumetakis......Micheals ........B.O'Hagen
Benzinger..........Vivian...........Allaire/Chapman

Dmids
Rowley(F/O)...... Rautenstruch .........Hermann
Coates ............ Maderer(F/O) ........D. Calidero

LSM
Nowak/R.O'Hagen

Close
Barkas
O'Neill
Capron/Murray

Goalie
??? Whoever has the better Fall
maaclaxing

New postby tunatime on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:07 am

maderer at Dmid will again see significant time...fast with a nose for the ball. played well in 2nd half of season. not sure about murray being in the mix...kind of fell off the map last year after seeing decent time as a frosh.

my bet on guys that will step to the plate this year: B Ohagen, nowak, allaire, & domres.

things i'd like to see: a move away from isolation offense to more off ball, pushing the ball upfield more in the air with more fast break & slow break, install some pressure rides rather than just 3 As acrosse the line...i think that's ok against the big boys to slow a team down but for the other 10 games, try to force some errors.
tunatime

New postby laxfan830 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Those freshman should step because that is the future... and most of those kids are playing out door and indoor lax. Does Canisius have more than 3.5 scholarships like other school in the maac.
laxfan830

New postby 716lax on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 pm

I agree Mearns will probably stick with mostly the same line up. With the right handed attack being a place the griffs need to be able to capitalize with Jones LoCoco and Haney all being left handed if whether it is Gibbons, Minieri, Benzinger whoever is on the right could really get a lot of lay ups and chances. The offense is strong, no question Vivian and A. Caldiero look to come back even better to get some more production from the midfield, and the line of freshman from last year, Allaire, B. O'Hagan, and Domres to stick together and contribute more. The defense arguably best in the MAAC with Barkas and O'neil anchoring. I believe Capron, R. O'hagan, and possibly the Canadian Niesink(?) getting good time at the 3rd spot and hopefully making the unit complete. LSM Nowak really came on at the end of the season starting at that spot, long, good checks he moves the ball well, and look for Murphy to spell him and be somewhat of a spark type guy and add a different element to the D. The D-Mids Rowley Rautenstrauch and Coates are all very good, with Maderer, Herrmann, and D.Caldiero all being suitable to get serious time and make this team solid on the back end. The big question mark will be the goalie. I think Freeburg has the 1, with Callahan at 2, but maybe the frosh from California can step and be the guy to take this team to the next level we will have to see all are good.

I have been following the Griffs now since the 07' season and hopefully the disappointment of last year motivated these guys to got better in the off-season and come in win the MAAC. Very exicted for Colgate and Cornell to come in lets go griffs!
716lax

New postby whatsgoodinthehood on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am

look out for canisius to try and score some goals on offense
whatsgoodinthehood

New postby laxfan830 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:08 pm

did canisius pick up any junior college players that might create more offense
laxfan830

New postby GetchaPopcornReady on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00 pm

laxfan830 wrote:did canisius pick up any junior college players that might create more offense

None that I know of, but the number of freshman recruits coming in is still indefinite. There looks to be several walk-ons again this year, but word on the street is that Mearns is downsizing the team.
GetchaPopcornReady

New postby laxfan830 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:50 am

i bet mearns is down sizing for financial reasons. does Canisius lax have endowments ?
laxfan830

New postby richlax5 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Regardless of if a program has and endowed scholarship or not the money can still count towards your scholarship total. If an athlete does not meet specific admission requirements and is given dollars (academic or endowed) it can still count towards the total amount. We have to keep in mind that many of the MAAC schools are increasing dollars for scholarships but no one wants to blow the entire wad in one recruiting class. Bringing LoCocco and Jones in a few years ago probably cost some dollars and who knows what Giourmetakis, O'neill and Gibbons got last year, but if a program has its eyes on a few recruits for next year, meaning the 2010-2011 school year, then why just spend to spend why not save and bring in some younger impact players later.

As for the downsizing, what if the team lost seven players and has, rumored, 5 coming in, one being a goalie, that means the team is at 42 to start not including any walk-ons. Canisius has a lot of players from last years group that saw little to no time and who knows if some of these players can truly compete. If I were the coach I would try to fill the voids, mainly goalie, and build on chemistry, which seemed to be problematic at times last year. Now if a player comes to the coach and says, "I am interested in your program" and upon further review the player could be an impact player do you turn him down no, but why go out and try to recruit more bodies if you feel that you have the team necessary to compete for the championship.

We all have to keep in mind that last years Canisius team was on the losing end of 3 one goal games, losses to Providence, Marist, and St. Joes and beat Mount and Manhattan. This is the same scenario that hit Siena two seasons ago. If Canisius wins two of those games they are in the MAAC Championship and none of us are questioning what the coaches are doing.
richlax5

New postby laxfan830 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:15 am

Does Canisius have an athletic fund for people to donate too?( so a field house can be built and better athletes be attracted to canisius). Those 1 game losses should be wins this year if chemistry was built this summer. and a Goalie can step up
laxfan830

New postby tunatime on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:45 am

they do. people can donate to the blue & gold and make it lacrosse specific. if you have a mil or 2 burning a hole in your pocket i'm sure mearns would be interested!
tunatime

New postby laxfan830 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:29 am

I wish. So the school has no plans of building one?
laxfan830

New postby tunatime on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 am

who knows what the future could bring. now that they own the BC parking garage I would think the parking lot behind the health sciences bldg would be fair game for future development, but who knows. that stuff takes years of planning. the school has chipped away at improvements over the past 10 years, particularly housing, and I would envision more to come. getting the science center started will be first priority. though i'd love to see it, i can't imagine a field house would be in the mix.
tunatime

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I