Providence College 2010

Providence College 2010

New postby buzzzz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:27 pm

How will PC make out with their move to the Big East?
So my wife says " Now that I stopped texting while driving I have a lot more time to floss!"
buzzzz

Re: Providence College 2010

New postby Bethelman on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:38 pm

I have no idea how the 2010 season will unfold( although I think it'l be a struggle). On a brighter note I hear they picked up two 6" 5 middies from a juco program.
Bethelman

New postby buzzzz on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:37 pm

With PC competing in a new conference, Scholarships to offer for the first time, and a new stadium in the works I'm surprised there is so little enthusiasm from alums,etc. What's up with that?
So my wife says " Now that I stopped texting while driving I have a lot more time to floss!"
buzzzz

New postby iripcorners on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:55 pm

buzzzz wrote:With PC competing in a new conference, Scholarships to offer for the first time, and a new stadium in the works I'm surprised there is so little enthusiasm from alums,etc. What's up with that?

Whats this about a new stadium?
iripcorners

New postby buzzzz on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 am

Supposedly there is a new stadium in the works to hopefully be completed in the next 3-4 years. I guess the college feels they need a better venue with their move to the Big East in lax.
buzzzz

New postby caddyshack131 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 pm

As a PC student that news comes as a huge surprise at this point seeing as how space is limited for a new field and we are building a new student center right now. That is not to say a new field is not needed, because the artificial surface they play on right now is terrible for lacrosse and there is extremely limited space for them to have spectators. The only logical options would be to (a) remodel/add to Glay Field (where the soccer team plays) because that has a natural surface and the soccer team is starting to gain more and more support from the student body, or (b) build a stadium on Hendricken Field, but that is used for a lot of intramural activites, club rugby, as well as rented out to local soccer teams to use for practices. If any of this actually does happen it will be a great and much deserved boost for the lacrosse program as well as other thriving programs at PC such as soccer.
caddyshack131

New postby cloverdale on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:37 pm

A rising senior middie Andrew Barton from St. Paul's in the MIAA has committed to Providence. He is a big midfielder that is all over ground balls and takes FO's. He is a three-sport athlete and plays with the infamous Greene Turtle Lacrosse Club.
Twitter: @tyxanders
cloverdale

New postby buzzzz on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am

It's funny that you mentioned the infamous Greene Turtle. Ben Phillips, a rising senior attackman from the OC Greene Turtle has also committed to PC. He's very fast, good feeder from X, and can finish. He led Easton High to the State Semi- finals last year setting a new single season EHS scoring record with 56 goals and 31 assists.
buzzzz

New postby masslax726 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Well lets look at the team. They only graduate 4 seniors and a grad student. Unfortunately that group includes 4 starters - a top points getter on offense, a two year starter in net and a captain ssdm.
This years team -
Tigh can shoulder the load on offense and hopefully some of those youngers players who got PT last season vastly improve for an offensive standpoint. Both face-off guys return although they both struggled at times. The defense should be solid losing only one starter and returning 4 poles that saw substantial time. Goaltending should also be good as the freshman this year also saw a substantial amount of time. Will the first class to be sold on the Big East Lax league see time from the start? Only time will tell on how Coach Burdick and the Friars will do.
masslax726

New postby buzzzz on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 am

Does anyone know anything about the incoming freshman recruits for '09/'10?
buzzzz

New postby ptown26 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:42 am

caddyshack131 wrote:As a PC student that news comes as a huge surprise at this point seeing as how space is limited for a new field and we are building a new student center right now. That is not to say a new field is not needed, because the artificial surface they play on right now is terrible for lacrosse and there is extremely limited space for them to have spectators. The only logical options would be to (a) remodel/add to Glay Field (where the soccer team plays) because that has a natural surface and the soccer team is starting to gain more and more support from the student body, or (b) build a stadium on Hendricken Field, but that is used for a lot of intramural activites, club rugby, as well as rented out to local soccer teams to use for practices. If any of this actually does happen it will be a great and much deserved boost for the lacrosse program as well as other thriving programs at PC such as soccer.

Providence College is currently activity fundraising for a new soccer/lacrosse stadium to be built most likely on Hendricken Field.
"Playing a midfield spot in lacrosse takes more out of me than football. I'm enchanted, too, with the skillful stickwork required. Lacrosse has more originality." Jim Brown
ptown26

New postby lax$ on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:44 pm

Any Big East dates scheduled yet?
lax$

New postby buzzzz on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Also, does anyone have info on any fall ball that PC will play fall?
buzzzz

FallBall

New postby masslax726 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 pm

They will be playing in the Catamount Classic hosted by Vermont at Thayer Academy in Braintree, Mass.
masslax726

New postby buzzzz on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:35 pm

The Catamount Classic website doesn't have PC listed as a participant.
buzzzz

New postby aduh on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am

PC will have a hard time winning more than or Big east conference games in the first 4 years of the Big East. Its a nice idea, but they werent even a MAAC juggernaut, how can they expect to challenge in the Big East?

Better than them now and will always be better than them:
SU
ND
Gtown

Mabye they can beat 15% -30% the games between them:

Villanova- has never had scholarships and still been a good team/ NCAA team from CAAs or close- now support them and watch them blow up
Rutgers- pivotal year there...win now or program may not recover, but still has a good lax tradition and huge wins in its belt in last decade
St Johns..........gets better yearly- academics will allow them to get in kids that PC cannot at times, more support

They will not survive playing stall ball in that league.
aduh

New postby aduh on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am

PC will have a hard time winning more than or Big east conference games in the first 4 years of the Big East. Its a nice idea, but they werent even a MAAC juggernaut, how can they expect to challenge in the Big East?

Better than them now and will always be better than them:
SU
ND
Gtown

Mabye they can beat 15% -30% the games between them:

Villanova- has never had scholarships and still been a good team/ NCAA team from CAAs or close- now support them and watch them blow up
Rutgers- pivotal year there...win now or program may not recover, but still has a good lax tradition and huge wins in its belt in last decade
St Johns..........gets better yearly- academics will allow them to get in kids that PC cannot at times, more support

They will not survive playing stall ball in that league.
aduh

New postby buzzzz on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:56 am

Good coaches formulate their game plans based on the strengths(weaknesses) of their players. Isn't it possible that with the addition of the '09,'10, and beyond recruits that stall ball could be a thing of the past?
buzzzz

movin' on up...

New postby oldmanlax on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Forget all that other jazz. A big step for providence is their own thread titled with the correct year. never has pc had it's own thread. wow. all ready the big east pays dividends. thank you syracuse. some will forever be indebted to your concessions. you guys rock. plus, with their own title burdick will surely have an easier time getting his assistant's to monitor the board chatter.

stall-ball, i prefer a "disciplined offense," worked at times and at others did not. to compete in the big east they'll need to run and gun with a solid defense. it'll take a few years but, by gum, they're moving forward.

adios. gotta go see what siena is up to.
Go underdogs!
oldmanlax

New postby DakotaDan on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Providence College Head Lacrosse Coach Chris Burdick announced on Wednesday, September 2 that former Friar lacrosse stand-outs James Courter and Colin Reposa will join the Friars coaching staff. Courter will serve as an assistant coach, while Reposa will serve as volunteer coach.

Courter replaces his former teammate at PC, Bennett Murphy, who recently resigned his position to pursue other opportunities. Courter will work closely with the Friars' defensive unit as the team's defensive coordinator.

As a player, Murphy competed from 2005-08 for the Friars. In 58 career games, he registered 53 goals and 29 assists for 82 points. During his final season in 2008, Murphy enjoyed his finest season on offense with single-season career highs of 23 goals, 14 assists and 37 points. For his efforts, he was named to the All-MAAC Second Team and MAAC All-Tournament Team.

Murphy spent the 2009 season as an assistant men's lacrosse coach while finishing his MBA. He moves on to pursue a career in the finance industry.

“Bennett has had a tremendous impact on our program as a player and has helped us jumpstart our BIG EAST recruiting,” Burdick said. “The program and I will be forever indebted to him for his passion, loyalty and service.”

Courter played lacrosse at Providence from 2004-07 and was one of the most prolific defenders in Friar history, leading the team to NCAA Tournament appearances in 2004, 2006 and 2007. He earned MAAC Defensive Player of the Year honors as a senior in 2007 and is one of only two Friars to ever win the award.

“We are excited to have James Courter back with the program that he helped build,” Burdick said. “James was a three-time captain here and helped lead our team to the NCAA Tournament during three of his four seasons with the program. He lived the championship model and was the energy and heart behind our championship runs in the MAAC.”

A three-time All-MAAC selection, Courter earned first team honors in 2006 and 2007 and was a second team selection in 2005. He garnered MAAC All-Tournament Team accolades in 2006 and 2007 and played a key role in three MAAC Tournament Championships. He is one of the only Friars to play in every game of his collegiate career. Courter played in 67 games and picked up 101 career ground balls.

Courter is a two-time winner of the Providence lacrosse program's Mark C. Cordon Award, having earned the honor as a junior in 2006 and was part of the senior class that won the award in 2007. The award is given in the memory of Mark C. Cordon ('89) who tragically lost his battle with cancer in October, 1998. The award is given to the player who most exemplifies the attributes that Mark brought to the field which were hard work, determination, and a passion for the game; i.e. "Heart and Soul." It is the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a lacrosse student-athlete at Providence College.

Reposa replaces longtime volunteer coach James Mascia, who spent nine seasons on Coach Burdick's staff. Mascia has announced his retirement from coaching to focus on his business career.

Mascia played for the Friars from 1994-98 and is the school's all-time leader with 256 career ground balls. As a senior captain in 1998, he ranked first in the nation in face-offs won per game, ground balls per game and total ground balls.

“For nine seasons Jim has been at the foundation of our coaching staff and is someone who we can't replace,” Coach Burdick said. “What we can do is continue to grow from the foundation that he has built for this program. We are very happy for Jim in his continued professional success and know he will always be one of our most supportive alumni.”

Reposa played midfield for the Friars from 2005-09 and served as a team captain in his senior and graduate years. The East Falmouth, Mass. native recorded 81 career ground balls and started all 16 games in 2009.

“Colin brings great leadership and energy to our sideline and we are fortunate that he has decided to continue on with the program as an assistant this season,” Coach Burdick said.
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I