Rutgers 2010

Rutgers 2010

New postby DakotaDan on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 am

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (July 29, 2009) � The Rutgers men's lacrosse team has brought in 11 prep standouts for the 2010 season, head coach Jim Stagnitta announced Wednesday.

"We are eagerly looking forward to the arrival of this group 'On the Banks' in September," said Stagnitta. "Each of these players has achieved at a high level athletically and shown leadership both on and off the field."

Mark Butler joins Rutgers after spending three years as a varsity player at Montgomery High School. During his senior year, The Skillman, N.J. native earned Second-Team All-State honors, was the Skyland Conference Player of the Year, garnered First-Team All-Skyland honors and was named the Courier News Player of the Year.

Among the 11 newcomers are two sets of brothers. Twins Matt and Scott Klimchak are from Clark, N.J. and attended A.L. Johnson High School. Matt was named an Under Armour All-American his junior year. The two-sport star also earned 2008 All-Conference honors on the school's hockey team. Scott earned All-American, All-State and All-League honors his senior year. Additionally, he garnered Under Armour All-American honors his junior year. Scott finished his high school career fourth on the New Jersey all-time scorers list with 385 points. The multi-talented standout earned All-State honors in ice hockey and All-Conference honors in football during his senior year.

The Scarlet Knights also picked up brothers Joseph and Zach Donnelly of Newton Square, Pa. who attended Randor High School. Joseph left Randor as the all-time leader in saves. He is a two-time All-State EPSLA selection and earned 2009 First-Team All-Conference honors. Joesph spent one postgraduate year at Northfield Mt Hermon. Zach earned 2009 First-Team All-State, All-Central League and All-County honors. He was team captain and MVP during his junior and senior season. Additionally, Zach was a three-year letterman on the wrestling team.

Newcomer defenseman Dan Ingraldi received All-State and All-Conference honors his senior year at Morristown-Beard High School. The Clifton, N.J. native also earned All-Conference honors on the football team.

Anthony Terranova comes to the Scarlet Knights after posting 104 goals and 60 assists at Hunterdon Central High School. The Flemington, N.J. native was named an All-American and earned First-Team All-State and All-Conference honors his senior year. Additionally, Terranova played wide receiver and safety for the football team.

Defenseman Chris Zybrick arrives "On the Banks" from Kinnelon High School, where he earned Second-Team All-State honors and helped his team win the 2009 Group I State Championship.

Newcomer Duncan Clancy earned Second-Team All-State honors and was named to the All-Mid Atlantic prep league during his senior year at Lawrenceville School. The Princeton, N.J. native was the school's leading scorer his senior year with 30 goals and 33 assists.

Midfielder Sal Carfaro, a Long Valley, N.J. native, joins the Scarlet Knights after receiving All-Conference honors in lacrosse, football and wrestling during his senior year at West Morris High School. He garnered First-Team All-State honors in 2009.

Midfielder Alex Ball is one of three out of state recruits. He was a three-year letterman in lacrosse and football at Arundel High School. The Crofton, Md. native was the team captain of the football team during his senior year.

"The overall athleticism and skill of this class will certainly make an immediate impact," said Stagnitta. "We believe that they possess the ability to make a difference both on and off the field in the years ahead."

The 2009 season marked the last season the Rutgers men's lacrosse team served as a member of the ECAC as it will join the BIG EAST Conference in 2010. Joining Rutgers in the league next season are Georgetown, Notre Dame, Providence, St. John's, 2009 NCAA Champion Syracuse and Villanova. The teams will play a six-game single round-robin regular season schedule. The BIG EAST will apply for an automatic bid to the 16-team NCAA Championship field.

2009-2010 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Recruiting Class
Name                Pos.   Hometown/High school
Alex Ball M Crofton, MD/Arundel
Mark Butler G Skillman, NJ/Montgomery
Sal Carfaro M Long Valley, NJ/West Morris
Duncan Clancy A Princeton, NJ/Lawrenceville School
Joseph Donnelly G Newton Square, PA/Radnor
Zach Donnelly M Newton Square, PA/Radnor
Dan Ingraldi D Clifton, NJ/Morristown-Beard School
Matt Klimchak A Clark, NJ/A.L. Johnson
Scott Klimchak A Clark, NJ/A.L. Johnson
Anthony Terranova M Flemington, NJ/Hunterdon Central
Chris Zybrick D Kinnelon, NJ/Kinnelon
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Rutgers Lacrosse Welcomes 11 Prep Standouts for 2010

New postby hedge on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 am

It's strange to see no NY Section III players on the list. Usually it's pretty well represented for Rutgers.
hedge

New postby doms76 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:15 am

The fact that 8 of 11 players are from NJ, going to what is the state university of NJ, really stands out and I can't help but think there has to be a reason for it. This is a major D1 school about to begin play in what will be the #1 conference in the country. It reminds me a great deal of the situation at Penn State. Both programs, in my opinion, should be top 20 every year, fighting for a tournament berth, considering the resources they have.
doms76

New postby gopher on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:36 am

If Stags would get on 287 to the Outerbridge Bridge then to the Verrazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway this will lead him to The Island, a place of beaches, traffic and lacrosse players. Many former RU players are from this place it may be worth a visit.
gopher

New postby corkscrew on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Any campers for mvp out there? that would help him make the trip.
corkscrew

Headstrong miss and Fall Ball scrimmages

New postby Scarlet Kinigit on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Shame about yesterday, but completely understand the school's decision to safe guard not only it's players but all the players from the other schools teams travelling to the Headstrong event. Have also heard the young man who was in a bad way is on his way to recovery and no other players have exhibited symptons.

As far as lax goes, anyone know if there's any chance to salvage some fall ball competition at this late stage. I see from the Lax for Leukemia schedule, which I know was a good trip last fall, that Mt. St. Mary's only has one contest scheduled and Towson has 3. http://www.laxpower.com/common/FallBall_Men.php . Maybe Stags and the AD can work some magic and the boys can get some action in down there.
Scarlet Kinigit

Sunday Scrimmage

New postby Scarlet Kinigit on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am

Looks like the Lafayette Leopards are kind enough to make the drive from Easton to New Brunswick this Sunday so the boys can get a scimmage in before fall ball ends. Thanks to all involved on both sides. 10:00AM on the Turf is what I've heard.
Scarlet Kinigit

Re: Rutgers 2010

New postby Zack on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Is this one game for sunday? How is the sick player doing?
Zack

New postby DakotaDan on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:34 pm

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Jan. 6, 2010) – The Rutgers men's lacrosse team released its 2010 schedule that includes six teams listed in last season's Final USILA Coaches Poll, head coach Jim Stagnitta announced Wednesday. Stagnitta is entering his eighth season in leading the Scarlet Knights. Last season, RU finished with a 4-11 record. The Scarlet Knights return eight starters from last year's squad, including 2009 First-Team All-ECAC and 2010 Inside Lacrosse All-American Honorable Mention senior Justin Pennington (Flemington, N.J.)

The Scarlet Knights will serve as a member of the BIG EAST conference beginning in 2010 after playing in the ECAC conference. Along with Rutgers, the six other conference schools that will participate in the newly formed league are Georgetown, Notre Dame, Providence, St. John's, Syracuse and Villanova. The teams will play a six-game single round-robin regular season schedule.

The Scarlet Knights host three scrimmages prior to the regular season. RU hosts Lafayette (10:00 a.m.) and the University of Hartford (2:00 p.m.) on Feb. 6. Rutgers will scrimmage Hofstra on Feb. 13 at 11:00 a.m. The Pride finished last season ranked No. 10 in the final coaches' poll and reached the NCAA Tournament.

Rutgers opens the regular season in Staten Island, N.Y., where it battles Wagner on Feb. 21. at 1:00 p.m. RU begins its home slate with four straight games at Yurcak Field. RU's home opener is set for Feb. 27 at 3:00 p.m. against UMBC, a team that finished 2009 ranked No. 9 and reached the NCAA Tournament.

The Scarlet Knights open the month of March by hosting the St. Joseph's Hawks on March 6 for a 1:00 p.m. game. Rutgers will face another top-ranked team on March 13 by welcoming Penn State at 1:00 p.m. The Nittany Lions finished the 2009 season ranked No. 16.

RU will be on short rest for its next contest as it hosts Marist three days later, March 16th, in its first night game of the season as the squads face off at 7:00 p.m. The Scarlet Knights close out the month of March with two road games. Rutgers travels to West Point, N.Y. to take on Army on March 20 for a noon contest.

RU will open BIG EAST play March 27 at Notre Dame with a noon start. The Irish finished No. 2 in the 2009 final coaches' poll. The Scarlet Knights return to Yurcak Field for its first conference home game, battling St. John's on April 3 at 3:00 p.m.

Rutgers steps out of BIG EAST play for its next two contests, traveling to Jacksonville (April 10, noon) and Princeton (April 13, 7:00 p.m.). Princeton reached the second round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament.

RU faces its biggest challenge on April 18 when it hosts two-time defending NCAA Champion Syracuse at 6:00 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on ESPNU. The Orange have more Division I men's lacrosse titles (11) than any other program in NCAA history.

Rutgers welcomes Villanova to Yurcak Field on April 25 at 1:00 p.m. for its final home contest. In 2009, the Wildcats earned a No. 19 final ranking and earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

The Scarlet Knights close out the regular season with two conference road matches at the beginning of May. Rutgers travels to Georgetown on May 1 and closes out the regular season at Providence on May 9. Both road battles begin at 1:00 p.m.

The 2010 Men's Lacrosse NCAA Championships will take place May 29-31 at the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Md.

Day     Date       Opponent             Location              Time         TV
Sat. Feb. 6 Lafayette (scrim.) Piscataway, N.J. 10:00 a.m.
Sat. Feb. 6 Hartford (scrim.) Piscataway, N.J. 1:00 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 13 Hofstra (scrim.) Piscataway, N.J. 11:00 a.m.
Sun. Feb. 21 Wagner Staten Island, N.Y. 1:00 p.m.
Sat. Feb. 27 UMBC Piscataway, N.J. 3:00 p.m.
Sat. March 6 ST. JOSEPH’S Piscataway, N.J. 1:00 p.m.
Sat. March 13 PENN STATE Piscataway, N.J. 1:00 p.m.
Tues. March 16 MARIST Piscataway, N.J. 7:00 p.m.
Sat. March 20 Army West Point, N.Y. 12:00 p.m.
Sat. March 2 Notre Dame* Notre Dame, Ind. 12:00 p.m.
Sat. April 3 ST. JOHN’S* Piscataway, N.J. 3:00 p.m.
Sat. April 10 Jacksonville Jacksonville, Fla. 12:00 p.m.
Tues. April 13 Princeton Princeton, N.J. 7:00 p.m.
Sun. April 18 SYRACUSE* Piscataway, N.J. 6:00 p.m. ESPNU
Sun. April 25 VILLANOVA* Piscataway, N.J. 1:00 p.m.
Sat. May 1 Georgetown* Washington, D.C. 1:00 p.m.
Sun. May 9 Providence* Providence, R.I 1:00 p.m.

Home games in CAPS
*Indicates BIG EAST games
DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby Carl_Spackler on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Any thoughts or predictions?

My guess, if I counted right, is 7-7. That's with wins over St. John's (lost a lot of talent), St. Joe's (can't happen twice can it?), and 'Nova (not sure what they return and I want to be optimistic) Hopefully they can shock somebody and get above .500 (maybe PSU, UMBC or Army, I think they have an outside shot at anyone of those) They have some pretty good talent, hopefully it can come together and make a succesful season.

Sub question: If under .500 this year, does the new A.D. care enough to make a coaching change?
Carl_Spackler

New postby WildLax on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 pm

A.D. should start looking now. Scarlet Knights will be lucky to be 500 !!
WildLax

New postby Scarlet Kinigit on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:04 pm

WildLax wrote:A.D. should start looking now. Scarlet Knights will be lucky to be 500 !!

Looks like WildLax from Villanova has a pretty low opinion of RU's season outlook.

It's January so I like to be optimistic and am hoping that Stags is getting the team ready to play at higher level than it has over the past couple years. The athletes are there. Gotta find a way to put the puzzle pieces together.
Scarlet Kinigit

New postby corkscrew on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Why can't this team put anything together? Is it recruiting? Scheduling? Location? Coaching Staff? They have been a non factor for a LONG time.
corkscrew

New postby Mid-Lax on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Lots of talent from these New Jersey kids. I expect big things if Stags plays the best players and gets the players to forget old rivalries.
Mid-Lax

New postby Skooner on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:20 pm

14 games and I think that 9 of them are winnable. It seems that most coaches would want to try to increase their strength of schedule over time as they are able to better their program, but Rutgers is going backwards. If Rutgers went .500 with a really tough schedule that would be one thing, but with this schedule Rutgers should be at least 9-5 in order to have any respect. I have confidence that Rutgers has talented players who can win 9 games this season. We all know that this coach can win against DIII teams, but I’d say that without at least a .500 season, the A.D. should get someone who has a winning formula for DI.
Skooner

New postby corkscrew on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:32 pm

I think some top Div III teams could have a winning record with that schedule.
corkscrew

New postby stillcreasebeast on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:54 pm

corkscrew wrote:I think some top Div III teams could have a winning record with that schedule.

That's harsh. Maybe a top D-3 would be favored over 3 of them. :wink:
stillcreasebeast

New postby corkscrew on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Wagner
ST. JOSEPH’S
MARIST
ST. JOHN’S*
Jacksonville

Here are 5
corkscrew

New postby stillcreasebeast on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 pm

corkscrew wrote:Wagner
ST. JOSEPH’S
MARIST
ST. JOHN’S*
Jacksonville

Here are 5

5-9

That's a long way from a winning record. Check out UVa & dook. The Cav's have an easier schedule.
stillcreasebeast

New postby MCNPA on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:24 pm

corkscrew wrote:Wagner
ST. JOSEPH’S
MARIST
ST. JOHN’S*
Jacksonville

Here are 5

Keep marking that St. John's game down as a guaranteed win...
Let's Go REDMEN!
MCNPA

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I