Binghamton Bearcats 2010

Binghamton Bearcats 2010

New postby No O on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Any buzz about this year?Fall Ball?
No O

Re: Binghamton Bearcats 2010

New postby ketch on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:48 pm

The biggest question mark is who will play in goal. For the last 7 or so years we've had exceptional goaltending with Kevin McKeown and Larry Kline. Who's going to step up?
Bing was terrible the first half of last year, but let's remember who the competition was (Syracuse, Cornell, etc.). Down the stretch the team played well, well enough to beat the AE pretendenders who were going to take them down (you know who you are) but not quite well enough to down Albany, Colgate, and UMBC. Anyone who thinks that the Bearcats s***ed from beginning to end last year isn't paying attention to the facts. There are a lot of holes to fill this year but the coaches have brought in some good offensive talent to pair with the always stout defense.
Binghamton's coaches should be commended on running a clean program with solid student athletes. You'll never find one of the lax players stealing condoms from Walmart, as did a hoop player. They're smart enough to know that they're available for free on campus.
Finally, I'd like to lay to rest the rumors that I will be stepping out as the new point guard on the BU basketball team. No Grand Masters in college basketball.
Estab. 1997
ketch

New postby lax experience on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 am

Just saw on the Canisius thread that there is a Canisius Bing scrimmage 10/24. Looks like at Bing but time a little sketchy. One post says noon another says 1. Should be good match up. Canisius had disappointing year with a lot of close losses but has almost everyone back. Bing has lots of holes to fill and none bigger than Kline. Heard his back up last year left school as well but not confirmed. Haven't seen or heard anything on the incoming freshman. If any of the attackmen or middies can hit the net they should see the field right away.
lax experience

New postby tunatime on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:48 am

BU/CC scrimmage is at 1
tunatime

New postby Baldo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:55 am

Quite the mess at Bingo athletics - AD resigns amidst scandal inside the Hoops prorgam

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/sport ... ref=sports

Any indirect impact on lacrosse?
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it"
- Yogi Berra
Baldo
Site Admin

New postby LI77Lax on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:25 pm

This stuff with the hoops program comes as no surprise to anyone that follows Bearcat sports.The AD was all about hoop and no other program meant anything to him.Bringing in Broadus with his personal baggage was the beginnig of the mess that followed,Thirer wanted to win in hoop so bad that he sold out the integrity of a great institution and otherwise clean athletic program.These kids he brought in did not even get close to meeting the academic requirements for Binghamton.I can see cutting them a little slack,but the athletic dept sold out .Unfortunately ,he tainted the the school .The student/athletes from the other teams have been getting the short end of things because of the favoritism shown the bball program and they knew it.How the heck does the coach still have his job?Oh yeah the mighty $$$$.Fire the team and keep the coach?I say cleaning house is the only way to start to show that they are trying to turn this thing around.Support all the Bearcat student athletes!!!
LI77Lax

New postby downstatenylax1 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:37 pm

With the loss of 3 yr starter Kline in net is a big loss. They had one of their freshman goalies transfer, and the Herkimer transfer couldn't get in this semester, so it leaves the one sophomore and incoming freshman. Both are untested. I heard the sophomore goalie is a former Empire State Central team goalie along with first team section 3 all country player. He should be able to step in and take charge.
downstatenylax1

New postby bikecny on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 am

Jordan Marra the Sophmore goalie will be fine. He had a great Summer in the very competitive Syracuse city Rec league. He is gaining confidence daily in Fall ball and is a smart kid with good instincts. He will have growing pains yes, but will be a solid goalie.
bikecny

New postby lax experience on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:01 am

Anyone have any news on this year's team yet. Can someone also confirm the start time for the scrimmage Sat against Canisius.
lax experience

New postby bikecny on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 am

Scrimmage Saturday the 24th is at 1pm. This years team is..... lets say more connected with each other and the coaching staff. Great effort by everyone this Fall. Working hard, athletic, and the team mentality is markedly improved. This years BearCats hopefully starting Saturday, will be a much improved, hard playing, fundamentally sounder team. Good things to come.
bikecny

New postby No O on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Anyone see todays scrimmage? Just curious how Binghamton looked!
No O

New postby tunatime on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:55 pm

they easily handled an undermanned griffs squad, maybe something like 14-8. griffs without their 3 starting close d, #1 FO guy, and 2 top mids (illness & injuries). it was good opportunity to find guys in the slots, and they did a good job of converting. must have won 85-90% of FOs. attacks looked good, mids moved ball off FO wins nicely. i don't know the team, but it looked like a substantial number of guys played. all in all, had to be good for both teams.
tunatime

New postby ketch on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 pm

No O wrote:Anyone see todays scrimmage? Just curious how Binghamton looked!

I think all Bing fans were smiling after today's scrimmage. I know it's just fall ball, but the Bearcats looked great in every phase of the game. I can only guess that it was three freshmen starting on attack, but freshmen or not, their teamwork and ability to both feed and go to the cage is something I've never seen from a Binghamton attack before. Very slick unit. The diaper dandies on attack allowed Andy Cook to move to midfield with Steve Carlson and Frank Donlon. That's also a better midfield line than we've seen in a while. Donegan (not sure of the first name) dominated on face offs and the defense, led by Ben Waldron and Griff McGloughlin, desticked the Griffs time after time and looked like a typical solid Bing defense. They looked good. Jordan Marra looked comfortable in the cage and the frosh goalie was also pretty solid. I don't think anyone will be confusing this team with last year's team come spring. New talent, new attitude.

Just my opinion, but from the Griffs hootin' and hollerin' before the scrimmage, you'd think they thought they were going to be in a laugher. So who's laughing now? :lol:
Estab. 1997
ketch

New postby downstatenylax1 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:34 am

I thought Bingo looked very good on Face-offs and ball movement. The Griffs did not have their best Face-off man, along with other team members out sick with the Flu. The team needed this domination to get the moral up for the upcoming season. Defense Mclaughlin,Button,Waldron played excellent, holding their attack of Haney and LaCocco scoreless. Last year they lit up their league. Jordan Marra played strong in net looking very confident. His counter part was a little shaky at times but this is his first appearance at collage level lacrosse. Attack was very good at ball movement. At times they tried to showboat with behind the back passes,that were thrown out of bounds. Overall team seemed to have a better chemistry then last years team. Only 111 days until the Spring season but who's counting.
downstatenylax1

New postby lax experience on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Defense was definitely 7, 16 and 35 for majority of first 3-4 qtrs, starting mid 2,4 and 25, 17 faceoff, attack was 8,24 and 36, lsm 6, goalie Marra (based on size) and the freshman (alternating qtrs). Since no rosters or updates on the schools site it's hard to tell whose who or changed numbers.
lax experience

New postby tunatime on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:57 pm

downstate...actually most of griffs oints came from attacks: jones 2G, minieri 3G, lococo 3A. other 3 griff goals by mids. but still you are correct, bing D look good on spot up D. griff goals in close came off quick passes with exception of jones wrap around from behind. but, as a griff fan, 2 things stood out: work at FO winning then pushing ball to the goal, and second attacks looking for & finding each other.
tunatime

New postby l 4 x on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 am

Anyone know the time for the second scimmage against Manhattan on Feb. 13th?
l 4 x

New postby downstatenylax1 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:28 am

I believe they play Dartmouth at 10am and Manhatthan at 2pm. Manhatthan and Dartmouth play each other in between.
downstatenylax1

New postby Penikese on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Does anyone have any information on the scrimmages next saturday?

My (imperfect) information now has Holy Cross joining Dartmouth, Manhattan, and Bing. I believe HC plays Bing and Manhattan. Manhattan plays Dartmouth & HC. Which would leave Dartmouth playing Bing & Manhattan; Bing playing HC & Dartmouth.(?)

Would love to hear any reports from the games.

Is it shorts weather in Binghamton?
If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers
Penikese

New postby l 4 x on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Anyone know how Bing faired this weekend?
l 4 x

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I