Hofstra Flying Dutchmen 2015

Hofstra Flying Dutchmen 2015

New postby HU34 on Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 am

With Hofstra only losing a handful of players from the 2010 team they should be poised to make another playoff appearance in 2011. However, just making the playoffs won't be enough. It is time the Flying Dutchmen advance to the Final Four. With the returning talent and Hofstra hosting the NCAA Quarterfinals, 2011 could be the year.
Last edited by HU34 on Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
HU34

Re: Hofstra Flying Dutchmen 2011

New postby LaxDeac on Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Seems like the team needs a little bit of an attitudinal adjustment. Hopefully this season was it, though missing the NCAAT might have been better for them going forward.
LaxDeac

New postby hounddog on Tue May 18, 2010 12:39 pm

gotta improve the ground ball stats vs the big boys cant get pushed around like that
hounddog

New postby nassaufan on Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm

We need to shake up the line-up, especially at midfield. Maybe switch Ford and Lincoln, or move Bentz to midfield and give incoming attackman Torin Varn from Ithaca a chance to start.
nassaufan

New postby dutchpride on Tue May 18, 2010 4:07 pm

HU34 wrote:With Hofstra only losing a handful of players from the 2010 team they should be poised to make another playoff appearance in 2011. However, just making the playoffs won't be enough. It is time the Flying Dutchmen advance to the Final Four. With the returning talent and Hofstra hosting the NCAA Quarterfinals, 2011 could be the year.

Plenty of returning talent but need to firm up a few spots to advance in the NCAA tourney.

1. Poles - need to get bigger, stronger and deeper at the LSM. Mojica is a good player but not the answer. He can't be taking 80% of the FO's on the wing. Physically, he can't muck it up with the elite teams. We need to pick up GB's between the lines and a top notch pole, a few of them, is a must. We took a huge hit this year due to Swarsen's ACL injury. He would have had a great year as the #1 LSM. Mullen looks the part, has great size and is athletic, but showed no aggression when given a few opportunities to play. He started Princeton game at close and ended up as 3rd LSM. Someone needs to light a fire under him. There's also a couple freshmen, including Caputo that may fill that role. Also a few recruits, Steven Bogert could be a good one. To compete with the elite 4 or 5 teams every year we need a LSM that can shut down middies. We don't have that, quite frankly, our LSM could not contain middies from Drexel, PSU & UMass this year. The best HU teams that advanced in the NCAA's all had a strong LSM, Orsen, Spallina, Allain etc....

2. Face offs - I think we're OK here. Antonidaes did a good job and will only get better. He's tough and adapts in-game technique to opponents move. I think he can be one of the best in the country as he matures if he gets the wing support. Wing play is not just GB's, it's positioning, strength and poise. We lacked most of that this season. Against the Terps Antoniades won several draws but wings were dominated. DeNapoli and Mojica were overpowered and could not box out.

3. Goalie - we'll be a bubble team again if we don't have better goalie play every game. Gvozden should have sealed his spot as the #1 with his performance against Maryland. Knowing he's the #1 may help his confidence his last two years. If he brings it like he did against Maryland we will win the CAA tourney.

4. Middies - this is the most crucial of all. Again, lots of young talent returning and some highly touted recruits coming in. Ford may be more valuble from behind instead of midfield. He can draw slides that Bentz can't. Bentz would be great on the crease. Lincoln can't come out of the box as midfield. He wants no part of picking up GB's between the lines. Not sure what the staff comes up with but any way you slice it they need to find one or two middies that can create slides to free up the attack. Early in the season we did just that but things changed when teams had the poles to shut down our middies. Maryland shut off our attack and refused to slide to our middies. Unfortunately, Stein & Loizeaux could not beat Maryland's very athletic short stick middies. The shut down LSM, Farrell, was on Ford. We struggled with Drexel and UMass because the middies could not create any offense. Who will step up at midfield next year? Is Loizeaux poised enough? He struggled against top CAA poles and was nonexistent against the Terps shorties. Mike DeNapoli? He started off strong but when teams put a pole on him he struggled. I like the second line, the three freshmen. Would love to see them get more time and the green light instead of just holding the ball until first line returns. All three need to hit weight room in the off season.

5. Leadership - have to think this played a big part in some of the bad losses this year especially on the road after having big leads. Hopefully seniors can step up next year. Army is a great example. Their last loss was a 17-2 embarrassing blow out at HU on March 30th. They have not lost since. There is no way you turn it around after a 15 goal loss without one or several players stepping up.

Hope I don't sound too negative. I do think we have a playoff team next year, CAA & NCAA, but agree with HU34, the FF is now the benchmark. To get the good seed and favorable first round match up similar to Stony Brook this year and our 2006 seed we need to win those regular season games blown this year. To accomplish that we need to plug a few of the holes above.
Last edited by dutchpride on Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dutchpride

New postby UKLaxfan on Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 pm

I saw two full games of Hofstra 2010 online, Johns Hopkins & Army games, they looked like a Final Four team in both those games.

They played aggressive on both ends of the field and pushed the ball on transition and moved the ball well on 6v6 making the extra pass and finding the cutters. They looked great in those games I don't understand how that team lost on the road to UMass, Drexel & Penn State.

Jet lag, travel sickness, home sick :confusion-shrug:

The biggest difference seems to be confidence maybe the new locker rooms at Shuart Stadium inspire them at home and they play with swagger. Whatever it is they are fun to watch when on, even the last few minutes vs Maryland when the game was over, they relaxed and scored 2 goals in quick succession. I hope they sort it out for 2011, as there will be some other senior laden teams to go up against and Hofstra definitely has the talent to make some noise.
2pontificate wrote:I'm old! I refuse to concede that I'm an old fuddy dud. My kids on the other hand think I'm an old idiot. My lovely wife just thinks I'm an idiot. I forget, what were we talking about?
UKLaxfan

New postby hounddog on Fri May 21, 2010 1:52 pm

ah , here is what they should do: call em the dutch , pride is weak : get ride of the yellow they look like a jones beach softball team and darken that blue : wear black high tops give that menacing look
hounddog

New postby 10stone5 on Fri May 21, 2010 4:59 pm

dutchpride wrote:...our LSM could not contain middies from Drexel, PSU & UMass this year...

It wasn't the middies. It was one attackman - Robert Church.

For the PSU game - what was bizarre to me was putting short sticks on the mids in O/T. Dolik put a brief juke on his middie, he slipped, and that was that.
10stone5

New postby Dutchman on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Wow! Talk about a Texas sized drought of posts... Well, here's some positive Dutch news. Incoming
recruit LSM Steven Bogart of La Costa Canyon HS, CA, has been named to the first team on the ALL CIF-
San Diego Squad. He was also named the conference Player of the Year.
More positive recruiting news is that Cody Marquis a 5'6" 150 attackman from Londonderry HS, NH will
be joining our incoming Sept 2010 class. Cody is also a member of the New Hampshire Tomahawks; he
showed he knows how to put the ball in the net by scoring 36 goals and 15 assists in his HS team's first 10
games.

Dutchman
hc57
Dutchman

New postby Lipta on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:05 am

Will Christian Scuderi be returning next year? I read somewhere that he was selected in the MLL draft. I also heard a rumor that Lincoln or Card did not have any more years of eligibility left, because of playing in Canada, like Ianucci. I am strongly hoping those rumors were false.
Lipta

New postby nassaufan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Scuderi is gone. Rumors are false.
nassaufan

New postby joemammalax on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:21 pm

I know there is alot of speculation/rumors out there but I heard at the county championships at Hofstra that the Palasek brothers were coming to Hofstra~any truth? If it is that would be awesome for Hofstra definetly difference makers on any team.
joemammalax

New postby realist12 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Bro,. Final Four is possible, but would be a great season for Hofstra. Expecting it is ludicrous. There are several out there expecting it as well and most of them are just as ridiculous. These days any playoff team can beat any othe rplayoff team. See Army-Syracuse and how close some of the otrher games were. Just because alumns want it doesn't mean it is a realistic expectattion.
realist12

New postby Trinity on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I had the Palaseks pegged for Penn State if Lars Tiffany went there. They'd love his run-and-gun offense. Maybe even if Cottle or Nagle gets the job. Part of an instant Happy Valley Revival.
Trinity

New postby insidelax on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:58 pm

joemammalax wrote:I know there is alot of speculation/rumors out there but I heard at the county championships at Hofstra that the Palasek brothers were coming to Hofstra~any truth? If it is that would be awesome for Hofstra definetly difference makers on any team.

But Hopkins
insidelax

New postby joemammalax on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:23 pm

insidelax wrote:
joemammalax wrote:I know there is alot of speculation/rumors out there but I heard at the county championships at Hofstra that the Palasek brothers were coming to Hofstra~any truth? If it is that would be awesome for Hofstra definetly difference makers on any team.

But Hopkins

that's harsh dude so much hating on the Palaseks whether you agree or disagree the limited time TPalasek finally was given second half of season he was the spark they needed. Hopkins lose will be somebody else's gain Any truth to them going to Hofstra?
joemammalax

New postby justdoit on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:57 pm

I think the posts were generally pretty positive on Tom Palasek this year, especially in the 2nd half. I think it's more the overbearing familial advocacy that many people are opposed to. :whatever:
justdoit

New postby insidelax on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:33 pm

joemammalax wrote:
insidelax wrote:

But Hopkins

that's harsh dude so much hating on the Palaseks whether you agree or disagree the limited time TPalasek finally was given second half of season he was the spark they needed. Hopkins lose will be somebody else's gain Any truth to them going to Hofstra?

Comment wasn't negative or positive, Hopkins was not good last year, you made it negative. They are not on the team so why speculate people did that last year about a rocky point kid and where is he now ? Not hating on anyone thats for the hopkins forum. I hope where ever they go they are happy.
insidelax

New postby grundoon on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:41 am

The Palasek's would be a terrific pick up for Hofstra.Hope this is more than a rumor.
“Now is the time for all good men to come to”.
“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities”.
grundoon

New postby dutchpride on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:31 am

Yikes!Tambroni @ PSU. Argubably the best coach in D1 moving to one of the biggest sleeping giants in the college game. This guy and PSU program are going to be a force to contend with for years to come.
dutchpride

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I