Johns Hopkins 2013

Johns Hopkins 2013

New postby WOMBAT on Sat May 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Placeholder. Pre-emptive strike to maybe reverse current luck.

Wombat
WOMBAT

Re: Johns Hopkins 2013

New postby jhu06 on Sat May 19, 2012 1:39 pm

1. put every position up for competition going into next year, don't care how many years they've been there. This includes durkin and poppleton. make them earn it.
2. At least one if not both of the assistants need to be fired. Jaemison deserves a bonus. the other 2 can go.
3. good riddance to the senior class. 3 playoff wins in 4 years.
jhu06

New postby jhu06 on Sat May 19, 2012 1:49 pm

who would be the candidates to replace dwan and benson?
jhu06

New postby navynavy on Sat May 19, 2012 2:04 pm

jhu06 wrote:1. put every position up for competition going into next year, don't care how many years they've been there. This includes durkin and poppleton. make them earn it.
2. At least one if not both of the assistants need to be fired. Jaemison deserves a bonus. the other 2 can go.

Navy guy here. With all due respect, you do not want to talk about your senior players like that, no matter how upset you are. It is just not the right thing to do. And, I have a hell of a lot of respect for Hopkins, as a school and as a lacrosse program.

I wish Navy had 3 playoff wins the last 4 years.
navynavy

New postby jhu06 on Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Navy players are different because of what they do for the country and I am sorry for the struggles of your program, but we did not lose today or last year or the year before or the year before by one goal in the final in the post season, we were manhandled in the 2nd round. this does not fly.

According to the washington times, the longest final 4 drought hopkins had between 1971 and 2008 was 2 years. this will be year 4. mr.dwan, mr. benson, your termination papers are printing.
jhu06

New postby Bluejay-fan on Sat May 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Decisions need to be made regarding the coaching staff and the offense. You can't blame teenagers for the inability of the coaching staff to make adjustments during the game. Refusing to press when the other team is obviously trying to choke the clock is indefensible.

The last four playoff elimination games have been horrific.

Thank you to our seniors.
Last edited by Bluejay-fan on Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluejay-fan

New postby johnkichu on Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 pm

jhu06 wrote:who would be the candidates to replace dwan and benson?

If we're going to talk about coaches, why not include Pietramala? For whatever reason, this coaching staff does not seem to get the best out of the players it has. Hopkins is not playing the beautiful game. Are kids just tuning him out? Today's game was shameful, and sadly, becoming all too familiar. Outplayed, yes, and out-coached, also. And if you can't motivate your team for a game like this - I don't know what to say.
John
JHU 83
johnkichu

New postby 10stone5 on Sat May 19, 2012 2:23 pm

navynavy wrote:
jhu06 wrote:3. good riddance to the senior class. 3 playoff wins in 4 years.

Navy guy here. With all due respect, you do not want to talk about your senior players like that, no matter how upset you are. It is just not the right thing to do. And, I have a hell of a lot of respect for Hopkins, as a school and as a lacrosse program.

I wish Navy had 3 playoff wins the last 4 years.

I've got to back up Navy guy here.
Consider, just for one, the injuries Boland came back from just to try and get in a complete senior year.
10stone5

New postby jhu06 on Sat May 19, 2012 2:30 pm

all you have to do is watch the post game press conferences and see the look on petro's face and zach palmer's face and john greeley's face when the tv caught him after he got hurt to know that there's an awful lot of good and care in this program and people we can be proud of. I just have no idea why a system that produced from 03-08 can't anymore in mid may. I don't like people losing their jobs, ever, but dwan and benson will be able to land.

also time to ditch the freshman mustache pictures on the hopkinssports.com site that are part of the first semester hazing. it's cute when you win. when you lose, not so much.
jhu06

New postby johnkichu on Sat May 19, 2012 2:34 pm

I hear you, jhu06, but there is a lot of "upset" out in Blue Jay nation right now. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that Hopkins SQUANDERED another year. Indulge us for a day or two to rant & rage.
John
JHU 83
johnkichu

New postby Bluejay-fan on Sat May 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Can't fire Petro. No coach worth hiring would go to a team that fired a coach like Petro. Not resigning him after his contract ends is one thing, firing the man in the middle of his contract would be doing more harm to the program than any poor quarterfinal performance ever could.

Now the assistants, absolutely nothing wrong with changes there, the offense has been problematic since Seth left and the class of '08 graduated.
Bluejay-fan

New postby jhu06 on Sat May 19, 2012 2:38 pm

the jameison hire was a great move. Poppleton and kennedy were fantastic for the most part this year.
jhu06

New postby johnkichu on Sat May 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, Boland would be looking for a job ...
John
JHU 83
johnkichu

New postby hoponboard on Sat May 19, 2012 2:40 pm

I can accept the fact that this Senior class did not have the leadership and talent to step up in big games. What I cannot accept is what I witnessed today. Continually getting beat on dodges, inability or lack of desire to pick up GBs, inability to get the attack involved for long stretches of the game and getting hit with a stall warning when Jays were trailing by six goals. Terps are not five star talented, but they are five star tough, fit and determined.

At the end of the season, Hopkins team was stripped of its identity by Maryland.
Last edited by hoponboard on Sat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoponboard

New postby johnkichu on Sat May 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Ok - I'm still pissed, but did see some glimmer of hope. Pelligrino is a keeper. He seemed to be the only one out there who cared enough to play hard. Everyone else seemed shocked by the level of intensity that MD brought to the game and at a loss.
John
JHU 83
johnkichu

New postby DocBarrister on Sat May 19, 2012 2:46 pm

jhu06 wrote:1. put every position up for competition going into next year, don't care how many years they've been there. This includes durkin and poppleton. make them earn it.

Your comment about the senior class is simply disgraceful. Both Boland and Burkhart battled numerous injuries to come back time and time again. This senior class may not have been the most decorated on the field, but I'm very proud of the Class of 2012.

DocBarrister 8-)
DocBarrister

New postby johnkichu on Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 pm

hoponboard wrote:At the end of the season, Hopkins team was stripped of its identity by Maryland.

Good point, hoponboard, but let me offer a slightly different take. I thought this game was going to come down to who wants it more, and clearly, MD wanted it more. This was a character game, and Hopkins displayed its lack of character - Jays had no identity to be stripped.
John
JHU 83
johnkichu

New postby WOMBAT on Sat May 19, 2012 3:04 pm

I am going to back up the Navy guy too.

There's been lots of entertaining lacrosse from this team. I'd like to forget the 2010 season completely, and the very end of the 2009 season (UVa at NMCMS). 2011 was more enjoyable to me than 2012, since they exceeded expectations until Denver ran over them. 2012? Again, loads of fun, but unlike last year, this team looked iffy from April, so today's end result was not surprising.

I appreciate all the athletes who get through four or more years of Hopkins. Good job and best wishes.

And to Chris Boland and his entire family (brother Kevin Jr and father Kevin and mom), thanks for being a huge part of the Hopkins Lacrosse Family over the past 12 years.

Coach Dwan is a great guy and not the problem. He's the good cop, the glue that holds the team together.

Thanks 2012, and now onward to fall ball and 2013.
Wombat
WOMBAT

New postby DocBarrister on Sat May 19, 2012 3:19 pm

A little perspective here ... Hopkins isn't alone in having a Final Four drought. After all, Coach Desko, who has won more national titles than any active head coach not named Tierney, hasn't been to the Final Four since 2009. Indeed, Syracuse has been bounced in the first round in two of the past three seasons. Coach Breschi at UNC keeps bringing in the best recruiting classes in the country, and has not made the Final Four. Princeton missed the tournament last season and got bounced in the first round this year. The Blue Jays' three quarterfinal appearances and one first round loss would be a golden age for most programs.

Having said that ... we all know Hopkins is not like "most programs." I'm sure everyone associated with the team is disappointed.

After a loss like today, it's easy to mock the potentially TRANSFORMATIVE Class of 2013. But the rising seniors have essentially carried this team for the past two years, and Hopkins would not have made the 2010 NCAA tournament had it not been for their play as freshmen. This class has already made an outsized contribution to the program.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that the rising seniors have not brought a national title home. Some have said the Blue Jays were limited by their two most recent senior classes. Maybe, maybe not, but the Class of 2013 won't have the same excuse ... they are one of the most heralded recruiting classes anywhere in the past four years. Their year, their time, has arrived. This Hopkins team is completely theirs now, both on and off the field. Time to bring a national championship back to Homewood.

They won't have to do it alone. I think the Classes of 2014 and 2015 are pretty talented. Hopefully, Ruhl and Castronova will return next season (we missed them both this year). The rising junior and sophomore classes are filled with athletic, talented players ... Reilly, Pellegrino, Guida, Benn, Enright, Stanwick, Schuler, Kennedy ... no lack of talent there.

Do we need any coaching changes? Coach Pietramala is one of the best in the game ... a Hall-of-Fame caliber coach. Anyone even thinking about getting rid of him is an idiot. Do we need to change offensive or defensive coordinators? I'm not convinced about that, but I do agree that some kind of change needs to be made. Frankly, what I think we need most is better coaching for the goalies. Goalie development has been lacking the last five years, and I don't think Petro and Dwan are doing an adequate job there. Maybe John Galloway could use a job a little closer to home.

I'm disappointed about this season, just like everyone else. Some changes need to be made, but I don't think they need to be major. Add a new goalie coach, just as we added a new faceoff coach, and I think that might do the trick. Don't know for certain what needs to be done, but I think the Blue Jays are very close to where they need to be to bring a national title home next season.

Wait till next year ....

DocBarrister 8-)
DocBarrister

New postby nrthcrosslax on Sat May 19, 2012 3:42 pm

With the improvement of Pellegrino over the second half of the season I think he can comfortably be given the LSM job and move Reailly back down low and increasing the athelticism of the close D.
Has Bassett been hurt? He just has not looked like the same goalie. With Schneider coming back from redshirt maybe he can push that goalie spot.
Ruhl and Castranova hopefully coming back will need to show not only 2011 form but even more.
Need a true stud on offense. Don't think that guy exists on the team right now.
nrthcrosslax

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division I