Coaching Carousel 2017

Re: Coaching Carousel 2017

New postby thatsmell on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Nads is biding his time until next year. The move from York Rd. to Charles St. is much easier...
:D
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby HopFan16 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:33 pm

My impression is that Michigan wanted Nads much more than Nads wanted Michigan. He may have been using these "negotiations" as leverage for yet another pay bump from Towson.

Curious who steps in to fill Conry's shoes as D coordinator at Maryland. Bernhardt? Dwan? Warne leaves GTown for his old role?
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby SteelHop2 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 pm

thatsmell wrote:Nads is biding his time until next year. The move from York Rd. to Charles St. is much easier...
:D

You have to think if Petro has another year like the last couple (in additional to be average to below average 8 of the last 9 years) that he isn't long for Homewood. Nads is doing the smart thing - I'm sure they talk because of being local and in the small coaching community but Nads and Petro's time at Hopkins only amounted to 1 year.
SteelHop2

New postby muleski on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:27 pm

Or it could be that Nads and family want to stay local, and that he had zero interest in Michigan, unless they backed up the Brinks truck. So maybe it was a very strong offer, but not quite nutty enough to entice him. Who knows? My hunch is that his family also probably weighed in and vetoed moving to AA. He will be in just as hot a demand in the coming seasons as he is now. There are a lot more potentially interesting jobs right at home. Wouldn't even need to pack a suitcase.

Homewood being just one. Have a hunch there will be one before too long in Annapolis. A lot of suggestion that if that one opens, Tillman would want it. Which means MD would want a coach......and so on, and so on.

Interesting that Michigan and Nadelen were in serious discussion, though. Indicates to me that the talk of not being wiling to pay is off base. Saying that, Conry likely a very good value and a smart, smart hire.

I'm interesting both in who Tillman brings on to replace Conry {or fill the job...tough guy to replace}, and equally interested to see how Conry builds his staff at Michigan.
muleski

New postby HopFan16 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm

muleski wrote:Or it could be that Nads and family want to stay local, and that he had zero interest in Michigan, unless they backed up the Brinks truck. So maybe it was a very strong offer, but not quite nutty enough to entice him. Who knows? My hunch is that his family also probably weighed in and vetoed moving to AA. He will be in just as hot a demand in the coming seasons as he is now. There are a lot more potentially interesting jobs right at home. Wouldn't even need to pack a suitcase.

Homewood being just one. Have a hunch there will be one before too long in Annapolis. A lot of suggestion that if that one opens, Tillman would want it. Which means MD would want a coach......and so on, and so on.

Interesting that Michigan and Nadelen were in serious discussion, though. Indicates to me that the talk of not being wiling to pay is off base. Saying that, Conry likely a very good value and a smart, smart hire.

I'm interesting both in who Tillman brings on to replace Conry {or fill the job...tough guy to replace}, and equally interested to see how Conry builds his staff at Michigan.

Agree with everything you said except the assumption that Nadelen will be in just as hot a demand in the coming seasons as he is now. He very well may be, but it's hard to know that. Towson could fall back into a slump where they miss the playoffs a couple years in a row and suddenly Nadelen's no longer the hottest name out there. Not saying that will happen—in fact, I expect that he'll continue to have success with the Tigers for years to come—but he likely knows that his value might not ever be higher than it is at this exact moment. Plus, who knows what the openings will be down the line and what other coaches he'll be competing with for them. He's smart to try and milk things now because there's no guarantee this lasts. He's #1 on a lot of teams' wish lists but that can be a fickle thing.
Johns Hopkins University Class of 2013
HopFan16

New postby muleski on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Guess we see it differently. It seems like Nadelen has handled himself very well in both the Princeton and Michigan searches. Not the right fit in either. Not like Amplo, who rumors have it went through the whole process, and basically leveraged offers to get hits at Marquette. Amplo I also a good guy, good coach, but the outcome just "feels" different. Having chaired "a few" search committees, and served on more, that type of activity does not improve your stock. If Harvard makes a change, and has a big budget, for example, I doubt if Joe is as hot as he was. Noting to do with his team.

Seems to me that Coach Nadelen has established himself as being a top quality coach, and guy. I can't see his stock sinking regardless of what movement the Tigers W-L record might have over the next few years. He's hot right now, but he'll still be able to get very serious consideration for ANY job that interests him in the coming years. There is no way that any search group would not bring him in to explore. And that's without even knowing who represents him. That's all he needs. To be in the room when he sells himself, clicks with them or doesn't, listens and understands their interests and lays out a rough plan or vision and explains how he has done it before. If you're the guy, then the dance and negotiations start.

My strong hunch is that he stays on a lot of short lists for quite some time.

Keep I mind.....one job that MIGHT interest him was open this year. Could be entirely different next year or the year later. I can see scenarios with a number of jobs open down the road.

We'll see. Just one guy's thinking. He seems so solid.
muleski

New postby Henfan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Nobody was hotter than Kevin Cassese at Lehigh after three great seasons '12 (14-3), '13 (12-5) and '14 (13-5). He took a team that basically never won and made them significant. What followed were three seasons where the Mountain Hawks didn't break .500. I would say that his stock has fallen since that time. He probably could have leveraged those three winning seasons into a bigger gig. But he didn't. I still think he is a great coach but the heat factor wore off. He certainly wasn't at the top of anyone's list this past season.

Who knows for sure what Nadelen will do over the next couple of years? If he has three straight sub .500 seasons he might regret not cashing in at Princeton or Michigan. But who knows? I personally think he will continue to kill it at Towson. Next year will be a big challenge though as he loses a TON of graduating talent.
Henfan

New postby arealax on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 pm

muleski wrote:Homewood being just one. Have a hunch there will be one before too long in Annapolis. A lot of suggestion that if that one opens, Tillman would want it. Which means MD would want a coach......and so on, and so on.

Not sure where this is coming from but Tillman talked to Navy last time they were looking for HC and decided to stay at Maryland.
Be The Best! #Beardmore Stadium
arealax

New postby 10stone5 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:19 am

Let's see about some of those Nadelen-Towson assumptions.

Towson has 19 losing seasons in 58 years, so a winning seasons 7 out of every 10 seasons. Overall, Tigers with a 58% all time win percent.

12 out of 58 seasons with 7 out of 10 wins (20%).

14 times to the NCAAs, once every ~3 years.
9 times in the 2000s.

3 final fours, 1 national title game.

Pretty sure Nadelen knows these numbers backwards and forwards. The odds are in his favor.
10stone5

New postby W&Llax5 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 am

Excellent research 10stones. Nadelen has a good thing going at Towson. Jim Valvano said "you should never leave happiness." Hopkins is a tremendous academic institution, and a storied lacrosse program. It is also an athletic program plagued by major dissension. The profile for a student athlete to get admitted in a sport other than lacrosse has become a major strain for those coaches. There are very few student athletes that meet the minimum 740-750 SAT score in reading and math that some coaches have to recruit their D3 athletes under at Hopkins. Yes they are able to fill their rosters, but frustration over the caliber of athlete they are bringing in is frustrating those coaches that remain. I have read some Hopkins posters on here saying "Nadelen should come home." I remember Jerry Schnydman (now retired and behind the firing of Tony Seaman) introducing Petro as the new Hopkins coach and saying "welcome home." Expectations from the fan base are unrealistic at Hopkins under the current landscape of lacrosse. It sounds like Petro has worn out his welcome home. Home for Nadelen may be at Towson. I think he is better off staying right where he is.
W&Llax5

New postby ILLaxFan on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Does anyone have information on where Eric Wolf (formerly at Harvard) went?
ILLaxFan

New postby The Orfling on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:08 pm

arealax wrote:
muleski wrote:Homewood being just one. Have a hunch there will be one before too long in Annapolis. A lot of suggestion that if that one opens, Tillman would want it. Which means MD would want a coach......and so on, and so on.

Not sure where this is coming from but Tillman talked to Navy last time they were looking for HC and decided to stay at Maryland.

muleski, you've posted a lot of excellent analysis and insights, so I always pay close attention! I am curious how much stock you actually put into "suggestion that if [the Navy Head Coaching job] opens, Tillman would want it." Is that just old grads spitballing after a few cold ones, or Tillman saying "I'd love to end up there some day," or something more concrete?

I would be somewhat skeptical of a realistic chance of Tillman-to-Navy in the next few years (even assuming a vacancy) because, as much as Tillman loves Navy and what it stands for, he's in his coaching prime (47 years old or so), has just won a national championship, and his program shows every sign of taking up semi-permanent residence in the top five. I don't think this is an analogue to Cindy Timchal, Maryland lacrosse legend looking to build a new program at Navy without expectations of national championships every year.

But I love Navy lacrosse and would love to be wrong. There's no question that in recent years the success when it was "Meade and Tillman" was notable.
The Orfling

New postby muleski on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi,

No basis of fact, no rumors, nothing. I know a number of people who are friends of Tillman's, including a former boss. I've heard them casually mention that he loved his time at the USNA as an assistant, loves the academy, and loves Annapolis. And, along with that they say "I think he'd love to have that job." Of course, the rumor when Sowell was hired, which I think was reasonably well founded, was that he was the highest paid coach in the game. Say he's top 3,4, or 5. So that piece would not hurt.

Now temper that with the fact that he MUST be very happy with his current situation at MD, as well as incredibly proud of what he's accomplished. Makes sense to me. So, I assume things are good. How can they not be? He's got one of the best jobs in the country, with the defending NC team.

My point was that this season we have had very few openings, and almost no dominos. If a couple or more desirable jobs in the State of Maryland opened up, down the road....in one season, you could see incredible activity and dominos. Just wild. This season was pretty darn boring.

My hunch would be that Tillman will be at MD for a good long time, and will win the NC again. Great coach, and evidently great guy. If and when Sowell moves on, who knows? No speculation until he moves on.

Absolutely nothing concrete. Not close.
muleski

New postby Outsidelookingin on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Heard Wolf will be in the green and gold next season.
Outsidelookingin

New postby Mojolax86 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Which green and gold?
Mojolax86

New postby Outsidelookingin on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:32 pm

LIU Post on Long Island. D2, however unconfirmed reports are a merger with LIU Brooklyn. Football going D1AA, MLax D1
Outsidelookingin

New postby arealax on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Be The Best! #Beardmore Stadium
arealax

New postby MaizenBlue on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Still a number of Assistant vacancies out there . . . kind of surprised how long it's taking to fill them (ours for quite a while now too). Any intel out there?
MaizenBlue

New postby MaizenBlue on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:05 pm

Ken Broschart lands at High Point! Have to admit it - I said he would not possibly coach at this level again.
MaizenBlue

New postby 88mdgrad on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Remaining Open Assistant Coaching Positions:

Harvard - 2nd Asst / Volunteer Asst
Maryland - Defensive Coordinator / Volunteer Asst
St Bonaventure - 1st Asst / 2nd Asst / Volunteer Asst
Michigan - 1st Asst / 2nd Asst / Volunteer Asst
Penn State - Dir of Lacrosse Ops

Others?
88mdgrad

Sponsor