Pre-Game Routines

Strategies, questions, games wanted (open dates) and discussions about coaching at any level

Pre-Game Routines

New postby Lax2727 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a boys high school coach and it seems my pre-game routine is a bit stale and since my teams always start slow in games, I'm looking to change things up. What do you think are the best drills to do for an effective pre-game?

This is what I currently do (in full gear):

Kids take a lap
Dynamic Stretch
Line Drills while I warm up the goalies - warmup so they can make the saves and gain confidence, only will rip from outside.
Shooting Drills while Poles/Goalies do footwork and Long Toss - Goalies are not in as I look for high rep shooting and don't want them to get pounded or lose confidence.
My shooting drills look to shoot on the run, time and room, and inside while alternating between two lines to work both hands Shoot on the Run down the alley - Simple Split and Go
Time and Room shooting - Two lines facing each other on the 20 hashes- Pass to a Grip and Rip
Bucket Shooting - Put the ball bag 7 yards in front of goal, two lines at X, one line dodges and feeds to other line who runs
around bag for a quick inside shot, feeder becomes next shooter
Scramble Drill - Simple 4v3 - quick ball movement and get the D to rotate, only poles and D-mids play D
May end with a quick walkthrough with the offense

Lately, I've been noticing many of my opponents avoiding full gear (for at least the first part) and line drills. Some even do 1v1s and competitive GB drills which I have typically avoided on game days in fear of injury...always low on numbers and stupid stuff has happened in the past.

Any help would be great!
Lax2727

Re: Pre-Game Routines

New postby hvfan on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:58 am

I think you have a good warm up. I do a lot of the same except for

Home games we go out about 1:30 before game. Helmet gloves only.
Players toss ball around. Do our ball bag drill. (Individual gb's). This goes for about 8-10 mins. Never more than 1/2 speed

Dynamic stretch/ then individual stretch for anything they feel they need more of 8 mins

I break team up in to 3 triangles. During this they will catch/throw, gb's. Lower numbers allow for more reps. 10mins

Shooting/ D work. 10 mins.
During all this, goalies are getting warmed up.

Then we go in, get gear on/ go over game plan

Come back out 20 mins before game. Go 4/3 to ramp it up and get ready to go.

On road- when we only have about 25 mins we go full gear, toss, ball bag drill. Stretch and straight into 4/3. My starting goalie, gets warmed up during everything till 4/3.
hvfan

New postby clipperlax on Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 am

skip the lap. you're much better to do a few drills that get their feet moving naturally.

skip the line drills (if they are old school line drills).

our offense does a 3-4 man, single line passing/scooping thing, then they'll do a star drill if there is extra time, then a couple shooting drills.
face-off guys go through their routine then join the offensive guys wherever they are.
defense does footwork and some variation of line drills (long, scoop and pass, catch and roll, stay in same line).

4v3 is good, but you have to make sure it's fast paced. a good way to prep for this is lots of west gennie in practice.
clipperlax

New postby Lax2727 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm

clipperlax wrote:our offense does a 3-4 man, single line passing/scooping thing

Could you please possibly explain this drill?
Lax2727

New postby NJLaxx11 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:37 am

we go straight into line drills - small lines with max reps. after that into dynamics and static stretch. after stretch into shooting then we go in and get full pads on. come back out into 4v3s and numbers.
NJLaxx11

New postby xan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 am

Hello,

I'm assuming by 4v3 you mean a traditional fast break drill where a middie carries from upfield and maybe a trailer is added. Instead of this, try just starting your 4 players already at the box. I stand in the middle of the box with all 3 defenders touching me with their stick, i toss the ball to any spot and they play from there. (Make sure you exit fast :D ) Less ramp up, no excess time wasted, move the defense score a goal. then I add 1 from each side and make it a 5v4 same idea. D starts inside with the crease player all touching him, I toss a ball anywhere from outside this time and play resumes.

Sometimes if needed this moves to a 6v6 walkthrough, or we just get a break on the goalie and go win a game :)
xan

New postby thatsmell on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Lax2727 wrote:
clipperlax wrote:our offense does a 3-4 man, single line passing/scooping thing

Could you please possibly explain this drill?

Single file line, first person starts with the ball, rolls it away, goes and gets the gb, does a big turn, gets their head around, passes to the next person in line, repeat. Switch lefty/righty.

There are other slightly more complicated versions available online.
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Lax2727 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Gotcha. Thanks!
Lax2727

Sponsor

Return to Coaching Lacrosse