“Fun” drills for new players?

Strategies, questions, games wanted (open dates) and discussions about coaching at any level

“Fun” drills for new players?

New postby walt on Thu May 31, 2018 11:32 am

Background...I coach a high school girls team. Our program is only 8 years old. We have low numbers in our 7th and 8th grade program and we’re trying to build it up by recruiting new players.

I plan to hold a few clinics over the summer for 7/8 grade girls who’ve never played. I want to sell the sport and so they’ll want to play next spring.

I need some ideas for some drills that can help teach but are also very fun. Keep in mind the audience will be a group of 7/8 grade girls who have never picked up a stick until they get there.

Got any ideas?

Thanks!
walt

Re: “Fun” drills for new players?

New postby Mike75 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:17 am

Anything to introduce stick skills. At this age, they've likely played other sports like soccer, field hockey or basketball, so defensive and offensive concepts should be easier for them to pick up. But its all for naught if they can't throw, catch, cradle, shoot or pick up ground balls.

IME, any drill than can be turned into a game or contest works well at making things more fun. Wall ball contests, partner passing contests. Shooting contests with targets in the cage. Hungry hippos. The good thing is that they should have sufficient levels of coordination to be able to pick up basic stick skills rather quickly.

Also, play music during practice (kids' choice).

Good luck.
Mike75

New postby HooDat on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Get creative about various forms of tag or keep-away that incorporate catching, throwing, off-ball movement, and defensive concepts. Don't take it all the way to forcing a take-away check but reward the team without the ball getting to the player with the ball with a good defensive approach.....
- Straight Sidewalls
- No offset
:text-freedom:
HooDat

New postby McMonkey on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:32 am

Hoodat nailed it :)

Keepaway without checking.

What I like to do is divide them into two teams and have them lie on the ground. I then call qualifiers such as:

1. everyone who has a dog
2. everyone who loves math
3. everyone who plays three other sports
4. everyone who has read an amazing book this year

They then run out into the box and play keepaway -- sometimes it is 5 v 2, whatever.

If I want to control the numbers, I look at cleats, stick colors, types of gloves, or use names -- begins with a vowel, etc.

But again, the game is keepaway without checking and, to add, free pickup on gbs.

Have fun!
McMonkey

Sponsor

Return to Coaching Lacrosse