NCAC 2018

Re: NCAC 2018

New postby oldtimelax on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:20 pm

New polls show Denison #2 and OWU 12th (US Lacrosse) and 15th (Coaches Poll). Kind of feel the Bishops should be higher, but beating #5 Cabrini on Wednesday should take care of that. How does Wesleyan (no wins vs. top 20 teams and a loss to previously unranked Coast Guard team) and Salisbury (two losses, including OWU) rank higher?
oldtimelax

New postby FannOLax on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:29 pm

D3 rankings seem to factor in too heavy a dose of recent years' results.
Meanwhile Hiram, with its 21-player roster, is 3-1 in OOC play, including an 11-goal win (mind-boggling to imagine the team on the losing end of that scoreline). So, maybe I was reading too much into Oberlin's OOC results.
FannOLax

New postby IDigClams on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm

oldtimelax wrote:...How does Wesleyan (no wins vs. top 20 teams and a loss to previously unranked Coast Guard team) and Salisbury (two losses, including OWU) rank higher?

I think Bates was ranked #19 when Wesleyan beat them.
IDigClams

New postby oldtimelax on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

With a bit of luck and some creative scheduling, the Hiram Terriers could end up with six wins this season (Houghton, Bethany and Wabash are all within reach) and could send their five seniors out on a high note. That would be nice to see!
oldtimelax

New postby nosy ned on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 pm

This is a week the NCAC can make some noise and go along way in securing its first real chance at a Pool C invite since the AQ.

The Big Red with its undefeated record and #2 national ranking take on #10 Amherst and #16 Dickenson on consecutive evenings at The Mustang Classic hosted by Stevenson University. But before that there is an equally important matchup between #15 OWU and #5 Cabrini! If the top of the NCAC can hold serve each of their resumes will demand pool C consideration IMHO come tournament time.

In addition Kenyon takes on #12 Roanoke as well this week but ...no disrespect to The Lord's... based on their play vs Salisbury, I think they're in over their heads again here. But you still need too give them credit for scheduling these 2 this year!

So here's wishing good luck to all the NCAC teams as they close out their respective OOC schedules and prepare for what looks like a fantastic league battle!
nosy ned

New postby oldtimelax on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Christopher Newport vs. Illinois Wesleyan could be a nice showcase for mid-west lacrosse this week...I think the Titans could win this game...especially if CNU players take this one as a gimmee....
oldtimelax

New postby takeaway on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm

If DU and OWU both take care of business this week I think Pool C is a lock...provided other conference games fall into place and neither loses to Hiram! Both are looking like top 10 teams.
takeaway

New postby nosy ned on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 pm

oldtimelax wrote:Christopher Newport vs. Illinois Wesleyan could be a nice showcase for mid-west lacrosse this week...I think the Titans could win this game...especially if CNU players take this one as a gimmee....

IWU may have the offense to to get this win but as I’ve said here before, I think they need to get a lot better defensively if they want start being considered nationally relevant. Just my opinion on what I’ve seen from them in the few games I’ve seen them. But, yes CNU would be a nice win for them ... or any team from the Midwest for that matter!
nosy ned

New postby FannOLax on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 pm

oldtimelax wrote:Christopher Newport vs. Illinois Wesleyan could be a nice showcase for mid-west lacrosse this week...I think the Titans could win this game...especially if CNU players take this one as a gimmee....

Definitely an interesting match-up: IWU's only loss being to OWU, while CNU is undefeated having taken down W&L and Hampden-Sydney. I doubt CNU will take this one for granted.
Meanwhile, the weather forecast says it will be windy with a high temp of maybe 40 in the Philly area Wednesday for OWU @ Cabrini.
FannOLax

New postby timeroom on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm

nosy ned wrote:

IWU may have the offense to to get this win but as I’ve said here before, I think they need to get a lot better defensively if they want start being considered nationally relevant. Just my opinion on what I’ve seen from them in the few games I’ve seen them. But, yes CNU would be a nice win for them ... or any team from the Midwest for that matter!

The way to beat IWU is simple: Hold their faceoff guy to about 60%, he is really the key to the whole thing and clear the ball in a systematic fashion that results in 85% to 90% success. They are in a 10 man ride pretty much the whole game They get possessions and transition off of face offs, limit that and their weak settled D will do them in. OWU in the 2nd half provided the blueprint.

IWU's scheme is not sustainable because their shots are so wild and their D so one dimensional good teams that can posses and move the ball (especially deep to the attackman in the 10 man ride) will carve them up. Its kind of like playing the triple option in football, you dont see it very often so its hard to prepare for in practice, but once you get past the noise and chaos and stick to fundamentals, you can carve it up.

They take so many bad shots and will turn the ballover, so you will get possessions off of that if patient Their interior D and slide packages are limited and real suspect so get them into that and you can control the pace of play and tempo
timeroom

New postby Stonegate on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am

Looking forward to the Cabrini OWU game. After the Gulls victory the Bishops are now outed and will not be overlooked. If the rankings are to be believed then Cabrini should be an outright favorite. Expect a close game. Regarding the IWU defense, they have been giving up double digits right along probably to some degree because they had such a comfortable lead giving up a score has not been much of an imperative. OWU was the exception. It will be interesting to see if CNU can contain their O. Again expect game to be close. CNUs one point win over E town is a concern. Woos loss to CC was not unexpected, but the size of the loss is. Like Oberlins trending upwards, wins can be contagious.
Stonegate

New postby FannOLax on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Kenyon @ Roanoke cancelled. "A winter storm warning with the threat of significant snow accumulation has caused the cancellation of the Lords lacrosse game at Roanoke College."
FannOLax

New postby lewistownlax09 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm

takeaway wrote:If DU and OWU both take care of business this week I think Pool C is a lock...provided other conference games fall into place and neither loses to Hiram! Both are looking like top 10 teams.

Yes possibly, but highly unlikely DU can win two back to back. Every win thus far has, very frankly, been a toss up. And when you play to only be in a toss up situation, well, you're not gonna keep hitting tails. I predict the coins falls heads side up against either Amherst or Dickinson (both top 15) this weekend and then fall to 5-9 spot in the rankings.

We should also address Denison's goalie issue. As far as I can tell they don't have a starter as of Tuesday morning. Without consistency at such a crucial position, the defense will likely fall into confusion at some point IMHO. We will see though. I could be wrong. I've been watching lacrosse for a very long time, so I could be wrong, but probably not.

Regarding OWU @ Cabrini, this is gonna be a fun one, folks. Will be making the trip to watch in person and expect it be tight. The Bishops with all their current momentum will definitely pull this one out. Prediction: OWU 14, Cabrini 11.
lewistownlax09

New postby Cnoll on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Why do you think Denison doesn’t have a starting goalie? They absolutely do
Cnoll

New postby seacoaster on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 pm

I think Poyfair has played and started most if not all of the games at goal for Denison, with Paras (?) getting some time recently.
seacoaster

New postby FannOLax on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:06 pm

With Kenyon @ Roanoke cancelled, the lacrosse world turned its gaze to Hiram, Ohio, where the Hiram College Terriers won their 4th straight game, this one 18-7 over Houghton College.
FannOLax

New postby lewistownlax09 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:35 pm

seacoaster wrote:I think Poyfair has played and started most if not all of the games at goal for Denison, with Paras (?) getting some time recently.

@Cnoll, Is Poyfair starting Friday?
lewistownlax09

New postby takeaway on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:46 pm

If they make the switch to Paras I don't think it will be an issue. Defense was pretty consistent and unconfused with him in net last season.
takeaway

New postby Cnoll on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 pm

lewistownlax09 wrote:
seacoaster wrote:I think Poyfair has played and started most if not all of the games at goal for Denison, with Paras (?) getting some time recently.

@Cnoll, Is Poyfair starting Friday?

All I know is that he has started all 5 games so far. Don’t know of any reason why he won’t. Unless he came down with the flu
Cnoll

New postby Stonegate on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:48 am

Can the Bishops survive vs Cabrini's cool hand Luke and company. Preseason POY candidate. Cabrini is motivated to get back to the tournament after losing to the Gulls last year. They were 17-4. Not as sure as poster above. Top 5 vs top 15. Home game for the PA team. A lot to overcome. We shall see. Oberlin 5-0. Will Roanoke game be rescheduled. Chance for redemption missed. Big Red goalie issue a Red Herring? Back up is last years starter. Seems like someone they can win with.
Stonegate

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III