Liberty League 2018

Re: Liberty League 2018

New postby ligoal on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Lawsuit over playing time, no, I am not kidding and behavior by the coach at the St. Law game was the final nail in the coffin. Should he been supported better by the AD? Without question. Jack left when they didn't match Colby's offer. Coach Hart decided to change careers and good for him. It's a great place to go to school. Saratoga has it all. A little more love from the AD would make it a great job.
ligoal

New postby LazyLightning on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 pm

The lacrosse team at Skidmore seems to be viewed as a curio by the Athletic Department. And to be honest the lacrosse players are not representative of the balance of the student body.

I don't recall if the same AD was there when Corcoran was relieved of his duties, but I do know he clashed with the ethos of the powers that be at the time.

Just dawned on me yesterday, that the problem may actually lie within administration.

Not sure Kear's shtick would go over at many places though.
Been talking a lot about less and less...
LazyLightning

New postby YappyHank on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Two big games as far as the league playoffs go. I'm picking Vassar over Clarkson - expect the Brewers to carry that momentum through to the playoffs. Vassar 10 Clarkson 5. Union could give the Larrys a scare. But the Dutchmen don't really have a quality win yet and need to prove that they can clean up the large number of turnovers they've had against the good teams. Guilty until proven innocent. SLU 12 Union 9.
YappyHank

New postby ligoal on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 pm

No ,different AD. And yes the athletes are much different than the main student body. But, they graduate and get great jobs with a Skidmore degree.
ligoal

New postby YappyHank on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Wow. Great job by Union. Give the coaches a lot of credit. Huge win down 7-2 at half. Massive improvement in turnovers. Probably gets them in to the playoffs. Huge win by Clarkson too, which probably gets them in too. Disappointing for Vassar who now need to run the table and get some help along the way. 8 out of Union’s 9 goals were assisted while only 2 out of 6 were for Vassar.
YappyHank

New postby actionalley on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Union showed a lot of character today with a big come from behind win over SLU . Union will definitely be in the playoffs.
actionalley

New postby Two4Laxer on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:06 pm

sguy9 wrote:
Looks like Tucker Kear is out as the head coach at Skidmore.

Shocker....

Kear’s always been his own worst enemy. Sandler understood it, Hart too, most people do. Kear abruptly left Bard during fall ball 2014, then Dartmouth during fall ball 2015, and now Skidmore during spring 2018. Not a shocker, he just not going to fit at academic-first schools.

I’ve seen Skidmore a couple of times this year, they have plenty of athletes. A lot of Pat Hart seniors. But the offensive scheme is too basic. There is no off-ball movement, no off-ball play at all, just a midfield weave. When Skidmore scores, it’s usually in unsettled situations, which is when their athletes take over. Skidmore does little to disrupt the other team’s D and costs themselves a lot of scoring opportunities. I don’t know why they’re not doing more with those kids.

Also seems like a number of returning players from last year’s team didn’t return. Last year, Lucas, the freshman from Longmeadow, led the team in scoring, this year, he’s barely been seen. Also, Legeza was one of the top goal-scoring middies in the LL last year (I think he’s close to 100 points for his career), but this year Skid has him running D-middie and 2nd/3rd O-line middie? The strength of Skidmore’s D for four years has the goalie, Bahgaun, and he’s been benched the last couple of games. A lot of strangeness that doesn’t help a program return to a winning tradition.
Two4Laxer

New postby Tigerlaxguy on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:52 am

I've read with interest many of your comments regarding the termination of Coach Kear at Skidmore. I haven't given the Thoroughbreds much thought over the years as a mostly middle of the road team within the LL lax landscape. Which brings me to my point. I did attend yesterday's RIT vs Skidmore game and I did notice a change in the flow compared to other blowouts by the Tigers and it speaks directly to your points mentioned above. Although Coach Kear was no longer on the sideline, his presence was in full view with the conduct of his former team. There was a lot of chirping before and during the game and the accompanying undisciplined play. I mean, you are playing the #1 team in the nation and you are running your mouth like you belong in the discussion. Down 13-2 at halftime, 16-4 near the end of the 3Q, losing the FO battle 23/5 and GB's 46-18, maybe you need to dial it back a bit. Instead it just escalated. This speaks volumes. Coach Coon normally pulls his starters in a game like this and he did for the most part, but then reinserted them at the end when the on field shots continued. Again, I was not aware of the issues you guys bring forward in your timely posts, but I have to agree that you are spot on about a Skidmore team that apparently takes on the personality of their coach. Much like the antics down at Stevenson under coach Cantabene, which I've had the displeasure of watching too many times over the past few years, the players soil the reputation of their school, but most importantly, themselves by acting like a bunch of thugs and ruining this beautiful game we all love. Possibly, this was the Genesis of the college's decision to remove Coach Kear from his position. Skidmore is a wonderful college with a fine academic reputation and deserves a lacrosse program that mirrors this excellence. Hopefully, a new coach will bring that to Saratoga Springs.
Tigerlaxguy

New postby LazyLightning on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

Two4Laxer wrote:
sguy9 wrote:
Looks like Tucker Kear is out as the head coach at Skidmore.

Shocker....

Kear’s always been his own worst enemy, he says and does things he shouldn’t. Sandler understood it, Hart too, most people do. Kear abruptly left Bard during fall ball 2014, then Dartmouth during fall ball 2015, and now Skidmore during spring 2018. Not a shocker, he just not going to fit at academic-first schools.

I’ve seen Skidmore a couple of times this year, they have plenty of athletes. A lot of Pat Hart seniors. But the offensive scheme is too basic. There is no off-ball movement, no off-ball play at all, just a midfield weave. When Skidmore scores, it’s usually in unsettled situations, which is when their athletes take over. Skidmore does little to disrupt the other team’s D and costs themselves a lot of scoring opportunities. I don’t know why they’re not doing more with those kids.

Also seems like a number of returning players from last year’s team didn’t return. Last year, Lucas, the freshman from Longmeadow, led the team in scoring, this year, he’s barely been seen. Also, Legeza was one of the top goal-scoring middies in the LL last year (I think he’s close to 100 points for his career), but this year Skid has him running D-middie and 2nd/3rd O-line middie? The strength of Skidmore’s D for four years has the goalie, Bahgaun, and he’s been benched the last couple of games. A lot of strangeness that doesn’t help a program return to a winning tradition.

The administration wasn't aware of his early departures from Bard and Dartmouth?
Been talking a lot about less and less...
LazyLightning

New postby YappyHank on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm

So, it looks like the playoffs are all set with Union and Clarkson taking the last 2 spots. Union seems to be peaking at just the right time and could make some noise. Is there a scenario for either Vassar or Skidmore to get in?
YappyHank

New postby Mortimer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Skidmore can still get in if they beat Bard and Vassar and Union loses their last 3 games. Vassar can still make it too if they win their remaining LL games
Mortimer

New postby Big Eyed Fish on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:56 pm

I was referring more to the coaching staff in general, assistants included. 2010 was the last time that Skidmore had a head-assistant pairing for more than a year.

Pretty sure Hart's assistant was there for 2 years. He's a cortland guy, went to Amherst after Hart left and is now at Penn State. Reasonable sounding candidate for the job.
Big Eyed Fish

New postby YappyHank on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Mortimer wrote:Skidmore can still get in if they beat Bard and Vassar and Union loses their last 3 games. Vassar can still make it too if they win their remaining LL games

I guess it’s possible that Union, Vassar and Clarkson could all wind up with 3 league wins. But,with union having the head to head against clarkson, clarkson having the head to head against Vassar and Vassar having the head to head against union. Who gets in?
YappyHank

New postby Winnerswin on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 am

Union will get in, they deserve the opportunity.
THE Winner
Winnerswin

New postby Fast Break on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Winnerswin wrote:Union will get in, they deserve the opportunity.

Union will get in if they win at least one more LL game. If not, I'm not sure there is a tie breaker in the process for "deserving" the opportunity to play.

Upsets are possible. But, I think it is reasonable to predict that Union finishes, at least, 4-4 (Win vs Vassar) and Clarkson at 3-5 (Loses to RPI/ITH). If the above proves true, that would leave a chance for Skidmore to finish @ 3-5, but the point is moot, as the tiebreaker would go to Clarkson. Union #5 / Clarkson #6

Can't find anything on LL Website...Does anyone know the complete Tie Breaker process?

Seems there is one Cinderella Scenario. If Vassar wins out against Skidmore and Union, that would leave a good chance that Union, Clarkson, and Vassar finish at 3-5. Head to Head tiebreaker decision provides no result. Next (Not Sure), but I think they go to cumulative record vs teams above the TIE. Which would put Union in the #5 Seed spot with probable 1-3 Record vs top 4...Clarkson and Vassar likely would be 0-4 in this scenario.

What is next?

WOW, wouldn't that would be something if Vassar could take the #6 Seed!
Fast Break

New postby LaSallelaxer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Typically tie breaker with three is head to head. If all at 3-5, Clarkson 2-1 and Vassar v Skidmore winner would be 2-1. Union out as 1-2 against the others. Moot if Union wins one of last three
LaSallelaxer

New postby Fast Break on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

LaSallelaxer wrote:Typically tie breaker with three is head to head. If all at 3-5, Clarkson 2-1 and Vassar v Skidmore winner would be 2-1. Union out as 1-2 against the others. Moot if Union wins one of last three

If three teams, wouldn't there be only 2 games per team in the head to head comparison?....so in our pretend scenario of Union, Clarkson and Skidmore/Vassar at 3-5. Union beat Clarkson...Clarkson beat Vassar/Skidmore...Skidmore/Vassar beat Union. So, whichever of the 3 of the teams that are tied would have head to head record of 1-1. Right?

If I'm correct, curious what are the next tiebreakers in the process?
Fast Break

New postby Mortimer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Usually the next tiebreaker in a three way tie with even head to heads would be each team’s record against the teams above them. In this scenario, Union’s win over St Lawrence would loom large. However, I have been unable to find the official LL tiebreaker rules, so this is only my speculation, but it does seem to be the fairest way
Mortimer

New postby LaSallelaxer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Woops, would be a four way tie and it can't happen. Definitely more interesting with the extra playoff spots this year. Good stuff
LaSallelaxer

New postby actionalley on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:46 pm

RPI 8 Union 4
actionalley

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III