Babson 2019

Babson 2019

New postby Middkid on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am

Babson announces new coach. Lots to like. Knows the New England lax community from time as Wellesley HS coach, so should be able to continue to recruit good local talent. Played and coached in D1 so know the level of commitment required/expected from college athletes. Video announcement stressed his ability to succeed with recruiting at Babson (and I am biased--I think Babson sells itself). Starts with some good players. Needs an assistant who can close a recruit. As we all know, you have to both recruit talent and coach it. I am sure he can coach them up. His experience in HS did not require recruiting, so hopefully Babson will supplement him with a great young guy who can get talent to commit to the school. Let's get behind him and cheer for Babson to get to the next level.
Middkid

Re: Babson 2019

New postby remote on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am

So you replace your all time winningest coach with a HS Coach? And because he was a Volunteer at BU for a year and he played at Brown he is a great choice?

Doubt this will be considered an upgrade when the dust settles.

Seems to me this AD at Babson did not do his due diligence with this hire. I know for fact that there were many successful D3 Head Coaches and D1 Coordinators interested and they went with a Volunteer/HS Coach.
remote

New postby beaverdamned on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 am

I'm going to get behind whoever is leading the boys but really scratching my head on this one. How can you let a great coach who completely turned the program around (on and off the field) get away, then try to replace him with a high school coach? It looks like the AD is too busy trying to beg people for money for the rec center to pay attention to what is good for the student athletes.
The good news is Rocky is taking over a team loaded with young talent and won't need to kill himself recruiting this year with only 3 or 4 seniors on the squad.
Good Luck, Go Beavers!
beaverdamned

New postby Middkid on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 am

Babson teaches ETA, Entrepreneurial Thought and Action. One of the tenets of this thinking is the difference between Predictive Logic and Creative Logic. Predictive Logic is following the traditional trends and actions expected. In this case, hiring a young D1 Assistant with a strong playing and coaching pedigree (e.g., a Peter Burke--a Holy Cross Assistant just named Interim Head Coach), or a D3 head coach looking to trade up (albeit, when you look at the D3 coaches who have ever won a national championship--not that this should be Babson's current target--one sees that there are only a few who have ever won). The problem with Predictive Logic is it makes you better, but not great. To get to great takes a long term framework of continuous improvement/upgrades that can take 3 coaching generations or ~20 years. Creative Logic is understanding the Predictive Logic and developing a plan of action that disrupts the current logic to create a unique competitive advantage. Two examples of this would be Middlebury with Quinn and Tufts with Daly--both won national championships and had never played the game (and probably would have been thought of as "bad hires" at the time). Selecting a very successful, multi national champion winning D3 coach for a D1 program is also considered outside the normal/predictive logic--such as Daly at Brown. And, if one reads the Brown thread at the time of Daly's hire, it was not universally loved. The trouble with Creative Logic is that it is, in the words of the Private Equity world, a "swing for the fences" investment thesis approach. It could either work or fail spectacularly. The reason for pursuing Creative Logic is because one realizes that Predictive Logic will probably never get to the desired destination. So, "fortune favors the bold" and "there is no second place, only the first loser." Babson's hire of Batty is clearly not predictive logic. Yes, it is a gamble to move away from your winningest coach (although the bar was low when the prior coach entered the arena) to a HS coach. I will get behind the selection (although, in fairness to Batty, he does need an assistant who has recruiting experience) and see if the creative Logic approach behind this decision can get Babson to win the NEWMAC (something Coach Gorman, despite his successes in the nine years with the program, was unable to achieve)--which is the only reasonable target on which Babson should be focused.
Middkid

New postby nosy ned on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am

Who would've predicted that a response to this question would be so creative! Well done Middkid!
nosy ned

New postby sguy9 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am

Agree, well done MiddKid. I don't agree with this particular hire. But, I do agree with being creative when hiring. We will see how this one works out. A great assistant will be key here.
sguy9

New postby beaverdamned on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Wow, playing the ETA card? I hope you're right Midd but I doubt that is what happened here. Seams less like creative/risk taking thinking and more like an AD looking for an safe hire that will fall in line because he is satisfied with mediocrity. I'm betting the goal is to raise more money not get more wins.
I hope I'm wrong but an AD that was fired from BU, picking a coach that was fired from an avg high school then spent a season as a volunteer at BU doesn't look like outside the box, or progressive thinking to me. Looks more like an easy/lazy hire.
Maybe the Babson job didn't draw as many quality candidates as the last search did and Rocky really was the best choice? I don't have any inside info so I can't say. I'm sure when I get the next call for cash they will tell me how lucky we are to get him. At the end of the day, with the returners there now and the first years they have coming in this fall an elusive NEWMAC championship should be the goal. They did share the regular season championship last year so it would take a massive failure for my Beavers to fall too far.
Good luck Rocky and GO BEAVERS!
beaverdamned

New postby reallybored on Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:56 pm

So a couple of things I would like to point out and apologies that this is more a stream of consciousness than a business paper like Middkid.

First of all I have no idea why the AD is getting ripped here. Since the AD has been hired he has brought Babson its first National Championship since the 1980s and has also led Babson to a Top 5% finish in the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup for the first time ever (if you don't know what that is - its the national ranking of all 450 schools D3 schools ranking their overall sports program). Last year Babson more than doubled the total points than it has ever done before. Link below.

http://www.babsonathletics.com/general/ ... 0601i6zp0d

So I don't think it is really fair to say that he is looking to "raise more money than to get wins."

Second, I wouldn't call Wellesley a "average" hs program. It is generally considered one of the best programs in MA / NE. I will admit he did not have a strong last 3 years there (what have you done for me recently) but for a while there he has had great success (as shown by his track record a 69% win rate over 10 years....do you know who else has a 69% win rate Bill Belichick (and I won't sit here and let you bad mouth Belichick!)

As noted here are some of the reasons why I think this is an excellent hire.

- He knows the area / local kids who are going to be good. While he hasn't recruited, he certainly knows where to find players since he has been playing against them the last 10 years. He should already have the connections with those schools.

- I've talked with a couple former players at BU / Wellesley and all of them love him. This is going to help fuel Babson recruiting even more. This is something that Babson really missed in the past couple of years, while Gorman did a great job recruiting the national brand he never really connected and built his network in the local community. I remember going to the Govs / MX game a few years back and every NESCAC / Ivy league coach was there recruiting, where was Gorman? I'm equating this hire to if Babson hired a Ned Herter from Middlesex or Peter Bidstrup from Governors, the caliber of recruits it would get in the area would jump because they are well known and respected in the area. Not only does Batty know the local public school due to Wellesley but also he is a NMH (go hoggers!) alumni so knows the founders league well. You are getting a coach that knows both the prep school and public school area in MA. Time will tell if he knows the area outside of NY.

- Based on the interview it looks like Batty will do a good job preparing the team as he discussed that in detail. If you have been around the Babson lacrosse team you know that Gorman never put together any sort of preparation document on the other team. Sure he knew who their best players were statistically but he didnt have a report that told his players if the opposing player was a righty or lefty, what type of zone the other team runs, etc. He was the classic "the other team changes their game to us we don't worry about the other team" type of coach.

- We all talk about how great Gorman was, but lets look back to when Babson hired him and how much has RIT gotten better or worse since he has left. You could make the argument they have gotten better. Since he left RIT won a national championship and while Gorman ran the offense there, does anyone want to raise their hand and say RIT offense has declined since Gorman has been there? A lot of these assistant coaches from top programs look impressive but their stats are really just an indication on the HC and the history of the program (i.e. RIT has always had a dominant offense so any offense coach coming out from there is going to look like a genius).

- Gorman has done some great things at Babson for running the offense they did have the fewest TOs in the league, top 3 goals scored, man up, and clearing. But I also just see huge rooms for improvement. Finishing last in the conference on shots on goal percentage and and 6th in shot percentage (% of shots that go in) is ridiculous. You are telling me that a younger program like Emerson is able to shoot the ball more efficiently than Babson - to quote Federal Judge Leon in the ATT / Time Warner deal "poppycock!" I think Coach Gorman is a good coach but good is the enemy of great.

- Let's call a spade a spade - Babson wasn't going to pay for a top coach - that's not up to the AD to decide that is the school. They weren't going to persuade a Daly to jump ship from Tufts and come like Brown was going to do or how Amherst stole Thmson from Colby. They weren't going to convince a NESCAC or Centennial Coach (or at least a good one) to come to the NEWMAC (although it is getting better). As MiddKidd said why not try something new out.
reallybored

Sponsor

Return to Men's - Division III