ODAC 2019

ODAC 2019

New postby Nothinbutthelax on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Few more weeks B4 the kids are back in school.
I’m bored and am lax deprived so I looked into the stats of the big 4 and their newest alumni...

HSC graduated 17 players.
They lose 54% of last years goals, 58% assists, 59% GBs and 68% CTs..
Ian Levin (A) Hunter Brown (M) Chandler Shaheen (M) & Conner Pool (A) were #1, 2, 4 & 6 leading scorers.
6middies and 6poles depart.
Marshall Via, Zach Leitner, Kent Henry and Dylan Curry and Phil Mollica all saw significant time on the defensive end.
Lots of production and leadership lost..

LC graduated 14 (1 had left the team mid season).
They lose 23% of last years goals, 28% assists, 26% GBs and 30% CTs.
The impact players gone were Colin McGuire (M) leading scorer and the key to their ODAC championship. Goalie CJ Santora. They also lose some depth in 4th pole Zach Thompson, 2nd LSM Trent Parker and man-up sniper Shane O’Brien (A) who was 6th leading scorer.
The attack remains intact and should be lethal. 1 & 2 SSDM, the best LSM in ODAC and 3 starting low Poles..
A very capable Senior goalie will step in and they return a red shirted Middie who could have ran 1st line (M) last year.
They will be tough to dethrone...

NOKE graduated 10
They lose 24% of last years goals, 30% assists, 37% GBs and 42% CTs
Their attack also remains intact and will be dangerous.
IV Strucker (M) #2 leading scorer was a special player hard to replace. Hayden Miler and Daniel Krauit Wil also be missed at midfield.
The biggest losses are the poles. Conn Curry, Robbie Moore and Joey Russell were all starters, big and tough=who reeked havoc.. I suspect Ian Davis will have a... more difficult year in the 6x6 with these guys gone but with only 10 graduates they have more looking to and capable of step up..

W&L graduated only 7
They lose 27% of last years goals, 22%=assists, only 13% GBs and 14% CTs
Clearly they return the most statistically but do lose Sam Dardani #2 leading scorer and Jones Veith #4 but I suspect there is plenty of talent i their 17 and 15rising Juniors and Soph’s. Sam was a gamer though..
Kyle Gifford was an anchor low D and will also be tough to replace..
AJ is the best Player in ODAC and maybe in D3.
They will be battled tested early OOC and have all ODAC games but 1played at home..

I foresee W&L hosting again and wining ODAC vs. LC but anything goes...
Nothinbutthelax

Re: ODAC 2019

New postby scottharris on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Nothinbutthelax wrote:Few more weeks B4 the kids are back in school.
I’m bored and am lax deprived so I looked into the stats of the big 4 and their newest alumni...

HSC graduated 17 players.
They lose 54% of last years goals, 58% assists, 59% GBs and 68% CTs..
Ian Levin (A) Hunter Brown (M) Chandler Shaheen (M) & Conner Pool (A) were #1, 2, 4 & 6 leading scorers.
6middies and 6poles depart.
Marshall Via, Zach Leitner, Kent Henry and Dylan Curry and Phil Mollica all saw significant time on the defensive end.
Lots of production and leadership lost..

LC graduated 14 (1 had left the team mid season).
They lose 23% of last years goals, 28% assists, 26% GBs and 30% CTs.
The impact players gone were Colin McGuire (M) leading scorer and the key to their ODAC championship. Goalie CJ Santora. They also lose some depth in 4th pole Zach Thompson, 2nd LSM Trent Parker and man-up sniper Shane O’Brien (A) who was 6th leading scorer.
The attack remains intact and should be lethal. 1 & 2 SSDM, the best LSM in ODAC and 3 starting low Poles..
A very capable Senior goalie will step in and they return a red shirted Middie who could have ran 1st line (M) last year.
They will be tough to dethrone...

NOKE graduated 10
They lose 24% of last years goals, 30% assists, 37% GBs and 42% CTs
Their attack also remains intact and will be dangerous.
IV Strucker (M) #2 leading scorer was a special player hard to replace. Hayden Miler and Daniel Krauit Wil also be missed at midfield.
The biggest losses are the poles. Conn Curry, Robbie Moore and Joey Russell were all starters, big and tough=who reeked havoc.. I suspect Ian Davis will have a... more difficult year in the 6x6 with these guys gone but with only 10 graduates they have more looking to and capable of step up..

W&L graduated only 7
They lose 27% of last years goals, 22%=assists, only 13% GBs and 14% CTs
Clearly they return the most statistically but do lose Sam Dardani #2 leading scorer and Jones Veith #4 but I suspect there is plenty of talent i their 17 and 15rising Juniors and Soph’s. Sam was a gamer though..
Kyle Gifford was an anchor low D and will also be tough to replace..
AJ is the best Player in ODAC and maybe in D3.
They will be battled tested early OOC and have all ODAC games but 1played at home..

I foresee W&L hosting again and wining ODAC vs. LC but anything goes...

H-SC also loses Tre Williams, Mollica didn't really play until Tre got hurt. As well as Mitch Renfrow in goal and Wilson Booth on face-offs.
scottharris

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 am

Great rundown NBL. I for one don't think W&L will miss a beat due to graduation and will be even better this coming season, This current jr class could have an explosive year. Face offs and goal play will be at a very high level...There are also one or two sophs that could see significant improvement at midfield and LSM. There may be a surprise or two from the incoming freshman, specifically Spencer Kriss, Ted Bentley,Garrett Mize ,Jonathan Hsu and transfer Stu Greenspon. Looking to a big year, final 4 at a minimum
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby FannOLax on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Hmmm, Washington & Lee, Final 4... I know the Generals made it there in 1987. Have they made it more recently? If so, when? In any case, I'm hoping to catch a game in Lexington, VA next spring.
FannOLax

New postby nosy ned on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Fann you seem to be dismissive of the idea that W&L could make a run to the Final Four. It’s absolutely an attainable goal for them. I’ve seen them play in person against Denison the past few years and they remind me of the Denison team that made the Final Four 2 years ago with Rooney. Witherell is that good and he could lead them there. I look forward to seeing the Generals in Granville this year ... last years tilt was a spirited game between 2 very good teams and I think this years version will pit 2 VERY GOOD offenses against each other .... and with the new shot clock .... wow... I think this will be must watch D3 lacrosse.
nosy ned

New postby FannOLax on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Not dismissive at all; just wondering if they've been there since 1987. The older Witherall brother (AJ) is indeed very good, and it looks like he could have a very good, full supporting cast... and W&L did beat Gettysburg last year. I go to Lexington somewhat regularly and hope to see the 2019 Generals in action.
FannOLax

New postby suthunlax on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:18 pm

They lost in the national semis in 2000 and 2002.

Final four is doable; they have to remain healthy and have to really gel as a team. Wesleyan won this past spring as a team, running the table on bigger/stronger/faster/more skilled teams (Tufts, RIT, Sal) that on paper should have crushed them.

Witherell is really good, but he is the only player that immediately stands out as a potential first team AA. Way back when, Stagnitta had both Matt Dugan (national attackman of the year/outstanding finisher) and Pope Hackney (first team AA middie and possessor of a ridiculously good split dodge...and pre-offset head to boot) on the field at the same time. Both game changers and IMHO both better than Witherell.

McCabe is an excellent coach. He will need to get the rest of his first 20 up to speed with Witherell for them to get to the final four; there were glimpses last year so it is definitely within the realm of possibility with the returning upperclass players a bit more seasoned (and hopefully hungry for continued success). The ODAC is theirs to lose.
suthunlax

New postby MrLax2U on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Shout out to ODAC posters;
HSC, LC and RC play Salisbury on regular rotations. Why not W&L? The teams last played 5/11/13.
MrLax2U

New postby Nothinbutthelax on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:34 pm

LC, NOKE and HSC been playing Da Gull’s since the 80’s. Good question why W&L not scheduled. Tight OOC scheduling?
I agree W&L may have the players this year.. AJ’s don’t come around often.. If they can go deep, they'll meet
With the rule changes depth, playing fast and coaching will be key. Attack can actually ride hard and 2 way middies may be relevant again. SSDM’s and poles with great stick skills creating offense in transition will make it fun to watch.
Nothinbutthelax

New postby valaxfan on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 am

suthunlax wrote:They lost in the national semis in 2000 and 2002.

Final four is doable; they have to remain healthy and have to really gel as a team. Wesleyan won this past spring as a team, running the table on bigger/stronger/faster/more skilled teams (Tufts, RIT, Sal) that on paper should have crushed them.

Witherell is really good, but he is the only player that immediately stands out as a potential first team AA. Way back when, Stagnitta had both Matt Dugan (national attackman of the year/outstanding finisher) and Pope Hackney (first team AA middie and possessor of a ridiculously good split dodge...and pre-offset head to boot) on the field at the same time. Both game changers and IMHO both better than Witherell.

McCabe is an excellent coach. He will need to get the rest of his first 20 up to speed with Witherell for them to get to the final four; there were glimpses last year so it is definitely within the realm of possibility with the returning upperclass players a bit more seasoned (and hopefully hungry for continued success). The ODAC is theirs to lose.

I think its premature to put this team in the Final 4 but its good to aim for that. I was at the Dickinson OT loss, and I saw a Generals team that could have won that game minus 2 failed passes that led to transition goals. BUT in that game, both W&L great Sam E., and I agreed, Coach McCabe has the program direction going up, and the team confidence was very good. Need to keep that momentum this year to have chance. But, suthunlax has a good point about what we had back in 2000 and still just made it to the Semis, although that game was a winnable game against Salisbury, losing 10-9, same score as Dickinson. We hope the new kids can contribute but won't know until Feb. Did anyone have Wesleyan winning in Feb, no one picked them but they were playing great ball in the end and served them well. Sure hope the Generals can do the same. Would prefer not picking them, and let them come in under the radar.

On another note, had a good visit last week with former W&L AD, Coach Bill (Mac) McHenry, who seems to be doing well in retirement. Coach Mac was there in the heyday of great Generals teams, and we talked about what it takes just to be a contender, and how some luck is involved, so hoping for some this spring. Whatever happens, looks to be exciting times in D3 lax this Spring, 2019, lets hope Lexington is the same.

valaxfan
Go Generals!!
valaxfan

Sponsor

Return to Men's - Division III