4%
Bates
2%

Total votes : 261

Re: NESCAC 2009

New postby maximumlax on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Bad Knees,

Agree about Tufts depth...

But to get the record straight, Jordan Yarboro, Tufts LSM was FIRST Team All NESCAC for past two seasons, as well as First Team All-New England last season...
maximumlax
maximumlax

New postby bad knees on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Max,

I checked the NESCAC web site, and they say Jordan was first team in 2007 and second team in 2008.

Then I looked closer and saw that I was wrong about Matt Harrigan -- he did not achieve all-conference honors in 2008, although he was first team in 2007.

Still, I think we both agree that the Jumbos are a strong team without a weak, or even average, link. I think they are going to stomp Trinity this weekend. I know Trinity likes to slow things down, and has a nice record, but I see the Jumbos winning by 10. They are really rolling now.
bad knees

New postby muleski on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Tufts is emerging as the clear top of the NESCAC. Re: Tufts vs Wesleyan, Colby did a nice job against Wesleyan. 11 goals, by evidently finding a lot of seams in that zone. Colby has a couple of very good attackmen {Brooks and McCarthy} and a very good F/O in Bunker. They absolutely do not have Tufts' overall firepower, defense, and team speed. Tufts soundly beat Colby by 5, and seem to be picking up speed. I think Tufts is looking to put Bowdoin, Midd, and Wesleyan well behind them. I look for Tufts to steamroll over Wesleyan, maybe 15-7?

Closer one for Midd today than I would have thought. 13-11 over Amherst, at Amherst. I see Tufts WAY at the top of the NESCAC, making a bid for the DIII #1 ranking assuming that that get through the WNEC, Midd and EC stretch. Being that it's the NESCAC, their final regular season game vs Bowdoin away could derail an otherwise perfect season.

Great season for NESCAC lax.
muleski

New postby Swank_Lax on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 pm

WIlliams 11, Conn 7. A strong comeback by the Camels after being down 7-2 at half. They brought it to 7-6 and 9-7 before their rally faltered. Last Williams goal was an empty netter. With Moran hurt, Rob Moccia got the start in net for Conn before being pulled for John Lenehan. Multiple long range lasers from David Hawley, who sat out the first quarter. Congrats to the Ephs.
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby NELaxer05 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:19 pm

muleski wrote:Tufts is emerging as the clear top of the NESCAC. Re: Tufts vs Wesleyan, Colby did a nice job against Wesleyan. 11 goals, by evidently finding a lot of seams in that zone. Colby has a couple of very good attackmen {Brooks and McCarthy} and a very good F/O in Bunker. They absolutely do not have Tufts' overall firepower, defense, and team speed. Tufts soundly beat Colby by 5, and seem to be picking up speed. I think Tufts is looking to put Bowdoin, Midd, and Wesleyan well behind them. I look for Tufts to steamroll over Wesleyan, maybe 15-7?

Closer one for Midd today than I would have thought. 13-11 over Amherst, at Amherst. I see Tufts WAY at the top of the NESCAC, making a bid for the DIII #1 ranking assuming that that get through the WNEC, Midd and EC stretch. Being that it's the NESCAC, their final regular season game vs Bowdoin away could derail an otherwise perfect season.

Let's not forget that the last game of the season is now on Friday, and the #1 seed doesn't receive a bye anymore. Whoever has to travel far on that day might be at a disadvantage with the quick, two day turn around.
NELaxer05

New postby muleski on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:36 pm

NELaxer05 wrote:[Let's not forget that the last game of the season is now on Friday, and the #1 seed doesn't receive a bye anymore. Whoever has to travel far on that day might be at a disadvantage with the quick, two day turn around.

Really good point. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
muleski

New postby Mr. Doback on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 pm

muleski wrote:Tufts is emerging as the clear top of the NESCAC. Re: Tufts vs Wesleyan, Colby did a nice job against Wesleyan. 11 goals, by evidently finding a lot of seams in that zone. Colby has a couple of very good attackmen {Brooks and McCarthy} and a very good F/O in Bunker. They absolutely do not have Tufts' overall firepower, defense, and team speed. Tufts soundly beat Colby by 5, and seem to be picking up speed. I think Tufts is looking to put Bowdoin, Midd, and Wesleyan well behind them. I look for Tufts to steamroll over Wesleyan, maybe 15-7?

You do realize that Tufts defeated Wesleyan already just a few days ago, right? Is that 15-7 score a playoff game prediction??

Also, Colby has not played Wesleyan yet. Perhaps those 11 goals occured in your dreams?
Mr. Doback

New postby laxpanther on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Lofty expectations, unscathed vs EC, Midd, WNEC, I see them winning 1 of 3 in this stretch. I believe they will beat Bowdoin in the last game. I'm betting on 2-2 in this group of games.
laxpanther

New postby muleski on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:55 pm

I'm obviously challenged by Connecticut, and otherwise "fried". Substitute Trinity for Wesleyan. I think Tufts will have another huge day against the Bantams this weekend. Not like Bates, but big. Sorry to let down you other NESCAC grads with that post! Still chuckling. Back to the time-out chair, with a beer.
muleski

New postby nescacfan2009 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 am

Williams could start to heat up with Morrissey leading the way. One of the best in the NESCAC

Amherst they don't play with any heart and will lose to Williams this year by a few goals.

Conn is in disarray right now they are struggling to come together. They certainly have some talent.

Tufts is has a very good team and will go undefeated this year. They will handle Middlebury by 5 or 6 goals and Bowdoin by 3 or more. Their attack is outstanding but average midfield and solid defense. Very solid LSM but he struggles picking up ground balls. He is not as good as the Williams or Wesleyan kid but pretty solid.

Wesleyan is the team no one wants to play. Very good attack - a very good FO man and Ward and one of the best LPM mids in the NESCAC Gabe Kelley. That kid is scary in transition and scoops up everything. They also have the Top Defensmen in Division 3 Malangone. He played against Trinity yesterday and the defense look very good again. You gotta love those webcast.

Middlebury great offensive players but very shaky defense and hot and cold goalie. They will be there in the end.

Trinity will be 500 by the end of the year.

Colby is my sleeper. They will get a few more wins but lose in the playoffs early.

We will know more about Bowdoin over the next few weeks they have some tough games coming up so we will see.
nescacfan2009

New postby PolarKat11 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:01 am

nescacfan2009 wrote: We will know more about Bowdoin over the next few weeks they have some tough games coming up so we will see.

Interesting final sentence comment by nescacfan2009 about Bowdoin.

My read is that there is a fair amount already "known" about this squad. A good outing last night against Springfield brings them to a 7-1 record...they are riding a 5 game winning streak heading into a big weekend game vs. Middlebury....history shows that these B vs. M games in Brunswick are one goal, nail biting OT events...they have some horses at midfield, their attack is producing, LSM / Defense is tough and the goalie play has been solid (when McCampbell got hurt Burkhardt stepped in nicely).

All that said, its probably a good spot to be in....just keep flying below the radar....knocking off teams and taking one game at a time....
PolarKat11

New postby 3T on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 pm

I will preface this by saying I haven't been able to see Tufts play in person this year. Tufts seems very good, and have solid wins against Haverford by 3 and Wesleyan by 1, but all their big stats have been put up against the bottom of the NESCAC (Amherst, Williams, Colby and Bates) or Lasell and Mt. Ida? I will say that 22-3 against Bates is more impressive then an expected 16-6 win, but Middlebury, Bowdoin, Endicott and WNEC are still to come. Certain teams thrive against weaker talent and blow them out and other teams historically have closer games, but Tufts still has a lot left to prove before we pencial them in as NESCAC champs.
3T

New postby Rex-i-can > Mexican on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:48 pm

3T wrote:I will preface this by saying I haven't been able to see Tufts play in person this year. Tufts seems very good, and have solid wins against Haverford by 3 and Wesleyan by 1, but all their big stats have been put up against the bottom of the NESCAC (Amherst, Williams, Colby and Bates) or Lasell and Mt. Ida? I will say that 22-3 against Bates is more impressive then an expected 16-6 win, but Middlebury, Bowdoin, Endicott and WNEC are still to come. Certain teams thrive against weaker talent and blow them out and other teams historically have closer games, but Tufts still has a lot left to prove before we pencial them in as NESCAC champs.

You know not taking anything away from tufts, but I am wondering if anyone ever put much thought into how good Tuft's would have been if we say they had a player with the calibur of Rex Riley from Drew University. Lets face it the kid is the all around package and what he is doing for lacrosse is just great. His charity off the field and hard work and dedication on the field has garnered rumors of him getting offers to have a special aired on 60 minutes in a few weeks.

Tufts is a school that should look to getting a RRR slamma jamma type player on their team to up their street cred. Everyone already knows about the "U" as a result of rex riley's 122 mph shot and sweet fashion sense and groovy moves. Not to mention that his patented Riley dunk fills the stands of Ranger stadium so much that when it sells out fans sit in FDU stands just to claim they watched a game in a town RRR was currently playing in.

It is just great to see myself living in an era where one player can change a whole sport in less than one season! :D :o
Rex-i-can > Mexican

New postby wheniwasakid... on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Rex-i-can > Mexican wrote:
3T wrote:I will preface this by saying I haven't been able to see Tufts play in person this year. Tufts seems very good, and have solid wins against Haverford by 3 and Wesleyan by 1, but all their big stats have been put up against the bottom of the NESCAC (Amherst, Williams, Colby and Bates) or Lasell and Mt. Ida? I will say that 22-3 against Bates is more impressive then an expected 16-6 win, but Middlebury, Bowdoin, Endicott and WNEC are still to come. Certain teams thrive against weaker talent and blow them out and other teams historically have closer games, but Tufts still has a lot left to prove before we pencial them in as NESCAC champs.

You know not taking anything away from tufts, but I am wondering if anyone ever put much thought into how good Tuft's would have been if we say they had a player with the calibur of Rex Riley from Drew University. Lets face it the kid is the all around package and what he is doing for lacrosse is just great. His charity off the field and hard work and dedication on the field has garnered rumors of him getting offers to have a special aired on 60 minutes in a few weeks.

Tufts is a school that should look to getting a RRR slamma jamma type player on their team to up their street cred. Everyone already knows about the "U" as a result of rex riley's 122 mph shot and sweet fashion sense and groovy moves. Not to mention that his patented Riley dunk fills the stands of Ranger stadium so much that when it sells out fans sit in FDU stands just to claim they watched a game in a town RRR was currently playing in.

It is just great to see myself living in an era where one player can change a whole sport in less than one season! :D :o

you do know it is April 2nd, right?
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby Mammoth on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:52 pm

This is what separates NESCAC Lacrosse from any other division three conference in the country...http://ase.tufts.edu/athletics/menLacro ... munity.htm
Mammoth

New postby Captain Bojangles on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm

Big weekend in the NESCAC – any thoughts on Saturday’s games? Ok I’ll go first. Theme of the week is defense/faceoffs.

Colby @ Wesleyan – Colby is a great surprise this year, however, I’m still not sold on their defense and am not sure they’ll be able to slow down Wesleyan enough for their offense to keep up. Bunker vs. Ward will be a fantastic matchup and the winner will probably win the game for his team. I expect McCarthy, Brooks, and co. to put up some numbers but fall just short on the road. Wes 10 Colby 9 in a great one.

Tufts @ Trinity – Trinity was my token upset pick for the mid-week games, but Spike played and Ward won the faceoff battle so the roosters didn’t really stand a chance. The ball-control style won’t work against the Jumbos because Tufts will probably win most of the faceoffs. Tufts 13 Trinity 6.

Midd @ Bowdoin – Game of the week and a big test for both teams who look very similar on paper. If this were being played in VT, I’d go w/ the Panthers by 2, but in Brunswick I think the bears defense will be the difference (theme of the week). Bowdoin 10 Midd 9 in 2OT.

Amherst @ Williams – great rivalry and 2 teams that can be very good when they are playing well...and apparently awful when they aren’t. I think the both of the good versions show up due to the rivalry and I like Williams at home 11-9.

Conn @ Bates –Do the bobcats fold after that lashing a few days ago or do they sack up and keep playing? In a battle for the NESCAC cellar it’ll be about who doesn’t care less. I think Conn takes it to a reeling Bates team by 2.
The Captain - OUT.
Captain Bojangles

New postby Switzerland on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 pm

Mammoth wrote:This is what separates NESCAC Lacrosse from any other division three conference in the country...http://ase.tufts.edu/athletics/menLacro ... munity.htm

The good will, or one of the most horrific color combinations of all time?
Switzerland

Re: LSM

New postby fat_middie on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:43 pm

As to his the best LSM....

LSM is the best position in the NESCAC. I've seen Kelly, Morrissey, and Holden play. I think Holden is the best that I've seen, but they are all excellent. Add Yarboro, and you have 4 AA quality players. You can't really go wrong with any of them.
I'm Built for Comfort, I Ain't Built for Speed.
fat_middie

New postby LovintheCAC on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:56 am

Colby 9 Wesleyan 7 (I'm going to go out on a limb and say colby handles the faceoff battle and since Colby cracked endicotts zone, maybe they can do the same here)
Tufts 17 Trinity 7 (Even if Trinity tries to slow it down, the Jumbos will control the X and therefore control this game, too much firepower)
Bowdoin 11 Middlebury 9 (This one could go either way for sure, but I'm going to have to say that Bowdoin can handle Middlebury and the winner proves they are in fact a top 10, even top 5 team)
Amherst 12 Williams 10 (Lord Jeffs kick a down Williams team, this is the turning point for the Ephs, either win now and start a run or lose here and downward spiral)
Bates 11 Conn 8 (After the beating the Bobcats took tuesday they must be hungry to redeem themselves)

Lots of matchups this week that look as if they could easily go either way. I guess thats what's so great about the NesCac
LovintheCAC

Re: LSM

New postby zglax on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:29 am

fat_middie wrote:As to his the best LSM....

LSM is the best position in the NESCAC. I've seen Kelly, Morrissey, and Holden play. I think Holden is the best that I've seen, but they are all excellent. Add Yarboro, and you have 4 AA quality players. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

Love this post. I think that LSM in the NESCAC has been a dominate position for a long time...think Nichols at Bowdoin in the early part of this century, followed by Wilcox with the Lord Jeffs, and now these four...not sure the NESCAC has seen this combo of checks and ability to create transition (and occasionally score) across at least four teams (what other good LSM's are out there in the 'CAC? just haven't had the priviledge of seeing them all play, let me know) in a long time. They are all game changers in my opinion because they play a huge roll in GBs between the restraining lines and especially on FOs, guard big time middies well (who are undoubtedly playing a huge role this year in the league), and are very effective on clears. It seems as though a lot of games have been settled in the middle of the field this year, and that makes sense given the talent, and that will remain to be the case in deciding big games especially as the schedule gets tougher for the Bears, Jumbos and Panthers. We all support particular teams on this forum, but the fact that any team can win on any given day makes this league the most exciting, if not the absolute best, in D3.
zglax

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III