Cortland 2010

Re: Cortland 2010

New postby Superlite II on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm

SecIIILax wrote:
Laxinlikeits2009 wrote:first off let me congratulate the 2009 team on an outstanding year! In answer to your question reddragondad the cortland lacrosse fans are phenomenal and are always at every home game and at times even rent a bus to travel to away games! The parents are the core of this teams fan base and tailgating. Every game there are always a number of parents at the games home and away and there is always a tailgate after each game (great food!). Parents tend to get each others e-mails in the spring when the team is finalized and contact each other to organize tailgates for each game. In reference to your question about school support. Cortland has programs for players to succeed in the classroom and always offers tutors and help when needed. But this is college and your child should start acting responsible for himself and needs to make sure he is getting the help he may need. No one is going to hold his hand and watch him every step to make sure "little Johnny" is going to class/tutors/doing his work. My 4 years at Cortland were the absolute best years of my life and these incoming freshmen should look forward to joining something special and continuing tradition!

If the parents are the core of the fanbase, things have changed for the worse since I went there back in the late 70s/early 80s and I don't say that to be negative. There was always a large and rabid student section at every game. I would be very surprised if that has changed as I attend a couple of home games a year and there is always a great crowd. Not quite as crazy in the new stadium but that's to be expected because of its size.

Maybe it would be better said that the parents are the core supporters of the players as they not only have to come up with lots of extra time to travel and support their son's they also buck up lots of extra money to make sure their is a tailgate after every game home and away not to mention equipment cost. The home game fans are loud and proud and that will never change but no matter what little johnny's mom and day are usually there too.
Superlite II

New postby Laxativity on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:02 pm

For all who would like to keep track,,,looks like Coach Seidman is now officially a Bullet
Laxativity

New postby creaseman5 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:12 pm

Laxativity wrote:For all who would like to keep track,,,looks like Coach Seidman is now officially a Bullet

:lol: haha of course...
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBEMAN
creaseman5

New postby Superlite II on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:11 am

creaseman5 wrote:
Laxativity wrote:For all who would like to keep track,,,looks like Coach Seidman is now officially a Bullet

:lol: haha of course...

Its better than being a target I guess. I read the write up and it was kind of off a bit. His season under Beville he served as the O coordinator for the first seven games in which they were 2-5. After that he was removed from that position and they went on a nine game win streak and eventually on to the runner up position in the NC game under the work of coach Abbott and coach beville. At the end of the season Eric was told he will not be returning to Cortland. I wonder how lond he will be at the burg? The whole Masters program thing at cornell makes me wonder if he is looking to get into div-I ranks. He did say once that was his goal......... :lol:
Superlite II

Yeah, he's an underachiever

New postby GBHog on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 am

Living proof that hard work raises your apparent skill level / Ninjas get no love / Today is not yesterday
GBHog

New postby zarching on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Its better than being a target I guess. I read the write up and it was kind of off a bit. His season under Beville he served as the O coordinator for the first seven games in which they were 2-5. After that he was removed from that position and they went on a nine game win streak and eventually on to the runner up position in the NC game under the work of coach Abbott and coach beville. At the end of the season Eric was told he will not be returning to Cortland. I wonder how lond he will be at the burg? The whole Masters program thing at cornell makes me wonder if he is looking to get into div-I ranks. He did say once that was his goal.........
Superlite II

So... do you like him as a coach, or not Your comments are not clear as to that.
zarching

New postby outlaw44 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Anybody know how many kids are trying out for the team this year or who they are playing in fallball? I wish all the players and coaches the best of luck for this upcoming season.
outlaw44

Fall ball

New postby The_Oracle on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Cortland is hosting Union, OWU and Springfield on Oct 11th.
The_Oracle

New postby zarching on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey, someone update me on the CU goalie situation this year. Has Hip graduated? Wasn't lil' Gabel waiting in the wings? Who else in the mix?
zarching

New postby Longstick33 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 pm

zarching wrote:Hey, someone update me on the CU goalie situation this year. Has Hip graduated? Wasn't lil' Gabel waiting in the wings? Who else in the mix?

Whitmarsh the freshman they got from smithown is a stud. He should be in the mix. He split time with John Carroll the Albany goalie when he was only a Jr. and Carroll was a Sr. in H.S..
Longstick33

New postby Spartanlax on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but The Dragons added Salisbury to the schedule this year? That means, based on past schedules, they have Geneseo, Ithaca, RIT, Nazareth, G'burg, and Salisbury this year. Arguably one of the toughest schedules in the country. It will be very tough to keep them out of the tourney even if they have a couple of losses, or don't win SUNYAC (which I don't see in the next couple of years) On top of which, playing all these schools has got to make it a lot easier to attract the top D3 talent.
Spartanlax

New postby Laxfan69 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:34 am

Spartanlax wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but The Dragons added Salisbury to the schedule this year? That means, based on past schedules, they have Geneseo, Ithaca, RIT, Nazareth, G'burg, and Salisbury this year. Arguably one of the toughest schedules in the country. It will be very tough to keep them out of the tourney even if they have a couple of losses, or don't win SUNYAC (which I don't see in the next couple of years) On top of which, playing all these schools has got to make it a lot easier to attract the top D3 talent.

They have a brutal schedule.

They already have it easier to recruit than everyone, except maybe Salisbury.

- Centrally located in NY
- 15k a year
- Not a big admissions problem. Jock school where students support athletics. They are not exectly recruiting against the NESCAC schools.
- Winning tradition
- Great facilities
Laxfan69

New postby creaseman5 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:07 pm

any one go to the alumni weekend...im upset i had to miss it this year
creaseman5

New postby zarching on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Laxfan69 wrote:
Spartanlax wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but The Dragons added Salisbury to the schedule this year? That means, based on past schedules, they have Geneseo, Ithaca, RIT, Nazareth, G'burg, and Salisbury this year. Arguably one of the toughest schedules in the country. It will be very tough to keep them out of the tourney even if they have a couple of losses, or don't win SUNYAC (which I don't see in the next couple of years) On top of which, playing all these schools has got to make it a lot easier to attract the top D3 talent.

- 15k a year
- Not a big admissions problem. Jock school where students support athletics. They are not exectly recruiting against the NESCAC schools.
- Winning tradition
- Great facilities

Notre Dame, SoCal, Michigan, Stanford... also "jock" schools. While, at the same time, being fine academic institutions. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Cortland produces its fair share of doctors, lawyers and indian chiefs. Before we even heard of a single NESCAC school, New York city folk already knew that Cortland was a great school for aspiring teachers.

(Less seriously) I even hear Creaseman5 is close to getting his doctorate in Elizabethan poetry.
zarching

New postby Superlite II on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:35 pm

zarching wrote:
Laxfan69 wrote:

- 15k a year
- Winning tradition
- Great facilities

Notre Dame, SoCal, Michigan, Stanford... also "jock" schools. While, at the same time, being fine academic institutions. I'll bet dollars to donuts that Cortland produces its fair share of doctors, lawyers and indian chiefs. Before we even heard of a single NESCAC school, New York city folk already knew that Cortland was a great school for aspiring teachers.

(Less seriously) I even hear Creaseman5 is close to getting his doctorate in Elizabethan poetry.

Not to forget they might be the leader when it comes to successful coaches that were either players there or coached there then moved on to have very very successful careers.

Additionally it looks like they have their fair share of outstanding transfers this year. Players from community college up to Div I. Its going to make for a very deep squad all over the field. As far as the keeper of the 6' square they have 3 talented goalies, just not a lot of experience yet. But with a defensive beast as your head coach you just know that part of the field will get lots of attention and they will be a very dangerous team this year. I want to say they could be vulnerable early in the season but after the way they came out of the gates last year who knows. Should be a good fall ball scrimmage.
Superlite II

New postby creaseman5 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 pm

zarching wrote:
Laxfan69 wrote:

- 15k a year
- Winning tradition
- Great facilities

Zarch thanks for believing that I could get my doctorate in anything (even if it is Elizabethan poetry), no actually creaseman is currently stuck in texas protecting our borders...maybe even more of a scary thought than me getting a doctorate :D
creaseman5

New postby Superlite II on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:16 pm

no actually creaseman is currently stuck in texas protecting our borders...maybe even more of a scary thought than me getting a doctorate :D[/quote]

Creaseman,

Does this mean your hanging around a different kind og crease???? :P

Another Dragon alumni is in the lone star state coaching this year, Matty oconnell
Superlite II

New postby zarching on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:46 pm

"...different kind of crease"

LOL

Yeah, SuperLite, but a very similar "off sides" stripe. :lol:

Hey,Crease. Be careful.

Z
zarching

New postby Laxativity on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:59 am

In the interest of posting something about Cortland Lax (SIC) this was posted on the tournaments page but thought it made sense here as well...Any other comments on the fall ball tournament? How did others see the defense and goalie open slots playing out?

New postby mailman1 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:19 pm
Cortland tourney results specifically for Cortland, did not watch the other team play against each other since games were on two fields.

- Cortland and NYIT played pretty straight up for first half of the 30 min game, think it was 2-0 cortland. Cortland dominated at x and overall TOP. Eventually Cortland took over and think final was 7 or 8 to 1 or 2. Both goalies played very well (Cortland Gaeble), but NYIT goalie was lights out in first 15 and was very good at clearing passes. Cortland defense was swarming and very good at first scoop GB pickups for this early...9 was standout. NYIT went 1v1 a lot, too much IMHO. They had a few nice looks in the middle on quick passes and quick stick shots but most were off target or stopped by gaeble. No real offensive standouts for NYIT, good ball movement but no one could break down the defense. Cortland offense was methodical at both middie and attack, won the GB war and eventually picked apart NYIT defense which may have been worn down by TOP. 15 was a new number for Cortland on middie and played well for a new guy. Cortland 25 was a standout on shots, rides and GB's at attack. Cortland subbed later in the game as did NYIT.

- Springfield v Cortland was very well played by Springfield. I am not good at scores but this one was a low scoring game decided by one goal in Cortland favor I think. 3-2 or 4-3, but again, dint kill me on scores. Springfield had disciplined offense which caught Cortland sleeping a few few times and they were able to win almost evenly at x. Game got a bit chippy late but solid pay by both teams and I was impressed by Springfield overall. Second goalie for Cortland (from Smithtown? I think) was very very good for a freshman. Springfield goalie was more solid and better on clearing passes but Cortland G made several mad saves and was OK on clearing passes. Overall a pretty even game.

- Cortland v Union was won by union or tied but Cortland did not start or play any of their starters, even at X, with the exception of one man up. All new faces were playing the entire game. Very difficult to say who was better since I do not know if union played starters but talking with a parent after the game I believe they did and they seemed very excited to be playing that well against a Cortland team. Union won TOP overall but sorry union...to play the Cortland freshman and some sophs even up was not a good showing. When Cortland had their man up in once they scored and the ease was evident.

- Cortland v Ohio Wesleyan was lopsided in all facets to Cortland. The first team on Cortland played about 12 min and it was 8 or 9 to 1. X dominated by both Cortland men, 31 and 21 and wings 8 and 35 showed superiority in speed and GB picks. Defense again stood out as the few time OW was able to clear and be on offense while first teams were in, they were manhandled by 9 and 11 on defense. Goalie (10) again was impressive. Standout for OW were long pole d's and goalie, who played well although saddled with playing most of the game on d. Cortland attack was the standout in this game, with 25 and 38 on first teams controlling play and boy 25 has some shot, as does 31. 23 very dangerous in tight, but thats all. 45 also played well this game going from up top...most of the rest of the game when the newbies were in was ball control and scrums, but some nice clears by Cortland were mixed in, enough to make you think they have some young stars in the making. New guy 4 made me sit up and take notice a few times at middie for Cortland. Cortland attack after the first team was off was very unimpressive, dropping passes and missing shots. OW first team also had a bunch of 'yips' on the passes on offense, with unforced turnovers.

Sorry for not knowing all the names,,but dint have time to look at the rosters. Tough to say anything at this point but looks like Cortland is ready to defend title.

mailman1
Laxativity

New postby Superlite II on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:28 pm

So considering the strong returning core and adding the very good group of transfers it appears as though the toughest thing coach B will have this spring is who to sit on the offense. I am inclined to think we will see some really unique offensive sets this year with all the talent they have. The good thing is that this will allow for the defense to solidify and become bevillish...aka- ruthless. Cant wait for springtime in Cortland- of course that could be sometime next may...lol
Superlite II

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III