3. Wesleyan
4. Middlebury
5. Trinity
6. Colby
7. Conn
8. Amherst
9. Williams
10. Bates

While I think the season previews are fair and mostly accurate, I have trouble seeing Middlebury coming in at 4 when for the past nearly 10 years there is only one (2007) where they didn't land on the top of the board come season's end. I realize they will have a young team and lost some experienced talent, but they didn't have Mike Stone a decade ago and they were still number one. The legacy of the sport at the school runs so deep and is so consistent even with a relatively younger coach in Campbell when you still have Erin Quinn at the school as Athletic Director. You really think they never have conversations? I take nothing away from Tufts, Bowdoin or Wes, but number one teams remain number one teams not because of one or two players, but because of a team mentality that runs deeper than individual talent. Yes, a big player can make big plays, but as some teams easily prove, you can't win consistently if you don't play as a complete team. Not saying they'll be number one, but they won't be number 4.

Fron what I understand.. official practices start Monday... I imagine we'll see final rosters about a week or two after that. Yes?
Lax5300

Re: NESCAC 2010

New postby Swank_Lax on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Who cares about the regular season finish? Middlebury hasn't finished in the top two either of the last two years and their significant losses to graduation do little to raise my expectations for the upcoming year. You're living in a fantasy world if you think tradition is going to save this Panthers team, whose talent level is nothing to write home about.
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby Lax5300 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Obviously there is some prejudice (if not outright bitterness?) against Midd. From 2001 - 2007 Middlebury was the Champion. So tell me this.. why the hate? What other NESCAC team has made as many visits to the NCAA Tournament finals, if at all? Exactly zero (going back to 1980). Williams won the NESCAC Championship two years ago and you've put them one spot away from last place this year. Like I said, I take nothing away from your picks.. but you seem rather harsh (A fantasy world with no talent?) on the one team that has consistently beaten MOST others. And while it is indeed a feat to beat a team three times in one season, one MIGHT wonder, however, why it is that Wes seems to fall apart in crunch time (getting their butts kicked by Midd last year) despite getting in the NCAA tourney 4 of the last five years. I realize you hold a lot of passion for certain teams and I never said MIdd was going to be number one, but you can't ignore certain facts. I've watched too many teams over the last several years be completely underrated due to graduated leadership and skill in more sports than lacrosse, who too easily prove all those naysayers wrong. Did the top sports analysts in this country really think Drew Brees could beat Peyton Manning? Nope. So.. I really don't think you can make any condemning pronouncements like "talent is nothing to write home about" when you have yet to see this season's roster, let alone seen them play!

NESCAC Championships
2001 - Midd
2002 - Midd
2003 - Midd
2004 - Midd
2005 - Midd
2006 - Midd
2007 - MIdd
2008 - Williams
2009 - Wesleyan. It's first.
Lax5300

New postby Swank_Lax on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Please, take the time to read my previews before you wonder why I rank a team like Williams second to last. It is ultimately irrelevant that Williams won a championship two years ago. Similarly irrelevant are Middlebury's past championships. All that matters is what is on tap for this year. I did not say that Midd had no talent, rather that the talent level is not as it has been in the past when Middlebury was head and shoulders above the rest of the NESCAC. Considering that the Panthers came up short last year with vastly more talent than they will have this year, there is little to indicate that 2010 will be much different. Get off the nonsensical argument about tradition. In case you didn't notice, tradition hasn't mattered much the past two years.
Swank_Lax

New postby Lax5300 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Oh...ok.. now that we're all clear that you're the only one entitled to an opinion..... :)
Lax5300

New postby Swank_Lax on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Sure, you're entitled to be wrong.
Swank_Lax

New postby Just relax on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:22 am

Every lax game in the NESCAC is a knife fight. Nobody has the right to a successful year- you earn it (or not) every day. Great recruiting is a big deal without which the program will underperform. Great recruiting takes a big effort and a driving passion...some coaches are natural recruiters. A gung-ho coach that has little support from their AD or their Administration will struggle.

What is the value or impact of "tradition"? I must admit- walk the halls of the Middlebury Field House- it's pretty impressive- plenty of NESCAC and National Titles in the trophy cabinet...it is of value to the recruits for sure...it show the historical commitment that the school made to lax and winning. Is it easier for Middlebury to recruit than a program with a losing record (lax only)? Definitely.

But within any given year Tradition means nothing...just because Middlebury has traditionally had a great lax program does not give them any rights to a high level of success this year. Their talent level has fallen from last year's levels considerably....I don't know if Middlebury, as a program, is in the status quo mode or "on the fall" but it is definitely not on the rise. I put Middlebury no higher than #4 in NESCAC this year.
Just relax

New postby Swank_Lax on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Well said.
Swank_Lax

New postby Just relax on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Swanklax- Did you play? If so I'm guessing definitely not at Middlebury, Colby, Bates, Williams or Amherst...I pay a fair amount of attention to NESCAC lax but you are from another planet...If you're not a former player with a kid in the mix perhaps you're an assistant coach. I doubt a head coach would partake quite the way you do. You are more than a casual observer.

In my opinion you currently give too much positive credit to Bowdoin and Trinity. Bowdoin lost a lot last year too (i.e. as did Middlebury) and you're calling them one of your favorites...Bowdoin and Middlebury are in my opinion in the same tier...a step down from Tufts and probably Wesleyan. Your miss last year on Conn was (as far as I know) your worst...but hey- we've all got them. I like the boldness of your predictions- even if I don't agree.

I personally appreciate the upsetting of the applecart in NESCAC...status quo isn't much fun. That's why I like the Colby program right now- they are a program on the rise- I am surprised that you haven't bought in to the change...the year that they break through is the only question.

The more new coaches and change the better- tradition is both born (by those that are newly focused) and broken every day (by those that get lazy or stop caring).

Good luck to all the players this year...bring it...live it....do it. "IT" defines you. :D

T
Just relax

New postby wheniwasakid... on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 am

wow. people really coming out in defense of Midd this year! Now THAT is a first (if only because they're usually the prohibitive favorite)!

Swank is right, Lax5300, that tradition has NEVER won a single game for a team. EVER. The current players win games and in Swank's opinion, Midd doesn't have the current players to get it done. He can have that opinion because he backs it up with relevant information. Your "tradition wins games" argument has some serious holes, especially when you consider that Midd has lost the last two Conf Championships and not a SINGLE player on the Midd roster has ever been to a NC game. Getting spanked by CSU only helps so much. So if you think that tradition wins games, the recent Midd tradition has been no better than Wesleyan, Tufts, Bowdoin or even Williams and may actually validate Swank's position as much as his own fact-based argument.

Now do I think Midd will struggle and finish 4th? Nope... but I refuse to base that prediction off of tradition. That's just such a lazy argument and adds so little to the conversation.

Midd's poles lost the game against Cortland last year. There, I said it. It's not that they weren't good, but they were exposed as having some BIG holes there. What holes? Passing, clearing, carrying the ball, creating possessions and playing as a team were all problems for Midd's big but young D. Now by the middle of THIS season, I expect them to be greatly improved. So much so that I like Midd to play for the conf championship game against Tufts. Sure, Stone is gone and that will hurt but Midd offensive players always do a couple things well: move the ball, move their feet and shoot the rock. I can say this because I'm not basing it on tradition, I'm basing it on the fact that the younger Midd players I saw last year did this as well. They all have good sticks, play smart and can ping corners. With these skills, they will put up some goals up most games but will need the D to be shut down type players and I think they have the potential.

I would be very surprised if Midd's coach didn't sit down with his best returning poles at the end of last season and said something along the lines of, "If we want to succeed, we need you to be better in the spring of 2010. Like much, much, much better". and I'm willing to bet that those kids took the message to heart and worked on their stick skills and passing. With a D as talented as Midd could have, they not only need the poles to shut people down but they also need them to create transition, push the ball down the field and be the backbone of the team. THis includes great wing play, a great man down unit and a punishing style of play. With the size and speed they have combined with a year of experience for most of the LPs, I think by season's end this unit will be firing on all cylinders... and that has nothing to do with tradition. Just hard work and the current roster.
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby Lax5300 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 pm

I saw Midd was planning a scrimmage against Union for this Friday. So... while they will have less than a week of practice under their belts, we'll see what kind of fire power they've been working on in the off season. I do know that nearly half of their recruits for this coming year were long poles, and there's at least one walk on who has a pretty long list of HS acheivements. But when I spoke earlier about tradition, it is more about the attitude of the entire program would be there are no rebuilding years and you better step up or step off. If the history is such that you are always in the middle of the pack.. not sure you can use "tradition" or "brotherhood" as your call to arms in the huddle. I agree that midd's defense last year had a lot of holes, slower slides and quite honestly, lacked a physicality that I would expect from a top team. Tufts, in the game that I saw, also had a lot of unforced turnovers and played very unsettled throughout. Arguably, Midd's offense kept them in many games and unfortunately, they just weren't balanced on both ends of the field which was clear in their game against Cort big time. With no bulwark throughout the season, as it happens, there is limited underclassmen game experience among the midfield and attack so in that respect it really is hard to judge fully on what their offense is capable of achieving in '10. Truthfully, I think their D is going to be huge this year, but I do think their biggest question is going to come in goal. And wheniwasakid is absolutely right: It will all come down to hard work and the current roster.

And to be clear, I never disagreed with Swank in his estimations or his previews of any of the teams. Nor did I say tradition by itself wins games. But it sure does give a team a reason to dig really deep when the chips are down. Both defeats to Wes were by one goal, so it wasn't as if anyone was kicking their butts and while you can certainly thank the big guns in the midfield and attack, senior-laden talent, etc, you have to also see that even with a less than perfect D, few could say they weren't the team to beat. It is a storied program and it's not going to just roll over and point to parity in the NESCAC.

Away from Midd and what they will or wont accomplish, I am hoping for big moves upward for Colby. I know Swank doesn't necessarily see it, but word on the street is they've got a great new freshman goalie that is, by some accounts, pretty amazing and plays as a fourth close defender. Who knows if he will see time in the pipes, but I think that alone could move them up the rankings pretty quickly. But again.. until we see a scrimmage or two and maybe even the first game or so under the belt, I think when you have younger rosters, there is too much unknown to espouse anything emphatically. And perhaps that more than anything is what was disappointing about MIdd last year with the senior talent they had at their disposal. If there is a lesson there, it's that you have to maintain balance as a team and no one player can win games.
Lax5300

Re: Boomer Repko at Bowdoin

New postby swissbernie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:08 pm

He is listed on the Roster for Bowdoin. Is he playing in 2010? He is a senior but had an eligibility issue which may now be resolved. Does anyone know whether he is playing? If so, I should imagine it may help Bowdoin.
swissbernie

New postby Lax5300 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

By the looks of the roster, he was to grad in 09. Not sure why he is on the 09/10 roster if he should have graduated last Spring.
Lax5300

New postby Just relax on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Boomer Repko graduated last year and I understand that he is in Afghanistan helping protect our country and our FREEDOM instead of playing D on the lax field...a true defender!
Just relax

New postby gatornation8 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 am

Swank_Lax wrote:Bates

2009 Recap: 2009 was a trying year for Bates as they managed only four wins. However, they did manage to finish the season with a win over rival Colby. Offensively, the Bobcats were paced by senior attackman Tyler Moore who netted twenty-four goals and one (one?!?!?!?!) assist, stripping Thomas McDonnell of Amherst of his title of highest goals to assist ratio with an unhealthy twenty-four, a number that continues to blow my mind. Passing in general seemed to be a struggle for Bates, as the highest assist total registered by any one player was a staggering eight. These dismal assist numbers plus the Bobcats woeful record makes a pretty strong case for the argument that you can't run an isolation offense with mediocre (and that's probably generous) players. The defensive end may have actually been worse for Bates, where frosh keeper Adam Scharff stopped a meager 47.6% of his shots, though he is undoubtedly not solely to blame for this. How the NESCAC coaches thought it was a good idea to give all-NESCAC to anyone from the Bates defense is beyond me. I'm out of negative words to use, so let's move on to 2010.

2010 Trend: Downward

What's hot: Um...yeah...not too many reasons to be optimistic here. I suppose Scharff can't have a worse statistical season, can he? Maybe he makes a leap in his second year. Bates could really use it.

What's not: Just about everything. They need to replace the only player who could consistently score goals for them last year and shore up a porous defense. This is a multi-year rebuilding job that will take some serious recruiting to rectify all the deficiencies. Fortunately, Bates should be almost a lock to have a number one overall draft pick in 2010...what's that? I already made this joke with Williams? Crap, I got nothing guys.

What we should be talking about: The 2013 season; The other nine teams in the NESCAC

Preview archive: http://d3laxfeed.blogspot.com/

Ouch...nothing positive at all?
gatornation8

New postby hillslaxattack22 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 am

Anyone know if the Colby scrimmage is on for this Saturday? I know they keep getting hit with snow in the frozen tundra up north!
hillslaxattack22

New postby Just relax on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Colby vs. St. Anselm at 12:30 PM
St. Anselm vs. Bates at 2:15 PM-ish
Colby vs. Bates at 4:15 PM-ish
Saturday Feb 20th at Colby.
Dress Warmly.
Just relax

New postby laxfam2 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:44 pm

gatornation8 wrote:
Swank_Lax wrote:Bates

2009 Recap: 2009 was a trying year for Bates as they managed only four wins. However, they did manage to finish the season with a win over rival Colby. Offensively, the Bobcats were paced by senior attackman Tyler Moore who netted twenty-four goals and one (one?!?!?!?!) assist, stripping Thomas McDonnell of Amherst of his title of highest goals to assist ratio with an unhealthy twenty-four, a number that continues to blow my mind. Passing in general seemed to be a struggle for Bates, as the highest assist total registered by any one player was a staggering eight. These dismal assist numbers plus the Bobcats woeful record makes a pretty strong case for the argument that you can't run an isolation offense with mediocre (and that's probably generous) players. The defensive end may have actually been worse for Bates, where frosh keeper Adam Scharff stopped a meager 47.6% of his shots, though he is undoubtedly not solely to blame for this. How the NESCAC coaches thought it was a good idea to give all-NESCAC to anyone from the Bates defense is beyond me. I'm out of negative words to use, so let's move on to 2010.

2010 Trend: Downward

What's hot: Um...yeah...not too many reasons to be optimistic here. I suppose Scharff can't have a worse statistical season, can he? Maybe he makes a leap in his second year. Bates could really use it.

What's not: Just about everything. They need to replace the only player who could consistently score goals for them last year and shore up a porous defense. This is a multi-year rebuilding job that will take some serious recruiting to rectify all the deficiencies. Fortunately, Bates should be almost a lock to have a number one overall draft pick in 2010...what's that? I already made this joke with Williams? Crap, I got nothing guys.

What we should be talking about: The 2013 season; The other nine teams in the NESCAC

Preview archive: http://d3laxfeed.blogspot.com/

Ouch...nothing positive at all?

Here's something positive. Several of the class of 2014 recruits agree that they chose Bates because they really like Coach Lasagna and the current players only have good things to say about him.
laxfam2

New postby wheniwasakid... on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

and that's because Lasagna is one heck of a guy! I've got a lot of respect for him and I think prospective players recognize his name and hear about his reputation... and he's a huge reason why Bates isn't a lot worse. but then again, he's been there for some time now and while Bates CERTAINLY competes in the NESCAC (we struggled with them when I was at Wes), they can't seem to find the next level or put together an entire season. So the question becomes, what can they do differently in Lewiston to make real strides? Until they change something I can't see them digging their way out of the 8-10 spots anytime soon.

I know, I went back to the negative... or as I like to look at, reality.
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby hillslaxattack22 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Just relax wrote:Colby vs. St. Anselm at 12:30 PM
St. Anselm vs. Bates at 2:15 PM-ish
Colby vs. Bates at 4:15 PM-ish
Saturday Feb 20th at Colby.
Dress Warmly.

Supposed to be 43 degrees...thats "june" weather for Colby :o)!
hillslaxattack22

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III