13Nazareth (0-0)117 
14Wesleyan (0-0)114 
15Ithaca (0-0)101 
16Lynchburg (0-0)91 
17Geneseo (0-0)84 
18Bowdoin (0-0)77 
19St. Lawrence (0-0)50 
20RIT (0-0)30 
Others receiving votes: St. John Fisher (22), Stevens (17), St. Mary's (10), Endicott (8), Union (7), Washington College (6), Ohio Wesleyan (6), Skidmore (6), Springfield (4), Franklin & Marshall (3), Montclair State (3), Widener (2), Trinity (2)

Number of voters: 18 (corkscrew, D-III, general21111, goalielax10, idealtin, LaxUnlimited, laxweforget, MasonDixonLine29, minkhoo, Richard, stamp, stewlaxdad, Swank_Lax, thatsmell, turbolax241, valaxfan, wheniwasakid..., Youngred)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Men's D3 Preseason Forum Poll

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Pollsters' Comments About Teams They Ranked: Part I

Cortland: Wow! A new dynasty from the North. Everyone returns to a talented and experienced squad. Can they be stopped? (corkscrew) — #1- Excellent attack, the most complete middie in the country in Deluca, and an aggressive D. Great schedule will test them, but the Dragons are positioned to repeat. (D-III) — #1--Cortland appears to be the deepest team in the division. Add to that the tremendous amount of tournament experience they possess, and I see them returning to the finals again from the North. (general21111) — Four straight trips to Memorial Day weekend, and it seems the Red Dragons have emerged as the "early favorite" from the North to make it a 5th ... Obviously young, talented and loaded on the offensive end, but the concern is the defense and goaltending, as they took a huge hit to graduation and it may take them sometime to gel ... I can honestly see them losing their first three games out of the gate this year, and I wouldn't be surprised ... #3 is where I have the defending champs. (goalielax10) — Here to start the season. Defense lost a lot including goalie. Difficult schedule to start. (idealtin) — My #2. Cortland returns a young and talented group at attack in Tota, Krol, Wright, and Distefano. Chris Deluca will have to step up as the #1 guy at midfield after the loss of Joey Morgan to graduation. The Dragons also lose top defenders in Luke Lemon and Cody Hoyt to graduation. It will be interesting to see who will also replace Matt Hipenbecker in goal? Cortland does open the season with three tough games against Western New England, Gettysburg, and Salisbury. Cortland has lots of holes to fill, but we will see early on if the Red Dragons have reloaded for the 2010 season. (LaxUnlimited) — Defending NC returning 86% of last year's points deserves to be preseason #1. (laxweforget) — Defending champs!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #1 About to build on a D3 dynasty, the Dragons have talent and depth. (minkhoo) — #1- Chris DeLuca will be considered for POY and should lead an experienced team back to the championship game. The Dragons should be better in goal than last year and, while Lemon and Noble will be missed, there were some impressive young guys waiting for their chance. Offensively there should be no drop-off from last year. (Richard) — The Red Dragons are the NCAA champs and deserve the #1 pre-season seed. Their first of the year match-up against WNEC, followed by Gettysburg and Salisbury, will reveal a lot. If the defense solidifies early, they'll be poised for a repeat performance. (stamp) — Fully expect these guys to pick up where they left off and keep rolling. (stewlaxdad) — Need to replace some pieces on D, but managed to win a NC with Hipenbecker's .519 save percentage, so I'm not overly concerned. (Swank_Lax) — Six starters and a bunch of key role players return from last year's team, including the best F/O guy in the nation, a great group of middies, one defenseman and, oh, their entire starting attack. Is Gaebel between the pipes? Red Dragons will be hard to beat. (#1) (thatsmell) — Expect Cortland to be the better team in opening fireworks vs. WNEC. Loses 4 starters (including 3 of their 5 AAs), 8 total: 1 AA offensive middie (Morgan), 2 AA close D (Lemon, Noble), GK, offensive middie Duffy, LSM Hoyt ... KEEPS 6 starters + 8 key contributors: entire starting Attack (Tota, DiStefano, Krol) + Wright (46 points as freshman), 2 starter offensive middies AA DeLuca (also best-D-III FO at 69.4%) and Misiaszek; 4 middies (Evanchak, Burke, Hopps, Mulvaney) who combined for 46 pts, 2 groundball machine Defensive middies AA Parah and Burke, + Battino (43 GBs), 1 starting D Schneidman, + isn't that Gaebel's kid bro as a soph. GK? Plays 7 of IL's preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. Plays 7 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 3 of LM's Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Returns two AAs and a system that keeps them at or near the top every year. Entire attack is back, so I like their chances. #2. (valaxfan) — Preseason #1. Best all around midfielder in the country, great attack unit, and kids who know what it takes to win. (wheniwasakid...) — #1 -- Favorites to repeat. (Youngred)

Stevenson: Entire attack returns, but midfield was decimated. Also, best defender is gone, but they should have another great year. (corkscrew) — #7- Like Middlebury, this group was decimated at midfield. The attack unit gets all the press, but how will this team do between the lines and up top against top teams? That said, certainly enough talent to make a run. (D-III) — #3--Great attack, but questions at first midfield. (general21111) — Return arguably the best attack in Division 3 ... Furshman's 64% on F/Os cannot be overlooked, and someone has to step up in that department due to his departure (maybe even a F/O by committee) ... But for me it comes down to goaltending if the Mustangs are going to make a run to championship weekend. Hebert is back in the cage, and the close defense is not only tall but deceptively quick ... Getting Salisbury at home is big ... Mustangs secure the top spot as my #1 to start the season. (goalielax10) — When you have the attackman of the year, you will be difficult to stop. Mustangs will be very tough this year. (idealtin) — My #1. The Mustangs return the top attack unit in the country with Richie Ford, Steve Kazimer, and Jimmy Dailey. They also return starting goalie Geoff Hebert. The midfield will have the most questions heading into the 2010 season after losing top midfielders Bevacqua, Yoder, Furshman, and Baldwin to graduation. The loss of top defender Mike Simon might hurt early in the season as well. Five of Stevenson's 2010 opponents were selected in the my Division III top-20 preseason poll including four in the top-10 in No. 4 Salisbury, No. 5 Denison, No. 6 Roanoke, No. 7 Western New England. Lynchburg was also tabbed at No. 14. Stevenson opens the season at Widener on Feb. 20th and will have two early tests in March against RIT on the 3rd and Western New England on the 7th. (LaxUnlimited) — Assuming all key returning players are healthy and ready to go, should be NC contender. (laxweforget) — #2 The Mustangs powerful attack helps create a monster in the CAC. (minkhoo) — #5- The loss of the four top middies and two starting defenders is concerning. But Stevenson is at the point now where bringing in quality players is not as difficult as it was when they were Villa. Kazimer is the face of this team, leading an offense that comes at you in a lot of different ways. Hebert in goal leads a strong defense. (Richard) — Stevenson would have been a threat even without the addition of some new transfers from Division I UMBC and Ohio State. Kazimer should have another stellar year at attack. However, Hebert will need to be superb in the cage to get to the big dance. (stamp) — Return a potent attack, quite possibly the best in D-III. Lots of other holes to fill; will really need to develop replacements for the impact lost at midfield. (stewlaxdad) — Firepower aplenty and a senior goalie for the Mustangs but lost a lot through the midfield. (Swank_Lax) — Favorite in the CAC. Hands down the best attack in the nation with Dailey, Ford, and Kazimer. The offense will have to go through the attack because the Mustangs lose their top four offensive middies. (#2) (thatsmell) — Wins fairly easy openers vs. Widener, Kean, despite losing 4 starters (including 3 of 6 AAs) + 2 key players, 9 total. Gone are all 4 top offensive middies (AA/FO Furshman [64%], Yoder, AA Bevacqua, Baldwin), 1 AA close D (Simon), D/LSM Hale ... But the "BIG BUT" is: SU keeps 6 starters + 5 key contributors: all 3 AA starting attack (Kazimer, Dailey, Ford), GK Hebert (59.4%, 7.04), 2 starting close D (Hart, Douglass), groundball machine M (Maguire), LSM Gustowarow, 2 co-FOs (Witte 55%, Valderas 59%), and adds 3 DI transfers at attack, offensive middie and close D, thus plugging perhaps all the holes. Plays 4 IL-preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. Plays 4 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Returns Dailey and Kazimer plus three pre-season all-conference middies. They look like the new Salisbury, loaded and ready to go. #1. (valaxfan) — 2. A trio of stars at attack and a team/coach who expects great things in 2010. Will need to score a lot of goals every time out if they want to win the NC though. (wheniwasakid...) — #2 -- Cantabene rolls out an army, but some questions at the midfield. (Youngred)

Salisbury: Remember these guys? An angry Sea Gull is a dangerous creature. Lots of questions about personnel but no question about the heart and hunger. Off-field problems now behind them; time to climb up the ladder. (corkscrew) — #3- Faded a bit last year with a surprising lack of depth. Still a very athletic squad with a great D, and an underrated attack. Need Van Kameke or Bradman to take the "leap." If they do, this is the best team in the South. (D-III) — #2--Return a lot of talent, and motivation should not be an issue this year. (general21111) — Bad news is that Berkman (player) is gone, but the good news is that opens 157 more shots for the rest of the team ... More points to go around, and they may not be the '07 team, but Salisbury on attack will be putting up "video game" like numbers ... I feel the Gulls are going to roll, at least until they go to Gettysburg and, if they win that game, I say WATCH OUT D3. I don't know, but I have a feeling about this team ... How hungry are they, after missing championship weekend, for the first time in seven years, I believe?? The hunted becomes the hunter. #2 is where the Sea Gulls are for me. (goalielax10) — Lost only two players from a team that always re-loads. Not used to the underdog role and does not like it. (idealtin) — My #4. The Gulls return a solid group at attack in Canonne, Winter, and Delillo. There is a bunch of buzz on freshman attack Eric Law, he will add depth to that attack unit. With the graduation of Kylor Berkman, Mike Von Kamecke and Sam Bradman will look to carry the load at midfield in the 2010 season. The Gulls also return starting goalie Johnny Rodriguez. Can the Gulls rise back to the #1 spot this year? (LaxUnlimited) — NC contender and likely Top 5 finisher. (laxweforget) — Will have something to prove. (MasonDixonLine29) — #4 Gulls will need to adjust to being the underdog in the CAC which actually might make them scarier. (minkhoo) — #3- 2009 provided reality for Salisbury. Leadership was questioned, and the thought that there might be other just as talented teams out there became real. This year's talent is just as strong as last year's, and I would think that Berkman will use last year to motivate this team. Look for Cannone, Von Kamecke and Bradman to lead on offense and Tokosch, Breeding, and Rodriguez to take care on the other end. (Richard) — Minimal losses from graduation and a burning desire to get back to the big dance should propel the Gulls to the national limelight again. (stamp) — How long has it been since the Gulls haven't been ranked #1 to start a season? The question is how long will it be before they are back on the top. (stewlaxdad) — This is a gut call more than anything, but after a disappointing 2009, I think they come back with a vengeance. (Swank_Lax) — Consistently inconsistent last year, the cupboard isn't empty, but it is lacking the big names that have kept the gulls on top for so long. Defense returns two solid players in Breeding and Tokosh. Role player VK will be asked to step up his game for the Gulls to make a run. Nice freshman Meredith could push Rodriguez for time in goal. (#8) (thatsmell) — Blows-out Greensboro, takes Widener, has a bit of work for win vs. Lburg in first 3 games of '10. No surprises, no real tests. Loses only 2 starters (who were 2 of 4 AAs) + 4 key contributors, 15 total: 1 attack Krasco, AA offensive middie Berkman, 1 AA close D Maynard ... KEEPS 8 starters + 7 key contributors: all 3 top attack (AA Cannone, Winter, DeLillo) + 1 more (Krum), AA offensive middie VonKemecke + 2 more (Bradman, Zordani), FO Finch (66.1%), starting LSM Burgasser + good backup LSM Hockel, 2 starting close D (Breeding, Tokosch), 2 v.good Dmids (Poletis, Gallagher), GK Rodriguez (56.1%, 7.25, played under 75% of team minutes). Plays 4 IL-preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. Plays 5 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — The Gulls have the most starters coming back in a while, but are they quality ones who will be enough to get them back to the top? #4. (valaxfan) — 3. I always like a Salisbury team to do well after a "down" year. This team has moved on and is focused on the task at hand, which is to win the NC. (wheniwasakid...) — #3 -- Will come out with a chip on their shoulder in '10. (Youngred)

Gettysburg: Lots of losses but playoff experience will help this team. New goalie will be interesting decision. (corkscrew) — #4- The Bullets don't rebuild. A well-coached, balanced squad. Biggest hole is in goal; fill that and they will make another run in the South. Lack of elite talent may be their undoing. (D-III) — #4--Question at goal and loss of Kehoe move the Bullets two spots lower than last year. (general21111) — Like all perennial top 10 teams, this team seems to reload every year ... Furshmann is gone, so IMO the biggest question mark for this team is between the pipes ... 16-4 last year and a championship game appearance, even with F/Os being under 50% ... Salisbury at home is going to be a heck of a game ... Gettysburg gets the nod at #4 in my rankings. (goalielax10) — Loss of Kehoe will be hard to replace, otherwise would have them higher. (idealtin) — My #3. Return Joe Brody and Josh Reichert at attack. Kyle Mcgrath returns as one of the top midfielders in the country. Who will replace starting goalie Zach Furshman? The Bullets lose Pucci and O'donnell to graduation as well. Who will also replace last year’s top defender Tommy Kehoe? Gettysburg has three decent tests in Messiah, Hampden-Sydney, and Goucher before heading to Cortland on March 6th for a 2009 NCAA final rematch. (LaxUnlimited) — Lost lots of defense to graduation. Plenty of talent remains, but not convinced this is a Top 5 team in 2010. (laxweforget) — #3 Plenty of losses, but the Bullets always have talent waiting in the wings. (minkhoo) — #6- Gettysburg suffered some key losses from last year. Fortunately there was not a mass exodus from any one position. The main holes are at goal and LSM. On offense and defense they will be well manned. Look for this year's offensive middies to shine along with an experienced attack, while on defense somebody will need to step into Peary's shoes. (Richard) — The Bullets are a close second in my book. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take it all this year. Huge tilt against Cortland on 3/6. Brody should have another big year. (stamp) — Lost some great players including the best one in the division last year, but they've proven every year the holes will be filled by quality guys who have been waiting their turn. (stewlaxdad) — Really 5a and 5b with Haverford. We won't know who is better until the Centennial championship game is played. (Swank_Lax) — Loses five starters from last year's team. All were AAs. There will be growing pains for the Bullets early on, but enough role players and young contributors return to think Hank will simply reload. (#9) (thatsmell) — Gburg wins first 2 (Messiah, HSC) despite losses of 5 starters (including 5 of 6 AAs) + 4 key players, 11 total, only 72 goals and half their GBs: 1 AA starting Attack (Pucci), 2 more attack (Triplett, Collura), 1 AA starting middie (TO) + 1 backup middie Duckworth, 1 AA close D (Peary), AA LSM (Kehoe), AA GK Furshman, FO (Stanton) ... KEEPS 7 key starters + 6 key contributors and returns 149 goals: 2 starting attack (Reichert, Brody), 2 starting middie (McGrath; Lynch, not mentioned in IL Yearbook), 1 Attack (now middie) Cahill + 2 backup offensive middies (Koehl; Ryan, not mentioned in IL), 1 AA starting close D (Kurpis), 1 ten-game starter close D Odierna, Barnett and Manniello (back from hamstring injury) vying for LSM, 1 DM (White), backup FO (Griffo, 45.7%), wide open between untested GKs. Plays 4 IL preseason ranked teams and 3 Top 10s. Plays 5 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 4 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Biggest returner scorers are Reichert and Brody. Over half those starters are gone, but the Bullets always seem to get the job done. #3. (valaxfan) — 6. I expect some close games and losses early as the Bullets have a lot to replace on defense, but expect this team to be right there in the end if they come together. (wheniwasakid...) — #6 -- Some very big losses to graduation but they've proven that they just reload. (Youngred)

Denison: Experienced team returns. Played well at end of the year. Weak schedule may hurt them down the stretch. (corkscrew) — #6- Underrated no more. The Big Red have a legit shot at a National Championship run. Excellent attack if Couture can become the feeder. Deep midfield and an elite LSM/Face-off. Only questions are at close D. (D-III) — #5--The surprise team of last year's tournament returns a lot of talent. They won't sneak up on anybody this year, but then again they might not have to. (general21111) — Denison beating Roanoke last year wasn't a fluke ... They are primed for a run and seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the NCAC ... The schedule is a little light IMO, but if they get through St. Mary's and Haverford in a four-day span, the sky is the limit for this team ... Couture will take over for Hall and could have a big season ... The Big Red check in as my #7 team at this time. (goalielax10) — Nice group returning; put up decent numbers against a not so strong schedule last year. Game vs. Haverford on 3/20 will tell us a lot. (idealtin) — My #5. The Big Red will have yet another strong team this season. They return Brady Burton, Emmett Jones, and Cory Couture on attack. Denison did lose their top midfielder Dan Maude to graduation. The Bid Red returns a ton of talent at midfield with Tanner Smith, Alex Hardt, Kyle Bliss, and Davis Lukens. Denison also returns goalie Gregg Shannon for his sophomore season. Senior long stick midfielder Cy Ryan was named to the Preseason All-American team as well. Denison will be a tough team to beat in 2010. (LaxUnlimited) — Returns enough talent to finish in the Top 10. (laxweforget) — #5 The Big Red announced themselves with a bang last year, the class of the Midwest. (minkhoo) — #4- It's a shame that this team does not play a more competitive schedule, but it does not diminish the fact that they are a talented and a tough out. Although their 6.18 GAA was impressive, it was skewed by the competition. That aside, they are strong enough and their offense is very good. This is a young yet experienced team. (Richard) — The Big Red are coming off a tremendous 2009. This is a veteran club that could improve upon last season's Elite 8 NCAA performance. (stamp) — We won't know for sure how good they are until the end of March, but it looks promising for Big Red. (Swank_Lax) — Midwest program showed it was for real in the NCAAs last year, pounding OWU and Noke. But key losses in each position, including Hall, Maude, and Minor leave a few questions. Burton and Detjen are enough to help the Big Red skate into the NCAAs. (#7) (thatsmell) — 2 easy wins in 4 days start Big Red's season (MSJ, Fontbonne). Loses 5 starters (including their 1 AA), 7 total: AA LSM/offensive middie (Maude), another middie (Jacobs), 2nd-best feeder Attack (Hall), D/LSM (Minor) and 1? starter close D (Edenbaum) ... KEEPS equivalent of 6 starters + 10 key players: 2 top starting Attack (Burton, Jones) + 1 more (Couture), 4 offensive middies some started a bit, combined for 58 Gs (T. Smith, Hardt, Bliss, Lukens), FO (Detjen, 65%), GK Shannon (56.8%, 6.73, played 75% of team minutes), 2 close D who started half of '09 (Payne, Farrell), switched Cy Ryan from D to LSM and Kozlowski LSM to D, promising freshman Attack Brickman. Plays 1 IL-preseason ranked team and none of IL's Top-10s. Plays 1 Lax Magazine preseason ranked team, Top-10 Haverford. (turbolax241) — Despite being overlooked during the season last year, they had a nice run in the playoffs. Detjen and Ryan return, so there is a good chance they will have the ball a lot. Can their "O" get it done at the end of the year? Good decision to see Mike back at the helm. (valaxfan) — 4. Maybe this is a little too high for the Big Red but it's a preseason poll, so I'm going to go for it in the hopes that they make some more waves this season. Good talent and a relatively easy road to the NCAAs mean Denison should be fresh if they can stay healthy, but this approach could hurt them as successful teams are often battle-tested. (wheniwasakid...) — #4 -- Gutsy team in '09, and they return a solid core. (Youngred)

Roanoke: Four All-Americans return along with entire defense and goalie. Lose only two starters from a team that averaged 18 goals per game last year. (corkscrew) — #11- Elite O, awful D in '09, and likely more of the same this year. The Maroons can put up eye popping stats, but unless the D drastically improves they are looking at another early exit in May. If the D does come together, the Maroons will be a force. (D-III) — #6--They return a great deal of offensive firepower, and I think their defense will be improved. However, the loss of the leadership provided by the two Crusies, Carlson and Thomas, can't be overstated. (general21111) — Roanoke will continue to score goals this year, but it may not compare to last year's total ... Defense has to step it up that much more. With Love back and senior leadership from Dorsey in the goal, I have the Maroons as my #5 team ... Glad to see they have upgraded their schedule. (goalielax10) — Impressive numbers last year against not so impressive competition; however, Pilat is a master motivator and will have the team solid for an ODAC run. Meltdown at end of last year still in players' minds. (idealtin) — My #6. Noke returns a nice trio on attack in Pat March, Matt Quinton, and Jeff Keating. They do lose Zach Thomas and Chas Carlson to graduation. Look for Brian Foley, Trey Keeley, Justin Tuma, and Steve Furdock to step up as the top 4 at midfield. Noke has the return of senior goalie Jake Dorsey as well. (LaxUnlimited) — Returns enough talent to finish in the Top 10. (laxweforget) — #6 Maroons will play to prove the end of last year was a fluke. (minkhoo) — #2- Roanoke overpowered lesser teams last year with offense. That will not change this year. Carlson and Thomas are gone, but there is more than enough firepower to make up for their loss. The defense had some tough games versus better teams. There certainly is talent on the back line. Love will provide leadership, and Dorsey will be fine in goal. There needs to be some tweaking on the game plan, though, for this team when it comes to the stronger competition. (Richard) — The Maroons lost a lot to graduation, but the underclassmen should rise to meet the challenge. They dominated the ODAC last season and may do the same in 2010. (stamp) — Noke looks great on paper from a talent standpoint. The question is how that will translate into consistent winning performance on the field. (stewlaxdad) — Always seem to end up overrated. (Swank_Lax) — As always, good talent, spread out across the field for Noke, with six pre-season AAs. If they can improve their defense and get some consistent goaltending, they should get another ODAC trophy. (#4) (thatsmell) — Runs up score in first 4 (York, Randolph, F&M, although maybe St. Mary will make it a game). Loses 2 starters (including 2 of 6 AAs) + 2 key players, 7 total: 1 starting AA attack Thomas, AA offensive middie Carlson + offensive middie Sultze, 1 defensive middie (Ariosa), co-FO Rea ... KEEPS 7 starters + 12 key contributors: 2 top attack (Quinton, AA March), + 3 more (Coretti, Gibby, Hotchkiss), 1 Attack (now middie) Keating, 3 v.good Offensive middies (Furdock, Foley, Keeley,), 2 better FOs (AA Tuma, Khanzadian, avg. 65.6%), AA LSM Simmons, 2 starting close D (AA Love, Burkhead), maybe return of Chase Phelps (broken leg), GK Dorsey (53.9%, 10.74). Plays 5 IL-preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s. Plays 4 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Maroons are the hands down favorites to win the ODAC, on paper. They have key returners, and back-ups, at every position. What could go wrong? #5. (valaxfan) — 11. Roanoke consistently has all the potential in the world and then loses a tough one at the end. Hard not to put them a lot higher but other teams just seem to have a better shot at winning it all. (wheniwasakid...) — #9 -- Will win the ODAC but lost some real leadership to graduation. We'll see how it shakes out. (Youngred)

Western New England: Lots return to talented team. Can they finally get to the final game? (corkscrew) — #2- During the NCAAs, this was the only team truly capable of hanging with Cortland. They return the nation's best goalie, Knowlton, two high-end poles, a deep midfield that loves to push transition, a quick attack, and a lot of swagger. If a few new poles step up, this team has all the pieces to party crash the National Championship. (D-III) — #7--Klepacki has built a fine program here. (general21111) — As good as the Golden Bears were last year, I think WNEC will be that much better this year ... They will be in a few tough games heading into their game against Nazareth, and do not be surprised if they knock off #1 or #2 in one their first two games ... When Okeefe was a frosh on attack two years ago, he put up 50+ points and is back after missing last year ... Knowlton and the D will be that much better this year ... at #9, I have the Golden Bears. (goalielax10) — Best player for two years graduated with Pabis; he did it all for them last year. Return solid goalie and a great midfielder in Jez. Should be a solid team. (idealtin) — My #7. The loss of Brody Savoie and Scott Kukis on attack will hurt in 2010. Tim Santye will have to step up being the lone starter to return on attack. The return of starting goalie Brewster Knowlton will be huge for WNEC. Western New England does return its top 5 at midfield in Patrick White, Nick Jez, Colin Houlihan, Tajh Russell, and Marty O'Brien. (LaxUnlimited) — Under-appreciated team in 2009. I ranked it #2 at year end. Returns enough talent to finish in the Top 5-10. (laxweforget) — #9 Golden Bears are clearly the best in the Commonwealth and a contender for a Final Four spot. (minkhoo) — #9- WNEC continues to challenge themselves out of conference. In doing so, Klepacki has helped put WNEC on the lax map. This year they will do without the services of 14 of last year's players, many of whom put in significant playing time. It will be interesting to see if this matters. Returning in goal is Knowlton, maybe the best in D3. Scoring comes from all over the place. There were 22 players that scored fewer than 10 goals and for the year totaled 64 goals and 50 assists. Obviously there are a few guys to key on but ... and of course several of them return for 2010. (Richard) — The Golden Bear program continues to improve every year. The boys from Springfield fell by just a goal on the road to NCAA champ Cortland last year. Klepacki will have his squad back in the hunt. (stamp) — Even without Pabis, this defense will be stifling, though expect early struggles with Cortland and Stevenson to open the year. (Swank_Lax) — Return a solid core of players including two attackmen who have started and a good goalie in Knowlton. But the strength of this team may be between the lines. WNEC should be able to run all day with a very deep midfield. (#5) (thatsmell) — Opener at Cortland will be hard fought but NC will make a statement early. Loses 4.5 key starters (including all 3 AAs) + 4 (or 7) more key players, 12 (or 15) total: 2 AA attack (Savoie, Kukis), AA D Pabis, 1 starting all-conference close D (McAnneny), 1 D 7 game starter (Franckling), 1 all-conference 2nd-line close D (Toomy), 1 2nd-line D (Damboise), 1 2nd-line DM (Mantey) ... KEEPS 6 starters + 15 key others: 1 starting attack (Santye), 1 "starter" attack (Okeefe-injured-in-09), 3 Attack combining 36 pts (Russell, Mariani, Santare), 1 starting offensive middie (White), 3 very good offensive middies (Jez, Houlihan, O'Brien), 7 more Mids with 26 pts and 120 GBs total (Mason, Cartelli, Roy, Tannock, Nardella, D'Angelo, Johnson), 2 starting close D (Zaleski, Kelsey), GK Knowlton (65.5%, 6.00, 73% of team minutes), wide open for untested LSM? Plays 5 IL-preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s. Plays 4 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s ... QUESTION MARKS: 1) why did IL Yearbook forget co-FOs Greider and Tullis (says "face off X is up for grabs")? They (not Houlihan) did FO in '09, with 62.2% / 50% on 185 / 105 FOs, respectively ... 2) Is soph. Joe Martin (30 GBs, 61.2% on 67 FOs, 13 games) returning? (turbolax241) — Lose their AAs, probably six starters coming back. Attack looks to be their strong point. (valaxfan) — 9. Can WNEC reload? I think so, but they will need their goalie, Knowlton, to really shine. (wheniwasakid...) — #7 -- Always strong and with perhaps the best keeper in D3, they will be dangerous. (Youngred)

Haverford: I know everyone returns, but the head man is now gone. There will be a transition time. I think top 10 is high for these guys come the end of the year. Watch out for the Centennial teams! (corkscrew) — #9- An enigma, a team that played and won an amazing amount of one-goal games, can they keep the mojo going? Return almost a full roster except for their coach. Firmly planted in the top-15, but hard to picture as a true NC contender. Can they finally leapfrog Gettysburg in the Centennial? (D-III) — #9--Return a great deal of talent, although depth is an issue. The last couple years the team seems to have worn down at the end of the season. I would have ranked them somewhat higher but for the change of head coach, which in my mind adds an extra degree of uncertainty. (general21111) — Haverford is the only top 20 team that returns its entire team ... It won't be how they start, it will be how they finish ... Will Haverford be 2-2 heading into their showdown with Gettysburg, or will they be 4-0?? Time will tell, but for now the Fords are my #10 team. (goalielax10) — Returns entire attack and a defense that held opponents in check last year. Bright year ahead for the Fords. (idealtin) — My #8. Haverford returns the top 8 players in points from last season. The starting attack in Max Hjelm, Brian Fleishhacker, and Myles Monaghan returns. Top midfielers Travis Gregory, Zack Cohen, and Andrew Kim return as well. Goalie Joe Banno returns after an impressive freshman season. Big game to open the season at home against my #10 ranked Cabrini. (LaxUnlimited) — Expect big improvement in 2010. Returns 98% of points from the team I ranked #14 at year end. Fade in late 2009 and coaching change are question marks. Should be NC contender. (laxweforget) — #9 Squirrels (or are they really the Fords?) return the whole team, definitely has the ability to take the Centennial and go deep in May. (minkhoo) — #7- The Squirrels return almost everybody from last year's team. Seven games last year were one or two goal wins, while three of the four losses were not close. Haverford's offense needs to come alive for things to change this year. You can't count on those close games going your way especially when you are being out-shot. (Richard) — The Fords are coming off a strong 2009 performance. What effect will Coach Murphy's departure have on the team? Can they compete against Gettysburg? Could be a dark horse. (stamp) — The Squirrels return a lot of people, but how will the coaching staff replacement impact things? (stewlaxdad) — I can't justify Gettysburg over Haverford on paper and, frankly, that's all we have at this point. (Swank_Lax) — Keeps entire starting attack, midfield, LSM, defense and GK. Returns 98% of the points scored from a good 2009 team. New coach dampens a little of my enthusiasm, but these guys have played A LOT of big games together. This should be a very dangerous team. (#3) (thatsmell) — HC has to prove much this transition year if they want to be taken seriously without Murphy. The huge opener is where they must start, but winning isn't enough. Do the Fords have the stuff to paste Cabrini back for last year? Then—can they go a few better: beat Denison (will be "this year's Tufts loss" if they're not sharp), SLU again, Gburg twice, not play down to the unranked (Skidmore, McDaniel, etc.), share the rock, increase shot quantity and quality, ride the clears. Eliminate the "barely-got-by's." ... HC loses 4 nonstarters + co-FO Hannapel who flew under the radar even though he bested WAC's AA Thayer Damm when HC beat them in '09 ... KEEPS entire starting (and back-lines) attack, midfield, LSM, defense and GK: AA Hjelm, attack Fleishhacker and Monaghan; offensive middies Kim, Gregory, Cohen, Leeds; co-FO Norton (51.5%), LSM Firestone, 3 close D Kelley, Dooley, Douglas, GK Banno (58.7%, 8.32). Plays 4 IL-preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. Plays 5 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Returns entire starting team but will that be enough. One has to think that as some point, experience will make them better this year. (valaxfan) — 7. Just barely got it done at the end of last year but need to step up if they want to compete in 2010. (wheniwasakid...) — #8 -- Have the potential to be higher, but they have to prove it to this homer. Very tough schedule. (Youngred)

Tufts: Great attack returns, new goalie - should be at top in NESCAC. (corkscrew) — #8- Another team that faded last year. One-two punch at attack with Hessler/Molloy and a deep/quick midfield. Vulnerable on D with field general Yarboro gone and gaping hole in goal that will keep the Jumbos from pushing late in May. (D-III) — #8--Return of Hessler and Molloy leads the Jumbos. This is the year to win the NESCAC. (general21111) — Tufts has to continue to push the ball on offense when they can, and as tough as the NESCAC is, I think they are the best team in that conference ... Defense needs to retool, especially in the cage, but I have the Jumbos as my #8 team in my top 20. (goalielax10) — NESCAC is weaker than years past, and the offense that the Jumbos have will bring it. Hessler will carry this team. Goalie is a question mark but has a solid defense in front of him. (idealtin) — My #11. Tufts has a stud on attack in DJ Hessler returning for his JR season. Ryan Molloy also returns at attack to form a solid 1-2 punch with Hessler. Matthew Witko and Mike Droesch return at midfield. Tufts did lose a top defender in Jordan Yarboro. Look for Eytan Saperstein to be one of the best defenders in the country this season. The loss of Matt Harrigan in goal to graduation leaves a big question in net this season. (LaxUnlimited) — Has about as good a claim to preseason favorite status in NESCAC as Middlebury. (laxweforget) — #10 Jumbos are likely to battle Middlebury for control of the NESCAC all season. (minkhoo) — #8- Tufts returns loads of players from a team that was inconsistent. Another year of experience should help the Jumbos. Hessler might be the best attacker in D3, but some help needs to come from midfield, especially with the loss of McNally. Filling Harrigan's shoes will also be important. (Richard) — The Jumbos return ample offense with Hessler and Malloy. But the big question remains in goal. This is a senior laden team that will compete for the NESCAC championship and another NCAA run. (stamp) — Will be an offensive juggernaut, the favorite to win the NESCAC. (Swank_Lax) — Losing McNally, Yarborough, and Harrington would hurt most teams substantially. But Tufts is built for the long haul. Return two starting attackmen, two starting defenseman, and a good F/O tandem. (#6) (thatsmell) — First game not until 3/13, but will skid easily through first 3 till Skidmore. Loses 5 starters (including 2 of 4 AAs) + 1 key player, 11 total: AA top attack (McNally), 1 AA LSM (Yarboro), 2 best offensive middies (Williams, Bibby), 1 starting close D (D. Bialosky), and very good GK Harrigan ... KEEPS 6 starters + 8 key contributors: 2 top starting attack (AA Hessler, Molloy), 1 good Offensive middie (Witko), 1 Attack (now offensive middie) who scored 9 pts (Atkins), co-FOs Rhoads and Droesch (also offensive middie) (55.2%, 54.9%), LSM A. Bialosky, 1 starting DM (Bittle-Dockery), 2 starting close D (AA Saperstein, Elfman) + 1 more (Crosby), promising freshman attack Fiamengo, wide open contest for little-tested GKs. Plays 5 IL-preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s. Plays 3 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Harrigan and McNalley are gone. Will be a dogfight this year in the NESCAC and the Jumbos figure to be in the mix. (valaxfan) — 5. Talented, athletic and driven. Daly has had the talent in the past, but the team hasn't been able to take it to the next level despite some really good wins. This has to be the year the Jumbos make the leap. (wheniwasakid...) — #5 -- Class of the NESCAC, they could challenge Cortland in the North. (Youngred)

Middlebury: Been a while for these guys to make some real noise. Should be interesting year. (corkscrew) — #5- Offensively will rely heavily on an underrated attack unit. Big questions at midfield can only be answered if one of several inexperienced middies steps up. Defense goes from extremely young in '09 to a veteran unit in '10 and they will keep the Panthers in the mix. Like several other top teams, will rely on a new keeper. (D-III) — #11-- Last year's seniors will be difficult to replace--Panthers will drop somewhat in the rankings. (general21111) — Pete Smith can't do it all by himself in 2010 ... A few more Panthers are going to have to step up in a major way if they are to make it to and past the first week in May ... The Panthers are #14 (for now). (goalielax10) — Lost a lot of points from last year; however, they always seem to reload. Stone will be greatly missed. (idealtin) — My #9. Middlebury does lose a bunch to graduation in Stone, Hopkins, Petty, Ferrer, Campbell, and goalie Britt. Look for Pete Smith and David Hild to carry the load at attack. (LaxUnlimited) — Returns only 41% of 2009 points. Should slip in rankings in 2010, but expect it to finish in Top 10-15. (laxweforget) — #7 Panthers always seem to be able to replace losses and will need to do so again this year. (minkhoo) — #13- Middlebury needs to replace much of their attack, Mike Stone, their goalie, and face-off man. The biggest problem is probably replacing Stone, on whom they relied more than a bit. This is not to say it can't be done, but the balance of power has been moving in the NESCAC and away from Midd. Pete Smith leads the offense, Matt Rayner the defense, but in goal there will be very little experience. (Richard) — Middlebury lost a ton to graduation. A rebuilt midfield, coupled with two untested goalie hopefuls, could hinder their early season performance. Rayner will lead a defensive unit that needs to step up early to keep the Panthers in the NESCAC hunt. (stamp) — Mids are stocked for yet another run to the top of the D-III heap. (stewlaxdad) — No longer the bully of the NESCAC, 2010 may be a make-or-break year for the Panthers. (Swank_Lax) — Loses seven starters from final four team. But lots of role players return, and Middlebury has a way of developing players along their career. Untested goalie, but two defensive starters return. Should be tough and battle tested by the NESCAC come tournament time. (#11) (thatsmell) — Won't know till 3/13 in what still should be opening win at Bates. Made it to F-4 but loses 7 starters (including all 3 AAs) + 3 others, 10 total, along with 70% of offense, 52% of GBs: 2 starting Attack (Petty, Ferrer), 2 AA offensive middies (Stone, Hopkins), AA FO Campbell, 1 starting D Quinn, GK Britt, so there are big holes to fill at offense ... KEEPS 3 starters + 10 key contributors: 1 starting attack Smith, big attack Hild, 1 dodging middie (Teves), 1 DM (now offensive middie) Begin, LSM Clark, 2 co-LSMs, 2 starting close D (Rayner, Schopp), little-tested FO (44%) and completely untested GKs. Plays 4 IL-preseason ranked teams and 1 Top-10. Plays 3 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and zero Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Will be interesting to see how losing Mike Stone affects the Panthers. Defensively, they have some young studs. So many starters have left, though, it's really hard to predict how they will do. One of the great lax traditions in NESCAC. (valaxfan) — 10. Middlebury lost Stone to graduation. HUGE loss. The defense will be the focus and with the size and talent they have, expect their D to be in top form when it counts. (wheniwasakid...) — #10 -- How will they replace Stone and what he brought to the table? (Youngred)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Pollsters' Comments About Teams They Ranked: Part II

Washington & Lee: Too many key losses to be a real factor this year but will make things interesting in the South. How about those first 4 or 5 games? Won't be tested for weeks with that schedule. (corkscrew) — #10- Battled injuries late last year, but this could pay dividends in '10, as younger guys got experience in May. Should have an elite attack unit. Need a new keeper to step up. (D-III) — #20--Big questions in goal. Loss of Skeen and St. John hurt, but there is depth at the midfield with younger players to step up. (general21111) — Proved they belong last year ... looking to take the next step and possibly make it past the second round of the NCAAs ... Lighter schedule will not help, and they may have to win the ODAC tourney (again) to get in ... We know about Kiegler, but it's Daw more people should be talking about ... The Generals are my #12 team. (goalielax10) — Control the rock and you control the game. Feeney dominated last year and will do more of the same this year. (idealtin) — My #12. Return a solid duo on attack in Will Keigler and Spence Daw. Washington & Lee loses Seth Fishman, Harry St. John, and Tim Skeen to graduation on offense. Starting goalie Connor Locke graduated as well leaving a hole in goal. (LaxUnlimited) — Lost a couple of AA from 16-4 team that I had ranked #9 at year end. Should still be in, or near, Top 10. (laxweforget) — #15 Graduated a lot of points and leadership. Generals will need to have some former understudies step up to lead roles. (minkhoo) — #11- W&L will be pressing Roanoke hard for the ODAC top spot. Three key players will need to be replaced St. John, Clarke, and Locke. But as with Gettysburg, no one position was hit real hard. And there seem to be players ready to step up. (Richard) — Can they repeat their ODAC championship performance in 2010? The talent remains in place for another NCAA berth. (stamp) — Will be an interesting year for the Generals. Can they challenge for the ODAC title? (stewlaxdad) — Slightly more confident in the Generals than I am in Roanoke. (Swank_Lax) — Lots of young players on this team. Lots of sophs that will contribute. This team may be have some growing pains early on but should develop in time to make a nice push for the ODAC tournament. (#19) (thatsmell) — Wins first 3 easy ones easily (BSC, Sewanee, Wittenberg). Loses 6 starters (including 3 of 4 AAs), 1 key contributor + 2 others, 9 total: top-scoring Attack (Fishman), 1st and 3rd-best-scoring offensive middies (AA St. John, Skeen), AA close D Shanahan, top FO (Clarke, 61.1%), DM Beale, AA GK Locke (54.8%, 7.84) ... KEEPS 5 starters + 11 key contributors: 2 starting Attack (AA Keigler, Daw), 3 offensive middies combining 54 goals (Koeneman, Wachtmeister, Washington) + 45 more goals from M/As on lower lines (Donati, Savarese, more), exc. backup FO (Feeney, 75%), 2 starting D + 12 game starter (Baker, T. Smith [47 CTs], Wernecke), wide open contest for little-tested GKs + mystery-January-transfer, not sure about LSM. (turbolax241) — Generals lose key starters at every position. Key position will be goalie, four kids competing for the spot. While losing so much, this could be a more talented team than last year. Will the lack of experience hurt them? Must win the ODAC to get in, at least that is how they should be thinking. (valaxfan) — 13. Lost some really good players to graduation but the Generals seem to be headed in a good direction. (wheniwasakid...) — #13 -- With a less than challenging schedule they will post a strong record, but I'm skeptical. (Youngred)

Cabrini: Can they make the jump to the elite level? Out-of-conference schedule is good again, but the conference is not. (corkscrew) — #21- Weak midfield, new goalie keep them out of the top-20 for now, but the talent is there to move up. (D-III) — #10--Return a great deal of talent (minus Reimer). Could move higher as the seasons progresses. (general21111) — Cabrini will be tested early and often with three of their first four games being on the road ... A one-goal loss to end last year's season proves just how far Coach Colfer has brought this program ... Offense gets a thumbs up, and the defense lost a few key players but has some young talent and transfers that should fit in nicely ... #6 is where I have the Cavaliers, and they could be a dangerous team come NCAA time. (goalielax10) — Return entire offense and lost entire defense. Conference is weak; however, they do have some good out-of-conference games. (idealtin) — My #10. One of the best attackmen in the country, Casey Grugan returns after posting 96 points last season. The graduation of Scott Reimer and his 69 goals might hurt Grugans totals in 2010. The loss of goalie Kevin Chenoweth to graduation leaves a big question at goalie. (LaxUnlimited) — Quality program that should find its way to another Top 20 finish, but probably near the bottom. (laxweforget) — Could be over-ranked here!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #13 Cavaliers have the talent to easily dominate the CSAC and has another impressive out-of-conference schedule to ready themselves for the NCAA. (minkhoo) — #16- Cabrini returns Casey Grugan on attack, but their losses are too deep to expect them to be able to match the last couple of years. What makes this doubly tough is that their schedule is so front-loaded with heavy competition. (Richard) — The Cavaliers should capture the CSAC again. This club is due for a deeper NCAA run in 2010. Only real question is in goal. (stamp) — Guaranteed a slot in the dance since they still have no conference competition. Zelinski will make them forget Rimer quickly. Still need to convince that they can hang consistently with the top 10 teams. (stewlaxdad) — Fool me once ... (Swank_Lax) — Lost five starters but a few key returnees and a couple promising transfers should keep Cabrini in the top 20. (#16) (thatsmell) — Probably wins vs. FDU on 2/24 but grudge match is on 2/27 in Squirrel Country. Lot of pride riding on this one, could go either way. Loses 5 starters (including 3 of 4 AAs) + 8 key players, 16 total: top scorer (AA Reimer), 2 top offensive middies (Kletchek, Conaway), 3rd middie Burrows, top DM (Grenier), 2 AA close D (Moore, Monroe), top FO Dolente, starting GK ... KEEPS 6 starters + 11 contributors + maybe 3 good transfers and 1 redshirt freshman: 2 big attack threats (AA Grugan, Skulski moved from middie), 1 good middie (now Attack) 9 game starter Romanelli, 1 starting middie (Terenick) + 1 good middie (Coeyman) + 3 rising offensive middies (Strain, Arrel, Kapp ), 1 (or 2?) LSMs (Heaps back?, Gregg not mentioned in IL Yearbook?), 1 good DM Zelinski, 1 starting close D McSorley + LSM/close D Mazza, "contest" between little-tested FO (Gurenlian) and quick, 2way-mid offensive-threat RS-Fr. (Sankey), completely untested GKs, + close D Salisbury transfer Saverine, D1 Albany transfer middie Steinburg, Lynchburg close D transfer Gonzales. Plays 3 IL-preseason ranked teams and 2 Top-10s. Plays 4 Lax Magazine preseason ranked teams and 3 Top-10s. (turbolax241) — Reimer is gone, he had to go sometime but they had this kid who almost got over the century mark, they will need that kind of production this year. They return 50% of their starters, at least, plus some new transfers. Winning their conference is not the problem, it's getting past everyone else in the NCAAs and that is their challenge. (valaxfan) — 18. Tough and talented, but there are still questions about Cabrini and whether or not they can consistently be a top 10 team. (wheniwasakid...) — #11 -- A lot of question marks, but with Grugan on the field they deserve to be here. (Youngred)

Nazareth: Questions all over the roster. Time will tell. (corkscrew) — #12- A sleeper team to advance far in May. Return nearly everyone from an NCAA squad. Elite attack. That said their D lacked depth and was easily exploited by elite teams. Improvement is needed there to crack the top-10 (13.75 GA when facing Top-20 teams). (D-III) — #12--Looking for Nazareth to return this year to their past form. Could be the dark horse team this year. (general21111) — Nazareth has their six top scorers from a year ago back ... With Dermody's senior leadership and an underrated defense, I think the Golden Flyers, who I have at #11, will win the Empire 8. (goalielax10) — All the pieces here for a deep run. Return all attack, all midfield, two F/O, two starting poles, and goalie. If defensive midfielders ride hard, they will be playing on Memorial Day. (idealtin) — My #19. (LaxUnlimited) — Returns 89% of points from decent 2009 team. E8 may have four Top 20 teams. (laxweforget) — Great place to start. (MasonDixonLine29) — #19 Surprise E8 champ Golden Flyers build on a big returning squad. (minkhoo) — #10- Nazareth was young and inconsistent in a down year for the E8. This year should be very different, as they look to be the top team in a strong E8. The attack featuring DeCirce returns intact and the midfield and defense will look very similar to last year. Look for another year's experience and playing in a very competitive league to help Nazareth ready themselves for a run into the tournament. (Richard) — The Golden Flyers captured the Empire 8 but stumbled in the NCAA first round against St. Lawrence. The pieces are in place to challenge for another Empire 8 championship. (stamp) — The favorite in the E8 over Ithaca by a smidge. (Swank_Lax) — Has to win opener vs. unranked but tough-out Springfield. Loses 2 starters + 2 key players (keeps 1 HM AA), 4 total: starter 2waymid Cole, starter close D Lucarelli, 1 FO C. Law (54.7%) ... KEEPS equivalent of 8 starters + 9 key contributors: entire starting attack (Empire8 ROY Estes, DeCirce, Jacobs-Ferderbar=109 total Gs), 2 best offensive middies (AA Castle, Cummings), maybe 2 FO (Gringeri-45%, injured-still?-McLean-63%), all-conference LSM K. Brown, LSM/ close D O'Donnell, 2 starting close D (Orr, Frey), GK Dermody (53.4%, 10.14) + backup GK Williams (50%). (turbolax241) — All the top scorers are back, so expect the Purple and Gold to be a regular visitor in the top 20. (valaxfan) — 17. Return some serious talent and after an up and down 2009; should be focused. (wheniwasakid...) — #14 -- Young team in '09 that returns a lot of fire power. (Youngred)

Wesleyan: Who will get stopped by the zone this year? (corkscrew) — #13- Graduated numerous top players. Still, hard to doubt them, as they have consistently been a top-15 team for 5+ years. Zone D will keep them competitive, and Killeen/Blumenthal give them a nice one-two punch on offense. (D-III) — #19--Lost a lot of talent to graduation. If they can acclimate a new D to their system, they can still be a force in the NESCAC. (general21111) — This year maybe a bumpy one for the Cardinals with the toll graduation took on some of their key players ... The zone is always a pain for teams outside the NESCAC, but inside conference play they may have to win the NESCAC tourney to get a bid this year ... The Cardinals are #13 for me. (goalielax10) — My #16. The loss of Russell Follansbee, Jason Ben-Eliyahu, Dan Latzman, and Adam Kirk on offense dropped Wesleyan in my first rankings. Goalie Mike Borrero graduated as well. Jon Killeen will need to step up on attack. Lonny Blumenthal will need to carry the load as the #1 returning midfielder for Wesleyan. (LaxUnlimited) — Returns only 40% of 2009 points. Should slip in rankings in 2010. Top 20-25 team. (laxweforget) — #11 Significant graduation losses and a competitive NESCAC will cause some challenges but the Cardinals will be in the mix. (minkhoo) — #21- Lose 8 starters and will have to rely on their zone defense to keep them in ballgames. The system will be tested. (Richard) — The Cardinals finished 8th in the final 2009 LaxPower poll. This club definitely took some big hits with graduation losses. However, I expect Killeen to have a huge year on attack, quarterbacking a new look, far less predictable offense. A rebuilt Cards zone defense and new goalie will need to prove themselves early on for this club to repeat as NESCAC champs with another NCAA berth. (stamp) — Graduating Follansbee and Borerro may help more than it hurts, but losing Spike certainly doesn't. (Swank_Lax) — Not until 3/10, but should pick up easy win vs. SUNY Maritime in spite of many losses (8 starters including both AAs + 2 key contributors and 2 more, 12 total): 2 top attack (AA Follansbee, Ben-Eliyahu), 2 starting offensive middies (Latzman, Kirk), 1 good DM (Ansu), entire starting close D (Malangone, Hayes, Green), GK Borrero (57.1%, 9.50). Too easy route in NCAA 2nd round but Wes. scored 3 more vs. Midd than SLU did in NCAAs (14 vs. SLU's 11 goals scored) ... KEEPS only 2 starters + key FOGO: 1 starting attack (Killeen), 1 starting offensive middie (Blumenthal), Spike's attack bro, 2-way middie NESCAC ROY Froats (77 GBs), FOGO (M. Ward, 59%), 2 good DMs (Olbeter, Pratt), LSM (Kelley, 81 GBs), wide open contest with 1 or 2 little-tested or untested GKs. (turbolax241) — Can the zone carry this team yet again? With top scoring missing, look for incoming freshmen to have an impact. (valaxfan) — 14. Lost a lot on D, but the guys in the wings will pick up the zone and Wesleyan will be dangerous. A more diverse offense will help win games. (wheniwasakid...) — #12 -- Losing Follansbee might improve their offense, but the defense will be a question. (Youngred)

Ithaca: Pool C haters will be back. (corkscrew) — #14- Appears to be a rebuilding year for the Bombers, but with a talented keeper back, and Coach Long, they will always be a factor. (D-III) — #13--Good year last year but no playoffs. They look to be in the hunt in a very competitive Empire 8. (general21111) — Every year the Bombers find a way to get it done despite losses on both ends of the field ... Will this year be any different? Only time will tell. March 13th vs. Geneseo is definitely an interesting match-up ... The Bombers start out as my #15 team. (goalielax10) — Entire defense gone except Gal in goal; lost key players at every position. Coach Long will have to do wonders, and he probably will. (idealtin) — My #13. Ithaca did lose a bunch on offense to graduation with Alec Siefert, Kevin Bush, Chris Carman, and Matt Cutter. Nic Heckman will have to carry the load at attack. David Gal will provide a solid anchor in goal for Ithaca this season. (LaxUnlimited) — Returns only 45% of 2009 points. Should slip in rankings in 2010 compared to #10 in 2009 but still finish among Top 20. (laxweforget) — Could be over-ranked here!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #12 Disappointed at missing out on a Pool C last year, Bombers will leave nothing to chance and take the E8 this year. (minkhoo) — #18- David Gal a top goaltender leads the Bombers into 2010. Coaching and defense keep Ithaca from sliding any further than this spot. The attack and midfield will be in the hands of youngsters this year and there will be pressure throughout the E8 on them. Will they be able to cope with it? (Richard) — The Bombers fell short of expectations in 2009 failing to garner an NCAA selection. The attack and midfield look solid for 2010, but the defense is in question. (stamp) — Let's hope they learned their lesson about the importance of getting the E8 AQ. (Swank_Lax) — Should win Scranton opener away. Loses 5 starters (including 2 of 3 AAs), 3 key contributors + 1 more, 9 total: top-scorer attack (AA Siefert) + attack Carman, 2 starting offensive middies (Cutter, Guinta) + very good offensive middie (K. Bush), (losing more than half their goals from '09) and also 2 starting close D (Serron, AA Wiedemann) ... Keeps equivalent of 7 starters + 6 key players: both top GK Gal (62%, 7.33) and top co-FOs (scoring-threat Neuman-65%, Hennessy-56%), 1 ten game starter attack (Mongelli), 1 AA offensive middie Heckman, 2-way middie Silipo, LSM Molnar, last year's starting LSM Powers but possibly wide open for all 3 close D. (turbolax241) — Losses four of five top scorers. Great season last year minus losing in the 1st round of the NCAAs. I believe it will be hard for them to repeat last year's performance. (valaxfan) — 21. Ithaca almost seemed to win games by sheer will last year eking out a bunch of wins. Long will have these guys ready to contend. (wheniwasakid...) — #17 -- Another team with something to prove; lost a bunch. (Youngred)

Lynchburg: This was a young team last year and many return. Must replace two starters on attack but that is about it. Goalie battle heating up in 'burg. (corkscrew) — #17- The Hornets overachieved last year with a young group, a testament to their coaching staff. Lots of talent returns, but the loss of Mundorf will be more significant than expected. (D-III) — #15--Lost Tolson and Mundorf, but return a solid group of young middies. (general21111) — A down year for Lynchburg in 2009 as they missed the NCAAs ... Who will take over the offensive reigns with the graduation losses? My #17 as a result. (goalielax10) — Expect better results this year than last year. Koudelka will work with attack to have them competitive in the ODAC. (idealtin) — My #14. Lynchburg will need to replace its top 2 in points Tyler Tolson and Michael Mundorf on attack. Dylan Hoff had an impressive Freshman season last year. Hoff will be the go-to-guy on attack this season. All three starters at midfield return; Eddie Bilinkas, Ethan Farrell, and Aaron Khouri. Goalie Franc Cook will look to improve after a decent freshman season. (LaxUnlimited) — Quality program which should find its way to another Top 20 finish, but I don't believe it has Top 10 potential. (laxweforget) — #16 Always a dangerous team, has tremendous young talent. If it matures quickly, the Hornets will be trouble for the ODAC. (minkhoo) — #12- The Hornets are a young team that has to deal with the loss of last year's top two scorers, Tolson and Mundorf. That should be taken care of with the development of several youngsters. On defense and in goal they look strong. (Richard) — The Hornets could contend again in the ODAC. Most of their starters return except at attack, where 2009 ODAC ROY Dylan Hoff will need some help. They'll face a hungry Salisbury team in their first tilt in February. (stamp) — Probably an also-ran in the ODAC. (Swank_Lax) — Loss of Tolston and Mundorf will sting. Defense and goal will be young but solid. Coach K seems to have a lot of solid, swarming middies, including Bilinkas to help stem the tide until the attack comes around and finds someone to help last years ODAC ROY Hoff. (#10) (thatsmell) — Toughest opener next to WNEC's; could still catch Salisbury in rust-mode. Loses 3 starters (including their only AA) + 4 key contributors, 8 total: Loses highest scorer AA attack Tolson + 3rd-best-scorer starting attack Mundorf, 1 starting close D J. Eggeling ... KEEPS equivalent of 7 starters (including four '09 freshmen) + 16 key contributors and 59% of '09 goals: 1 attack ODAC ROY Hoff + 2 rising attack (Jeter, Flintoff), 2 offensive middies (Bilinkas, Farrell) + 34 goals from 6 more mids (Khouri, Wilfong, Sauer, C. Eggeling, Carroll, Manzo), 2 FOs (Green-47%, Manzo-49%), all-conference close D Roscher, 2 good close D (Lombardo, Callahan), GK Cook (55%, 9.33, 81 GBs, 6 CTs). (turbolax241) — Hornets lose key attackmen. Had a good year of recruiting but that typically signals a year or two down the road. Will fight for number 2 in the ODAC. (valaxfan) — 19. Could have been higher or left off. Questions remain. (wheniwasakid...) — #20 -- Overrated last year and a lot of questions to answer on the offensive side of the ball. (Youngred)

Geneseo: Lots return and hungry to get back to the NCAAs. Is the schedule any better? (corkscrew) — #16- Graduate a ton on offense, but the return of Lange gives them an elite talent. Welcome upgrade to their schedule will tell us a lot about Geneseo, as there's not an easy game in their first six. (D-III) — #17--Like Ithaca, had a good season but no tournament. With upgraded schedule, they will be a contender for a Pool C bid. (general21111) — Lange is force at attack and Costanza is very good in goal. Lots of crying from their faithful last year and every year. Think they lost too much to repeat last year's record. (idealtin) — My #20. (LaxUnlimited) — Got no love in our year end poll at #12t. I ranked that 13-2 team much higher. Returns only 42% of 2009 points. I don't see it in Top 10 in 2010, but expect it to be among Top 20. (laxweforget) — Have something to prove this year. (MasonDixonLine29) — #18 One goal away from the SUNYAC championship, the Knights have toughened the out-of-conference schedule and could surprise. (minkhoo) — #25- Another top team from last year that loses too many players to stay top 20 when there are so many teams in D3 playing a competitive game. (Richard) — The Blue Knights surprised a few of the SUNYAC pundits with a solid 2009 performance. A rebuilt attack will need to gel early to have a strong showing in 2010. (stamp) — The second best team in a one team conference. (Swank_Lax) — Overall strength of this team will be on the defensive side of the field. If they can hold it together in the early going, while the middies develop, Lange should provide enough offense to make this team dangerous come NCAA time. (#13) (thatsmell) — Will have their hands full in 3/2 opener vs. rising Union, but first real test is 3/6 vs. Nazareth. Loses 5 starters (including 1 of 3 AAs) + 4 key contributors, 11 total: #1 and #2 Attack (AA T.Costanza, Cintineo) + 1 more good attack (Rand), top offensive middie (Fiacco) + 1 more (A. Johnson), 1 LSM?/D (19 goal scoring starter Bittlingmaier), 2 top DMs (starter DuFlo, Ryerson), 1 starting close D (Byron) ... KEEPS 5 starters + 6 key contributors but only 34% of '09's goals: BOTH AA GK D. Costanza (60.3%, 7.11) and top FO Baranowski (61%), all-conf Attack Lange + scorer Kurpis, 2-way-mid R. Ryan, DM Sanna, 2 starting close D (AA May + 31 GB McCormack). (turbolax241) — Four pre-season All-Conference returnees. They are the spoiler team in the SUNYAC. (valaxfan) — 12. Tried to beef up their schedule, but with Cortland in conference to take the AQ, it might not be enough. Knights need to win their big games to make the dance. (wheniwasakid...) — #16 -- Key losses, but they'll hang around. (Youngred)

Bowdoin: Quietly building steam in the great white North. (corkscrew) — #18- Up and down last year and likely more of the same in '10. Strong midfield and should be decent at attack. Lack of depth on D is a huge question mark. (D-III) — #14--Return enough talent to contend in the NESCAC, but have been "under the radar" so far this preseason. (general21111) — I like their chances this year in the NESCAC. Will know more about this team after their first three games. (idealtin) — Borderline Top 25 team. (laxweforget) — #14 P-Bears have a strong midfield, but the NESCAC can wear you down. (minkhoo) — #23- #4 in the NESCAC. (Richard) — Will Coach McCabe's Polar Bears finally "warm up" in 2010. This club has the talent to challenge for a NESCAC crown. They open the season with two big tilts against Wesleyan followed by WNEC. (stamp) — If Jake McCampbell is consistent, watch out. (Swank_Lax) — An opening win vs. Wesleyan should set the tone, but not until 3/13. Loses 5 key starters (including 1 of 2 AAs) + 2 key contributors, 11 total: #1 Attack (Ashforth) + another top Attack (Legg), 2 offensive middies (all-conference Winkler, Rob Halliday), 1 DM/FO York (47.3%), LSM Holden, 1 AA close D Repko ... KEEPS 5 starters + 6 key contributors: 2nd best finisher Attack (Tracy) + 1 more top Attack (Russ Halliday), big AA middie (O. Smith) + 2 more offensive middies (Flibotte, S. Thomas), 2 good backup mids (Starr, Thompson), wide open for LSM, FO (Kamford, 55%), 2 starting close D (Andrews, Devereaux), good DM (Pierce), top GK McCampbell (59%, 8.14). (turbolax241) — Three NCAA tourney type games off the bat will give us an indication if the Polar Bears are out of hibernation yet. (valaxfan) — 8. Athletic and have good goal keeping and a solid D traditionally. Will rely on their middies to do a lot but have a good group. (wheniwasakid...) — #15 -- Always disciplined, and they could be the dark horse in the NESCAC. (Youngred)

St. Lawrence: #15- Another team with enormous graduation losses. Could fall completely out of the rankings but for now get the benefit of the doubt. Return a good group of poles, which will mask some of the deficiencies. (D-III) — Lost a lot of talent from last year. (general21111) — Weary is the head that has worn the Liberty League crown for four straight years ... Regardless of who they have lost to graduation, the Saints seem to put together a solid out of conference schedule ... #16 until someone can prove they can knock off the champs. (goalielax10) — My #18. (LaxUnlimited) — #17 Perennial Liberty champs, the Saints lose a lot but have enough depth to be the favorite again. (minkhoo) — The Saints took the Liberty conference last year and could repeat again in 2010. Several key roles will need to be filled to capture the league title and an NCAA birth. (stamp) — Solid but not spectacular. (Swank_Lax) — Lost '09's opener to Haverford in OT, faces '10's opener on Mar.6 vs. the same or better Haverford, but minus 8 starters (including 3 of 4 AAs) + 2 key contributors, 11 total: 2 best attack (AA Carroll, Moon), 2 best Offensive middies (AA Slauson, Allen) + decent middie (Benton), DM Stefans (24 CTs), dominant FO (AA Santora, 64.4% in all but 10 of 370), 2 starting close D (Festa, Farr combined for 27 CTs), GK Hollingsworth ... KEEPS 3 starters + 10 contributors: #3 + #4 attack (Rohrbach, Smith) + 2 attack combining 10 points (Hutson, MacLaverty), middie Rahe, 4 offensive middies likely to step up (Boghosian, Newman, Osinski, Vaughan), sharp DM (big Manning, 18 CTs, 39 GBs), 2 very good LSMs (Palmer, Sperrazza combined for 41 GBs, 21 CTs), 1 starting AA close D Scoon + 2 decent D (Barber, Woodhull), GK Cochran was not primary starter (as IL Yearbook made it seem: started 1, played in 11 games, 111 minutes, 58.3%, 8.07, saw 36 shots on goal). (turbolax241) — Top scorers are gone. (valaxfan) — 15. A good program that is capable of taking the top teams to the brink. (wheniwasakid...) — #21 -- Perennially overrated in my mind, this could be the year that they are unseated in the Liberty. (Youngred)

RIT: #16--Return a ton of scoring, but change in coach lowers their preseason ranking. (general21111) — Peluso left the cupboard full and Coon will feast upon his good fortune. This team can be very dangerous. The E-8 this year is the strongest conference top to bottom. (idealtin) — Returns 93% of points from somewhat disappointing 2009 team. Very slight favorite to win E8. (laxweforget) — We'll see right off the bat where Coach Coon has this team ... 3/3 at Stevenson!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #15- And #3 in the Rochester area. RIT returns all but one of their starters from last year. They also have a new coach, which might be an upgrade just in the fact that a change in scenery sometimes helps all involved. (Richard) — 16. New coach, but he's a good one and a lot of talent. Wouldn't be surprised to see RIT climb the ladder. (wheniwasakid...) — #25 -- Coaching change might be what the doctor ordered. (Youngred)

St. John Fisher: Good run at end of season last year. Lots return. (corkscrew) — Need to see how they do this year before I put them in my top 20. (general21111) — Loss of Woods will hurt. Malone at attack is very good and so is Cortina in goal. A lot of talent returning. (idealtin) — Poised to improve on 2009. Returns 94% of points from 15-3 team. 2009 schedule was weak, which leaves some doubts. One of four top teams in E8. (laxweforget) — Could be three places up or two places down ... FOGO may be an issue. (MasonDixonLine29) — #14- St. John Fisher played a miserable schedule last year. But somewhere in there were wins against Naz, Stevens, and RIT. There has not been much of an upgrade this year, and like Ithaca in past years, it might force them to win the E8 to get into the tournament. Their biggest loss is Wood, their face-off man, one of the best last year. Other than that, pretty much everyone returns. Counting on winning the E8 this year is a tough call, but the Cardinals might be good enough to do it. (Richard) — Steadily on the rise in recent years. (Swank_Lax) — (21). (thatsmell) — Weak schedule, but that sometimes helps a team get noticed, like SJF did. (turbolax241) — Return a ton of scoring. Look for a serious conference run this year. (valaxfan) — #18 -- Young and up and coming; could have something to say in a very strong E8. (Youngred)

Stevens: #19- Could surprise. Extremely young D in '09 now has had a chance to mature. Lost a lot of horses on offense, but could win low scoring games if Peluso shows patience. (D-III) — New coach for Stevens and an All-American goalie will be just a few things that the team in Hoboken will be leaning on this year ... Stevens has an underrated out of conference schedule and will be battle tested by the time conference play rolls around and could win the conference tournament because of it ... #20 is where the Ducks land in my poll. (goalielax10) — Lost two great attackers; however, Peluso loves to run the game through the midfield, and Steinhouser is one of the best. Decker in goal with a more seasoned group in front of him will do well. (idealtin) — New coach ... we'll see!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #17- Stevens will have to count on their defense to keep them in games until a young attack takes shape. New coach Pelusso has taken the reigns of an established team before and done well so the coaching is in reliable hands. Development of the offense is key here. (Richard) — In the hunt for an E8 crown. (Swank_Lax) — Should win opener vs. Muhlenberg but not underestimate 2nd game vs. Endicott despite all the Gulls' losses. Loses 2 starters (who were 2 of 3 AAs) + 2 top contributors, 5 total: 2 best AA attack (Oreskovich, Keating), 1 offensive middie (Heckman), 1 good D with 17 goals (E. Smith) ... KEEPS equivalent of 7 starters + 9 top contributors: #3 Attack (Hofrichter), 2 top offensive middies (Laurita, Couture) + 2 rising offensive middies (Rose, Case), entire starting close D and LSM (McHugh + Iadanza + Pfeifer + Messimer = 193 GBs and 113 CTs!), 3 co-FOs (Crisco, starting 2-way-mid Faubert, Steinhauser: avg. 55%), AA GK Decker (59.3%, 8.25). Not sure if having Coach Peluso (ex-RIT) is good or not yet. Plays 5 preseason ranked teams and 1 Top 10. (turbolax241) — 22. Good D but faces a tough schedule and has some significant holes. (wheniwasakid...)

St. Mary's: Poised to improve on 2009. Returns 95% of points from 8-7 team that was #33 in LaxPower rating. I expect it to finish in Top 15-20. (laxweforget) — Returns 95% of its points and LOTS of juniors who have played for the past two years. A dangerous team that will be tested out of the gate with Noke. (thatsmell)

Endicott: Big losses but one of the best goalies in Division III returns. (corkscrew) — #22- Lost too much. Where will the goals come from? (D-III) — #21 The Gulls must replace a ton of starters but will be competitive. (minkhoo) — Endicott lost a lot to graduation and will have their hands full to challenge WNEC for the Commonwealth crown. On the offensive side, keep an eye on sophomore Justin Sproul. (stamp)

Union: Returns 95% of points from 8-7 team that was playing well at year end. I can see it unseating perennial Liberty League champ SLU and finding a place in Top 20. Key will be replacing AA goalie. (laxweforget) — #19- Top team in the Liberty. This is their breakout season under Wehrum. Need a goaltender, but everywhere else they are in good hands. (Richard) — Some unsung but very good talent plus a great veteran coach. Watch this team over next 3+ years. (turbolax241) — #19 -- I'm a believer in Wehrum and what he's doing here. (Youngred)

Washington College: My #17. (LaxUnlimited) — #20 Time for a bounce-back year for the Shoremen. (minkhoo) — Should win opener vs. Goucher despite losing equivalent of 7 starters (including both AAs) + 1 key contributor, 12 total: 1 all-conference best attack (Kielek), 2 offensive middies (all-conference O'Connor, Moreton), AA FO Damm, 7 game starter 2way-middie (Van Oostendorp), 2 close D (Millham, Healy), co-LSM (Shea), AA GK Cohen, ... KEEPS equivalent of 4 starters + 8 contributors: #2 + #3 starting attack (O'Leary, Perlow), 3 more Attack (Kaski, Rixey, Stafford combined for 27 points), very good offensive middie Herdegen, FO Evans (62.1%, only 29 draws), better-GB/CTs LSM who started 5, played all 16 (Cecere), DM 5 game-starter (Schamburg), 1 starting close D (Baur), will probably have to start 2 newish close D (Botti, Callaghan?) + 1 little-tested GK (Stewart played in 6 games, 114 minutes, 63.2%, 7.36, saw 38 shots on goal). (turbolax241)

Ohio Wesleyan: Program has been a little down recently, but should rebound this year. (general21111) — My #15. Look for OWU to surprise people this season. The Bishops return top attackmen Rob Young and it’s top three midfielders Chris Ehlinger, Chaz Narwicz, and Craig Aronoff. They did lose Gallagher and Zimmerman on attack. OWU is strong and deep on defense with all four starters returning. Alex Razzolini returns at LSM with Tony D'abarno, Alex Haggerty, Scott Chester, and Lee Catt returning at close defense. Goalie Jud Hall looks to improve after a decent sophomore season as well. Early games against Lynchburg, Salisbury, and Washington & Lee will provide answers to how high OWU will be ranked in 2010. (LaxUnlimited) — I had OWU ranked #20 in final 2009 poll. I expect them to do about the same in 2010. (laxweforget) — #23 Always a dangerous team, the Bishops will be odds-on favorite for one of the Pool B slots. (minkhoo)

Skidmore: Dark horse team from the Liberty ... Can they stop being in St. Lawrence 's rear view and actually catch up this year and pass them on the highway to the NCAAs ... This is as good a year as ever ... The Thoroughbreds are #19 and could be moving up sooner than later. (goalielax10) — This is their year in the Liberty. They return the most of all the teams in the LL. They are going to have some great battles with their conference foes. (idealtin) — #24 Thoroughbreds were a dark horse team that was competitive last year and may break through this year. (minkhoo) — #20- #2 in the Liberty. This is another pretty young team with many of their players from last year returning. Levesque is very good and leads the offense, while Grillo leads a strong defense. (Richard)

Springfield: #24- Sleeper. A lot of talent returns from a team that was playing pretty well in May. Loss of Beebe hurts, though. (D-III) — #22 Perennial premier Pilgrim power plays plenty Pride-fully, probably progressing past a plethora of programs to the post-season. (minkhoo) — #24- Came on strong at the end of 2009. They bring back a lot of contributors if not starters. They do not like being #2 in Springfield either. (Richard) — A lock for the tournament. (Swank_Lax) — Loses 6 starters (including their only AA), 3 key contributors, 10 total: 2 starting attack (AA Beebe, Cavanaugh), top FO (Jez, 56.5%), 2 offensive middies (Jones, Thibodeaau combined for 32 Goals), 1 good DM (Jason Farrell), 2 starting close D (Burrell, Smith), and starting GK Albano (61.3%, 7.04) ... KEEPS 5 starters, 11 key contributors, 56% of goals and 55% of GBs: 1 starting attack (Gable), 7 game starting attack Heney, 4 very good middies (Delia, Runyon, Macchi, Louer combined for 58 goals), LSM Sessa, DM Kerrigan, 2 close D (Schwartzkopf and Ferrell started 8 and 10 games respectively), GK Cipolla (saw 50 shots, 135 minutes, 78%), Delia or Ismaeil could be new FO. (turbolax241)

Franklin & Marshall: #18--My dark horse in the Centennial. (general21111)

Montclair State: An intriguing team from the Northeast ... With a solid defense, a few transfers and Tyler Meth on attack, they are a dark horse and could pull an upset of a team or two this year ... Red Hawks are my #18 ranked team. (goalielax10)

Widener: #20- One of about 20 teams who could be ranked here, so going with a dark horse. Return eight starters from a team that just missed the NCAAs and pushed Stevenson to the limit early in '09. Athletic group. (D-III) — Feel as though this could be their year to make some noise. Had a few close games last year that, if they went the other way, things could have been different. (idealtin) — Returns 88% of points from team that was #34 in LaxPower rating. Top 20-25 team. (laxweforget) — Trendy sleeper pick. (Swank_Lax)

Trinity: #23- Sleeper. (D-III) — You have got to like a team named the Bantams. (general21111) — My 2010 dark horse will be a team that nobody wants to play. (Swank_Lax) — 20. Could be the surprise team from the NESCAC that gets in to the NCAAs. (wheniwasakid...)

Other Teams Pollsters Considered (and comments, if any)

Fairleigh Dickinson: #25- Another strong MAC team, which is a conference on the rise. (D-III) — #25 The Devils return a ton including stars on attack and goal. (minkhoo) — #24 -- Another dark horse; strong showing in '09 with a lot coming back. (Youngred)

Colorado College: ColCol should dominate the up-and-coming SCAC this season. New coach with recruiting ties back East plus location in developing Colo. "hot bed" bodes well for the future. Keep an eye on this program. (general21111)

Ursinus: Returns 88% of 2009 points. Should improve in 2010. Borderline Top 25 team. (laxweforget)

Elizabethtown: #22- E-town, Widener, FDU, or Lyco could take the MAC. I like E-town based on coaching in this surprisingly strong league. (Richard)

Keene State: Should topple ECSU in the Little East. (Swank_Lax)

Kenyon: Like the coach, like what he's building. Could make fast strides to overtake Denison before long. (turbolax241)

Dickinson: #22 -- Dark horse in the Centennial; strong group of freshman coming to Carlisle. (Youngred)

Colby: #23 -- Could prove to be a factor in the NESCAC; another up and coming team. (Youngred)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

New postby Swank_Lax on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:32 pm

I messed up my comments, forgot to include where I ranked each team.

1. Salisbury
2. Cortland
3. Stevenson
4. Denison
5. Haverford
6. Gettysburg
7.WNEC
8. Tufts
9. W&L
10. Roanoke
11. Bowdoin
12. Wesleyan
13. Middlebury
14. Naz
15. St. Lawrence
16. Ithaca
17. Geneseo
18. Lynchburg
19. Cabrini
20. Trinity

Why did I rank Salisbury number one? Simply put, I think we will see a season from this team that transcends simply analyzing personnel match-ups and statistics. No other program has approached the level of dominance consistently demonstrated by the Gulls in recent years. A year like last year, which fell well short of expectations, will serve as a catalyst for everything that they do this year. If you don't think the wounds of last year won't be on the minds of the players when they take the field this year, you're crazy. I fully expect Salisbury to be out for blood, and to elevate their effort and intensity to a dominant level. They may not have the massive talent advantage that they once held over much of the DIII world, but I don't think anyone is going to want a part of a pissed off Gulls squad.

My thoughts on preseason rankings are that the whole thing is about as scientific as an Ouija board. There are simply too many teams that we simply don't know enough about to make any kind of statement about whether team A is better than team B. I'm a proponent of ranking teams for the preseason in tiers as opposed to numerically as we have done here, but obviously that doesn't work for something like this poll. I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the preseason rankings as it pertains to how individual teams compare to each other. Rather, the best way to use our poll is as a way to figure out approximately where each team will fall this season. Is there a real, discernible difference between Tufts at #8 and WNEC at #7 in my rankings? No. We need data (game results) before we can begin to compile anything that accurately represents the hierarchy of teams in DIII lacrosse. Absent that data, these rankings are highly subjective.

Anyone who read my criticisms of the poll last year knows that I think we should be accountable for our rankings. No one here is beyond reproach. I'd love to answer any questions that you guys have about why I made some of the decisions that I did, as an engaging discussion will help to me to better rank the teams in the future. I simply haven't had enough of a chance to watch some of the southern teams with the exception of a game or two last year to even begin to think that I have a good grasp of where they really belong.
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby wheniwasakid... on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:07 pm

at this point, I EXPECT to get blasted for my selections but still keep on making them! At least it's fun!
It is almost impossible to know everything about every team before the season starts so like Swank said, ranking them is very difficult. We all make some "mistakes" or bad judgements here and there but overall the poll is once again on par with or above the Coach's Poll IMHO. Well done to all and 2010 should be a good one!
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby thatsmell on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:12 pm

I think I was the guy who had the gulls the lowest, ranked at a dismal 8. It speaks volumes about the SU program that 8 is dismal!!

:o

The lack of depth last year is what has me concerned. Coach B is probably the best teacher and developer of talent. And throughout the run of the past decade, you could see who the "next man up" would be. Those players weren't as apparent to me last year. I think if this team wants to return to the final four and compete for a champiopnship it will be a true, well-rounded, team effort. And that could make the gulls more dangerous than ever...

But needless to say, I guess now is the time to question the gulls because it will be hard to say anything bad once the season (and the winning) commences!

:D
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Men's D3 Preseason Forum Poll

New postby GBHog on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:43 pm

God bless everyone who made the effort, but if you depend on accurate information from team websites, IL and whatever other pre-season depth charts and info sources that are available then - at best - these are poorly educated guesses. I will agree that the members of the top twenty and the top five are probably accurate, but there will be a lot of shuffling around by the end of the season. I suspect that Goucher will be a surprise, and that Scranton will be not as good as anticipated, due to the coaching change.

You really need to see the frosh and the guys who were buried deep in the depth chart play a few games before you can make any meaningful rankings. Suffice it to say, I saw enough E-8 fall ball to tell you that Naz will be very good, that Ithaca will be better than expected and that Stevens will not be as good as expected (unless Peluso was able to do some stellar eleventh hour recruiting).

Let the games begin!
Living proof that hard work raises your apparent skill level / Ninjas get no love / Today is not yesterday
GBHog

New postby minkhoo on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Perfect job, guys. This poll is exactly correct. There will be no changes until Memorial Day weekend! :lol:

Let see, 33 teams got at least 1 Top 20 vote. Another 8 teams got some consideration for spots 21-25.

I would not be surprised if at least one team not mentioned in this group of 41 teams winds up the year in the T20.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
-Arthur Carlson
minkhoo

New postby stewlaxdad on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:21 pm

thatsmell wrote:I think I was the guy who had the gulls the lowest, ranked at a dismal 8. It speaks volumes about the SU program that 8 is dismal!!

:o

The lack of depth last year is what has me concerned. Coach B is probably the best teacher and developer of talent. And throughout the run of the past decade, you could see who the "next man up" would be. Those players weren't as apparent to me last year. I think if this team wants to return to the final four and compete for a champiopnship it will be a true, well-rounded, team effort. And that could make the gulls more dangerous than ever...

But needless to say, I guess now is the time to question the gulls because it will be hard to say anything bad once the season (and the winning) commences!

:D

I don't know Smell .... a lot of us think that "8" looks just great on the Gulls!! :lol: :lol:
stewlaxdad

New postby laxweforget on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:50 pm

I agree with Swank on the concept of "tiers". What I see in the result is a clear top tier of 9 or 10 teams, which judging from the point totals had to be in a LOT of people's Top 10. Look at the huge drop off from #10 (195 points) to #11 (139). There is actually a big, though less dramatic, drop from #9 to #10 also. I have to admit my first 8 were only in a slightly different order than the overall first 8. But, a distinct top 8 (rather than 9 or 10) fell out for me. I had a second tier of teams, W&L, Middlebury, Tufts, RIT, that I thought came next. I guess RIT would be the statistical outlier there. Next tier was Geneseo, St. Mary's, Naz, Ithaca and SJF. St. Mary's being the statistical outlier. My last group was, Union, Lynchburg, Cabrini, Widener, Wesleyan and OWU. I am not quite as sold on Cabrini, Bowdoin and certainly St. Lawrence (which I didn't even have in my top 25) as most, I guess.

Bottom line is that there appears to be a pretty strong consensus about who the top 10 teams are.
laxweforget

New postby In the WheelBarrow on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Good to see Gettysburg ranked well ahead of Haverford. Some squirrel has gone nuts over that team (MASSIVE pun intended).

Feb 1..the boys are on the turf.
In the WheelBarrow

New postby hillslaxattack22 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Naz is much too high. I do not even think they win the E8!!!
hillslaxattack22

New postby D-III on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 pm

minkhoo wrote:Perfect job, guys. This poll is exactly correct. There will be no changes until Memorial Day weekend! :lol:

Let see, 33 teams got at least 1 Top 20 vote. Another 8 teams got some consideration for spots 21-25.

I would not be surprised if at least one team not mentioned in this group of 41 teams winds up the year in the T20.

Interesting to look at how we did in last year's Preseason Poll, so we can keep that in mind when looking at this year's Poll:

1. We did get 3 of the 4 Final Four teams among the #1-#4 (we were wrong on Salisbury, so who can blame us). That said, Cortland was our preseason #4 and rolled to the title (Interestingly, Gettysburg is a preseason #4 this year coming off an NC game loss, and graduating a good group of seniors, just like Cortland was in '09, will history repeat?);

2. We only got 4 of the 8 Quarterfinal teams in the Top-8, badly missing on WNEC (we had them preseason #20) and Denison (we had them preseason #15);

3. We overrated Cabrini (I am not taking the blame for that one) having them at #5 preseason, Endicott (preseason #8), Lynchburg (preseason #10) and WAC (preseason #11).

4. We owe Tufts and W&L an apology, as we had them Unranked and they both spent most of the season in the Top-10.
D-III

New postby thatsmell on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 pm

stewlaxdad wrote:I don't know Smell .... a lot of us think that "8" looks just great on the Gulls!! :lol: :lol:

I appreciate the support, but I'm guessing you didn't notice where I have Gettysburg...

:whistle:

But for full disclosure, I did my research, but then I made the mistake of going with my "gut..."
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby Wonderlax on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:55 am

Really surprised to see Stevens so low, I think they will have a solid season.

Also, nice little write up on Keene State by Swank_Lax..."Should topple ECSU in the Little East"...only time will tell. I like Cortland at #1, they will be a force again this year.
Wonderlax

New postby stewlaxdad on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 pm

thatsmell wrote:
stewlaxdad wrote:I don't know Smell .... a lot of us think that "8" looks just great on the Gulls!! :lol: :lol:

I appreciate the support, but I'm guessing you didn't notice where I have Gettysburg...

:whistle:

But for full disclosure, I did my research, but then I made the mistake of going with my "gut..."

It's all good ... the only certain thing in our poll at this point is that everything is just a guess. Can't wait for the season to start.
stewlaxdad

New postby Superlite II on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:21 am

Well I guess its about time I chime in with my $0.02 on my boys at Cortland. As a few polsters have commented it would appear their biggest weakness early on is going to be the in close defense and the keeper of the cage. Well considering coach Beville is a nasty junk yard dog when it comes to how he played and how he wants his team to play defense I am pretty sure the new guys stepping in will be well prepaired....to say the least coach Beville has made it a point each of the last three seasons to recruit big strong fast defensemen and they will be ready. As for the goalie situation, well I can say that its rare to see a young goalie come out of the box with lots of confidence and big game nerves. That being said, the WNEC kid is the one they broke the mold after. That kid can flat out stop the ball. So back to Cortland....I really hope that one of the three competing for the job really shines early and just plays heads and shoulders above the others. This way we wont see another two or three goalie competition heading into the middle of the season or further. A look back in history gives us benny vs skippion, then robinson vs hipp and although they have been to the dance four years in a row we all know it wasnt because one of theses guys carried the team on his shoulders with some exception being made for benny in 2006 as he was really a good goalie his whole senior year. Now thats not a knock on any of them but for the present we need one of thoses guys to step up and start gaining the experience that will help to build his confidence. So like some have said the first few games could be a little rough but no matter what the outcome they will be a force to be delt with come time to start the sunyac part of their schedule if not sooner. The great thing is that with such a strong cast of returning players on the offensive side of the ball and one of the countries best face off guys guys/middies the pressure will be taken off the defense much of the time.
Superlite II

New postby idealtin on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:23 am

Superlite: while I will agree with you on CStates midfield being very good, I think you are underestimating what Noble and Lemon brought to the table, they were very good and did a great job in their defensive positions, scheidman returns and perhaps by sunyac time the defense will be ready, but your new goal keeper is going to have to stand on his head in the beginning of the season to keep you in the games, probably a good thing Geneseo is down this year or perhaps your team would feel Ithaca's or Geneseo's pain of missing the dance. ( How is that for forum fodder?)
idealtin

New postby D-III on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:39 am

idealtin wrote:Superlite: while I will agree with you on CStates midfield being very good, I think you are underestimating what Noble and Lemon brought to the table, they were very good and did a great job in their defensive positions, scheidman returns and perhaps by sunyac time the defense will be ready, but your new goal keeper is going to have to stand on his head in the beginning of the season to keep you in the games, probably a good thing Geneseo is down this year or perhaps your team would feel Ithaca's or Geneseo's pain of missing the dance. ( How is that for forum fodder?)

I actually think Hoyt is a bigger loss than Noble/Lemon. That said Cortland will be just fine, they have several poles waiting in the wings that will step in (i.e. Kennedy/Gallagher). Lets not forget that their D last year basically had to adjust on the fly with All-Conference defender Mitchell battling injury most of the season.
D-III

New postby D-III on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 am

Someone out there willing to explain in greater detail than the poll comments why Stevenson is the #1 or #2 team in the country?

I understand, they return their attack, this has been widely broadcast for 8 months now. They also return a very good goalie, and a nice group of poles (though they graduated their best pole Simon).

This is a team that only managed 8 goals against Cabrini and 7 against Gettysburg in the tournament last year, both games at home. Was their offense really that potent? Rewatching the Gettysburg game, Hank controlled the ball, pressured their midfield (which was not that strong) and Stevenson responded by getting frustrated, turning the ball over and scoring only 7 goals in the biggest game of the year.

Against top-20 opponents they averaged 10.2 goals a game last year, certainly respectable, but not eye popping as the press their attack gets would have you think.

Fast foward to 2010 and they graduated the only 4 offensive midfielders who got significant run. Not to mention Furshman was their #1 face-off guy and he was huge there in the Gettysburg loss. So with that, how do so many see improvement?

I'll go on record that this team does not win the CAC and does not get near Memorial Day. Watching the Final Four game again, I just don't see it, but I have been wrong before.
D-III

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III