13Rensselaer (0-0)114 
14Denison (0-0)107 
15Nazareth (0-0)105 
16Cabrini (0-0)93 
17Dickinson (0-0)87 
18Bowdoin (0-0)77 
19St. Mary's (0-0)36 
20Western New England (0-0)27 
Others receiving votes: St. John Fisher (24), Goucher (17), Stevens (16), Ithaca (13), Hampden-Sydney (13), Wesleyan (11), Union (10), Endicott (7), Williams (6), Widener (4), Washington & Lee (4), Wittenberg (4), Montclair State (3), Colorado College (2), Ursinus (1)

Number of voters: 19 (AO, beachbum, brutus of apple hill, Cloverdale, corkscrew, D-III, DellMan22, goalielax10, idealtin, LaxUnlimited, laxweforget, MasonDixonLine29, minkhoo, Richard, Swank_Lax, thatsmell, valaxfan, wheniwasakid..., Youngred)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Pollsters' Comments

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:34 pm

Pollsters' Comments About Teams They Ranked

Tufts: Top heavy with experience in the juniors and super strength in the goal (#1 and 2 are back). (AO) — National champs who return A LOT. (brutus of apple hill) — Hardest-working team in the country, unstoppable attack - nobody's as good as Hessler, strong faceoff play, need more consistent goalkeeping from Foglietta, just a very balanced team overall that plays their hearts out. (Cloverdale) — Defending the dream season will not be easy, but talent abounds. (corkscrew) — #1. No brainer at the top. Offense should be even better, with Top-5 scorers back, top attack in the nation, and an underrated midfield. D will take time to gel but will surprise. Huge size and dominaant LSMs. Questions continue in goal. (D-III) — #1 until proven otherwise. Will be interesting to see how they handle the spotlight this year. They have a target on their back now in one of the toughest conferences D3. (DellMan22) — #1. Defending champs get the nod for the top spot in my poll ... Seems as if it is unfair who they have returning this year ... Huge target on the Jumbos backs ... Navigating through the NESCAC is never easy and to top it off this year, maybe more than ever, they will receive every teams best shot on their schedule ... Is it possible Hessler could be even better this year?? March 23rd is a mouth watering match-up that everyone should have circled on their calender. A little early to say this but a possible National Championship preview. (goalielax10) — Have to start them off here, but do not think they take it all this year. (idealtin) — #4. Returns a well-above-average 85% of 2010 points. Normally this would make reigning champ the obvious preseason #1. But Tufts graduated ALL of its close D. (laxweforget) — #1. Who else would be here to start the season?!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #1. Defending champs will be challenged in the NESCAC. (minkhoo) — #1. A team that knew how to win last season. They came out on top in six 1-goal games. Making it through the NESCAC is like that. This year's team is not without losses from last year, but such a strong group returns that they should make another run at the #1 spot. Hessler is a candidate for POY. (Richard) — #1. I'm not convinced they can replace the loss of their poles from last year, whose turnovers generated tons of transition offense, but they return so much firepower on the offensive end. Foglietta is the wild card. He needs to have made serious strides in the offseason or his inconsistent play will come back to bite Tufts at an inopportune time. They deserve the top spot for now, but I don't think it's fair to expect another 20-1 season. (Swank_Lax) — Nice run by the Jumbos in 2010. It will be interesting to see how they handle being the hunted, not the hunter. Nice core returning. Could certainly make it two in a row. #2. (thatsmell) — 1. What a great run at the end. Brings NESCAC back to the top, as it should be. I like the fact that Hessler and Witko will be leading the Jumbos O. (valaxfan) — Lose some on D and at midfield but return a lot as well and have newcomers who will play right away. Going to compete for a NC again in 2011. A lot depends on Foglietta and how he plays in big games. (wheniwasakid...) — #1 -- Given their returning personnel, they are deserving of the top slot. (Youngred)

Cortland: Returning goalie, 16 seniors, 14 juniors make these guys my top choice. (AO) — Annual top 5 team. (brutus of apple hill) — Hard to put them #4, but that's how good these other teams are in my opinion - all incredibly even. Returning a good amount of a fantastic 2010 team that just couldn't finish off Tufts when it counted. DeLuca is a monster and fuels the Dragons' efforts. Lost a fantastic SSDM in Burke but return an AA in Eric Parah, who can really push it. Hands down the stingiest defense in the country. (Cloverdale) — Great nucleus returns from another angry team from the North. (corkscrew) — #2. Have a chance to put one of the best defenses in D3 history out there, with all the poles are back, and they always find some athletes to run SSDM. And with Deluca back at midfield and a solid attack, this is a scary team. (D-III) — #2. Deluca and company are back, and the Red Dragons are looking to rebound after a heart breaking 1-goal loss to Tufts in last year's final 4. Not sure if they will reel off 16 straight as they did a year ago, as I can see them possibly heading into SUNYAC play with 3 or 4 losses. Regardless, they will be battle tested come NCAA time. (goalielax10) — Return top defense and Deluca at midfield; they always seem to reload. (idealtin) — #1. Returns essentially all of its defense and an average number of points scored in 2010, arguably the most returning talent of the top 10 teams. (laxweforget) — #2. Still believe they're as strong as they were last year ... Northern bias setting in here!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #3. Always a NC threat. (minkhoo) — #2. Came up short last year. 0-3 vs. top 10 teams. Lots returning this year, and I look for them to get to the final four again. DeLuca might be the best all around player in D3 this year and leads a strong offense. (Richard) — #2. Returning a lot from a team that took Tufts to the wire in the semifinals is never a bad formula for success. Certainly a team to be feared in the North and a true contender for a national championship. (Swank_Lax) — Played in a semifinal or championship game from '06-'10. I think they will be there in '11 too. Lost a few seniors from last year's team, but the Dragons are still stacked. They return AAs M-Deluca, Parah, D-Schneidman, and A-Distefano, Parah. (thatsmell) — 2. Red Dragons played the best lax last May and should be contending again this year. Deluca is back and should be MOY in D3. (valaxfan) — Depth, talent, good coaching and the Upstate mentality mean Cortland will be back for years to come. 2011 is no exception, with the best two-way middie in Div. 3. (wheniwasakid...) — #2 -- May have the best defense in D3, and defense wins championships. (Youngred)

Stevenson: Return 4 of 5 scorers with 40+ points. (brutus of apple hill) — Could this be the spring they win it all? I'm very high on the 'Stangs this year - their attack is just as strong as Tufts' despite losing Kazimer. Moffitt can score at will and freshman Rossi is the highest profile D-III recruit in years. Defense is pretty tough on paper, but not yet proven on the field - only thing holding them back from Memorial Day weekend. Bottom line, they need to beat Salisbury. (Cloverdale) — If everyone is eligible, this is a scary team. Question mark in goal and at least one attack position. (corkscrew) — #4. Strong at attack and close D. Midfield is overrated and need to find a goalie. Rossi will need to live up to expectations. Will be tested early with a strong out of conference schedule. (D-III) — Stevenson continues to make an argument for why they are the up-and-coming powerhouse in the South. However, losing standouts Kazimer and Herbert will surely leave huge holes to be filled in key positions. (DellMan22) — #3. Two straight years of final 4 losses and knocking on championship Sundays door ... Will 2011 be the year the Mustangs kick it in and join the championship party? The schedule is brutal, and Kazmier will be missed, but the senior class, especially on offense, is nothing to sneeze at. (goalielax10) — Loaded throughout. (idealtin) — #2. I give it a slight edge over Salisbury in CAC, as it returns more on both O and D. Replacing AA goalie may be key to its season. (laxweforget) — #4. Great rep, but until they win one, all the chatting up in the world only gets them a #4 vote for preseason. (MasonDixonLine29) — #2. Powerful offensive team. (minkhoo) — #5. How Dailey and Ford perform together could be the key to the Mustangs this year. Although they have been part of the same attack for a couple of years, they haven't been the top two before. It will be interesting to see who is #3 and how they mesh. Witte returns as one of the best faceoff middies in the country. Stevenson needs to and should replace a very good goalie and several midfielders. Picking between Stevenson and Salisbury for the top dog in the CAC is virtually impossible. (Richard) — #6. The loss of Kazimer isn't ideal, but there is no lack of offensive firepower in Owing Mills. There is, unfortunately, a distinct lack of defense that prevented this team from reaching a higher level last year. Will it be any different this year? I'm not so sure it will. Ultimately that leaves them on the outside of conversations about serious contenders, though it will certainly win them plenty of games. (Swank_Lax) — Stevenson has continued to progress in its post-season production in each of the past three years. They had the talent last year. They have the talent all over the field this year. But can the coaching staff keep them going to Memorial Day weekend? #4. (thatsmell) — 3. Had some big losses to graduation but feel like they are the new SSU of lax in MD. Return one pre-season AA at defense. Will they have that spark plug attack again, who will step up? (valaxfan) — This is Stevenson's year to make it to the NC game. They have scoring, depth, and the taste of "almost" in their mouthes. Some perceived holes, but Beaner will have them ready. (wheniwasakid...) — #3 -- Kaz was the QB and will be missed, but Cantabene has built a factory. Freshman are strong, and their depth is scary. (Youngred)

Salisbury: Lost a lot but is deep as usual. (brutus of apple hill) — The eligibility of Tony Mendes puts them over Stevenson in my opinion - paired with Bradman and Zordani, that midfield is flat out scary. J-Rod might be the best keeper in the country. Outstanding coaching. Need some players to step up at attack, but Matt Cannone is proven. Lots of talent waiting in the wings. (Cloverdale) — Lots return from an angry team. An angry SSU team can be a scary thing in May. (corkscrew) — #3. Still the top dog in the South until someone takes them down. Is the book out on how to stop their undisciplined O? (D-III) — Came close last year but always a favorite to return to the 'ship. They will reload again as they do ever year. You better believe Berkman will have his boys prepared for another run into late May. (DellMan22) — #4. It has been 8 years since Salisbury has gone back-to-back years without winning a national championship ... The cupboard is far from bare, and we all know the Gulls somehow reload year in and year out. (goalielax10) — Lost some offense; however, that never seems to be a problem in Gull Land. (idealtin) — #3. Title game performance was a stinker, but it hardly defines this program. Returns enough that it should be able to reload and be in national championship hunt again. (laxweforget) — #3. Until they falter, they'll be in top 3 all season. My pick to represent the South!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #4. Always talented and a real NC threat, like always. (minkhoo) — #4. With things as tight as they are in the top five and the Gulls losses at some key positions, notably VK, Burgesser and 2/3s of their attack, Salisbury starts the year at #4. It will be interesting to see if Bradman can vary his game just enough to give opposing defenses more to consider when developing schemes for the Gulls. All in all they will be strong contenders for the final spot in the South. (Richard) — #3. Adding Tony Mendes, a D1 recruiting darling who never stepped on the field at Maryland or Syracuse because of academic issues, is a huge windfall for the Gulls. He makes an already-potent offense even more dangerous. Though I've been told that Salisbury will play Bradman and Mendes on separate lines, it might behoove Coach Berkman to play them together and dare opposing teams to defend one of them with a shortstick. (Swank_Lax) — Salisbury is known for developing/finding players on a year to year basis. While the Gulls lost some great players, this year's version is well rounded and a throwback to their NC teams of 5-6 years ago - POY candidates, who are motivated and with something to prove, all over the field: Bradman (M), Rodriguez (G), Cannone (A), Tokosh (D). Add a number of bonafide D1 transfers to fill some gaps, and the Gulls will be good AND deep all over the field in 2011. #1. (thatsmell) — 4. Gulls find themselves with a conference that is starting to catch up with them, or has. They still made another great run to the title last year and should be in the mix again. Best goalie in the nation possibly back to lead the way. (valaxfan) — Salisbury's loss to Tufts is still fresh in their minds. Expect this team to come flying out of the gate and contend early. (wheniwasakid...) — #4 -- Thought they could be had last year, but they still wind up playing for the NC. Transfers will be key for the Gulls, but at the end of the day they are always there. (Youngred)

Haverford: Good year with a lot of returners ... are they for real? (brutus of apple hill) — Will be a very dangerous team that could make some noise in May. WAC and Gettysburg had their turn to reign supreme in the Centennial - now its the Squirrels'. Offense was ranked 62nd in GPG but will certainly improve. Hjelm and Monaghan are playmakers at attack. Gregory is a clutch scorer that can light it up. The defense isn't flashy but gets the job done. Banno is an absolute stud in between the pipes. (Cloverdale) — Lots of talent returns, but team must play better in March to avoid backs against the wall in conference playoffs. (corkscrew) — #6. Will the late season momentum continue? Return talent all over the field led by Gregory, Hjelm, and Hamill. Early test against Stevenson. Depth is a question. (D-III) — #5. After starting 2010 5-5, the Fords caught fire, rattled off 7 straight wins (including a Centennial championship) and pushed Salisbury to the brink in overtime during last year's quarterfinal matchup ... NCAAs are long away, but don't be surprised if this is the team to represent the South on Memorial Day weekend. (goalielax10) — The Fords look real good on paper. I think they can contend for the title this year. (idealtin) — #6. Late run mostly justified last year's high preseason expectations. Returns 83% of its 2010 points, an AA G, but loses a lot on D. (laxweforget) — #8. Not sure what this team has besides its strong finish last year. (MasonDixonLine29) — #5. Maybe the best Ford team ever. (minkhoo) — #3. Haverford was a very strong team at the end of the year in 2010. Beating Gettysburg was not a fluke, they were simply a better team. Again this year the personnel losses are a minimum. Look for the Squirrels to come out of the box stronger and make a run deep into the tournament. (Richard) — #5. They started slowly (something I attribute now to the coaching change) but were one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the country come the end of last season. They lose some talented players, but many of their key contributors return, including 5 of 7 All-Conference selections. (Swank_Lax) — Hjelm is back, and this year's team is primed to be a contender year again. I like how the Fords let their early season struggles work themselves out. (valaxfan) — There is considerable talent in the South, and Haverford could be the team to emerge, assuming they are able to make it out their conference. (wheniwasakid...) — #5 -- Won't sneak up on anyone, and the expectations are high with what they return. Need to come out of the gates strong and stay focused, if that happens they can play with anyone. (Youngred)

Middlebury: Equal in strength with Tufts; only cause for pause is the #2 goalie (not a lot of PT last spring). (AO) — Played well down the stretch and return a lot. (brutus of apple hill) — Played soft at times in 2010 and lost some close games. I don't think that will happen this spring. It's rare to see such a great program lose 6 games, even in the daunting NESCAC. I was shocked to see them fall to Tufts 3x when it happened, but that was a helluva team. (Cloverdale) — The Panthers do not like seeing their thunder stolen by a conference member. Lots of talent returns here. (corkscrew) — #5. Defense could be Midd's best ever if they gel, which will keep them in every game. Need several guys to step up at midfield, as they lack depth after the first line. Attack should be solid, with Hild ready to take the leap. (D-III) — #9. All of the Panthers losses came against NESCAC teams last year; half of those losses (3) were at the hands of defending national champion Tufts ... Middlebury will be right in the mix, as usual, come NCAA time. (goalielax10) — Have all the pieces again, including an underrated goalie in Deane. (idealtin) — #5. Middlebury played well late in 2010, improving as the year went on. Returns enough to be among top 5 in the North. (laxweforget) — #7. Could be this year's Tufts. (MasonDixonLine29) — #8. Probably better than where I have them ranked. (minkhoo) — #7. Considering their six losses, Middlebury didn't have such a good year in 2010. Then again, they made it to the third round of the tournament. I don't know if they can expect the same treatment this year, but then again they will be in the top three of the NESCAC. They need to replace Pete Smith. If they do, they will be ok. (Richard) — #4. A team that by my estimation under-performed in 2010, the Panthers have an elite defense, at least on paper. However, they struggle to control the tempo of games and tend to play to the style of their opponents. They have the talent to win games that way, but if they want to win their first NESCAC championship since 2007, they need to do a better job of dictating style of play to their opponents. (Swank_Lax) — 5. Campbell's team starting to take shape with some great recruits taking spots in the lineup. Will be tough to contend in NESCAC against the Jumbos, but last year proved anything can happen. Look forward to seeing the Panthers play in DC against the Generals. (valaxfan) — Athletic D with more experience will be needed early on as Midd's team O comes along. Close games early in the season will become blowouts in the playoffs as they gel. (wheniwasakid...) — #6 -- Might be a bit of a rebuilding year offensively, but they will be very strong on the defensive side of the ball. (Youngred)

Gettysburg: Lots of upperclassmen in the ranks along with a returning goalie; with 14 seniors on the squad, I'm thinking it moves them up one notch over Tufts - but only for that reason. (AO) — Always top 10. (brutus of apple hill) — Certainly a capable team, but I'm not crazy about them. No one player jumps out to me. New faces all around, so we'll see how they fare. Lost every game I expected them to last year and won one (Cortland) I didn't expect them to win. (Cloverdale) — Big losses at midfield and defense, but unless they win some faceoffs they will not reach top 5. (corkscrew) — #9. Faded last year, as they lacked traditional Gettysburg depth and firepower. A lot of holes to fill. Should be deep at midfield, but need to find an attack and replace several poles. Never count them out but on paper this is as vulnerable as the Bullets have looked in years. (D-III) — #8. First time in a very long time that I can remember that the Bullets are not the favorites in the Centennial ... Years past fighting for a Pool C bid wouldn't really be a problem in case Gettysburg had a hiccup or two, but this year the Pool C bids maybe tougher than ever to attain. (goalielax10) — The Centennial Donference should be fun to watch this year. Don't count out the Bullets. (idealtin) — #13. Big losses on O and on D from a team that finished 2010 badly. Always reloads, but the task looks especially big this year. (laxweforget) — #6. Traditionally a strong team every year ... get the preseason nod over Middlebury. (MasonDixonLine29) — #7. Lost a lot, but there are always Bullets to reload. (minkhoo) — #8. Gettysburg will be similar to last year. I expect more offense from the midfield. Cahill and Lynch are good ones. Brody and Reichart need to be replaced on attack. Gettysburg has taken some large hits to graduation the last couple of years. This year might be the year that it catches up to them. Brody. (Richard) — #7. As someone else wrote, this program is rebuilding-year proof. They aren't the alpha-dog in the Centennial and have been notoriously incapable of getting over the hump to a truly elite level, but there is a plethora of talented players who receive some of the best coaching in the country. That gets you places, even if the field seems to be catching up to the Bullets. (Swank_Lax) — Needs to survive the first 8 games of the season against 6-7 teams that could be ranked. Return less stars than usual, so some young Bullets will be asked to log critical minutes early this season. Midfield will be strong. #11. (thatsmell) — Hank has a team whose defense should be good, but with Dickinson and Haverford in the mix now, Centennial is looking stronger than ever, so will that be enough? Can Cahill replace tops scorers and do it all? (valaxfan) — Gettysburg has some serious talent on the team. Still, my only question is, can the new guys step up fast enough to make 2011 a season to remember? I didn't think the Bullets had it preseason 2009, so maybe we're in for the same surprise. (wheniwasakid...) — #7 -- Some pretty key players graduated for the Bullets, but like every year their depth will fill those holes. Love the way they play the game, but I don't see them winning their conference this year. (Youngred)

Roanoke: Always a lot of fire power. (brutus of apple hill) — Lost so many crucial contributors but return a bunch as well. So much talent awaiting their turn. With the transfer of Parnell from 'Cuse, the Maroons could have three AAs at midfield. Defense is somewhat of a question mark, although Burkhead's a beast 1-on-1 and will set the tone. Despite the losses to graduation, the offense could still be top 5 in the country. Will be challenged by Lynchburg more then they have in the past few years. (Cloverdale) — Many, many losses, but top midfield returns and an AA on defense. Goalie is up for grabs, but this team should be able to score as usual. (corkscrew) — #7. Lost a ton to graduation and could slide, but get the benefit of the doubt, as they have talent waiting in the wings. Likely a rebuilding year, but still have a lot of firepower. But the defense could once again be a big problem in Salem. (D-III) — #7. Salisbury back on the schedule is nice ... Who will replace Dorsey, Quinton, March, Love, and Phelps?? Getting to play Stevenson at home is huge. (goalielax10) — Lost a lot of offense and their goalie. Pilat has his work cut out. (idealtin) — #10. Lost as much as any team to graduation: most of its D and a top G. Returns 59% of its points, which is below average. Elite program should be able to reload but probably won't match its outstanding 2010. (laxweforget) — #5. Could be a #4 for preseason ... could possibly be the team to beat in the South this year. (MasonDixonLine29) — #6. Can the Maroons break through to Memorial Day weekend? (minkhoo) — #9. Noke took a big hit from graduation coming into 2011. There seems to be plenty of backup offensively. How well they perform as 1st line players will determine how far Noke goes this year. Things start with Tuma a POY contender. I expect Keating to perform well. On the other side of the line, things could be a little more difficult. Dorsey, Love and Simmons need to be replaced. That is a big deal when it comes to those close games that Noke occasionally finds themselves involved in. (Richard) — #10. The Maroons will undoubtedly crush their usual slate of cupcakes and should take the ODAC despite the presence of an improved Lynchburg squad. I don't expect them to be better than 2010, and I'm not sure that they were really that good last year. Their best wins were over Lynchburg (a team that didn't have a significant win) and an OT win over Gettysburg in the tournament. (Swank_Lax) — Quinton and March will be missed, but Noke has proven to be one of the "reloaders." It remains to be seen who will step up on defense and if Keating can take a leadership role. Blue Chipper SU transfer Parnell is a wildcard who at the very least will add depth to the midfield. #5. (thatsmell) — Noke lost a lot due to graduation but some strong returnees and freshmen will keep them in the hunt for ODAC again. BREAKING NEWS: Noke gets Syracuse middie to transfer - has to help. (valaxfan) — A team that can score, play some D, and benefits from one of the best two-way middies in the game. (wheniwasakid...) — #8 -- Graduated significant talent. Depth is not an issue and reloading is possible, but their losses are not routine. Have to think it will be a down year by their standards in spite of transfer from 'Cuse. (Youngred)

RIT: Everybody on offense can light up the scoreboard. I was kind of surprised to see them lose that many games last year, but they'll be significantly tougher in 2011. Close defense is a question mark, but they do have arguably the best LSM in the nation. (Cloverdale) — Setteling in to new system nicely. This team is poised for big things in 2011. (corkscrew) — #11. Break out year in '10 but graduated their top two Canadians. Still, the class of the E8 with a lot of star power, dominaant LSM and dynamic O. Not sold on their close D, and good teams were able to pile on the goals last year. (D-III) — #6. Preseason favorite in the Empire 8 ... Gillies loss is big, but what the Tigers have gained just maybe that much bigger. (goalielax10) — Lost great F/O man and most of defense. Return lots of offense, so high scoring games are a must. Kiekebelt will have to play many roles this year. Jake Coon's honeymoon season is over. (idealtin) — #7. Once healthy it played like a top 6-8 team in 2010. Meaningful graduation loses on D and lost average amount of 2010 points. Holes to fill, but could produce similar results in 2011. (laxweforget) — #10. Lost solid defensive players and a stud FOGO ... could be overrated here; however, they do return a very good nucleus of offensive power, two very experienced goalkeepers, and a disciplined and demanding coaching staff. (MasonDixonLine29) — #9. Best of the E8. (minkhoo) — #11. #1 E8 team with a huge upside. Last year they were a little too inconsistent; maybe it had to do with a new coach. That should change; if it does watch out. (Richard) — #9. Only below Conn because they sustained more significant losses than the Camels (McRae in particular hurts), but they do return some nice pieces offensively, in particular Bressler and McIntosh. The runaway favorites in the E8. (Swank_Lax) — Big game against RPI early on will tell us a lot about this Senior class and can it carry them to the Liberty title and NCAAs again. (valaxfan) — RIT was interesting in 2010, and I expect the same out of them in 2011. They will improve as the season wears on, but will it be enough to win when it counts? They may lack the athleticism to stay with the top teams. (wheniwasakid...) — #9 -- Return almost everyone from a strong team. With a year under his belt, I think Coon will have them stronger in 2011. (Youngred)

Connecticut College: Only 6 seniors; however, strong in the cage. (AO) — Return a lot after good year. (brutus of apple hill) — The Camels will really challenge Middlebury and Tufts this year. What a phenomenal turnaround in 2010. Dave Cornell's really building a strong program, and I think they're here to stay. (Cloverdale) — Was 2010 a flash in the pan? I believe it was, but they are still a dangerous team. (corkscrew) — #17. Surprise team for most of 2010 but faded down the stretch, losing 3 of last 4 games. Still a solid team. Nice system on D keeps them in most games. Lack of scoring will continue to be a problem. (D-III) — #11. It appears the Camels ran out of gas down the stretch last year, losing 3 out of their last 4 games, including their opening (2nd) round loss to RIT ... CC wont be sneaking up on anyone this year, but they are equipped to make another nice run. (goalielax10) — Lost their best player, and you saw what happens when he did not play (RIT). Won a lot of close games last year that could go the other way this year. (idealtin) — #8. Despite returning 75% of last year's points, the undercurrent is that it cannot survive the loss of Dachille. An improved program, I expect others will pick up the slack and it will be #3 in NESCAC. (laxweforget) — #9. Lose top stud scorer and could still be better than last year. (MasonDixonLine29) — #11. Another outstanding NESCAC squad. (minkhoo) — #6. Things unraveled at the end of the season last year. I expect the experience will help them out this year. Plenty of players all over the field returning. (Richard) — #8. They return a ton but will need to retool their offense to accommodate the loss of Dachille. The good news is that the same Dachille-less Conn team gave RIT a battle in the NCAA tournament. Expecting another 13-0 start might not be fair, but they will be a handful for every team they face. (Swank_Lax) — Nice year last year but ran out of steam in the last quarter. They came from nowhere to scare everyone up North. Michael O'Donnell returns at the X and should be a factor for them each week. (valaxfan) — Conn is the definition of team, which is good, because they don't have a ton of stars on the roster. But everyone can play for the Camels, and they do so together, which gives them a good shot. (wheniwasakid...) — #11 -- Losing Dachille will make it tougher on offense, but they should be solid defensively. On the fence a bit with this team, but it's a program on the rise. (Youngred)

Lynchburg: Good coach with a lot of experience. (brutus of apple hill) — Return a lot of key players all around and have tons of talent in the underclass. This may be the year they knock off Roanoke and get to the NCAAs. Really need a signature non-league win. That's what held them back from the tourney last year. They really have some horses at midfield this year. Might not get a whole lot of credit early this year, but they could really make noise nationally. (Cloverdale) — Most returning starters in the ODAC. Can they pull it all together? Tough schedule early on will be interesting to see. (corkscrew) — #18. Can they get over the hump and beat a ranked team? Return most of their '10 squad and on paper should win the ODAC, but hard to have confidence in the Hornets. (D-III) — #10. Believe it or not, this could be the year the Hornets stop the bleeding against Roanoke, as they have lost 8 out of their last 10 against the Maroons ... ODAC championship anyone? (goalielax10) — Return most of team, but have to beat the Maroons. I think they will. (idealtin) — #9. My preseason pick in the ODAC. Not a great 2010 but returns plenty to build on, while both Roanoke and W&L look to be down in 2011. (laxweforget) — #11. Another "could be" southern surprise this year if they can conquer the "Roanoke" factor. (MasonDixonLine29) — #10. Bouncing back from a few non-tourney years. (minkhoo) — #16. The Hornets were a step below Roanoke last year. This year they should be closer, and maybe they are right on their heels. (Richard) — #14. A test case for the theory about points returned. They didn't beat anyone who really mattered in 2010, but most of the team is back for round two in 2011. I think this year will be more of the same, with wins over teams they should beat and losses to the real elite teams. They do have an outside shot at an ODAC championship, depending upon how Roanoke recovers from their losses to graduation. (Swank_Lax) — A nice, well-rounded team heading into 2011. Lynchburg should be in the ODAC hunt. Hoff and Belinkas will give the Hornets threats from A and M. LSM Gill and D Lisicky will lead on the defensive side. It will be a tough road to the NCAA though a deep ODAC and their out of conference schedule. But if they get there, look out. #8. (thatsmell) — Look for the Hornets to be in the hunt for the ODAC. Return one of the nation's top attackmen in Dylan Hoff. (valaxfan) — We kept hearing how young Lynchburg has been ... is 2011 the year where they win the games they should AND a couple they "shouldn't"? (wheniwasakid...) — #10 -- Young team last year that got better as the season progressed. I see them giving Roanoke a serious run in the ODAC. (Youngred)

Geneseo: Good team with a lot of returners. (brutus of apple hill) — So much talent, but you gotta feel for them since they won't play a home game until late April. AA goalie Costanza is gone, but the Army transfer, Zaremba, is excellent. Return just about everybody on offense and have a pretty tough defense to boot. Inconsistent at times in 2010 and will have to improve on that. (Cloverdale) — Word of a transfer goalie has the Knights fired up. (corkscrew) — #8. Should have their best team ever. Pool C is firmly in their grasps. If a goalie steps up, watch out, they could contend. May and Lange are elite talents and seniors. (D-III) — Will have a huge gap to fill with the loss of Costanza, but the Blue Knights do return a large part of their offense. (DellMan22) — #12. Costanza is gone; cannot put into words what what he meant to the Knights as the backbone of the defense, but if Zaremba takes the bull by the horns and becomes the starter, Geneseo will be a force to reckon with ... 4/27 at home against Cortland ... as Bart Scott would say ... can't wait. (goalielax10) — Lots of offense returning and a very, very good defense. Two big question marks have to be answered: F/O and goalie. If they are, watch out for this team. (idealtin) — #11. Not a great finish, but still among 2010 top 20. Returns 93% of last year's points and a good core on D. Missing will be outstanding G and FO. An elite program and should be able to reload. (laxweforget) — #15. Have quite a few back ... big hole to fill in goal and FOGO could be an issue. (MasonDixonLine29) — #12. Will battle for the SUNYAC title with Cortland. (minkhoo) — #14. Need to replace a very good goalie. Plenty of players back from last season. As always, the SUNYAC goes through Cortland, but Genny knows that and has never made it easy for the Dragons. (Richard) — #11. There are Shaq-sized shoes to be filled in goal, but rumor has it that a highly-capable replacement has arrived on campus. If Genny can maintain strong play in goal, they will continue to be a strong squad, even if they aren't capable of dethroning Cortland this year. Lange and company will put up points. (Swank_Lax) — Top scores from last year return for another shot at the SUNY title, but must get past the Red Dragons to make the dance. (valaxfan) — Genny got a good goalie to transfer in? They're back in my top 10. They play the team game and rely on a good keeper, which they have again. (wheniwasakid...) — #12 -- Returning a scary amount of talent on offense but need to replace their keeper and a heck of a FOGO. If they can do that, this team could make some noise. (Youngred)

Rensselaer: Impressive record and lots of players back from last year. Cream of crop in their league. (corkscrew) — #10. Surprise team of 2010 returns their D and solid keeper and underrated middie Billy. Should build off of last season's run and control the always underrated Liberty League. (D-III) — #13. Defending Liberty League champs ... Manchester is good enough to lead them to back to back titles. (goalielax10) — #14. Returns preseason AA G and ALL close D from one of 2010's best defenses. Probably has enough returning on an O that improved as 2010 went on to remain atop Liberty another year. (laxweforget) — #12. Good club returning and huge rematch at RIT early will set the stage for their season. (MasonDixonLine29) — #17. Top of the Liberty. (minkhoo) — #10. Top Liberty team. Return most key players. Will have to be at the top of their game to win it for a second year in a row. At the beginning of the year RPI is the #2 team in N.Y. (Richard) — #12. Got embarrassed in the NCAA tournament by Middlebury, who handed them two of their three losses in 2010. The third came in a freak double-OT loss to Montcalir State, something I am willing to write off as more of a fluke than anything else. Definitely the best returning team in the Liberty, though clearly a notch below the elite teams in the country. (Swank_Lax) — Great year for RPI and the Liberty champs. That 2nd game looms large to set the tone for the rest of the season as much of their scoring is gone. (valaxfan) — RPI is in a similar boat to RIT. Talented and lots of potential, but can they run with the big boys? I don't think so, at least not when it matters. (wheniwasakid...) — #16 -- Great year last year, and they return their core, but I believe they may have overachieved somewhat. Will not sneak up on anyone in 2011. (Youngred)

Denison: Lots of hype last year but did not impress. Hungry to win the Midwest and advance. (corkscrew) — #20. The class of the NCAC, they have several huge holes to fill from a squad that came up short in '10. Can they get back to '09 form? (D-III) — #14. A team no one is really talking about ... After the loss to Cabrini that closed out 2010, you can understand why we hear crickets when it comes to the Big Red ... A lot to prove in what is always a crazy NCAC. (goalielax10) — Lost F/O, #1 scorer, and #1 defender, but still will make tournament. Unfair that this conference got three into the NCAA playoffs last year. (idealtin) — #16. Borderline top 20 at end of last season. Should win NCAC easily, with OWU expected to be down in 2011. Holes to fill but a good program. Should be a top 20-25 team again. (laxweforget) — #19. Farrell, Smith, and Jones should lead them to conference title ... not sure if that's enough to go far in tourney ... can be, though!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #14. The best of the Pool B hordes. (minkhoo) — #13. Top team in the NCAC, which means they will get a Pool B bid. This is almost automatic even at this point of the season. This is a good team. I wish it took more to earn the playoff spot, although their out of conference is not too bad. (Richard) — NR - The best NCAC team, but that's like saying UConn was the best football team in the Big East. (Swank_Lax) — A solid program and still the class of the NCAC. The loss of Burton and Detjen will hurt, but this team will still be a tough team come tournament time. #20. (thatsmell) — With Coach C. settling in nicely back in Ohio, look for the Big Red to be an NCAA contender again. (valaxfan) — I expect Denison to move up in the polls during the season and down during the playoffs. It's easy to get up for 3 or 4 big games a year. Need to prove themselves consistently. (wheniwasakid...) — #13 -- Some good talent coming back and will almost certainly win the NCAC. Need to replace a very good face-off man, which will be an issue for the Big Red. (Youngred)

Nazareth: 23 upperclassmen; however, #1 goale graduated. #2's stats say that he seems ample enough to fill the vacancy, but that's a guess. (AO) — The Flyers may be back in 2011. (corkscrew) — #15. Disappointing end last year. Return a great one-two punch at close with Frey and Orr. Have a dynamic attack. Midfield and goal are the questions. Lack depth at midfield. (D-III) — #15. Senior class losses/leadership hurt, but Nazareth still has some talent in the wings and will challenge RIT for E8 supremacy. (goalielax10) — The game is won thru the midfield. If Randall can figure out combinations to go with Castle, Nazareth could go deep this year. Boatloads of talent at all positions. (idealtin) — #18. Not a great finish in 2010. Returns bulk of its D and average amount of points. Borderline top 20 in 2010 and should be about as good in 2011. (laxweforget) — #16. Return potent offensive players; pretty tough out-of-conference schedule; will their defense be better to rise to top of E8? (MasonDixonLine29) — #15. Contender in the E8. (minkhoo) — #15. Nazareth was somewhat of a disappointment last year and hasn't had a big year in a while. This year looks to be more of the same with a strong offense and an ok defense. They need to replace their goalie. (Richard) — #13. Five losses last year, four of which came against teams ranked higher than them in my pre-season poll. A good team that will probably fluctuate in the 10-20 range all season. (Swank_Lax) — E8 is just one tough conference, and the Purple and Gold played well last year. They have another year to prove their case to be back to where they used to be, in the top 20. (valaxfan) — Nazareth will surprise some people in 2011 and win some big games but lose one or two questionable contests. They'll be up and down but not really contending. (wheniwasakid...) — #14 -- Some grinders graduated along with DeCirce, but they should be stronger in 2011. Always dangerous. (Youngred)

Cabrini: Weak conference schedule will not help this team, but lots of talent all over the field returns. Goalie will be new. (corkscrew) — #19. Same story, different year: they'll rack up wins, but are they a legitimate Top-20 team? This year, no Grugan. (D-III) — #18. The PGE (Post Grugan Era) has begun. (goalielax10) — The only thing worse as far as the NCAA qualifier than the CSAC is the North Coast Conf. Cabrini lost to the Fords, Maroons, and the Bullets last year. Beat everyone else, but who were they? (idealtin) — #12. Appears to return entire D. Cannot replace Grugan, but does return average amount of 2010 points. (laxweforget) — #14. Status quo in conference ... should win it going away ... out of conference is competitive. Lose Grugan and Kapp; Skulski and Hill should keep offense moving. (MasonDixonLine29) — #16. Always a good team, with a challenging out-of-conference schedule to offset a less challenging conference slate. (minkhoo) — #12. Will the loss of Grugen hurt? Yes, but not so much to keep these guys from winning their league and being competitive with the big boys that they schedule on a regular basis. (Richard) — #18. No Grugan and definitely not an elite team, but the last few spots in the top 20 could really go to a multitude of teams. The definition of a borderline top 20 team. (Swank_Lax) — Loses Grugan but returns most of their points in a weak conference and should be back. (valaxfan) — Cabrini will be solid, but I don't expect greatness from them in 2011. (wheniwasakid...) — #18 -- Losing Grugan cannot be underscored from a team that was inconsistent with him. He was a special player, a QB, and I see no evidence that anyone on this team can come remotely close to filling his shoes. (Youngred)

Dickinson: Don't let all the losses fool you. A great defensive team that needs a new goalie and faceoff man. Still dangerous in the Centennial. (corkscrew) — #12. Had a breakout season last year, with a senior laden squad. Still feature two of the best poles in the nation in Haire and Pallandino. Where will the goals come from, though? (D-III) — #23. Graduation hits abound. (goalielax10) — #24. Could easily be much better than this. Loses some key defenders, a strong G, and returns only 49% of its 2010 points. Few programs can reload immediately from such heavy losses. It would not surprise me if it shows in 2011 it is now one of those programs. (laxweforget) — #18. Will Haire and Palladino lead this year!! Can they repeat last year's run. out of conference schedule is as tough as they come. (MasonDixonLine29) — #13. Heavy losses, but still lots of talent. (minkhoo) — #19. I seriously doubt they stay in the Top 20 for very long given the massive losses they suffered, but they deserve a measure of respect for their 2010 campaign. Again, 16-20 in the poll is really a crapshoot at this point. (Swank_Lax) — Lost a lot since last year, but a team that should be a factor in the Centennial. #19. (thatsmell) — Ran into a buzz saw at year's end to the Fords. Must keep that focus and look to replace top scorers if they want to repeat last year's totals. (valaxfan) — Dickinson could be good, but I seem to say that every year, and then they stay in the 12-25 range. Is this the year they make a real push? (wheniwasakid...) — #15 -- Best year in program history in 2010, but the seniors were the backbone of the team. Cannot see them duplicating the success of last year, but they are another team on the rise. (Youngred)

Bowdoin: 3rd in 2010 SOS rankings; 16 upperclassmen and dependable goal tending returns for 2011. (AO) — #13. First midfield could be nation's best, led by Kit Smith, and will be paired with excellent attack. A lot of holes on D will hold them back. Do the Polar Bears have talent waiting in the wings? (D-III) — #17. Polar Bears are flying under the radar as all the NESCAC talk (and rightfully so) seems to surround Tufts, Middlebury, and Connecticut College. (goalielax10) — #21. Some holes to fill, particularly on D, but should be #4 in NESCAC and in the top 20 discussion. (laxweforget) — #20. Another tough NESCAC team; open up with Wesleyan and Nazareth ... brutal!! (MasonDixonLine29) — #18. NESCAC talent is deep. (minkhoo) — #20. #4 team out of the NESCAC. (Richard) — #15. I feel as if I write the same thing every year for this team. They have a plethora of talented players but always manage to lose some puzzling games. The potential is there for them to compete and beat the three NESCAC teams above them, but it seems that for one reason or another, that potential always goes unrealized. Goalie will be a serious question mark, with Jake McCampbell as the only returning goalie with significant experience. (Swank_Lax) — Bears have a lot of kids coming back so expect to see them battle for an spot in the NCAAs. (valaxfan) — Could take the PBears a while to get rolling but when they do, they'll run with anyone. (wheniwasakid...) — #17 -- Consistently gritty team, and it won't be different this year. Relatively young in 2010, could be a factor in the NESCAC. McCabe is a HOF caliber coach. (Youngred)

St. Mary's: I like SMC with 26 upperclassmen (16 seniors) and goalies 1 and 2 returning. (AO) — #23. An after thought in the top heavy CAC but return a almost everyone. That said, the loss of Alexander is huge. (D-III) — #16. Could there be three teams from the CAC in the NCAAs this year?? Don't scoff at the Seahawks, as they may pull an upset or possibly two this year. (goalielax10) — #17. On the fringe of top 25 last year. Should be better this year. Returns 86% of its points and most of its D. (laxweforget) — 21. Should be competitive in CAC, but Stevenson and Salisbury loom big here!!! Rosson, Hatley, and Windsor should lead the way. (MasonDixonLine29) — #19. St. Mary's has been quietly building a strong program over the past several years. This year is their year to break into the top 20. Heavy on the returning players and a nice recruiting class. The top two in the CAC have company this year. (Richard) — Returns a nice core of players on the defensive side of the ball. Attackers Rosson and Mull should provide scoring punch. Mids will be a question. A team that was "on the fringe" last year, the season opener against Roanoke should be a nice guage of where the Seahawks are headed for 2011. #16. (thatsmell) — #21 -- Like to see them build on last year, but they need to break through with a win over someone they're not supposed to beat. Tough sledding with Stevenson and Sals in conference. (Youngred)

Western New England: #16. Snake bitten by injuries last season, but don't sleep on this team. Jez and O'Keefe are back to lead the way on offense, and Knowlton should break out. (D-III) — #19. Too much talent (IMO) as I expect them to rebound from an average season last year, win the TCCC, and make a strong run. (goalielax10) — Klepacki will have this team turned around. Knowlton in goal for a year without Pabis and some healthy players will be good for them. (idealtin) — #22. Maybe the most upside on my list. Returns all but 1 (very good) pole, an AA G, and over 80% of its points. (laxweforget) — #17. Looking to get up the rankings with a new attitude. Will Knowlton return to his old form and they need O'Keefe to stay healthy?? Pretty good recruiting class should keep things competitive. (MasonDixonLine29) — #18. A young team last year with talent. A year's experience with their system, and I can see them winning their conference. On the other hand, they don't surprise teams with their style any longer. (Richard) — #16. Remember them? The Golden Bears lost 2010 for one reason: injuries. Fortunately, injuries tend to be as a result of random chance and a healthy WNEC team has the potential to be a force with a solid offensive core and a phenomenal goalie in Brewster Knowlton. (Swank_Lax) — Ended the season on a disappointing note. Look for the Golden Bears to bounce back in 2011. (thatsmell)

St. John Fisher: Mounting up lots of wins but snubbed for playoffs last year. They do not want to be left out of the dance in 2011. (corkscrew) — 25. Will be competitive as the above ranked E8 teams. (MasonDixonLine29) — #17. Programs that have shown a steady pattern of improvement, as SJF has, do so because their coach has designed and executed a successful method for building a program. That gives me confidence in picking them to be relevant in 2011,despite some important losses to graduation. (Swank_Lax)

Goucher: Goucher is coming off a great season and looks to be the favorite in the Landmark again this year. Tough battles with WAC and Gettyburg at home early should set the tone for the season. (DellMan22) — Scheduled some good early season games and return some firepower, so we shall see. (idealtin) — #19. Nearly cracked top 20 last season. Returns 89% of last year's points. Should improve year-to-year. (laxweforget) — #25. Could be even better. (minkhoo) — #23. 2010 was Goucher's best year ever. It's interesting being right in the middle of a hotbed that it took so long. Good coach, nice facilities and a shot at the tournament on a regular basis might take this program to the next level. (Richard) — #20. Why not? They banged with Middlebury for most of their NCAA game and might be frisky given the right circumstances. (Swank_Lax) — A team that has steadily progressed over the years. Questions in goal, but have AA leaders at D (Dunn) and M (Lynch) as well as returning their leading scorer at A (Averett). A more exerienced team in 2011, they could pose fits for someone come NCAA time. #15. (thatsmell) — Landmark title holder should repeat this year. (valaxfan) — #19 -- Return a lot of fire power from last year's team. But like a lot of other team's, they are no longer under the radar, and that will make it tougher in 2011. (Youngred)

Stevens: Lots of upperclassmen experience; goalie graduated and that's a big hole for the moment. (AO) — #15. Probably returns most of any top D3 team year-to-year: entire D and 88% of its points. That indicates significant improvement. Replacing AA G will be key to how much improvement they make. (laxweforget) — #20. I like their nickname. (minkhoo) — #17.The Ducks have a year under their belt with the new coach and plenty of returnees. I expect them to give Nazareth and RIT a good run in the E8. (Richard) — NR - Another team that will put the theory of points returned theory to the test. Not sure they will be a top 20 team, but there is a glimmer of hope. (Swank_Lax)

Ithaca: #14. Young team in '10 that came on at the end of the year. Return talent all over the field including one of the nation's top goalies. Could make their way back into the Top 10. (D-III) — Lost four players in Neuman, Heckman, Powers, and Lohan. With Gal returning in goal and if team does not start out in funk, they will be the Bombers of old (I hope not). (idealtin) — #20. Was probably one of the best 20-25 teams at season's end. Returns a lot of D and 78% of its 2010 points. Should be in top 20 discussion. (laxweforget)

Hampden-Sydney: Seem to back to previous form. (brutus of apple hill) — Loss of top midfielder, defenseman and goalie, but all attack returns and most of defense. Can the Tigers get back in the top 20 discussion in 2011? (corkscrew) — #24. Can they finally make a run at the top 20? Odds are against them, but surprisingly talented on offense could make them an nontraditional HSC squad as they move to uptempo. (D-III) — #23. Borderline top 25 last season. Returns bulk of D and average amount of points. I expect improvement year-to-year. (laxweforget) — 24. Will have to earn movement into the top 20. (MasonDixonLine29) — #21. Rebounding from some down years. (minkhoo) — NR - Inside Lacrosse ranked them, which is pretty funny. Not a top 20 team. Just needed to put that out there. (Swank_Lax) — Some talent on this team but probably not enough to knock off the best teams in their conference, let alone the entire South. (wheniwasakid...) — #23 -- Losing Jett will sting, but they had a very nice year in 2010 that they can build on. If I'm right that 'Noke is down a bit this year, HSC could have an opportunity in the ODAC. (Youngred)

Wesleyan: #22. Another team with a down year in '10 but came on strong down the stretch. Zone D should be as strong as ever, but where will the goals come from? Regardless, this is a Top-20 program which should rebound. (D-III) — #13. Kelley and Simmons should lead the way in the highly competitive NESCAC. Seven of the squad's opening eight games are away from home this season. (MasonDixonLine29) — Wesleyan makes my top 20 because of the run they put on at the end of last year. Last year's JRs saw what it took and know they have to do it all year to make a real run. (wheniwasakid...)

Union: Have them ranked over RPI and St. Lawrence solely on goalkeeper, who is top notch. (idealtin) — #25. Returns the bulk of its D and AA G. Not strong enough offensive team in 2010 and may be challenged again in 2011. Probably edges St. Lawrence for #2 spot in Liberty. (laxweforget) — #25. A strong defensive team with a top goalie, Union needs to bump their offense in order to break through in the Liberty. I don't know that I see where it will come from unless there is somebody new or someone steps up big time. (Richard) — #25 -- It was either Union or SJF here for me. Going with Union because I like their coach. Like the fact that they continue to beef up their schedule while SJF continues to play cupcakes OOC. (Youngred)

Endicott: #21. Hagarty, Prentice, Lipkovich all gone or they could have been in my top 20. (goalielax10) — 23. Could be in the 15-20 range. (MasonDixonLine29) — #19. Best of the Commonwealth. (minkhoo) — #24. A tournament team last year that should be stronger considering what they have returning. Will again have to get by WNEC, no easy task. (Richard) — Gulls had a nice year and are looking for a repeat this year with returning class. (valaxfan)

Williams: My 2011 dark horse. Reasons: 2nd in 2010 SOS. Starting goalie is back along with 12 seniors and 10 juniors. Five of last year's losses were by 2 goals or less. Question for me is, can they score? (AO)

Widener: Return most of offense and goalie. (idealtin)

Washington & Lee: 22. All said and done, still have Lynchburg and Roanoke to contend with. (MasonDixonLine29) — #21. (thatsmell)

Wittenberg: Lots of talent back from a team that made the NCAAs. Experience will help tremendously. (corkscrew)

Montclair State: #22. Will play inspired lacrosse this year ... JG R.I.P. (goalielax10) — #22. Last year was a breakthrough season. A strong group returns. Hopefully they can get past a tough off-season. (Richard)

Colorado College: #20. Schedule is a little light, and the Tigers should roll through the SCAC and get a bid to NCAAs. (goalielax10) — #24. Class of the SCAC this year. (minkhoo)

Ursinus: #20 -- My Dark Horse team. It's a new culture at Ursinus with Steele, and I think this is a team to keep an eye on. (Youngred)

Other Teams Pollsters Considered (and comments, if any)

Colby: #22 -- Losing McCarthy doesn't help, but they have a difference maker at the X. Domingos will fill the other guy's shoes just fine and maybe better. (Youngred)

Skidmore:

St. Lawrence: #21. One down year and forgotten, expect them to rebound. (D-III) — #25. Wouldn't be surprised if they derailed the RPI express and won the LL this year. (goalielax10) — #21. I'm back on the SLU bandwagon this year. Last year was much like their 2005 season, when they had a good but very young team. Look for their attack to be more productive, their defense to remain strong, and their goaltending to be consistent, all with a year's experience behind them. (Richard)

Amherst: #25. Could surprise. New head coach Thompson has some toys to play with, including what could be the nation's best first line midfield. Lack of poles will hold them back, but the Jeffs will be a contender in '11. (D-III) — NR - Will definitely surprise someone this year thanks to some elite offensive talent, but ultimately no defensive talent will kill any aspirations to be consistently ranked. (Swank_Lax)

McDaniel: #24. Improving. (goalielax10) — #24 -- Another program heading in the right direction. Wtih the exception of Preston, they come back pretty much intact. Will be interesting to see how they do w/o Preston -- someone needs to pass the ball. (Youngred)

Ohio Wesleyan: #23. Another Pool B likely. (minkhoo)

Keene State: #22. Best of the Little East. (minkhoo)
DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Men's D3 Preseason Forum Poll

New postby Swank_Lax on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 pm

AO, you need to recheck the Williams roster...
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby richard on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm

135 points floating around beyond #20 and SLU didn't even get 1. This will change by years end.
"I'm not lost, Kansas City's lost."- W.C. Fields
richard

New postby D-III on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Excellent job by all, you won't find a better Poll out there.

Looking deeper at the distribution of points:

1. Its interesting to see how tight Salisbury/Stevenson and Haverford/Middlebury and Gettysburg/Roanoke were in the Poll as I found myself struggling when comparing those exact teams in the same slots as the final product. Splitting hairs;

2. Looks like overall we have consensus Top-4, a consensus Top-12 and a consensus Top-18. #19 and #20 were completely up for grabs;

3. RIP WAC;

4. A whooping 22 teams were either "receiving votes" or "also considered", but I bet there is at least one team not listed at all that comes out of no where and makes the Top 20. Last year it was Conn College and RPI. My early guess is it will be Springfield this year. Any others?

5. Tufts was #9 in the Preseason Poll last year and won the NC, can this year's #9 RIT do the same in 2011?

6. 5 of our preseason Top-20 last year finished the season unranked, who will suffer the same fate in 2011?
D-III

New postby nclax01 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

In response to your question about what team may find itself in the top 20 at season's end that's not currently included...I'm thinking if McDaniel can absorb the loss of Preston and the goalie situation shakes it self out, they could easily be a team with top 15-20 potential. As youngred pointed out, they are a team headed in the right direction. Going for three straight trips to the CC playoffs, which is not easy to do these days.
nclax01

New postby bad knees on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks again to all who take the time and effort, and have the cojones, to offer up their views on the difficult subject of D-III lax. I find almost all of the comments to be sensible and thoughtful. I will have to agree with Swanker about AO, however. Someone needs to tell him that the NESCAC teams don't post their rosters until after Feb 15. Thus,the current Williams roster still shows standout goalie Vrla as a current player, even though he graduated in 2010. I also found it interesting that AO thinks that Tufts' strength is at goal. I am sure that Steve Foglietta appreciates the support, given the comments on his play by most, but considering the Jumbos' obvious other strengths, I don't think anyone can really argue that goalie play is at the top of the list.
bad knees

New postby GSULax on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:09 pm

first signs of life for the 2011 DIII season, defiantly going to be a good year.

Im a bit surprised Union only received 10 votes..they return an outstanding goalie and there top 2 scorers on O. I dont think they push the top 15 but I can see them floating some wheres around 19 or 20.

Interesting point you made about RIT DIII. I think this team is actually underrated (im not sure who they would replace but they feel better than a 9 ranking). They have some awesome talent on offense and Coon has proven himself early to be a wise coach.

I have a very hit or miss feeling about Fisher this year. while they probably deserve to be pre season some wheres around 20-25, you just never know what your going to get with these guys. Denoff is a beast, i dont think anyone can argue with that, and i also heard Cummings may be back (anyone know?) but Fisher fell apart when Malone got hurt last year and now they wont have him all year. I think there biggest improvment is the fact that their senior goalies both graduated! they were brutal at times, i think the mcc kid is defiantly an step up, but we will c, there is a big difference in JUCO and DIII.

Speaking of goalie, whats the news on Cortlands keepers? is kaminiski going to be back and be the starter for the dragons?
GSULax

New postby Swank_Lax on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:27 pm

The poll overall is great and I can't really quibble with much, but AO man, what are you talking about in your comments?

I already noted the Williams one, but here are three more...

On Gettysburg: Lots of upperclassmen in the ranks along with a returning goalie; with 14 seniors on the squad, I'm thinking it moves them up one notch over Tufts - but only for that reason.
There is no way you can rank Gettysburg over Tufts. There just isn't. You focus on seniors and goalies so much in your picks, which is just an inexplicable method. gettysburg lost to Roanoke last year in the tourney, Tufts won a title. Not sure how they are even in competition for the same place on the poll.

On Tufts: Top heavy with experience in the juniors and super strength in the goal
Strength in goal? I guess you never saw them play, did you?

On Bowdoin: 3rd in 2010 SOS rankings; 16 upperclassmen and dependable goal tending returns for 2011.
Williamson isn't back and Jake McCampbell hardly qualifies as dependable goal-tending.

I'd be curious to see your full top 20 AO and hear why you think such a simplistic analysis of the # of seniors and goalies matters so much. I think transparency is important here and not including many comments or rankings really hurts that.
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby wheniwasakid... on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 pm

that's right, GSU! I defy anyone to say this isn't going to be a good year! :dance:
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby thatsmell on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:55 pm

IMO, those top 4 teams are awfully close. It really was splitting hairs as far as who's the best, right now.
Cortland looks like a dangerous, dangerous team. And I never thought I'd be an "outlier" picking the gulls as #1.

:D

I'm down on G'burg more than I've been in years past. Their first 8 games will give their new guys a test:

at Messiah
Hampden-Sydney*
at Goucher*
at Salisbury*
Merchant Marine
Cortland*
Cabrini*
Haverford*

*All received votes in the poll

:shock:

I think the teams most likely to disappear from the poll by years end, may be the "3rd teams" from many conferences- centennial, capital, NESCAC, E8 etc..
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby MasonDixonLine29 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:11 pm

GSULax wrote:first signs of life for the 2011 DIII season, defiantly going to be a good year.

Interesting point you made about RIT DIII. I think this team is actually underrated (im not sure who they would replace but they feel better than a 9 ranking). They have some awesome talent on offense and Coon has proven himself early to be a wise coach.

I have a very hit or miss feeling about Fisher this year. while they probably deserve to be pre season some wheres around 20-25, you just never know what your going to get with these guys. Denoff is a beast, i dont think anyone can argue with that, and i also heard Cummings may be back (anyone know?) but Fisher fell apart when Malone got hurt last year and now they wont have him all year. I think there biggest improvment is the fact that their senior goalies both graduated! they were brutal at times, i think the mcc kid is defiantly an step up, but we will c, there is a big difference in JUCO and DIII.

Speaking of goalie, whats the news on Cortlands keepers? is kaminiski going to be back and be the starter for the dragons?

GSU...agree here re=> RIT; however, with them losing Macrae and Lewis and now their returning pole is not in school this spring, Coon and Mckee will have to really earn their pay here...not to say the guys they had playing FallBall didn't step up, but they have some huge boots to fill here (IMO you can't replace Macrae, you just adjust the way you play); they're solid in goal (2 Srs) and very good at SSDM, LSM, and MF; offensively they'll go as Macintosh, Cherami, Davis and Bressler take them; they looked pretty good this fall and the others stepping in to replace Gillies, Burke, etc., did an adequate job in the Fall and I know they've been working hard since then....Major question is who will step-in and produce at FOGO as Jerry Rags graduated!!! They need to solve that piece of the puzzle; all the rest will fall into place as they're chock full of motivated seniors who been together for 3 plus years now, got a taste of success under a really good coach, and they want more this year.
Last edited by MasonDixonLine29 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasonDixonLine29

New postby youngred on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:41 pm

Even though it's not my MO to break anyone's stones around here, I must concur with Swank. Do your freakin' homework and make the effort in order to make this poll the most legit gauge of D3 lacrosse that it can be. It's been just that for years, let's keep it that way. It's one thing to have a different opinion but it's another thing to be uninformed -- Swank won't be alone in blowing the whistle. This is the first poll of the year, the least you new fellas could do is to comment on each team, wait until mid-season to slack off. Cat got your tongue Beachbum? Couldn't make the effort to wax poetic about one team? Might have been different if you could have rationalized working Whittier in there huh? Dellman, very spotty commentary bro. Last but not least, have the cojones to include where you ranked each team, don't hide behind your avatar (get a new one AO, that thing is terrible). Make this thing as good as it's always been. You new guys have big shoes to fill. Bring back Stew and the General, those were the days... It's no fun bashing G'burg without you Stew.
youngred

New postby wheniwasakid... on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I remember when I had to walk uphill both ways through 12 feet of snow to hand deliver this poll.
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby MasonDixonLine29 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 pm

kid----you forgot that "you were wearing one shoe on both feet!!!" :D :clap: :dance:
MasonDixonLine29

New postby thatsmell on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm

Since everyone's raking each other over the coals, feel free to throw me under the bus too.
I just noticed a few of my comments are missing from the poll.
I worked on my poll all weekend, and saved my poll again today at about 12- 12:30 as a draft. I continued to add comments right up until 1 p.m when I submitted it as final.
Must not have made the final submission in time...

:doh:

Sorry Youngred, Haverford was one of the last teams I commented on.
But if it makes you feel any better, I didn't say anything that wasn't said more eloquently by our other pollsters...

:D
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby minkhoo on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:49 pm

This is my least favorite poll every year and yet it is the one that draws the most commentary. I will guarantee one thing. Everybody is wrong.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." Who said that? No, you're probably wrong again. That quote and variations on it have been attributed to (among others):

Yogi Berra
Casey Stengel
Niels Bohr
Sam Goldwyn
Will Rogers
Mark Twain
Albert Einstein
George Bernard Shaw
Victor Borge
Groucho Marx
Woody Allen
Confucius

All of them agree that the freshman look great, #21 is a monster and #16 is just sick with the stick. Nobody knows who the backup LSM will be though.

:oh_the_drama:
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
-Arthur Carlson
minkhoo

New postby sirhope44 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Roanoke rating is more than fair.
They have some big out of conference games this year, but like every other year it's about winning the ODAC and gaining the AQ.
Lynchburg College, Washington & Lee and Hampden-Sydney are the Big Games in the ODAC like every other year.
Randolph-Macon will be decent if you read there 2011 board.

I will be a distant Black Squirrel fan this year.
Haverford will be fun to watch.
The Stevenson game has to be consider the biggest game of the early season .
Watch out if Black Squirrels win!
The Centennial Conference is the best in the country and there AQ will be the hardest to gain.
I know richard will be looking forward to the St. Lawrence game.
We will see if SLU can make there bones and gain credibility with a good showing.
The Great Santini said. "They were running - it's a good sign when you see the enemy running. There was another good sign." "What was that, Dad?" "They were on fire."
sirhope44

New postby AO on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Swank_Lax wrote:The poll overall is great and I can't really quibble with much, but AO man, what are you talking about in your comments?

I already noted the Williams one, but here are three more...
I missed on the goalie -yes, he graduated. But, the upperclassmen count stands

On Gettysburg: Lots of upperclassmen in the ranks along with a returning goalie; with 14 seniors on the squad, I'm thinking it moves them up one notch over Tufts - but only for that reason.
There is no way you can rank Gettysburg over Tufts. There just isn't. You focus on seniors and goalies so much in your picks, which is just an inexplicable method. gettysburg lost to Roanoke last year in the tourney, Tufts won a title. Not sure how they are even in competition for the same place on the poll.
Relax, Swank and untwist your knickers. I decided to go with a different tack this year on pre-season picks and put more of a reliance on senior & upperclassmen leadership than in past polls. I saw G-burg with an SOS of 6 and a returning goalie with 6.76 GAA; Tufts a 7, goalies with 7.49 & 8.47 GAAs; equal numbers in the upperclass ranks -meaning 'leadership'.

On Tufts: Top heavy with experience in the juniors and super strength in the goal
Strength in goal? I guess you never saw them play, did you?
-Nope; didn't see them and 2/3rds of the rest of the DIII teams out last season (got to out more). But, you're right; Foglietta's 7.24 GAA probably isn't that great, especially in light of the weak schedule Tufts plays :roll:

On Bowdoin: 3rd in 2010 SOS rankings; 16 upperclassmen and dependable goal tending returns for 2011.
Williamson isn't back and Jake McCampbell hardly qualifies as dependable goal-tending. The roster has Williamson as class of 2012; so, if he's left school, I wouldn't have know that unless I called and spoke with Coach McCabe. My bad

I'd be curious to see your full top 20 AO and hear why you think such a simplistic analysis of the # of seniors and goalies matters so much. I think transparency is important here and not including many comments or rankings really hurts that.
. You must be kidding; seniors & goalies are a measurement of a team's leadership potential (or lack of). And with teams at this level having more than ample amounts of talent and skill, the tie-breaker is always about game-leadership and game maturity -anyone who's ever spent time coaching at the college level will vouch for that. It's unfortunate that you chose to single me out as that I spent more time than I'd care to admit visiting the websites and compiling stats on 35 different teams before putting my votes up. Takes the fun out of participating
Last edited by AO on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stay thirsty, my friends"
AO

New postby ridethebench on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Nice to see SMCM getting some early season love......
ridethebench

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III