Men's D3 Forum Poll for 3/21

Men's D3 Forum Poll for 3/21

New postby DakotaDan on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm

LaxPower MD3 Forum Poll #5
March 21, 2011

RankTeamPast Week (or Since Last Poll)Pts.1stPrev.
1Stevenson (8-0)W Roanoke 16-6, W Cortland 10-833072
2Tufts (3-0)W Lasell 23-5, W Colby 14-9327101
3Salisbury (7-0)W Wesley 24-103084
4Cortland (4-1)L Stevenson 8-102923
5RIT (4-0)W Clarkson 12-102626
6Stevens (6-0)W Lynchburg 13-1024610
7Middlebury (2-1)W Springfield 13-9, L Wesleyan 8-91925
8Roanoke (5-2)L Stevenson 6-16, W Lynchburg 14-111789
9Rensselaer (4-1)W Southwestern 18-3, W Elmira 12-217611
10tHaverford (5-2)L Gettysburg 4-101677
10tWesleyan (5-0)W Farmingdale 15-9, W Middlebury 9-8167NR
12Dickinson (6-1)L Skidmore 7-9, W Widener 9-81608
13Denison (4-1)W St. Mary's 16-4, W Merchant Marine 17-415213
14Gettysburg (5-3)W Cabrini 9-8, W Haverford 10-414218
15St. John Fisher (6-0)W Brockport 12-6, W Oneonta 11-611619
16Trinity (3-0)W Western Connecticut 12-4, W Bowdoin 9-777NR
17Lynchburg (4-4)L Stevens 10-13, L Roanoke 11-147112
18Cabrini (3-3)L Gettysburg 8-9, W Fairleigh Dickinson 11-64815
19Skidmore (4-1)W Dickinson 9-7, W Clark 14-235NR
20Hampden-Sydney (4-2)L W&L 8-93014
Others receiving votes: Bowdoin (16), Franklin & Marshall (16), Amherst (10), Union (9), Wittenberg (9), Colorado College (8), Keene State (8), Eastern Connecticut (5), Colby (5), Geneseo (4), Hamilton (3), Nazareth (1)

Number of voters: 17 (AO, beachbum, Cloverdale, corkscrew, D-III, DellMan22, goalielax10, idealtin, LaxUnlimited, laxweforget, MasonDixonLine29, minkhoo, Richard, thatsmell, valaxfan, wheniwasakid..., Youngred)

Pollsters' Comments About Teams They Ranked

Stevenson: #2. Big win over Cortland but have to work on some things before Tufts in two days, especially clearing. (Cloverdale) — #2. Awesome win over Cortland, but may have to do it on a neutral field down the road. Roanoke game was a cakewalk as expected. Overall, proved they can win uptempo or slow down. (D-III) — Great win over their toughest opponent so far this season. Looking forward to Wednesday! (DellMan22) — #2. Withstood the stall ball tactics of Cortland and proved they can play fast and play slow ... Win on Wednesday, and they will be everyone's unanimous #1 team. (goalielax10) — #2. Nice win over Cortland. Watched 2nd half on video and saw a lot of bad clears; it always looks so easy on TV. (idealtin) — #1. Beat the team I had ranked #1. Must beat Tufts this week to stay here. (laxweforget) — #2. It's all about Wed. ... win and #1 ranking; lose and stay at the #2/3 spot until Salisbury game. (MasonDixonLine29) — #1. Mustangs just keep on winning but big match-ups with Tufts and Salisbury lie ahead. (minkhoo) — #2. (Richard) — Looking at that schedule and the results, how can you have it any different? #1. (thatsmell) — 2. Nice win but "Tuft" game upcoming. (valaxfan) — Scoring 10 on Cortland means a lot! Their D is legit. Stevenson proved they don't have to win in a shootout here. They'll need to do the same against Tufts to win. (wheniwasakid...) — #2 -- Expect them to beat Tufts. (Youngred)

Tufts: #1. Still on top until we see what happens on Wednesday at Stevenson. (Cloverdale) — #1. Headed to Maryland to face a mighty southern team in a game no one thinks they can win. Sound familiar? (D-III) — #1 as they continue to win. Amherst victory is looking better now than before. Great match-up against Stevenson on Wednesday! (DellMan22) — #1. The Jumbos have won three straight and have a HUGE showdown with Stevenson this week ... will there be anything left in the gas tank for a trip to Williams on Saturday? We shall see ... F/Os and timely goaltending are whats needed for Tufts to go 1-1 this week let alone 2-0. (goalielax10) — #1. Still #1. All the bantering will be answered on Wednesday, when it is #1 vs. #2. (idealtin) — #3. Move up a notch at the expense of Cortland. (laxweforget) — #1. Nice 3-0 start ... game with Stevenson on Wed. decides #1 for a while. (MasonDixonLine29) — #3. Jumbo match-up with Mustangs this week. (minkhoo) — #1. (Richard) — #3. Is it the top four and everyone else? (thatsmell) — 1. Awaits Mustangs! (valaxfan) — Looking very solid early on against two good NESCAC teams. Stevenson will be a totally different challenge. Tufts will need to break out the big dogs on O to be successful. (wheniwasakid...) — #1 -- Out of respect only. (Youngred)

Salisbury: #4. Still haven't impressed me a ridiculous amount. Will need to against Roanoke. (Cloverdale) — #3. Waiting in the wings, eerily quiet in Gull country. Still not sold on the offense. (D-III) — Cruising as usual against the lower tier CAC teams. 10 goals allowed. That could be a little concerning. (DellMan22) — #3. Starting to gain momentum in Sea Gull land at 7-0. Total dismantling of Wesley. May not really get tested again until 4/16 ... Maroons on Wednesday; four years later. (goalielax10) — #3. Moves up one due to being unbeaten. Big one vs. the Maroons on Wednesday. (idealtin) — #2. Move up a notch at the expense of Cortland. (laxweforget) — #2. Beat Roanoke Wed. and should be undefeated going into mid-April game with Stevenson. (MasonDixonLine29) — #2. Gulls just keep winning. (minkhoo) — #3. (Richard) — #2. Heading down to Roanoke to take on a good Maroon squad. Defense will finally get tested by a real offense. (thatsmell) — 3. Wins by double digits, awaits Maroons. (valaxfan) — SU can play a controlled, low-scoring game or go run and gun. An extremely dangerous team in 2011. (wheniwasakid...) — #4 -- Status quo. (Youngred)

Cortland: #3. Had the right game plan at Stevenson, but it just didn't go in their favor. (Cloverdale) — #4. Took one on the chin down at Stevenson. In the long run, it will be a good loss for the Dragons. Should run the table until May. (D-III) — Tough loss to SU, but nothing is lost yet. Better pick their heads up for a scrappy Nazareth team and very tough RIT this week. (DellMan22) — #5. Nothing wrong with losing to the Mustangs ... Turn around is quick as they play at rival Nazareth, a team they have not lost to since 2007. (goalielax10) — #4. Loss to the Mustangs at this point not a killer. Nazareth on Wednesday. (idealtin) — #4. Of the "big 4," it is only one with a loss so far. (laxweforget) — #4. Tough competitive loss to Stevenson; still a top 4 team ... Nazareth and RIT next two games should be interesting. (MasonDixonLine29) — #4. Tough loss to Stevenson. (minkhoo) — #4. (Richard) — Fall to #4 with close loss to Stevenson. Despite the loss, this is a talented team to be reckoned with. (thatsmell) — 4. Tough loss but should see Mustangs again. (valaxfan) — At this point in the season, still in my top 4. Great D to hold Stevenson to 10 goals in a big game. (wheniwasakid...) — #3 -- Solid in this slot; gave the 'Stangs all they could handle. (Youngred)

RIT: #5. #5 by default, still only have one respectable win, their OT win over RPI. (Cloverdale) — #5. Struggled with Clarkson, and defense continues to be a question mark. (D-III) — 4-0 and rolling. Toughest game of the season against Genny on Wednesday. (DellMan22) — #4. Never easy traveling to north country and winning ... can't overlook Geneseo on their way to opening the Empire 8 season with Hartwick on Saturday. (goalielax10) — #6. Nice win vs. a good Clarkson team. Still some answered questions at F/O. Kiekebelt is playing out of his mind. (idealtin) — #6. Undefeated with quality wins against RPI and Clarkson. (laxweforget) — #5. 4-0 and still not convinced they belong here ... Genny and Cortland next two Wednesdays with Hartwick sandwiched in between them this weekend. (MasonDixonLine29) — #5. Solid win over a dangerous Clarkson. (minkhoo) — #5. (Richard) — #8. (thatsmell) — 5. Moves up. (valaxfan) — Looking solid again in 2011. Could fall anywhere from 5 to 12. (wheniwasakid...) — #5 -- Moves up as others crumble. (Youngred)

Stevens: #6. The Ducks came out of nowhere. Big midweek win AT Lynchburg, a team that is struggling but still very strong. (Cloverdale) — #7. Great revenge win down in Lynchburg. Playing an exciting brand of lacrosse. Won't be tested again until mid-April. (D-III) — 6-0 and continue to roll. Great start for the Ducks! (DellMan22) — #11. Upperclassmen are getting it done as the ducks are riding their first 6-game winning streak since 2007 ... Looking to make it 8 straight when they host in state rival Montclair before they open Empire 8 play against Utica this weekend. (goalielax10) — #5. Moves into top 5 by the way they are beating up on teams. Playing great lax now, but hope they are not peaking at the wrong time. (idealtin) — #5. After last week I can't say I can tell much difference between #5 and #16 anymore. Ducks don't appear to be among the elite few but have the most quality wins of other undefeated. (laxweforget) — #6. 6-0 with 'good' wins over Endicott, EConn, Springfield, and Lynchburg. (MasonDixonLine29) — #6. Possibly the best in the E8. (minkhoo) — #6. (Richard) — Played a good, not great schedule so far. A win at a hostile Lynchburg environment is always impressive. Nothing to make us think negative- undefeated and climbing. #5. (thatsmell) — Ducks looking good. Nice win over Lynchburg. (valaxfan) — Rolling along very nicely. I've heard good things about the Ducks from people I trust. E8 will still be a HUGE challenge. (wheniwasakid...) — #6 -- Team to beware of. (Youngred)

Middlebury: #10. Lots to improve after struggling against Wesleyan in many ways. (Cloverdale) — #8. Wake-up call at Wesleyan. Need to gel on both ends of the field, and if they can't fix face-offs they could be in trouble. Must win against a struggling Conn. College team next weekend. (D-III) — Tough loss to Wesleyan. Drops out of my top 10. (DellMan22) — #9. No surprise here, as before Saturday's game with Wesleyan, the Panthers had lost one-goal games to the Cardinals two out of the previous four times they met. (goalielax10) — #8. Close loss to the Cardinals has them right on their heels. Good team and lots of potential as usual. (idealtin) — #9. Has not done enough yet to deserve being ranked here, but I know this team is talented and should improve with every game. (laxweforget) — #7. Tough loss to Wesleyan; week off before Conn. Coll. and W&L. (MasonDixonLine29) — #9. Tough OT loss on the road. (minkhoo) — #11. (Richard) — #9. (thatsmell) — Loses heartbreaker to Wesleyan. (valaxfan) — Offensively, Midd is somewhat one-dimensional with the majority of their O running through the big man, Hild. Shut him down and you have a chance. (wheniwasakid...) — #9 -- Loss to Wes doesn't drop them far. (Youngred)

Roanoke: #11. Battled back from the brink to beat the Hornets on the road. They might lack defensive ability, but Roanoke never lacks effort. Kudos to Coach P. (D-III) — Close win over Lynchburg. Need to keep sharp for the Salisbury game this week. (DellMan22) — #10. Let the Hornets know that they are still king of the block in the ODAC ... Will put up goals against Salisbury but can they slow down the Gulls and play disciplined defense this week to have any shot at an upset. (goalielax10) — #9. Big win vs. Lynchburg. This team can score in bunches. (idealtin) — #12. I love teams that find ways to win games the way the Maroons did vs. Lynchburg. I don't believe this is a vintage Roanoke team, but it has two quality wins, and margin vs. Stevenson is the only really bad blemish on its record. (laxweforget) — #10. Nice win over rival Lynchbrg after two hard losses. Doesn't get any easier with Salisbury on Wednesday. (MasonDixonLine29) — #15. Recovered from the two-loss nightmare in the 4Q at Lynchburg with a stunning comeback. (minkhoo) — #9. (Richard) — Lynchburg win was big to reestablish themselves as the class of the ODAC and stop the bleeding. Will the black jerseys may be coming out this Wednesday? #7. (thatsmell) — Maroons come out of the funk of humbling loss to Stevenson with major 4th period against the Hornets. Will their momentum carry over against the Gulls? (valaxfan) — The Noke D is their weak point. Before they get back in to the Top 10, they need to hold a good team to under 10 goals. Otherwise, they'll lose when it counts most. (wheniwasakid...) — #12 -- Drubbing by Stevenson drops them. (Youngred)

Rensselaer: #12. No respectable wins yet; they're here by default. (Cloverdale) — #9. Another squad flying under the radar; people forget they took highly regarded RIT to OT on the road. Huge date with Skidmore looms. (D-III) — RPI wins where they should. Nothing too impressive this week, but no losses.. (DellMan22) — #12. A single goal away from being undefeated ... will be challenged this week by an improved Vassar team. (goalielax10) — #10. Rounds out my top 10 at this point of the season. (idealtin) — #13. Feasted on cupcakes last week. This week looks only slightly more challenging. But the Liberty is suddenly looking much tougher. Excellent defensive team that has been scoring more than expected. (laxweforget) — #8. Three straight wins against limited competition ... should make good run at Liberty League title. (MasonDixonLine29) — #10. Best of the Liberty. (minkhoo) — #7. (Richard) — #17. Still not entirely on board. Somene, anyone, please fill me in. (thatsmell) — A good upstate team capable of a lot. RPI will have the chances to prove they're even better as they play Clarkson, Skidmore, Midd, Hamilton and Union still. Win all those games? possible Top 5 team. (wheniwasakid...) — #7. (Youngred)

Haverford: #11. Evidenced by the Gettysburg loss, the Squirrels are simply not playing up to their potential. (Cloverdale) — #14. Hugely disappointing against Gettysburg; no excuse to lay an egg there. That said, loss of Chanelli could be one of the more unheralded injuries of the season, as Haverford lacks depth. (D-III) — Haverford drops with the bad loss against Gburg. (DellMan22) — #6. Real tough to win back-to-back games against the Bullets on their own field ... Came out the gate sluggish and cannot afford to do the same against WAC and McDaniel this week ... Still have them in the top 10, but if they split they will probably fall out. (goalielax10) — #13. Losses to two very good teams, but this team is right there. (idealtin) — #10. Despite disappointing performance against Gettysburg, I rank it here due to its three quality wins. Admittedly it is getting harder to keep the faith. (laxweforget) — #9. Tough loss to Gburg. WC, McD, and Dicknson next three. (MasonDixonLine29) — #11. Struggling on offense. (minkhoo) — #17. (Richard) — Dare I say it? I think that loss to G'burg was worse than Dickinson's loss to Skidmore! #12. (thatsmell) — Fords unpredictable. (valaxfan) — Were looking good until they lost to Gettysburg. Will be able to bounce back and Gburg is a better team than their early season record indicates. (wheniwasakid...) — #13 -- Horrible performance against G'burg. Unprepared and no fire; must regroup. (Youngred)

Wesleyan: #9. Doing well without Simmons. Shocking win over Midd. (Cloverdale) — #6. Big wins over Middlebury and Bowdoin. Style of play will likely see them in a lot of close games this year. Wes Tech is back. (D-III) — 5-0. Great win this week over Midd. Should roll on this week. Toughest challenge is Tufts in early April. (DellMan22) — #14. Make the biggest jump in my poll as the Cardinals are 2-0 in the NESCAC and 5-0 overall. (goalielax10) — #7. The Connecticut College of 2011. Surprising a lot of people being undefeated. Nice win vs. Middlebury. (idealtin) — #7. My gut tells me it doesn't belong this high and will not finish here. But the facts are that it is 5-0 with two quality wins already. (laxweforget) — #1. Nice 5-0 start with wins over Bowdoin and Middlebury. (MasonDixonLine29) — #7. OT win over Middlebury reestablishes the Cardinals in the top echelon of the NESCAC. (minkhoo) — #10. (Richard) — Big jumper. Hot out the gate. Bowdoin and Middlebury wins put them at #6. (thatsmell) — Big win over the Panthers. (valaxfan) — Doing well so far. Win over Bowdoin took some by surprise. They came to play against Midd in a great home environment. Tufts is two weeks away, but if the Cardinals lose before then, expect them to drop quickly. People still don't have a ton of faith in Wesleyan. (wheniwasakid...) — #8 -- Meteoric rise after beating Midd. (Youngred)

Dickinson: #7. They'd be 5th if it weren't for a two-goal loss to Skidmore. Freshman Brian Cannon is playing like a veteran, and that's one of their keys. (Cloverdale) — #16. The offense is suddenly struggling, with loss to Skidmore and barely getting by Widener. Warm up against McDaniel before a matchup with a dangerous Ursinus squad. Big game. (D-III) — Barely escaped Widener. A week of solid teams could give Dickinson their 2nd loss. (DellMan22) — #8. As conference play starts up, the Red Devils loss to Skidmore and close game with Widener are head scratchers for me ... Maybe their youth is starting to show a little. (goalielax10) — #16. Tough one to lose this past week, but one loss does not make you a bad team. (idealtin) — #11. A good resume still: a quality win over Roanoke and only one close loss to better than expected Skidmore. The top three in the Centennial look fairly even. Far from comfortable ranking it this high. (laxweforget) — #13. Tough loss to Skidmore ... Haverford and Gettysburg loom in early April. (MasonDixonLine29) — #13. Surprising loss in Florida. (minkhoo) — #8. (Richard) — #10. (thatsmell) — A bit too up and down. They can definitely win the big games, but can they win the rest of them? Skidmore is very good, but that was a game Dickinson has to grind out to stay high. (wheniwasakid...) — #17 -- Very shaky week, but they're not alone. (Youngred)

Denison: #13. (Cloverdale) — #17. Nothing to see here until May. (D-III) — Easy wins this week. (DellMan22) — #7. Maybe a tad high here but move up based on what happened with teams in front of them; NCAC play open this week against Wooster ... The Big Red have split their last two games against the Fighting Scots, as both have been one-goal contests. (goalielax10) — #17. This team will make the NCAA tourney so will keep a ranking. (idealtin) — #14. Rises a couple of spots in my ranking largely due to losses by teams I had ranked higher. (laxweforget) — #12. 4-1 ... should run the table until Stevenson game in late April. (MasonDixonLine29) — #16. Best of the NCAC. (minkhoo) — #13. (Richard) — #11. (thatsmell) — If they are who I think they are, Denison won't lose another game until the play Stevenson. Loss to Haverford AT Hford early on gives me some pause but not enough for me to leave them out of the Top 10. (wheniwasakid...) — #14. (Youngred)

Gettysburg: #8. Needed that win over Haverford really bad and won in resounding fashion. (Cloverdale) — #13. Elite D and making the changes to be relevant on offense? Could be the frontrunner in the three-horse Centennial race. (D-III) — Might have saved Hank's career with a win over Haverford this week. A much, much needed win. (DellMan22) — #13. Bullets are rising from the ashes and look like they have gotten everything together and are gaining a little momentum at the right time. (goalielax10) — #12. Two nice wins this week. Has team found its groove? (idealtin) — #8. Changed direction last week as quickly as Jimmy Dailey with two quality wins. All of its losses were to teams in my Top 20. This ranking may seem high for a three-loss team, but it looks like the best of the Centennial right now. (laxweforget) — #11. Too good a program to stay down too long. Should win next two before showdown with Dickinson. (MasonDixonLine29) — #14. Reports of the Bullets being replaced by blanks seem to be inaccurate. (minkhoo) — #16. (Richard) — Signs of life in PA? Cabrini win was good. Haverford win better! (thatsmell) — Bullets handle Fords. (valaxfan) — Struggled early. Now clawing their way back in. Their win against Haverford leads me to believe they could rise back into the top 10/15 very quickly. Offense is still their main concern. (wheniwasakid...) — #11 -- This week saved their season, but I'm still on the fence with them. (Youngred)

St. John Fisher: #14. (Cloverdale) — #10. We should know more today about this team when they face a desperate Geneseo team. (D-III) — #15. All they do is win, win, win no matter what!! Have a chance to keep it going against Geneseo today. (goalielax10) — #11. Still winning and undefeated. Good one on Monday vs. Geneseo. We will see if easy games to start bite them in the butt. (idealtin) — #20. Win at Clarkson looks very good now. Maybe a Top 20 team but hard to be sure given the schedule it has played so far. A big surprise to me given heavy graduation losses. (laxweforget) — #14. 6-0 start ... Clarkson only good foe so far. Genny and IC this week should get their attention. (MasonDixonLine29) — #12. Another strong E8 team. (minkhoo) — #12. (Richard) — Get Geneseo this week. Hopefully they can defend their home turf so it doesn't make next week's poll EVEN harder! #15. (thatsmell) — Meat of Cardinals schedule starts now; will tell us much. (valaxfan) — Undefeated ... but most teams in their shoes would be. They can't go much higher til they start playing good teams ... thankfully they do just that today in Geneseo. (wheniwasakid...) — #10 -- Still winning. (Youngred)

Trinity: #15. (Cloverdale) — #12. Wow, where did this group come from? The Bowdoin win is particularly impressive in light of what they did to Nazareth. Pete Johnson is a goalie to watch in D3. Could be the NESCAC's best. (D-III) — 3-0 with solid wins over solid teams. (DellMan22) — #19. Bantams sneak in here after two wins in NESCAC play. (goalielax10) — #14. Moves up after going 3-0 and undefeated so far in the NESCAC. (idealtin) — #15. I'm not a believer yet, but 3-0 with a quality win over Bowdoin deserves a decent ranking. (laxweforget) — #18. Nice win over Bowdoin. (MasonDixonLine29) — #8. Bantams jump out quickly with some big wins. (minkhoo) — #14. (Richard) — Wins over Conn. College and Bowdoin have Trinity checking in at #16. (thatsmell) — Coming out of nowhere with a new coach and new outlook on lax. No more slow down bore-ball from the Bantams now that Finlay is finally gone. And their goalkeeping is looking way up. Good win over Bowdoin. Now can they keep it up? (wheniwasakid...) — #15 - Starting to emerge; should win their next 4. (Youngred)

Lynchburg: #18. (Cloverdale) — NR- Can't rank a team that lost two home games in one week. Simply a team that year after year cannot win the big games. Need a change of mentality. (D-III) — Lynchburg has dropped three straight ... but all to teams in my top 10. (DellMan22) — #20. Have to close out games in the 4th ... three straight losses, and the Hornets look like a prize fighter who just can't get off of the ropes ... W&L this week is a must win. (goalielax10) — #15. All losses are to very good teams. (idealtin) — #17. All four of its losses were to teams I rank higher. None of the games was very close, but none was an embarrassment. A quality win over Cabrini. It must beat W&L this week to stay ranked. (laxweforget) — #19. The best 4-4 program in D-III??? (MasonDixonLine29) — #24. The Hornets have some good wins, but the Roanoke loss has to be demoralizing. (minkhoo) — Should a 4-4 team be this high? It should when all of your losses are close ones to top 10 teams. (thatsmell) — Fell to Maroon Tsunami in 4th period. (valaxfan) — A good team, making my Top 20 again but need more good wins. Taking down Cabrini early is not going to be enough to keep me believing. (wheniwasakid...) — #18 -- Need to win this week vs. W&L and HSC to hang around. (Youngred)

Cabrini: #19. (Cloverdale) — Good win over FDU. (DellMan22) — #19. Three losses all to top 20 teams. (idealtin) — #18. Its three losses were to teams I rank higher. All were close games. A quality win over HSC. (laxweforget) — #15. Tough OT loss to Gburg; good win over FDU. (MasonDixonLine29) — #21. Can't figure out the Cardinals; not sure they are a T20 team. (minkhoo) — #21. (Richard) — #19. (thatsmell) — Losing both of your one-goal games and not showing up for another loss have me questioning Cabrini big time. Their three wins are pretty solid though. (wheniwasakid...) — #21. (Youngred)

Skidmore: #15. Great win over Dickinson puts them in Pool C discussion. Need to beat Williams before they turn their attention to the showdown with RPI. (D-III) — #16. Throughbreads are clicking, but just how good are they? Williams this week will help us answer that question. (goalielax10) — #21. Quality win over Dickinson and respectable showing against Haverford. I'm not convinced this is a Top 25 team. Beat Williams at home this week and I will be more convinced. (laxweforget) — #17. Big win over Dickinson puts Thoroughbreds into T20. (minkhoo) — #15. (Richard) — Thoroughbreds show some mettle. (valaxfan) — Lots of tight games, but they win when they need to! A team with potential that plays hard and fast. (wheniwasakid...) — #16 -- Good win against Dickinson; might be legit. (Youngred)

Hampden-Sydney: #17. (Cloverdale) — NR- After a promising start, progressing backwards. It seems to be another down year for the Tigers. (D-III) — Loss to W&L drops HSC back down the ladder. (DellMan22) — #18. Have lost two out of their last three since opening up with three straight wins ... should be 2-0 this week with Greensboro and Catholic on tap ... Finishing in the 4th quarter is a must ... not the way they wanted to open ODAC play. (goalielax10) — #19. Loss to W&L, which I am not convinced is a good team, hurts its ranking a lot. (laxweforget) — #23. That Gettysburg win is receding into the distance. (minkhoo) — #22. (Richard) — Despite many hopes that the Tigers were back, they just aren't there yet. Good but not great. #21. (thatsmell) — Falls with loss to Gennies. (valaxfan) — I thought H-SC was better than this, but losing to W&L at home is not the mark of a top team. (wheniwasakid...)

Bowdoin: #18. Up and down team, not sure where they fit in. Two tough games this week will tell us a lot. If they belong in the Top 20, they will win both. (D-III) — #16. 1-2, but its losses were by paper thin margins, and its beat-down of a pretty good Nazareth team was impressive. Another NESCAC team I think will get better as the year goes on. (laxweforget) — #19. (Richard) — On the radar. Sitting at #22. (thatsmell)

Franklin & Marshall: #25. (goalielax10) — #25. Seems like the next best Southern team. (laxweforget) — #19. Winning close games. (minkhoo) — Am I the only team on the Dips' bandwagon? Only loss to Noke with some close wins. Could they be 10-1 before they get to Haverford in three weeks? #14. (thatsmell)

Amherst: #16. (Cloverdale) — 3-1. Only loss was a close one to Tufts. (DellMan22) — #22. Beat Endicott and gave Tufts a game. Needs to do something similar with Bowdoin this week. (laxweforget) — #22. 3-1. We should know more about this team after this week ... EConn and Bowdoin. (MasonDixonLine29) — #19 -- Another up and comer; should maybe be higher. (Youngred)

Union: #20. (Cloverdale) — #19. Why not? (D-III) — #24. (goalielax10) — #23. Has not played anyone yet, except Cortland, which beat it by 9. Good defensive team. Not sure yet if there will be enough offense. (laxweforget) — #20. A solid team. (minkhoo) — #20. (Richard) — #20. (thatsmell) — Another strong Upstate squad. (wheniwasakid...)

Wittenberg: #22. (goalielax10) — #18. Undefeated against middling competition. (minkhoo) — #20 -- Winning vs. no one. (Youngred)

Colorado College: #17. The best in West ... Wooster game should be closer than last year's 8-goal win. (goalielax10) — Can't get a good read on this team because they don't play anyone that good. One of the best games on their schedule was against Swarthmore, who is now 1-5. (wheniwasakid...)

Keene State: #20. Big loss to Springfield. Still hanging around the Top 20, but need to beat Bowdoin to remain. (D-III) — #19. Fell into this spot ... 3-1 good win over Genny but lose to Springfield. (MasonDixonLine29) — #18. (Richard) — Loss to Springfield knocks them out of the Top 20. I like Keene, but they need to get up for all their big games and not just the ones against the NESCAC. They need to win against Bowdoin to get back in. Then they need to keep winning to stay in. (wheniwasakid...)

Eastern Connecticut: #16. 4-1. Not sure they belong here, as their one quality game is a loss, but everybody else is dropping games. (MasonDixonLine29)

Colby: #25. (Youngred)

Geneseo: Tough loss against Keene. About to drop out of the top 20. (DellMan22) — #24. Have SFJ and RIT this week. (MasonDixonLine29) — #25. (Richard) — A conundrum, wrapped in a mystery. Or they just aren't that good. #24. (thatsmell)

Hamilton: #18. Undefeated and could be until LL play starts. (idealtin)

Nazareth: #21. (goalielax10) — #20. Up-and-down team with a great win and an embarrassing loss. Tough test vs. Cortland grooming team for conference play. (idealtin) — #23. Tough loss; have to rebound quick with Cortland on Wednesday. (MasonDixonLine29) — Wow. Didn't see that one coming. Drop to #23. (thatsmell)

Other Teams Pollsters Considered (and comments, if any)

. Connecticut College:

. Endicott: #22. (Youngred)

. Springfield: So up and down. Never know what you're going to get ... sometimes even in the same game! (wheniwasakid...) — #23. (Youngred)

. Ithaca: NR- I was wrong about ranking the Bombers. Bad loss in Cali; appears to be another down year in the making. (D-III) — #25. Ho hum West Coast trip ... should win next two before a tough four-game stretch. (MasonDixonLine29) — #22. Despite dominating the stats, Bombers bamboozled on the Left Coast. (minkhoo)

. Ursinus: #23. (goalielax10) — #24. (Youngred)

. Ohio Wesleyan:

. Clarkson: #24. Epic beat-down of vastly overrated Conn. College is probably less impressive to me than that it played RIT to within 2. Both its losses were to teams in my Top 20. (laxweforget) — #20. This is an up-and-comer ... played both RIT and SJF tough and beat Conn. Coll. convincingly. (MasonDixonLine29) — #23. (Richard) — One of a couple teams that could round out a Top 20. (wheniwasakid...)

. Alfred: #25. Hey, the Saxons are 6-0. (minkhoo)

. Western New England: #24. (Richard)

DakotaDan
Site Admin

Re: Men's D3 Forum Poll for 3/21

New postby WesleyLax on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Salisbury very impressive in the win over Wesley! First time I've seen them live, SU fans a little crazy with the boo-ya's after each goal. LOL! Good game this Wed nite Stevenson vs Tufts.
WesleyLax

New postby wheniwasakid... on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

in the interest of full disclosure, I did not put my rankings in with my comments.
Oops.
Here they are, in case anyone cares.
1Tfuts
2Stevenson
3Salisbury
4Cortland
5Stevens
6RIT
7Midd
8Denison
9RPI
10Haverford
11Roanoke
12Trinity
13Wesleyan
14Dickinson
15Skidmore
16Gburg
17Lburg
18Cabrini19stJf
20H-Sc

individually, I clearly don't have it figured out, but with all our mistakes combined, our poll looks pretty good. smug.
"We are monkeys with money and guns"
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby ItsNotAboutMe on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Re Gettysburg: "Might have saved Hank's career with a win over Haverford this week." (DellMan22)

Is this guy serious? If so, he should lose his voting privileges.
ItsNotAboutMe

New postby wheniwasakid... on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:19 pm

i like MDL29 with Wes at #1! did we play together at the tech?
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby DellMan22 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:45 pm

ItsNotAboutMe wrote:Re Gettysburg: "Might have saved Hank's career with a win over Haverford this week." (DellMan22)

Pardon me, but another bad loss by Gburg would have dropped them out of my top 20. Considering where Gettysburg has been the last... 10 years, I would consider that catastrophic.

For example, look at where the Bullets have finished the last few years:

2010: 15-3 (#4)
2009: 16-4 (#6)
2008: 17-3 (#3)
2007: 16-3 (#2)
2006: 17-2 (#2)
2005: 15-4 (#6)
...So on and so forth.

Are the Bullets having a down year? Possibly. Have they under-performed compared to years past? Absolutely. Who is to blame if not the coach? A team that has been a top 5-6 mainstay for a good part of the last 10 years should not be hovering near the high teens in a ranking. They should also be putting up more than 6 goals a game on average against top-20 teams. To me, that is unacceptable and heads would roll. Guess that's why I'm not in charge :lol: .

In all honesty though, Gettsyburg NEEDED a win over Haverford. They need the momentum and needed more high quality wins. You can't go beating up on USMMA and Messiah while losing to almost every top 20 team and expect to be ranked highly. A name brand lacrosse school only gets you so far sometimes...
Dude! It's a Dell!
DellMan22

New postby ItsNotAboutMe on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 pm

At this point in the season a forum-poster could argue that Gettysburg is having a down year. They have already lost 3 games and losing to Haverford would have eliminated them from Pool C consideration (I think - DIII is the authority on that). The team only scores 9.1 goals per game, and that number is buoyed by big numbers against USMMA and Messiah, as you noted.

But that was not the first argument you made. You stated that "[the win over Haverford] might have saved Hank's career." That quote is not a suggestion that Gettysburg is having a down year - that is a suggestion that Gettysburg is having a season so horrible, so terrible, so "catastrophic", that the school would consider firing its coach of 24 years, who has the second most wins in the history of college lacrosse, over 300 of which he earned at the helm of Gettysburg.

I thank you for posting Gettysburg's records the last 6 years. Those records undermine your (hopefully, for your sake) thoughtless comment about Janczyk's career. It is obvious from his recent record that Janczyk is not in the twilight of his coaching career. In fact, his past 5 years may be the best 5 year period in his career. With that in mind, it seems that your argument is that after one "bad" season, any coach could and should be fired. Frankly, I can't even think of how awful Gettysburg's season would have to be for Janczyk to be fired. I would argue he could go winless and still remain the coach at Gettysburg, but that doesn't matter because it will never happen.

Coming back to what I think was the point you were trying to make - Gettysburg saved its season with a win over Haverford on Saturday - I can't agree with this either. Gettysburg has only just started its conference schedule. It always has a way to make the playoffs via the conference tournament. So I don't think people should be too concerned with whether Gettysburg's season was down the tubes on March 23.

And here is a little nugget to leave you with. The last time Gettysburg lost three games before April was…2009. Strangely, that is the year they made the NCAA finals. In that season, they lost to Cortland, Stevenson, and Haverford in March. Not a far cry from the losses to Hampden-Sydney, Salisbury, and Cortland of this year. Now, I am not ready to champion Gettysburg for the NCAA finals. At the same time, I can't agree that Gettysburg's season was on the line this weekend. Nor can I entertain the thought of someone suggesting that Janczyk's career was on the line this weekend. It would be one thing if the Janczyk career comment was made by a random forum contributor. But the fact that it was made by someone with the privilege and the alleged knowledge to vote in the forum poll is especially troubling. In the future, I would suggest it appropriate to keep your Skip-Bayless-esque ridiculous comments to yourself.
ItsNotAboutMe

New postby zarching on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:28 pm

ItsNot About Me,

As perennial, but absolutely respectful rival of Gettysburg, let me simply say: BRAVO.

I'm reminded of the horrible year Duke basketball had some years back. Coach K doubled over with chronic back, hip and God knows whatever afflictions.... had to give up coaching for remainder of season. BAD, BAD season record and ( subject to those more knowledgeable than me, and with better memories) I 'm fairly sure, last time they did not make NCAA tourney.

Since that year..... let me ask the dellman this.... how many times, since that year, have the Dookies returned to the NCAAs and reached the Final Four... AND, in those returns, how many times have they won the whole dang thing?
zarching

New postby DellMan22 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Is it really that hard to fathom a coach being asked to leave after a bad season or two? I realize that I am navigating a slippery slope here but you don't even have to leave the conference for an example of this happening.

When looking at this season, in comparison to seasons past, one can only conclude that prior to this past week's games against Cabrini and Haverford, Gettysburg's performance, again compared to years past, has been awful. I think the addition of the past season's records further illustrates my point. Honestly, a team with a tradition like Gettysburg should not be putting up 6 goals a game against top competition and they should not be hovering around the bottom of the top-20. IMHO, this is unacceptable for a team like Gettysburg and my comment reflects that viewpoint. Gettysburg should be doing better and I, as an outside observer, expect them to be doing better, period.

Additionally, it is fine if you disagree with my comments but please don't suggest that I don't do my homework or put thought and consideration into my polls. While it may have been a stretch to suggest that Gettysburg's current record would lead to Coach Janczyk being let go, I don't consider my comments justification for you to question my 'lacrosse knowledge'.

Zarching: You are correct. Under Coach K's tutelage, Duke has made an appearance in 27 of the last 28 NCAA tournaments. The only time the Blue Devils missed the dance was in 1994 when, as you stated, Coach K was sidelined with osteoarthritis. Even still, when Coach K took his leave of absense Duke's record was 9-3. The Dukies would only win 4 more games that finishing with a 13-18 record. On the surface it would appear as though the 1994 season was a disaster because of Coach K's absense, but I'm no expert.
Dude! It's a Dell!
DellMan22

New postby zarching on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:57 am

Thank God ..... at least with respect to Duke's '94 season, looks like I got another thing right ?

My memory has been failing of late, and you will never know how happy I am that you took the time to google that Duke season and disprove those, primarily my wife and kids, who keep urging me to sign that unlimited power of attorney which, by the way, if I signed, would also be my acknowledgment of my incapacity.

The fact that your research confirms my reference to that particular Duke season, and that I did first hand recall an event, a season, some 17 years ago.... just proves the old adage that the blind squirrel (in this case, ME) given unlimited opportunities, will find the nut.

Then again... you might want to consider the alternative... that your expressed opinions about Hank (mind you, not one of my favorite coaches) are pretty goll darn juvenile... and a tad offensive to those who not judge a team and/or coach by one season ..and have watched the Bullets excel over the years.
Last edited by zarching on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
zarching

New postby Lax Fidelis on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:37 am

ItsNotAboutMe wrote:Re Gettysburg: "Might have saved Hank's career with a win over Haverford this week." (DellMan22)

I read that and wondered what planet DellMan22 inhabits. Ranks among the stupidest comments ever posted in my 14 years of being a member of LP. He has no concept of the regard in which Hank is held on the campus. Janet Rigg knows what she has in that coach - and she is not sports-deaf like many other college presidents frequently are. Stunningly uninformed commentary to try and back-up his original contention. :doh:
Hopkins 11 Maryland 6

Caveat lector, nullius in verba.
Lax Fidelis

New postby youngred on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:59 am

I thought we'd laid this to rest. Speaking for myself, I consider Gettysburg a constant thorn in the side and when they lose I shed no tears. However, much of that comes out of jealousy for a program that is always relevant and that is because of Jancyck period. The game of lacrosse would be less without him and anyone that pays attention knows this unless they just harbor an irrational contempt for successful coaches that do things the right way. Dellman, I think you're comments were unfortunate and likely taken a little bit too literally and for that I can give you the benefit of the doubt but if this outpouring of respect for the man has not convinced you that your words were very poorly chosen then you've missed the point. As I've said before, Jancyck is a credit to the game and quite honestly a role model for his players and peers in the coaching community. Having said that, I'm going back to what feels more natural -- rooting for Gettysburg to lose out, when I have the Bullets' back like this I feel the need to take a shower. I'm sure you do too Stew, but do it at your house please...
youngred

New postby wheniwasakid... on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:11 am

zarching wrote:Thank God ..... with respect to Duke's '94 season, at least, I got another thing right?

My memory has been failing of late, and you will never know how happy I am that you took the time to google that Duke season and disprove those, primarily my wife and kids, who keep urging me to sign that unlimited power of attorney which, by the way, if I signed, would also be my acknowledgment of my incapacity.

As to the fact that your research confirms with my reference to that particular Duke season, and that I did first hand recall an event, a season, some 17 years ago.... just proves the old adage that the blind squirrel (in this case, ME) given unlimited opportunities, will find the nut.

Then again... you might want to consider the alternative... that your expressed opinions about Hank (mind you, not one of my favorite coaches) are pretty goll darn juvenile... and a tad offensive to those who not judge a team and/or coach by one season ..and have watched the Bullets excel over the years.

when you DO end up caving in and signing the PoA doc, who gets your forum poll voting proxy responsibilities? If you won't give it to a NESCACer, I'd nominate C. Burgasser. He's at SU now coaching right? Seems like a very smart, awesome kid. Just trying to help you plan, buddy!
I'm kidding. If you leave the forum poll, I'm out. Zarching or bust. haha.
-Tom Waits
www.lacrosseallstars.com
wheniwasakid...

New postby youngred on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:25 am

Z isn't a pollster, he's more like a " chirper "....
youngred

New postby DellMan22 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:31 am

Wow. One 'off' comment on a forum poll and I've got people with pitchforks at my door.

I meant no disrespect to Hank as a community member, mentor or person. I was merely trying to point out that Gettysburg's season thus far has been worst than years past. Poor words, poorly chosen.

I hope that ends this.

Now, I've got to run, Howard Dean is calling... :lol:
Last edited by DellMan22 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude! It's a Dell!
DellMan22

New postby thatsmell on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 am

Is everyone familiar with the "Division 3 Philosophy" of coaching?

"Results don't matter if the coach is educating the player and building character. But win damnit!!!"

:D
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby zarching on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm

youngred wrote:Z isn't a pollster, he's more like a " chirper "....

Aw shucks. Can't you real, genuine posters give me a small tin badge and a secret decoder ring.... and make me an official "junior" club member ? :lol:
zarching

New postby ucantseeme528 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 am

Anyone doubting Tufts #1 status now?....24 saves vs 8 saves will win and lose you a lot of games
ucantseeme528

New postby thatsmell on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:57 am

Definately not doubting Tufts any more.
As they say, "the proof is in the pudding."
Until this point, seeing what Stevenson did to those other top teasm had me starry eyed.
Barring any crazy Sat results, Tufts gets #1 in my book.
The questions I had about tufts were on the defensive side of the ball.
Giving up 75 shots is concerning, but not so much when considering Stevenson's style of play and the fact that Tufts forced many bad shots with lifts and quick slides. And seeing Foglietta stand on his head in another big game also erased some doubt.

Congrats to the Jumbos!
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby laxweforget on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:33 am

Except more doubt creeped into my head about Salisbury. Especially after seeing their second half fold (and sloppiness) and the what Steve and Tufts showed last night...

I agree about Salisbury, at least to the extent that it is the one among the top 4 I am least convinced of at this point. I'm not sure I question whether Salisbury should be lower than #4 though. But, I was watching the aborted Stevens/Montclair game last night and began to wonder why I was just assuming Salisbury was so much better than Stevens (or, to a lesser extent, RIT). In the end, I am not sure I will be able to convince myself that Montclair is a stiff enough test to tell me enough about Stevens to move them ahead of Salisbury. Stevens won't get that kind of testing until mid-April. Likewise whether RPI was a stiff enough test of RIT. We'll get a better read on RIT next Wednesday I think.
laxweforget

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III