Re: NESCAC 2012

New postby The Reason on Wed May 16, 2012 1:33 pm

RIT seen it last year!!
Hope they see it again this year!!!!
They are tough at BELLO!!!!
The Reason

New postby vernpt on Wed May 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Should be a great game today. Don't know much about RIT but I am sure they are a talented team. I think this one is going to be pulled out in the Q4. I think the home field really makes a difference for Tufts and RIT will have their hands full.
vernpt

New postby WildBillLittler on Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 pm

RIT worked hard to keep it close, but the 'Bos turned it on in the fourth and RIT couldn't keep up. Great win today Jumbos!!! Incredible how much this Tufts team has matured and developed over the season. Keep it going boys!

Congratulations to RIT for a fine season and a great effort today. You have a lot to be proud of this year.

GO JUMBOS!!!!!
WildBillLittler

New postby D-III on Wed May 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Couple quick thoughts:

Game went as expected, other than a sloppy stretch in the 3rd (due mainly to long possessions by RIT), Tufts offense was able to score at will. The goals were spread around. Beau Wood had a tough day, he is too relaxed under pressure sometimes, including today. He'll need to tighten up against Cortland, which will feature the best group of poles he has ever faced and will play him aggressively. If he stays disciplined his shots will fall which makes Tufts even more dangerous than what RIT faced.

Up 14-10 with 6 min left and the ball, Tufts got the win, but Daly should rewatch and come up with a better scheme in that spot, this happened last year too. The Jumbos had a chance to score a few more and put this game away early. Against Cortland and/or the southern rep they need to improve there.

Matt Callahan will be a key for Tufts to handle Cortland's deadly ride. When necessary Daly has to initiate every clear through him, he is very solid with the ball, and makes great decisions.

RIT has a nice team, beginning in the second quarter they realized they couldn't get in a track meet and they were very deliberate on offense the rest of the day. Lots of passing up top followed by a set piece. But it worked, Coon has the kids willing and capable of doing this. Tyler Russell is a player, when the ball is in his stick its usually a goal. Congrats on a great season for him. Face-offs were much improved as advertised. Their D simply doesn't have the guys to match up with Tufts, they'll need to recruit better there to get over the hump. That said, as I expected they had no problem with the Tufts ride.

More later....
D-III

New postby vernpt on Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Nice job by RIT today. DIII - my perception of the game seemed to be different then yours. I felt as though Tufts play really sloppy all around. I think there were 4-5 rebound goals and 2 fast break goals by RIT because the offense threw the ball away. That being said, RIT did do a great job on getting the ground balls on the crease and forcing errors. There were lots of mistakes by both teams. To be honest, I think that RIT capitalized more on those then Tufts did. However, I think that Tufts had a more balance offense and once again their scoring was spread around. Also, Tufts was able to score much more on transition then RIT. I think the difference today was Watkins who had a tremendous game in net today. Nice job RIT - you guys were great all season and great today. I think the difference in this game came down to Watkins.
vernpt

New postby D-III on Wed May 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Vern,
I disagree on the turnovers, that is typical Tufts. Happens every game, overall they score more than they give up playing that style. I agree with you about the rebound goals for RIT. But I give them credit for that. See below, my post on Twitter in the 3rd quarter:

@DIIILacrosse: RIT grinding. Living off goals off the rebound, LONG possessions and getting key ground balls. 9-8 Tufts late 3rd
D-III

New postby vernpt on Wed May 16, 2012 8:28 pm

DIVIII - I was at the game on Sat and have to say they were not that sloppy. I have been to a few of the games this year and this I felt was their worst showing in that they made a lot of errors getting ground balls. Seemed like they just could not keep it in their stick today. Anyway, the important thing is that they won and it was a good game. On to Cortland for another rematch.
vernpt

New postby AcidFlashback on Thu May 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Now that the Polar Bear season and the Tom McCabe era has ended, and we've thoroughly examined his "Corp retirement options," is there any speculation / word on who will be interviewing for the job? The W&L posters have wondered if their own McCabe is interested, Gene McCabe, who is a Bates boy and former head Hamilton man who has also coached football. These jobs don't open up very often. All of the Bowdoin's mens staff, coaching the major sports, have been there between 10 and 30 years, and this school has the tradition, resources, and access to talent to be a consistent top 10-15 program. What about Jon Thompson at Amherst? Is he ready to start his 3rd, two year Nescac tour of New England, or are Nescac AD's calling a moratorium on poaching their own? My under the radar pick is Jamie Lockard of Wheaton. Although he's only been there one year, (5 years at Widener) he turned that program completely around on a literal dime, and he can talk the Nescac talk and walk the lacrosse walk. Great leagues have great coaches. I hope they do it right.
"What do you do for recreation?"

"Oh the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
AcidFlashback

New postby vernpt on Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 pm

My personal feeling that they are going to take someone from the NESCAC. Maybe a seasoned assistant who is familiar with the league. Just my opinion and would make sense.
vernpt

New postby WildBillLittler on Sun May 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Tough loss today 'Bos. Congrats to Cortland on a well deserved win. Beat Salisbury!

As a Tufts alum, I am incredibly proud of this year's team. They accomplished more this year than most expected, improved with every game, and played with a lot of determination. I understand that the goal of the Tufts lacrosse program is to win a NC, but a spot in the final four is not too bad either. Great work this year boys! We expect great things in 2013!

GO JUMBOS!!!!!!
WildBillLittler

New postby vernpt on Sun May 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Great Job by both teams today. Congrats Cortland on showing great character after falling behind 9-4. Tufts, you did a great job this year and exceeded everyone's expectation. Congrats to all the teams in the NESCAC this year for making it enjoyable season for all. Should be a great 2013.
vernpt

New postby 3T on Tue May 22, 2012 10:55 am

I seriously doubt Bowdoin's new coach comes from within the NESCAC. They wouldn't poach another head coach and assistants in the NESCAC are often good coaches but too young or too inexperienced. My bet is they take a top flight assistant from a D1 program looking to be a first time head coach. Think John Thompson when Colby hired him.
3T

New postby milk&cookies on Tue May 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Congratulations to the 2012 AAs from the NESCAC...

FIRST TEAM
Jon Leanos, Hamilton College
Matt Callahan, Tufts University

SECOND TEAM
Ian Deveau, Colby College
Matthew Egan, Bowdoin College
Nick Rhoads, Tufts University

THIRD TEAM
Beau Wood, Tufts University
Mark Flibotte, Bowdoin College

HONORABLE MENTION
Sean Kirwan, Tufts University
Robert Nogueras, Trinity College
Adam Nycz, Virginia Wesleyan College
Evan Redwood, Amherst College
John Lyons, Connecticut College
Brendan Hanley, Wesleyan University
Sam Diss, Tufts University
Greg Pierce, Bowdoin College
Sam Stanton, Wesleyan University
Kevin Helm, Bates College
Clay Hillyer, Connecticut College
Lex Johnson, Wesleyan University
Grant Covington, Wesleyan University
Peter Johnson, Trinity College

Couple of things
1. Surprising to see Pete Johnson on the HM list as I thought he deserved more and proved it on the field
2. It's too bad Kirwin wasn't healthy all season as he would be up there as well
3. When was the last time Middlebury didn't have an AA?
4. Leanos and Hamilton making a big splash in their first year of NESCAC play
5. WAY TO GO SWANK!!!!!!!
milk&cookies

New postby Old Man Lax on Tue May 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Add McCormick 1st team.
Old Man Lax

New postby Swank_Lax on Tue May 22, 2012 3:02 pm

I would echo the sentiments about Pete Johnson. I thought he was clearly one of the best three goalies in the country, with Boland and Aaron being the other two.
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby ncaalax91 on Tue May 22, 2012 3:36 pm

A thought about Peter Johnson and his appointment to HM and not a team. Purely hypothetical, but as a person who has watched him rise up through the Trinity program I can comfortably say this was his best year in net. HOWEVER it was his worst year statistically. Johnson had a much younger and inexperienced D core this year and was consistently forced to make saves with people on top of his crease and his the D definitely had some troubles picking up cutters. There is no statistic in lacrosse of scoring opportunities, but I would be willing to bet a lot that Johnson faced some of the highest % of shots in the country while having to have a good game week in and out for the Bantams to go as far as they did. He single handily beat Tufts and Middelbury this year. No disrespect to the rest of the team as they clearly had an amazing year (not to mention best in program history), it will just be difficult to replace such a stronghold as your most important player. This all being said, I think it would be tough to vote for him UNLESS you saw him play live because his statistics didn't back up his consistent level of play. This could be where he possibly fell short in votes. Just a thought! Congrats to all other NESCAC appointments and fellow Bantam Rob Nogueras, well deserved.
ncaalax91

New postby ncaalax91 on Tue May 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Also think that Chris Williamson got a bit shafted. He had a great season in net for Bowdoin.
ncaalax91

New postby Swank_Lax on Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Seconded on that. Should have made it over Covington, just like the All-NESCAC voting had it.
Oh. So. Laxy. Twitter username: swanklax
Swank_Lax

New postby ncaalax91 on Tue May 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Interesting thought to look at statistics here as well as with Johnson because Covington had a phenomenal statistical year BUT perhaps this can be somewhat accredited to his zone / stingy defense at Wesleyan.
ncaalax91

New postby addicted2lax on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Been way too quite on here! http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=30734 I almost hear crickets!
addicted2lax

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Men's - Division III