Liberty League 2018

Re: Liberty League 2018

New postby Phella on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:41 pm

I watched the first three quarters of the RIT/Springfield hoping for a game, it was a train wreck for The Pride. The Tigers just flat out lit it up, scoring came from everyone and everywhere, and the transition wizardry the Tigers lacked against Bates was on display tonight. FO guy won just about every draw in the first half, it was an impressive outing for RIT.
Phella

New postby actionalley on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Union two goals against Springfield?
actionalley

New postby idealtin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Ithaca is quietly kicking the sh*t out of everyone they are playing. They just beat Coast Guard (yep the same team that beat Wesleyan). Besides putting up 17+ goals on all their opponents, they are holding everyone to less than 6 goals. Very impressive!
idealtin

New postby livelax24 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Ithaca is definitely off to a great start. Holding opponents to 8 goals or less in all 6 games. Their offense features some new faces and some familiar ones, their offense won't be an issue this year.

My question is how good is this defense? The teams they have played so far lack the offensive threats that they will see from the LL, Especially RIT. I'm actually surprised to see the offensive production from RIT this year. I knew they would be good but, with what they lost from last season, I did not expect them to be this dominant.

Until someone proves otherwise, the LL belongs to RIT
livelax24

New postby Phella on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm

I totally agree with the RIT bit, they are scoring machines. Bates played them close and tough, shutting down their easy transition game, besides that, they have been rolling.
I watched Ithaca yesterday and my expectations were high, so maybe thats why I wasn't very impressed with them against Oneonta. The Coast Guard game would have been a better look at them.
SLU looks to have finally started to score some goals, and their D seems to be super tough again.
I have not seen anything from Union this year, they seem to have comeback after their ugly loss to Springfield.
That leaves Clarkson, SKidmore and RIT all fighting for a chair at the table.
It should be a great month of LL action.
Phella

New postby Tigerlaxguy on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 pm

I think you mean RPI as one fighting for a seat at the table, but I agree with your assessment. What I find astounding is how Union can score only two goals against Springfield. Having witnessed my Tigers dismantling of the Pride in the Dome several weeks ago, I find it hard to believe that they could hold any team to two goals, let alone a Union program that has been very competitive over the years. Was this an aberration or is Union that weak this year. RIT and Ithaca have had some epic battles over the years and now that the Bombers have joined the LL the game should have even more significance. Game @ Ithaca on 4/11 should be a dooosey.
Tigerlaxguy

New postby LazyLightning on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

I think Skidmore is the wild card. Moving in the right direction, but haven't quite turned the corner yet. If they beat either RPI or Union (already lost to Clarkson) they get a spot in the LL Tournament.

And of course a loss to Vassar would likely knock them out as well, but I don't see that happening.

Big game for the Thoroughbreds at home tomorrow against Wesleyan. No LL implications but would be a great confidence booster.
Been talking a lot about less and less...
LazyLightning

New postby ICGrad on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 pm

I watched Ithaca yesterday and my expectations were high, so maybe thats why I wasn't very impressed with them against Oneonta. The Coast Guard game would have been a better look at them.

I'm a little surprised by this assessment. An away game, coming off of a long spring break trip, and they absolutley throttled Oneonta for the first half, leading 10-0...and then playing the young-uns most of the rest of the way and still winning by 8.
ICGrad

New postby ICGrad on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Ouch.

I go out for a run with IC leading 5-3, and come back to my car an hour later with them getting rolled 13-6. Damn.

I mean, I didn't think RPI would be an easy out; I even thought there was a decnt chance IC would lose. didn't expect 16-7, though.
ICGrad

New postby Phella on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:04 pm

ICGRAD, that is exactly what I watched in the Oneonta game, I missed the first half and thought they looked confused in the half I watched. Totally makes sense, my bad.
So with RPI making a statement today, and RIT seemingly more potent than last years squad, IC"s visit to Canton on Wednesday should be a great one. The Saints seem to have put the pieces together since their up and down start.
I hate to say a good loss for Skidmore, but they play Wesleyan tough and can keep their chins up after that one.
Kind of surprised Clarkson dropped that one today.
Phella

New postby djp68 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Lots of surprises today, Phella. Williams blowing the doors off of Bates, York dismantling Salisbury, Bowdoin over Middlebury. I won’t call it parity, but there is so much talent out there that if you aren’t on your game, you will lose.
djp68

New postby LazyLightning on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am

It was a good loss for Skidmore. Tied at the half, but Wesleyan had 5 unanswered goals in the third.

Skidmore/RPI this weekend.

Was at the RIT/Vassar game. Vassar is good at lacrosse. RIT is better.
LazyLightning

New postby livelax24 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Phella,

You think RIT looks more potent than last year??? care to elaborate?

Anyway, an interesting weekend across the board, I'd have to agree there. The parity in lacrosse among all divisions is quite impressive. The month of May will be very exciting this year!
livelax24

New postby LazyLightning on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

RIT is off the charts in terms of banging the ball around and stick skills, I couldn't help but notice they looked a little on the small side this year. Like very few guys over 6 ft.
LazyLightning

New postby Phella on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I don't know exactly what i see in RIT this year that makes them seem more nasty than last year. Their ability to score on almost all unsettled plays is unique to them, and it doesn't matter who is on the field. It's like watching a "West Genny" drill clinic all day long. Set offense is very good as well, but their magic is transition goals with everyone chipping in.
I'm not a fan, but I do love to watch them play, and I think they may be the team to beat right now.
Phella

New postby livelax24 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 pm

I will agree with you that their transition/unsettled game is unmatched, but it has been for a few years. I guess I'm just curious as to how a team that went to the National Championship last year and lost their top 2 scorers (one of which was the all-time leader in RIT history) can look more dangerous.

I will admit that I have not seen them play this year but after seeing them a bunch last year, that comment surprised me is all. I'll take your word for it since you have actually seen them play, like I said, I can only go off last year. Wasn't trying to question you by any means, just curious.
livelax24

New postby LazyLightning on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:02 am

Not sure if it's more than previous years but they have a ton of Canadians (https://www.ritathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax). They tend to have a different skill set than U.S. bred players.

Everyone seems to know where to be and where the ball should go. Granted most players do at top DIII schools, but RIT seems to be more intuitive.
LazyLightning

New postby Phella on Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Good point, do Canadian Lax players come in as 20-21 year old Freshman, like in hockey?? I know they mill around in juniors playing hockey for 3 years then enter an American School as a Freshman. Not sure if that happens in Lax but I am curious.
Lots of good Lax players up north, and they have a two season game up there, something that seems to be catching on in the States now a days. Hard to believe Box is just making its mark now, its a great off season game.
Phella

New postby livelax24 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:11 am

Phella,

The answer to your question is yes, it sometimes does happen like hockey players. The Macdonald kid is at least 26 years old, granted he has missed some years but if you look through RIT's history, he was on the team as a freshman in 2012. That roster lists his birth year as 1991.
livelax24

New postby idealtin on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:50 am

Gents- Here is my take- Better schools attract better students, in the lacrosse landscape notice the nescac and the LL vs the more traditional colleges with liberal arts. I will use RIT and NAZ as a prime example. If my son has the grades and desire to take the courses at RIT and get an engineering degree, that carries much more weight than a liberal arts/ business administration degree from NAZ, where is he going to go? Pretty simple answer there.
For years I pleaded with Braverman (college pres. at NAZ) to get some majors to help recruit those students that RIT, Stevens and the nescac schools were getting, but to no avail, it's not where they wanted to proceed. Also notice schools like Houghton, Elmira, and the suny schools who add sports just to keep their numbers up because as we all know enrollment is declining at all colleges across the country. In todays landscape there are so many teams that the level of lacrosse has been diminished by the number of players involved, some of the players would not even make a good high school program.

Gone are the days when Jake Coon went to NAZ for his undergraduate degree. Kudos to him for doing a fantastic job at RIT. He has found a nice niche in Rochester.
idealtin

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III