Re: Centennial Conference 2018

New postby thatsmell on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Proving "We Are the New Era" at McDaniel:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacr ... story.html
"I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

New postby suthunlax on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Less than a month before F&M gets the Centennial rolling on 2/10 at Cabrini, with 5 more starting 2/17. Anyone have anything to share about the upcoming season? I'll start the the discussion by noting that while pre-season polls are essentially meaningless, it's nice to see plenty of CC teams in the top 25 discussion. Here's hoping for success to all CC teams on their out-of-conf slate so that they come in prepped for a solid in-conf competition and the conf has as many teams as possible in position for post-season consideration by the committee.
suthunlax

New postby TartanLax1822 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Haverford College is going to make serious waves this year. 2nd year coach who knows what he wants in the long term from a sleeping giant of a D3 program. Young talent who is hungry and only on the way up. They've been knocking on the door to try and get out of hell but this year they're going to kick it down and crash the party. Go Squirrels
TartanLax1822

New postby suthunlax on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Dawson did a nice job at HAV last year with a team recruited entirely by his predecessor. With the exception of the goalie who graduated as an AA two years ago and last year's CC Def POY, Bathory seemed to lose out to Gress at SWAT the past couple of recruiting years when it came to landing kids who had both lax skills and the academic chops to get into arguably the conf's most selective schools with D3 lax programs. Not sure how much of a hand Dawson had in getting the current freshmen, but my guess is he will get them where they need to go. SWAT is definitely on the upswing; perhaps HAV will keep pace this year.

Along with HAV, UC and WAC have demonstrated some inconsistency I find puzzling. They have solid coaches and recruits, yet have been unable to live up to expectations the last couple of seasons. UC has been mentioned as a poss tourney team for the last couple of years even post-Neff; not sure why they keep derailing themselves (case in point: last year's game with HAV). As for WAC, that's the million-dollar question.

F&M and G'burg wil be solid. Am curious to see if Webby can hold things together at Dickinson this year. Are they playing in the mustang Classic? If so, that should be a good litmus test to see if the have progressed from what was a decent performance last year.
suthunlax

New postby Cnoll on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes, they play Denison again in the Mustang Classic. Don’t know who their 2nd game is against
Cnoll

New postby northeast lax on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 pm

http://www.dickinsonathletics.com/sports/mlax/2017-18/schedule

Denison and Stevenson at the Mustang Classic apparently
northeast lax

New postby DevilHoundLax on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:51 pm

How did the Devils look today?
DevilHoundLax

New postby laxfan7887 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Offense looked good.... even better vs. Montclair St.
laxfan7887

New postby SixBySix on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Overall, a pretty great start to OOC for the conference, with an overall record of 21-10, a couple great wins and few bad losses.

Big Wins for the Centennial:
Gettysburg over Salisbury
Gettysburg over Stevenson
F&M over Lynchburg

Big Wins for A Given Team:
Muhlenberg over Scranton
Muhlenberg over Susquehanna
McDaniel over Ohio Northern
Swarthmore over Vassar
Haverford over Eastern (not quite a good win yet, but I suspect the Eagles will gain some traction)
*Adding McDaniel over Frostburg State
SixBySix

New postby Lax Fidelis on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 am

You can add Gettysburg winning @ York to that list.
"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." Paul Simon, 1968.

I.O.K.I.Y.A.R.

Caveat lector, nullius in verba.
Lax Fidelis

New postby Laxdds on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes that was another +++ win for the Bullets. I have Gettysburg, F&M, Dickinson in the CC tournament. Not sure who that fourth team will be, any ideas?
GO BULLETS!!
Laxdds

New postby OnTheGrind on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Looking like we could be in for a year in the CC.

Gettysburg looking as good as ever coming off a huge win against salisbury followed by a good win against York last night. Game started out all Gettysburg but York pressed them in the second half. If Gettysburg plays a full game, they win that by 12.

Dickinson also off to a powerful start with solid losses coming to Roanoke and a perennial power Cabrini. I have a feeling Dickinson Gettysburg may be the ship this year. I think it is worth noting that they absolutely DISMANTLED Montclair state who has been a tournament team, although in a weak conference, for the last 8+? years. I did catch some of that game and they were up by nearly 20 going into half. The dogs were called off and they didn't put up another goal in the 4th. If they can figure out how to get back to that, I have no doubt where they will be at the end of the year.

Surprised to see F&M with that loss to W&L. Yes, W&L is a good team and historically a powerhouse, but this is a game I bet the Dips wish they could get back.

As of right now Im predicting Haverford to be in that 4th spot come CC playoffs but we'll see how the pot stirs when conference play rolls around.

The two teams that I find in the background of the spotlight of the CC right now are McDaniel and Muhlenberg. McDaniel has played no-one, no-one, no-one, Goucher and Frostburg. Cant figure out how you lose to Goucher, but beat Frostburg :think: . Even if the rumors are true that Frosty may not be what they have been in recent history, Goucher is a struggling team, even in a slouch conference like the Landmark.

Muhlenberg on the other hand, starting out 4-0, making this ALREADY the most successful season they've had in 5+ years. Again, not that Susquehanna and Scranton are in their prime years, but I would consider these both big wins for a team that hasn't won more than 3 games in quite some time. The shining star here is the win today against Rhodes. Rhodes is coming off a 13-3 season and although I won't/can't comment on the competition they face, success breeds success and this is a game that I'm surprised the Mules were able to pull off. I would have picked Rhodes 9/10 times. Solid start to a young Mules team and a settled in coaching staff. Will be curious to see if we will have another legitimate contender fighting for the CC throne this year and in years to come.

I think this will be an interesting year in the CC and I know I would personally like to see some new faces in at the top of the podium come the end of the year.
OnTheGrind

New postby Laxdds on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am

I agree Muhlenberg and McDaniel are making strides towards the top of the CC and lets not forget Ursinus. It should be a great spring for lacrosse fans in PA and MD. My prediction: The #1 seed come tourny time will have 1 loss and very likely 2. As far as the Bullets they need to take care of business against Eastern, go to W&L in mid week at night which will be very tough!! take on Widener...Then bring on the Conference Schedule.
GO BULLETS
Laxdds

New postby suthunlax on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am

Saw F&M and W&L game; Generals' FOGO is very good and got them early possessions that they capitalized on. F&M played from behind entire game and W&L defense, which -- other than their goalie -- had not been one of their strong points, stepped up enough to contain the Dips' offense. Rogers was a no-show for F&M until the last three minutes of the third qtr. Mollihan had a bunch of goals but can't carry the offense all by himself. Coach Cavallaro will use this as an object lesson for his charges and they should regroup and do well in the conf.

Heard from a 'Noke alum who saw game that Red Devils looked inconsistent at both ends of the field. Both St Mary's and Montclair State are reportedly in the rebuilding stage, so not sure if those wins mean much. Tight game with Cabrini might be noteworthy depending upon how Cabrini does in the next few weeks.

Think G'burg is the team to beat this year, although the season is still fairly young.

Don't think Haverford will make much noise especially after losing 5-3 to Randolph Macon; teams have played tight in the past but a score like that is less about awesome defense and more about struggles on offense. Squirrels lack a QB on offense -- something they haven't had for a number of years now -- and if current rumor is true, might have lost their top FOGO for the rest of the season due to injury. Offense erratic, defense still finding itself, clears need work, goalie play has been solid.

Can Gress continue SWAT's recent winning ways? What king of new talent did he bring in?

Will Shirk right the ship at WAC? He gets good talent and they've shown some glimpses, but not consistently. WOTS will likely be one-sided: SAL will be "hangry." WAC's next two games will be very telling; Stockton is particularly important since how they fare in that game can be used as a measuring stick against HAV which beat Stockton by 6. Would really like to see WAC demonstrate some ball control for extended periods in these two games; will need to be able to hold onto ball for long periods once CC play starts.

Glad to see Mules with a winning record. Not the strongest OOC schedule, but prob good for building long-term program confidence and attracting better recruits. Don't see them fairing well in the conf, though.
suthunlax

New postby OnTheGrind on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm

IMO Ursinus has completely dropped the ball over the last few seasons. They were at the top just a couple years back and have been on a steady decline since. Don't expect them to be in the conversation, big picture.

And I agree, Mules OOC wins are nothing immaculate but clearly an improvement. Dont expect them to be in the playoffs this year but I wouldnt be surprised if they mix things up for some teams by pulling off an upset and ruining someones post season dreams.
OnTheGrind

New postby ctlaxer12 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:51 pm

F&M with a solid victory over a very, very good Messiah squad. Dips were up 5 multiple times and by 3 with about a minute to play, Messiah able to climb back each time.

F&M plays a very NESCAC brand of lacrosse, featuring one of the best offenses in the nation. However, they need to be far better on the defensive end and make more saves. If they do not tighten up those two areas, they will be looking up at Devils and Bullets this year.

They'll have a very tough Cortland squad this week. Will need a Herculean effort on both ends to come away victorious.

P.S. Kudos to Messiah and it's program, always tough. They've played one of the toughest out of conference schedules this year, including Gburg, OWU, and F&M. Each game went down to the wire.
ctlaxer12

New postby YCOlaxfanSU on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:50 pm

P.S. Kudos to Messiah and it's program, always tough. They've played one of the toughest out of conference schedules this year, including Gburg, OWU, and F&M. Each game went down to the wire.

Could this be the year they knock off Stevenson and take the conference?
YCOlaxfanSU

New postby ctlaxer12 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot be of more assistance in that area, you'll likely have better luck with that question in the MAC forum. I can say that both times I've seen Messiah, I've walked away extremely impressed and believe they should be in the conversation as a top 20 team. Being down 7-2 on the road against an F&M team that can score in so many ways, no one would have blamed the Falcons if they packed it in and took one on the chin. However, each time I thought F&M was destined to pull away, Messiah roared back. To put Messiah in perspective, they are 5 goals away from being 5-0.
ctlaxer12

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III