Washington & Lee 2018

Re: Washington & Lee 2018

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:56 am

Not to change the subject but the Gennies football team has caught fire. Freshman Josh Breece just set the single season rushing record with 1376 yards with a spicy 7.5 yards per carry. 5'7" at 170 lbs with track speed, maybe he'd consider a spring sport carrying a stick providing a 100% clearing game . Good luck to them against Shenandoah for the ODAC title
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:15 pm

http://www.generalssports.com/sports/fb ... 1118n1k7kf
Generals lose to Mt Union 21-0... time of possession for the Generals was 37 minutes, have to wonder if on a dry field they might have stole one. Breece had 160 +yards and not only finished the season with the rushing record for W&L but the ODAC conference as well
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby onceamink on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Dehuntshigwa'es wrote:http://www.generalssports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20171118n1k7kf
Generals lose to Mt Union 21-0... time of possession for the Generals was 37 minutes, have to wonder if on a dry field they might have stole one. Breece had 160 +yards and not only finished the season with the rushing record for W&L but the ODAC conference as well

I think a dry field would not have been in the generals favor. More interesting was the MU starting qb was arrested on an outstanding warrant on friday. He posted bail and played on sat. :D Got to make sure your priorities are right.

Generals had a great season, just need to bring in more numbers during recruiting. They don't have the depth they need. Too many upperclassmen quit when they realize they won't get playing time. Loss to EH cost them a more favorable first round match up and probably a top 25 ranking.
"Beat them d*** Wahoos"
onceamink

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Inside Lacrosse has W&L ranked 22 with HSC 19 Roanoke 18 and Lynchburg 10. Witherell was rated as a first AA with Hodgson HM and Gifford at HM as well...The women are getting some love as well at 3. Haley Tucker is a player of the year candidate . Nice to see 4 ODAC teams in that top 25 conversation. Hopefully the Generals have solidified the goal position. If the current sophomore class can improve upon the promise they showed last season I believe the Generals could go deep in May
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby nosy ned on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Wow ... impressive. I haven't received my Face Off issue yet, does that put the ODAC as the pre-season "toughest" conference? How about NESCAC ... how many do they have. Dehunt, if you are so inclined, perhaps you could list the top 25 for us that haven't seen it? Maybe start a new thread so we have one last topic to debate these next LONG 2 months as we wait with baited breath for the boys to finally get back to meaningful games!
nosy ned

New postby USLX on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:26 pm

I think it would be a difficult argument to make that the ODAC is the toughest conference. Perhaps it is the most top heavy? Based on 2017 results, outside of the top 4, you have Shenandoah, RMC, Guilford, Bridgewater, Randolph, and VA Wes. Of that list, one team is over .500, and none of them have a winning record in conference.

Compare that to others outside the top 4 in their conference and you see "tougher" competition.
Capital - Frostburg
Centennial - Ursinus & WAC
NESCAC - Tufts & Middlebury

The ODAC has a Power 4 that is tough nationally, but as a conference, I think it is a stretch.
USLX

New postby FannOLax on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Conventional wisdom has the NESCAC as the top D3 conference; Colby (who finished 8th in the NESCAC) beating W&L in Lexington, VA in 2015 certainly showed NESCAC's depth. That being said, with Daly gone from Tufts, I don't see the top of the NESCAC being nearly as strong as it was through 2016. In any case, Gettsysburg @ W&L 2018 should be a very good OOC game (and I was hoping to time my next visit to Lexington so as to attend).
FannOLax

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

ctbagataway wrote:Uh, Dehunt-seems like he already did.
I'm saying I believe Atkins will be the starter...I also think Mullholland will see early action. York will be a great test to see where the Generals are at. Any additional names that are not on Laxpower who will be entering the fall of 2018?
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby Off the Crossbar on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Dehuntshigwa'es wrote:Any additional names that are not on Laxpower who will be entering the fall of 2018?

I found the following additional persons identified as entering in the Fall of 2018 (one from LaxPower but not previously listed in forum and one noted from recent social media tweet):

Jack Cooney - https://youtu.be/xOibhCU-igE
George Rovegno - https://youtu.be/wx8PqZL7AWU
Off the Crossbar

New postby Cnoll on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm

So, what is the general consensus on the opening regular season game versus Denison? Should be a good one!
Cnoll

New postby richard on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Denison needs a better game plan than they had last year. W&L made them pay for their aggressiveness on defense and has a stronger offense this year. Game is in Lex?, if so I'll go w/ the Generals.
"I'm not lost, Kansas City's lost."- W.C. Fields
richard

New postby nosy ned on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Picking the home team in OOC games between teams with similar talent is always a wise choice. But with that said, interesting fact is the home team hasn't won this match-up since 2011 ... found that curiously odd, and worth noting given the above. Perhaps more of an advantage to the Generals will be the 2 previous games they will have already played vs this being game 1 on the Big Red slate.

Last year I think it was more of a question of possession, or more correctly the lack there of in regards to Denison. They were leading 11-7 after 3 quarters and then couldn't win a face off or clear the ball. The D naturally got tired and W&L made them pay ... out-shooting the Big Red 16-2 and outscoring them 8-0 in the 4th. Great comeback by the Generals. Something tells me the boys will be reminded of that often by Caravana as they prep for this contest.

Anyway should be a good one and I'm sure fans of both programs can't wait to get started!

Best of luck to the Generals this year - just not a lot of it on Feb 18th! HAHA
nosy ned

New postby Cnoll on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

I witnessed last years 4th quarter collapse in person. W and L scored a couple of goals and rode the momentum. Anything can happen in these early season games when teams are still trying to mesh.
Cnoll

New postby ctbagataway on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Cnoll wrote:So, what is the general consensus on the opening regular season game versus Denison? Should be a good one!

Hmm. Well, the opening game for W&L at least is against York, not Denison. York is top 5 in both polls and should be a stern test. Would have to think they are favored but I like W&L's chances given the number of returning players they have this season. Should be fun!
ctbagataway

New postby ODACLax on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Anyone go to the scrimmage today? Any insights?
ODACLax

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Ok it's only the first half of the first game of the season but that's about the ugliest play for a half that I've seen by the Generals in a very long time. It isn't the goalie, I think the D has forgotten to turn a couple of pages on their calendar, it's Feb 10th not Oct 10th playing fall ball............Looking forward to the second half it can only get better
:lol: York 8- W&L 0... God forbid you face guard or at least pay attention to McGrath, he's only put up 5 in the first half. Hope I have eat these words later................... Yes ! not great but a much improved second half. Held York to 2 goals and reduced the unforced turnovers. W&L was 10/19 on clears which destroyed their time of possession. Man up 1/5 ???. Offensively the only player who should be allowed to hold the ball is AJ Witherell everyone else holds the ball WAY too long,move it. Impressed with the play of Mulholland, he could easily run on the first or second mid line he might be a better option . Also like to see mulholland get a shot on man up. The D looked better in the second half, dont know if it was the scheme but seemed more like a communications issue, either not sliding and covering or sliding way too early. First game' bad first half' nice second...It's a LONG season. Biggest takeaway, they have a goalie and Mulholland will play his way onto man up and first or second mid line soon . This group will get better
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby mink84 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm

It was a very draining week for the boys. The father of one of their captains unexpectedly passed away. The entire team took a bus to the funeral on Thursday to support their teammate. Quite a statement about the program. Once the boys got their wits about themselves, they settled down and won the second half 4-2. York is a very good team. Remember York beat the 2017 D3 national champs last season, and they didn't graduate many from that team. Go Generals beat the Captains!
mink84

New postby Dehuntshigwa'es on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Time to reboot. Winning the second half of their contests but starting out down 14-0 over the last two games by half time is a tough number to overcome. They've been out shot 57 to 15 over 60 minutes of first half play. Clearing has been abysmal.4-7 and 7-12 in first half clears vs their opp., who are at a perfect 100%. Denison is a great chance to reboot or they are looking at 0-3 and only 8 days into the season. Cruz for CNU was 17-22 on faceoffs??? Positives are Atkins who is playing well and Mulholland, who needs to run on one of the first two lines and play man up . Hopefully the Generals have things worked out. This will be Denison's first game and on the road. Looking for the Generals despite the two losses to rebound
Dehuntshigwa'es

New postby D3fanguy1975 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 pm

ehhhhhhhhhhh.........warm up the bus! Long year for the Generals!!!
D3fanguy1975

New postby nosy ned on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Dehuntshigwa'es wrote:Time to reboot. Winning the second half of their contests but starting out down 14-0 over the last two games by half time is a tough number to overcome. They've been out shot 57 to 15 over 60 minutes of first half play. Clearing has been abysmal.4-7 and 7-12 in first half clears vs their opp., who are at a perfect 100%. Denison is a great chance to reboot or they are looking at 0-3 and only 8 days into the season. Cruz for CNU was 17-22 on faceoffs??? Positives are Atkins who is playing well and Mulholland, who needs to run on one of the first two lines and play man up . Hopefully the Generals have things worked out. This will be Denison's first game and on the road. Looking for the Generals despite the two losses to rebound

I will caution you on taking last year's game and simply assuming Denison will be a pushover and will provide a "great" chance to "reboot" and "rebound" on. Not least of all because they return the entire face off unit that won 63.9% of face offs last year and almost the entire defense that cleared the ball at over 90% and are a well coached, hard playing team that can make clearing a chore - don't have the clear against stats but willing to bet they would bear me out (LY national champs were only 18-22 on clears the last game this unit played). So the 3 facets of this years General team that you yourself point out handicapped them in their first 2 games - are areas I expect Denison will pose a challenge with. And lastly I'll point out that the "road" team has won this game the past six years! So the only thing I can't refute is that yes you are correct, it will be Denison's first game of the season.

Now all that said, I'm not going to be brash and guarantee a Denison win or anything - not after last year's game. But I am willing to bet Caravana will have his team ready for this game because he won't have let them forget that 5 goal lead late in the 3rd Q they let slip away last year and prevented them from taking an undefeated record into that semi-final game. Something tells me the Big Red will get off the bus ready for this game.

So in the end, I expect another good game by 2 well coached, talented teams and may the better team win.

Good luck to the Generals - just not a lot of it on Sunday!
Last edited by nosy ned on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nosy ned

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III