SAA 2018

SAA 2018

New postby laxmarmot on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Well sad, but not surprising news out of the Conference. Millsaps cancelling the upcoming season. The announcement runs counter to the talk at the end of Millsaps season when the staff was assuring all involved that they had a big group of freshmen coming in.
Will Oglethorpe follow suit ? The Petrels have a HC job posted so they may try to rebuild, but I think there would have to be a change of heart, and support to pull that off. Even if their, the Petrels, fold up at a later date, 6 teams remain and the AQ is safe within the Conference. Best of luck to those players and Staff.
Your Preparation of today Determines your Achievements of Tomorrow
laxmarmot

Re: SAA 2018

New postby SAA-Lax on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:55 am

Birmingham-Southern with a new assistant coach, Carson Sterling. I assume he will be taking over the offense for this next season. Sterling is a recent Lenoir-Rhyne alumnus.
SAA-Lax

New postby laxmarmot on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:51 am

Any early thoughts on the Conference so far ? I was just looking over the Rhodes roster and they lost 4 to graduation but their all where contributors. 6 Srs in 2018, and a continued raise in the program over the last few years. Might this be the year Coach Z gets the recipe for the Conference title right?
laxmarmot

New postby SAA-Lax on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Sewanee loses their entire starting defense and goalie, but they return what will be one of Division 3's top 40 offenses. They will wreak havoc on SAA defenses this year. They return every major offensive contributor and bring in two of the best attackman from Texas, Daniel Burnum (Dallas Jesuit) and Jake Vaughn (St. Marks) and I'm not even sure how much playing time those two will get because of how loaded this Sewanee offense will be. Sewanee has a quality pole returning in Grant Gilmore who had a ton of playing time near the end of the season and some underclass defenders who are more than ready to step up and strut their stuff.

All that being said. Sewanee will not win the conference this year. Sewanee is obviously in the top of the running, but I believe this year the conference will be won by Rhodes or Berry.

Both teams return a ton of talent, and the returning talent is mostly all upperclassmen. Berry loses Quentin Johnson, but Bailey Martin is more than ready to fill in as the primary dodger. Rhodes brings back Ryan Fennelly, a lot of the rest of their potent offensive group, and their goalie who had a surprisingly strong year last year.

My early rankings for the conference are:

1. Berry
2. Rhodes
3. Sewanee
4. Birmingham-Southern
5. Centre
6. Hendrix
7. Oglethorpe
SAA-Lax

New postby SAA-Lax on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 am

http://berryvikings.com/sports/mlax/201 ... 8_recruits

Berry released their incoming recruits. They are bringing in 13 this year. A step down from the like 25 that they had last year.
SAA-Lax

New postby SAA-Lax on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:42 am

Just tried to find tape on as many of their incoming guys as I could and from what I saw, it looks like Carter Dixon is the only guy who will for sure be getting minutes. He's got size and a big shot to add to Berry's already plentiful stockpile of outside shooters. Matt Gilbert could get some minutes at close D. He fits into Berry's defensive mindset at close as being rugged and hitting shooters so they won't want to shoot anymore.

Overall not the most impressive class, but Berry already has a fairly complete team so this class will add depth at the least.
SAA-Lax

New postby MidHighs on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Heard a rumor that Oggie may be taking the 2017/18 season off for lacrosse...
What does that mean for the SAA with Millsaps not playing this year and Oglethorpe potentially not playing this year?
Will Oglethorpe be able to recover from taking 2 years off in 4 years?.... I hope so
MidHighs

New postby Casey221 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Is it a heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy rumor.

I'd say based on how quickly they posted the position, I would think they are intending on having a program. Lots of kids from Atlanta on rosters of other college programs. Oglethorpe just needs an experienced coach who can get the right kids on campus and then retain them!
Casey221

New postby MidHighs on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:09 pm

The University is bringing it up to the candidates... :think:
How many more years can they keep a team going with sub 20 players? And not having a full time assistant coach?
MidHighs

New postby solaxfan on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 pm

I could understand a Hendrix and a Milsaps having a more difficult time fielding consistent competitive teams given their location (MS and AR) and the lack of HS programs in these two states. (Hendrix obviously has done a much better job at it) I'm sure that there are those that would say they should be recruiting from other places ("hotbeds") but the reality is that especially for DIII most schools get the vast majority of their students in-state or within a 200 mile radius of the campus.

I've always been perplexed by Oglethorpe however. While certainly not a "hotbed" there is enough lacrosse talent in the state (especially in the Atlanta metro area) for them to be able to fill out a roster with decent talent (at least enough to be competitive in the conference). I know they've had some financial difficulties in the past (most recent Forbes college financial reports gives them a "D" grade) so I'm sure that may be part of the issue. I thought they got off to a bad start when they started the program and the AD served as the HC. No idea if he was qualified or not but certainly his focus would not have been the same as a FT HC and not sure what kind of a message that sends as far as financial commitment to the program.
solaxfan

New postby laxmarmot on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 am

It is the same ole story with the Petrels. The school is small and the cost is north of 40k. There are other options that are a little more attractive to potential players. The Coach, with no Asst. only has some much time to run the program and find new talent. It is a tough sell from several angles, but I hope they can get it together soon. As always, a Full Time Asst. Coach would double the recruiting and make a big time statement on the schools commitment to the program. We will be watching with fingers crossed.
laxmarmot

New postby laxmarmot on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:47 am

Well that didn't take to long Petrels find a new leader...
http://gopetrels.com/sports/mlax/2016-1 ... 0809ov8hlq
I wish Coach Taylor good luck, the Petrels have been setting lots of school records and I hope that trend continues.
laxmarmot

New postby laxmarmot on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:07 pm

No news out of the SAA lately. With Oglethorpe finding a Coach, and Millsaps sitting out this season, will the power 3 fight it out as usual, and leave that final spot in the playoffs up for grabs ? Can one of the teams in the lower half of the Conference crank it up and make it exciting ?
laxmarmot

New postby laxmarmot on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Some good news coming out of Oglethorpe. New H.C. Z.Taylor has an Asst. Kyle Morris has come on board, something previous Coaches have been asking for, and not getting, for years. Oh well a late decision is better than another "NO" decision. Welcome and get busy ! :D
laxmarmot

New postby laxmarmot on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Over at Oglethorpe, I see new HC Z. Taylor has the schedule up. Just 11 D - 3 opponents, starting out with Tenn. Wes. (NAIA) as a tune-up, making the 12 games season. The school has finally added the much needed Asst. which will pay dividends on the recruiting and game management side. Hope we can see Millsaps right the ship and get behind the program, so the conference will be back to full strength next season.
laxmarmot

New postby SAA-Lax on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Birmingham-Southern's 2018 schedule

2/10 – Brevard
2/17 - @ Washington College
2/23 - @ Southwestern University
2/24 - # Whittier
2/28 – Ferrum
3/4- Aurora
3/7 – @ Huntingdon
3/11 – Concordia Wisconsin
3/16 – Sewanee
3/18 – Centre
3/25 – Rhodes
3/31 – # Augustana
4/7 - @ Berry
4/8 - @ Oglethorpe
4/14 - @ Hendrix
SAA-Lax

New postby SAA-Lax on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Any updates on fall ball scores?

BSC unofficially lost to UAH 11-10
Game was tied 8-8 at the end of the third before both teams started relentlessly subbing.

BSC was without two senior starters and some injured role players

Also, rumor is BSC is getting a transfer from a different D3 school. Don't know any other information than that.

Berry played Young Harris and North Greenville, but I can't find any scores.

Rhodes had an intrasquad scrimmage with one team winning 10-7, but that doesn't really tell us anything
Although, they do have a "hype" (more so melodramatic) video for this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osIp7qZq32Y
SAA-Lax

New postby Squatchum on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Unfortunately...let's look at the writing on the wall in regards to Hendrix...since the departure of Coach Foxx from Hendrix their 2018 roster has dramatically dropped.

If I'm reading correctly...they are fielding 21 players for 2018. Also, they have no posted 2018 schedule. Not a good look or start for Coach Biondo, anyone have deeper insight into this other than "they're in AR"?
Squatchum

New postby GHSLaxDad on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 am

Most teams don't have the 2018 schedule posted yet and Hendrix doesn't have the incoming freshman listed which can be 10-20 additional players.
GHSLaxDad

New postby DingDong on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:25 am

Squatchum wrote:Unfortunately...let's look at the writing on the wall in regards to Hendrix...since the departure of Coach Foxx from Hendrix their 2018 roster has dramatically dropped.

If I'm reading correctly...they are fielding 21 players for 2018. Also, they have no posted 2018 schedule. Not a good look or start for Coach Biondo, anyone have deeper insight into this other than "they're in AR"?

What on Earth are you talking about? Try to think before you troll. The 2018 roster does not include freshmen, presumably because the coaching staff doesn't consider them to have made the team yet. And not releasing your Spring schedule by Nov 1st. is hardly something unique to Hendrix Lacrosse.
DingDong

Sponsor

Next

Return to Men's - Division III