SAA 2018

Re: SAA 2018

New postby Smacryan on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Catholic is a good team but Sewanee also self-destructed. A lot of unforced turnovers and forced turnovers setup by poor passing. Not certain the ratio but I pretty certain more than 50% of Catholic's goals were scored in transition after turnovers. Sewanee puts a lot of talent onto field this year, so even with all these errors they will win a lot of games. If they cut the unforced errors even by half, the tougher part of their schedule will go well too.
Smacryan

New postby laxmarmot on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Centre drops an 3 - 8 lose to Huntingdon, anyone with eyes on the game ? The stats don't look that bad. It may be a long season at Centre.
Your Preparation of today Determines your Achievements of Tomorrow
laxmarmot

New postby southLaxFacts on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Only 8 goals in the first two games for Centre. Their offense really needs to step up, and give their HMAA goalie a cushion. Hopefully they find their rhythm with the two cupcake games they have coming up.
southLaxFacts

New postby D3fanguy1975 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Not sure why we immediately rush to assume Centre will have a tough year because they lose to HC. Maybe HC is a lot better than you think...... They were picked third preseason with 30 points only behind Ferrum and Methodist who garnered 31 points.

The game was an 8-3 beatdown. One of those slow torturing ones. HC dominated possession time, hit 6 pipes and if it wasn't for the centre gk its at least 8-0 halftime. Centre couldn't crack the defense and struggled to clear. Centre took a jab to the chin from Piedmont and survived but an absolute haymaker to the jaw this afternoon. USA South lacrosse is catching up and I look forward to following the competition between the two conferences this spring!!
D3fanguy1975

New postby lax_guru42 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm

I think the Hendrix game vs HC on Sunday will be a good litmus test to test the "long season at Centre" theory.
lax_guru42

New postby GHSLaxDad on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 am

Very impressive game by Berry yesterday losing to Christopher Newport by 1 goal, 10-9. CNC had just come off a win of a top 20 ranked team in W&L and Berry went goal for goal right up to the last few minutes. This has to be the most impressive game of an SAA team up to now and shows we (SAA) can play with the better conferences. Being a parent of a Rhodes player I have no allegiance to Berry but just showing some respect where respect is due.
GHSLaxDad

New postby southLaxFacts on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 am

GHSLaxDad wrote:This has to be the most impressive game of an SAA team up to now and shows we (SAA) can play with the better conferences.

Sewanee and Berry (& maybe Rhodes) can "hang around" with some teams from better conferences.....don't know about the rest of the conference.
southLaxFacts

New postby GHSLaxDad on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 pm

That's true only top 3 appear to be on their way to becoming legit. This is Rhodes 1st year with a solid legitimate team, they started in the fall with 53 players and currently have 50. This is by far the best incoming class they've ever had.
The starters have scrimmaged the backups 3 times and lost all three games so there will be changes as the year goes on. Only soft spot is still on face offs. looking at next years recruits on this site they seem to have finally landed one.
GHSLaxDad

New postby CATLax61 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Centre's top scorer from last year (Gray) has been hurt for the last two games.
CATLax61

New postby Cavitee on Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:52 pm

The X was productive yesterday in Greencastle for the Lynx with 19/30 effort. Coupled with balanced scoring in the face of tremendous adversity (read - chippy) relinquishing a 5 goal first quarter lead to enter halftime 8-7. Went on a 7-0 run, to close the door.
Good road win!
Cavitee

New postby Smacryan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Sewanee beat Guilford yesterday, 10-7, in the rain an infamous Sewanee fog. The game was really not as close as the score implies. When the game looked ‘done’ at 8-4, Sewanee seemed to take their foot off the gas. Guilford reeled off 3 quick goals in the fourth period, before the Tigers got the momentum of the game back in their direction and closed it out.

Sewanee followed that with a 9-8 OT win today over Southwestern. Sewanee came out of the gate a bit lackluster looking and the Pirates jumped up 2-0. The game stayed close and the Tigers took their first lead of the game at 6-5 in the third period. Neither team was able to score in the final 3:45. Sewanee won the FO in OT and worked the offense for almost 3 minutes before scoring.

With all due respect to Southwestern, the game should not have been that close. Kudos to the Pirates for taking advantage of Sewanee’s lack of focus or weariness or whatever it was that made the game even
Smacryan

New postby D3fanguy1975 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 pm

These SAA guys really think when their team plays close with someone of relevance (not sure even CNU counts as relevant yet) that they (SAA) has a shot at the national title. When their team shows who we thought they were in an overtime game vs another team that is not that far off from them (but perceived as inferior) these cats have 100000 excuses.
D3fanguy1975

New postby Smacryan on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 pm

D3fanguy1975 wrote:These SAA guys...have 100000 excuses.

Thanks for the hyperbole, but I don’t understand why you stopped at 100,000. Why not 1,000,000 or even 1,000,000,000. I mean, c’mon, if you are going to exaggerate, dream big. Enough with the 100k small-mindedness. Lie big or go home.

I watched Guilford and Southwestern both play the same team within 24 hours. I saw the results of both games. Based on that if I was asked to bet on Guilford v Southwestern, I would take Guilford -5 points.

Not about excuses. Just giving color to games I’ve seen.
Smacryan

New postby GHSLaxDad on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:44 am

D3Fan, Do you randomly troll conference forums to make derogatory statements or is it more personal than that? I can think of 100K things you can be doing that are much more productive.
GHSLaxDad

New postby southLaxFacts on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 am

Hendrix beat Southwestern...Southwestern takes Sewanee to OT....so is Hendrix a contender for the SAA title lol :lol: ??

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day, whoever wins the SAA is going to lose in the first round anyway. Like I said weeks ago the SAA plays teams like Roanoke, WAC, and Denison this year and will lose all of them, as expected. Teams like Berry and Sewanee can compete with further established programs but only beating a bottom of the ODAC team by 3 and going to OT against Southwestern doesn't bode well for an upcoming matchup against a top 20 team.
southLaxFacts

New postby laxmarmot on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:38 am

Yeah can you dial it back some, I'm trying to watch a few teams build their programs and improve their Conference at the same time. No really it's okay ..... hammer each other it makes for better fan involvement.
laxmarmot

New postby southLaxFacts on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
southLaxFacts

New postby Cavitee on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I’m not sure there were any proclamations regarding an NC in the near future but there is some merit to the SAA closing the gap. You don’t need to look any further than Sewanee’s last 4 NCAA appearances to see that.
2014 - 21 goal loss to Lynchburg
2015 - 9 goal loss to Lynchburg
2016 - 4 goal loss to W&L
2017 - 2 goal loss to Lynchburg who in turn beat York in the second round by 2 as well. And it’s debatable if Sewanee was the best team in the SAA last year (see Rhodes undefeated in conference and a 1 goal loss to Sewanee in the conference final)

That seems like a pretty distinct trend. Considering each of teams you referenced have had lacrosse programs for over 45 years each (Roanoke - 1971, Denison - 1953 and WAC - 1948) compared to less than 10 for the SAA schools mentioned (Berry - 2011, Sewanee - 2008 and Rhodes - 2012) that’s tremendous improvement.
I believe this will continue with the new ER rules and limited athletic money in D1. Some of these boys will decide to find warmer climes and more PT with better merit money.
Will Sewanee, Rhodes or Berry ever beat Salisbury or Tufts, probably not but I wouldn’t be surprised to see an SAA team advance to the second round of the NCAA in the next few years. And let’s be honest that’s no more than anybody not named Tufts or Salisbury has done for awhile.
Cavitee

New postby laxmarmot on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Well said Cavitee, I like watching developing teams grow. The SAA, as well as the new USA South, have some attractive schools and offer a ton of PT to talented players. Southern teams will benefit from the Northern more storied teams coming down in the Spring time to sharpen their play. Sooner rather than later the Southern teams will knock off some of these established teams and then we will see those excuses come flying out. I CAN'T WAIT. :)
Last edited by laxmarmot on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxmarmot

New postby Beltwaylacrosse on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am

GHSLaxDad wrote:D3Fan, Do you randomly troll conference forums to make derogatory statements or is it more personal than that? I can think of 100K things you can be doing that are much more productive.

D3's trolling is nothing new. See attached. Good call by him, as Sewanee beat Noke that season. Guess that website was pretty sweet! Alas, we live in the age of 24 hour sports coverage, hot takes, and overreaction Monday.

Interestingly enough, 2014 SAA was D3's most active forum. I can't tell if he has something against the conference (or Sewanee, specifically) or if he's a self-loathing SAA fan; but, D3, I pity you either way.

I'm with Laxmarmot, a longtime poster here whose thoughts I appreciate, while his allegiances may differ from my own: there's nothing wrong with celebrating progress. Perspective is good, and thanks to Cavitee for offering that by sharing scores which illustrate it. No one on this forum has ever mused of a national title, and rightly so. Were we to, D3 would be right to call us delusional. We have, however, come a long way since the days of our top teams suffering 20+ to 1 goal beat downs at the hands of W&L, Noke, Lynchburg, and other "relevant" teams. The top teams in this conference can play competetive with--and on their best days, even beat--"relevant" teams, as recent years have clearly shown. That's progress.

No one thinks we're going to win a national title anytime soon. Odds are no team from this conference ever will. But a team from this conference will absolutely win a tournament game. And sooner than you might think. And, D3, before you tell me I'm delusional, see attached, for perspective.
Attachments
D3fanguy1975.JPG
D3fanguy1975.JPG (61.03 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
Beltwaylacrosse

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III