SUNYAC 2018

Re: SUNYAC 2018

New postby BobbyBooze on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:47 am

Extremely confident in that because if Geneseo were to beat Plattsburgh and Brockport were to lose to Oneonta on Saturday there would be 3 teams tied at 3-3 in YACs not just 2 teams. I think intially if there is a 3 way tie it goes to head to head matchups against those 3 teams that are tied. Brockport beat Oswego, Oswego beat Geneseo, Geneseo beat Brockport so that tiebreaker will not work because they all beat each other. The 2nd tiebreaker goes to goal differential between the 3 teams and their games against each other. it would look like this:

Brockport Beat Oswego 8-6
Brockport lost to Geneseo 3-2 = +1

Oswego Lost to Brockport 8-6
Oswego Beat Geneseo 5-3= 0

Geneseo beat Brockport 3-2
Geneseo lost to Oswego 5-3= -1

Brockport was +1 in goal differential
Oswego was 0 in goal differential
Geneseo was -1 in goal differential which is why they are already eliminated even if they win on Saturday.

If Brockport wins on Saturday and Platt and Cort lose on Sat then we would have a 3 way tie for 1st place in YACs with all 3 teams being 4-2 and it would go to the same tiebreak since Cortland beat Plattsburgh, Brockport beat Cortland, and Plattsburgh beat Brockport it would look like this then:

Brockport beat Cortland 10-8
Brockport lost to Platt 7-4= -1

Cortland Beat Platt 10-7
Cortland lost to Brockport 10-8= +1

Platt lost to Cort 10-7
Platt Beat Brockport 7-4= 0

So if this were to happen Cortland would be #1, Platt #2, Brockport #3.

Keep in mind this all based on Hypotheticals. If Cortland, Platt and Brockport all win Cortland is #1 and Platt is #2 due Cortlands win over Platt. Brockport would be #3 because they are 4-2 and both Platt and Cort are 5-1.

Brockport ends up with the 3 seed no matter what due to tiebreakers.

If you don't believe me then check out the SUNYAC website http://sunyacsports.com/sports/mlax/index

it already has Oneonta, Geneseo, and Potsdam eliminated.

Golden Eagles still need to show up on Saturday even though they are in. I will be very disappointed if they look past this game due to already being in YACs. Still a big tilt on Saturday in Oneonta. Golden Eagles need to prove they are the real deal. A big win in Oneonta on Saturday would fuel the Golden Eagles when they most likely head to Plattsburgh next Wednesday.
Last edited by BobbyBooze on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win or Lose, We Still Booze"
BobbyBooze

New postby BearDad on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:28 pm

I would not be so sure about Oneonta mailing it in.

Home game - probably senior day...
BearDad

New postby BobbyBooze on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I wasn't saying that they have already mailed it for the season or the game against Brockport. I was only referring to the game last night. They mailed it in last night, the 14-2 score proves that. Oneonta was in just about every game in SUNYACs game up until last night when they were demolished. I was as surprised as anyone to see that score. If anything the lopsided loss should fuel Oneonta against Brockport to prove that they are better than their previous game indicated. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear.
BobbyBooze

New postby BearDad on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm

What's interesting is that the score was 3-2 at halftime.
BearDad

New postby Platty on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Wow! Bobby Boozer that's quite an analysis.. you must have a lot of time on your hands..

I'm joking... I learn something new everyday on this forum.. Thanks again Bobby.

See ya at Plattsburgh next week. Should be a dandy.
Platty

New postby djp68 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Good, thorough analysis. I can’t see Geneseo giving Plattsburgh a serious scare. After a crazy start to the league season, the league is shaping up exactly as most of us envisioned: Cortland and Plattsburgh fighting for the top spot, Brockport close behind at #3, and everyone else hoping for the four spot with a slight edge to Oswego.

Based on yesterday’s results I’ll be very surprised if Cortland doesn’t host Plattsburgh for the league title next weekend. What will our champion do in the NCAA’s? I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I’m not holding my breath.
djp68

New postby BearDad on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:11 am

I agree that there is a very good chance of a Plattsburgh - Cortland rematch for the YAC title.

And I think Platty will defend their crown!
BearDad

New postby Platty on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:57 am

I agree that there is a very good chance of a Plattsburgh - Cortland rematch for the YAC title.

And I think Platty will defend their crown!

Can't count your chickens before they are hatched.

Brockport is very capable and well coached team.
Platty

New postby BearDad on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:45 am

So true Platty - so True.

My wife and I will be trekking up to Potsdam for the season finale tomorrow.

Safe travels to all our fellow YAC parents out there.

Who knows - I may even make one more trip this year to watch the YAC final in person next Saturday.
BearDad

New postby Platty on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:22 am

Plattsburgh took care of business yesterday, won 10-6 but it wasn't easy. :dance:

Plattsburgh had really nothing to play for because they had already secured the #2 seed in the SUNYAC playoffs but Geneseo had everything to play for because this was the last game for the Geneseo seniors.

Geneseo had their senior day and they were determined to come out swinging and they certainly did by jumping out to a 4-0 lead.

Plattsburgh would finally get their act together and get it back to 4-2 at half.

However, the 2nd half would be all Plattsburgh by outscoring the Knights 8-2. The Plattsburgh defense was lock down again in the second half by not allowing a single goal for the second straight game in the 4th qtr.

It was even more special when senior attack man #5, Ryan Hubbard, collected his 200th point for the Cardinals. What a terrific achievement. Congratulations to #5 and his family. :clap:

Stats for the game:

Shots were the same, 38 a piece.
TO's were virtually the same on a rain soaked filled field.
CTO's were virtually the same.
Ground balls - Plattsburgh had the edge 19-15.
Face-offs - Plattsburgh's #4 dominated at the X going 16-20.
Extra-mans opps were in Plattsburgh's favor 1-10, Geneseo 0-4.

Speaking of stats, the stat keepers at the game gave Plattsburgh players who didn't even travel some stats.

In one case, gave a statistic for a shot taken by a Plattsburgh player who not only didn't travel for the game but doesn't play for the team anymore.

What is up with that? :confusion-shrug:

Anyway, it's onto the playoffs with a home game vs Brockport.
Platty

New postby BobbyBooze on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:38 am

No big breakdown this week. I was extremely disappointed with the result this past Saturday. The Golden Eagles won just about every single statistical category but they did not win the only category that counts, the scoreboard. Brockport jumped out to a 4-0 lead. Oneonta would then go on a 7-1 run from 8:02 in the 2nd till the end of the 3rd quarter. The Golden Eagles would score the only goal in the 4th quarter with about 2:30 left. Brockport was gifted a man-up opportunity with :32 left to tie the game. The EMO worked and the Golden Eagles were able to get a good look but the Oneonta keeper was up to the task as he made the save and they won the game.

I hope Brockport was not looking ahead to their playoff matchup this coming Wednesday. The Brockport defense had not been broken down like that since their 2nd game of the season at Clarkson when they lost 11-1. They did not get off the bus that day. The defense gave up 7 goals in 1 ½ quarters but the rest of the game they gave up 0 goals. With the Brockport offense being hit or miss all year in terms of goals scored, the Golden Eagles cannot afford to have a lapse in their defensive play come Wednesday. Plattsburgh will make you pay and they are hitting on all cylinders at the right time in the season. It’s disappointing to see Plattsburgh beat this team 14-2 and then 2/3 days later Brockport loses to this team 7-6. Like I said before though, Oneonta definitely used their experience against Plattsburgh in the days prior to fuel their performance against Brockport. In years prior, coming off a 12 goal loss in your 2nd last game when you have already been eliminated from YACs, Oneonta probably loses this game by 5+ goals with their prior coaching staff and mindset. I must give kudos to Oneonta for ruining the day for the Golden Eagles and battling it out till the end. Good way to end the season for them.

Now it’s onto Plattsburgh Wednesday. I am not sure which Brockport team is going to show up... The one that beat Cortland or the one that showed up this past Saturday. Coaches can make all the adjustments in the world but ultimately, it is up the players to show up. Hoping my Golden Eagles can bounce back from this one and send our Seniors out with a shot at SUNYAC champ!
BobbyBooze

New postby BearDad on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:51 am

Good Luck to all of the YAC teams left standing.

Hopefully we see some tightly contested, exciting games on Wednesday.
BearDad

New postby Platty on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:47 am

Good Luck to all of the YAC teams left standing.

Hopefully we see some tightly contested, exciting games on Wednesday.

Plattsburgh vs Brockport will be everything a playoff game should be, I'm sure.

Cortland vs. Oswego I'm not so sure about. Hopefully, Oswego will prove me wrong.

Either way, it's very exciting to be back in the playoffs again. After losing 8 in a row, I wasn't so sure we would make it back.

It's amazing how much better the SUNYAC teams played each other this year with all of the "upsets" during the regular season.
Platty

New postby BobbyBooze on Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 am

The weather in Cortland and Plattsburgh looks to be shaping up nicely today for some YAC playoff action! Good luck to all the teams in action today.

Oswego @ Cortland:
I think Cortland takes this one and gets a shot at yet another SUNYAC champ. 12-5 Cortland.

Brockport @ Plattsburgh
I don't think it's any mystery who I am picking in this one...They say to pick with your head and not your heart. My head is telling me Plattsburgh has the advantage due to their recent play, but my heart is telling me the Golden Eagles are coming out on top in this one. Borrowing a saying from Syracuse Lacrosse, Brockport is going to need a lot of Head, Heart and Hustle in this one to come out on top. Can't get too high or too low in this one! Pulling for my Golden Eagles today! 9-8 Brockport.

Good luck @Platty. Looking forward to a great game!
BobbyBooze

New postby BearDad on Wed May 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Well the rematch is on...as I predicted. :D

Platty vs. Cortland

I hope Platty is up to defending their title!
BearDad

New postby Platty on Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Platty vs. Cortland

I hope Platty is up to defending their title!

BearDad

Thanks BearDad!

Great win by the Plattsburgh Cardinals. :clap:

Onto Cortland to defend the SUNYAC title. :dance:
Platty

New postby BobbyBooze on Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 am

Well, another season in the books for the Golden Eagles. I couldn’t watch the whole game as I had to my own game to coach. I did manage to catch the first quarter which was extremely sloppy for both teams. In the first quarter there were a combined 15 turnovers (8 Bport) (7 Platt) and the teams went a combined 6/12 clearing. It looks like the game was close all the way through. Platt would take a 1-0 lead into half. Platt would expand their lead to 3-0 in the 3rd. Brockport and Platt would then trade goals to make it 4-1 Platt. Brockport would end the 3rd on a 2 goal run to make it 4-3 going into the 4th quarter. Brockport and Platt would trade goals again in the 4th to make it 5-4 Platt with 6:35 left. Platt would end up scoring with :07 left to seal their 6-4 win. Shout out to Stevie Gurin for keeping Hubbard out of the goal scoring column and holding him to 1 assist. If you had told me before the game that Hubbard was only going to have 1 assist, I would have said Brockport wins this one but that was not the case.

Both teams would have trouble clearing the ball in this one but the stats that really stood out to me were GB’s and EMO. The GB battle was 9-9 after the 1st quarter…Platt would end up winning the GB battle 39-22. That means Platt out GB’d Brockport 30-13 the rest of the way, hard to win when the GB margin is that wide. Brockport would go 0-4 on the man up while Platt went 1-3. In win or go home games it’s important that you capitalize on your EMO opportunities. If Brockport was able to put in 1 or 2 of those opportunities the whole complexion of the game may have changed.

No one gave the Golden Eagles a chance when they went into conference play with a 2-6 record. They were an afterthought. I wasn’t too enthusiastic about their chances going into YAC play either but they sure as hell proved me wrong. This team was scrappy and had a lot of heart, made me proud to be a Golden Eagle with the way they fought. I’d say the theme of this season for the Golden Eagles was growth. They looked young in the beginning of the season but they were able to come of age when conference play came. Shout out to the coaching staff for their hard work this season. This team can hang their hat on the fact they were the 1st Brockport team to ever beat Cortland. Wish we had another shot at them but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Good Luck to all the seniors that gave everything they had to the program! I can tell you, there is life after lacrosse! Enjoy the last few weeks of college.

Good Luck to Platt and Cortland on Saturday. I will be rooting for Cortland in this one because I don’t think I can take another Plattsburgh win and chatter for another whole year :confusion-shrug: . I think it will be close one with Cortland getting some redemption. SUNYACs will be a 1 bid league this year. Win or go home. Good luck to both teams.
BobbyBooze

New postby ToastDunk on Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 pm

Cortland crushing Platty 18-6 with 20 minutes left to play in the game. Maybe Plattsburgh will have a BIG 4Q.
ToastDunk

New postby BearDad on Sat May 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Well - based on what Cortland is doing to Platty in this "championship" game I don't feel quite so bad about the Bears season ending loss to Cortland.

Cortland showed why they are the class of and a step above the rest of the SUNYAC.
BearDad

New postby LaxNews on Sat May 05, 2018 5:43 pm

It’s just a scrimmage.
LaxNews

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Men's - Division III